tfig opinion needed re: I35

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 01:25 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tfig opinion needed re: I35

Hey tgif,

I noticed you have an I30t and a TLS.

I've been close to ordering a TLS but thought I should give the I35t a look when it becomes available as last minute window shopping.

Specifically, what interior/luxury features does the I30 have that the TL-S does not and vice versa.

eg.
autodimming mirrors?
outside temperature?
remote triggered memory seats?
power rear sunshade?

Thx. (anyone else who knows feel free to answer too
Old 09-07-2001, 01:56 PM
10th Gear

I30

I am not sure about what the I35 will have but I considered the I30 when I was shopping last month (bought a TL).

The I30 did not have autodimming mirrors..maybe the rearview, but not the side mirrors.

You got the outside temp on the I30 but you had to press a button somewhere like near the AC system (I drove non-navi model). The temp would show for a few seconds.

No remote triggered seat memory but the seat would auto slide all the way back when you took the key out to allow for ease of exit/entry.

Power rear sunshade was standard on the I30, heated seats were an option.

The I30 sun roof glass was not tinted!
Hope this helps
Old 09-07-2001, 02:54 PM
Pro

cbob answers most of the question. I would definitely wait for the I35. But the hp claim is lower by Nissan. It is going to be 255 not 260. The outside temp. display is in the auto A/C system. You need to push an "AMB" button to have it displayed. The I35 is going to have 5 speed instead of the 4 speed.

I must admit the build and finish on my I30t is much better than the TL-S. Especially the sound system, the one in the TL-S is a joke. The Infiniti one is so much better.

Hope this help.

P.S. The service department on both brands are great. I consider the Acura a little bit better than the Infiniti.
Old 09-07-2001, 03:11 PM
Drifting

Thanks man,

You've made my decision a little tougher

5 hp is not going to sway my decision one way or another.

What I like about the TL :

1. 5 speed tiptronic
2. exterior looks
3. seems to be favoured among reviewers

What I like about the I30t (and probably I35t)

1. interior features/finish
2. split folding rear seats
3. stiffer suspension/better brakes

But for some reason, the Maxima SE does great in reviews and the I30 always gets trashed. I find that odd.
Old 09-07-2001, 03:26 PM
Pro

It is because the I30 always been under the shadow of Maxima. From the introduction of the I30 the style are pretty much alike. Starting the 2000 model, the I30 looks totally different than the Maxima. And I think Nissan is good at doing that. I traded my 2k Maxima for the 01 I30t. Not a moment of regret it. The driving experience is different.

What is your family situation? If you are single and not going to get marry for like said 4-5 years. Pick the TL-S. It is a fun to drive. If you are marries and had kids. I30/35 is the way to go. I am married and have one kid. These 2 cars gives me two totally different driving experience.
Old 09-07-2001, 03:46 PM
Drifting

Married no kids yet

We currently have a 92 celica gt (257,000 km's and the damn thing won't break down )

and a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T.

The problem is my wife and I both drive to work and fight over the A4 hehe.

I think I'm still leaning towards the TLS but I'll let my wife have a look at the I35 when it comes out.

I've never driven the i30 but I found the TL-S and Maxima very comparable in how they drive. How would you qualify the difference in driving experience between:

TLS
Maxima
I30?
Old 09-07-2001, 04:10 PM
9th Gear

You definately want to drive the I30 for comparison. After I test drove one, it was removed from the list of cars I would want. I found the wind noise was WAY too loud for me. Other than that, and the oval clock, I liked the car. But the road noise would drive me nuts!
Old 09-07-2001, 04:15 PM
Pro

The driving experience is really depends on your fell about the car.

I30-The moment I got a grip on the sterring wheel. You can feel this car is very solid and well build. I drive this car like once every 2 weeks. (Since the TL-S is a lease I put most of my mileage on the TL-S.) I am driving this car today and I really enjoy it. There is less wind noise and road noise than the TL-S.

TL-S-This car is my daily commute car. If you are behind the wheel on this car. You want to race every car that you encounter. I just need to control myself not to race anymore. It is a driver car. It is fun and the engine is responsive.

Maxima-I drove this car after my 92 Camry's tranny broke. The 92 Camry is a rock 140,000 miles. It is just the 710 fwy had killed the tranny. The Maxima had a solid built, too. But the feeling is different once you drive the I30 and when you drive the Max again.

Since you don't have a kid, yet. I believe the TL-S is more suitable for you.

P.S. The rear sunshade in the I30 is a very good feature.
Old 09-07-2001, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by tgif
cbob answers most of the question. I would definitely wait for the I35. But the hp claim is lower by Nissan. It is going to be 255 not 260. The outside temp. display is in the auto A/C system. You need to push an "AMB" button to have it displayed. The I35 is going to have 5 speed instead of the 4 speed.

I must admit the build and finish on my I30t is much better than the TL-S. Especially the sound system, the one in the TL-S is a joke. The Infiniti one is so much better.

Hope this help.

P.S. The service department on both brands are great. I consider the Acura a little bit better than the Infiniti.
i haven't seen anywhere where it says the i35 is going to have a 5spd auto...even infiniti's site says it's going to have an electronically controlled 4spd auto with lock-up torque converter.
Old 09-07-2001, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dean078

i haven't seen anywhere where it says the i35 is going to have a 5spd auto...even infiniti's site says it's going to have an electronically controlled 4spd auto with lock-up torque converter.
I can't believe Infiniti is putting a 4spd with the VQ engine
Old 09-07-2001, 05:28 PM
Pro

My bad it is a 4 speed. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2001, 05:32 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I too tested the Infiniti I30 prior to purchasing my TL. I love the rear sunshade thing. I am most impressed with the fit and finish of the car. very well built very snug. I chose the TL eventually because I have been driving honda since 1981.
Old 09-14-2001, 06:32 PM
Pro

My Infiniti sales just told me he got the I35. He will continue to have around 19 of them for the first week. I am going to test drive it and post my thought.
Old 09-14-2001, 07:49 PM
Racer

I had a 2001 i30T and I rided the thing for my AJB TL-S. The power sun shade was cool and the sound system was a little better but thats it! Over all the Acura has more features like all mirrors auto-tint, tinted moon roof, rear HVAC, much faster, ind rear suspension, pref. leather, dual power outlets, did I already say faster?

The I30T to me looks better then the new I35, and the I35 with true 260 not 255HP is still much slower then the TL-s (o-60 about 7.0-7.2) I had a few issues with mine, and hated the ride on non perfect roads with the rear beam mini-van suspension! I had a maxima before my I30 and I'm also and still a Nissan fan.

Also, the i35 is a one year (more like 7 month) model, after that is a all new car again, so think of the cars worth in less than a year. They just stuffed a larger engine, did a few body details that don't improve the look, and it still has a 4spd tranny. This car was just put out to kill time tell the all new platform comes out for 2003.

If you like to "drive" and great value and reliability at the same time, get the Acura hands down!
Old 09-16-2001, 06:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this i had to go through when getting my type-s... we wanted a jap. sport sedan/ luxury... and I30 and Lexus Es300 were our first choices... the TL-p was out but we didnt like the looks of it and it was quite cheap...well... we were about 70% sure that we were gonna get the i30...and while we were just waiting for time to pass by and purchase the car in the spring, the TL-S came out!
it was definately a car to consider...we test drove both and whoa what a difference in power... the tl-s has a great engine, but i think that my dad said the infiniti hadled better...(but thats why u can get springs and sways on our tls...hehehe)...

the i30 seemed to have alot of wind noise at highway speeds... but the engine was quieteer when stepped on... the tl-s had less wind noise but u could hear the engine growl at times... that we did not like... but as time went by the i30 seemed less sporty and we love the sporty engine noise now... gives u beads of sweat in ur hands when u hit the vtec zone...lol...

the i30 had a nice design, we liked it...more "classic" then other jap. cars... but the design of the TL is PURE japanese...very diff. and not so "classic"...came with sharp lines and an aggresive stance...

the i30 seems like a family sedan and the tl-s seems to be more sporty in many aspects...also... with the TL u get this ACURA-TL.com which i find veryyy imformative and fun to be around!! this is a true ACura ownership experice...lol...

also the curtains...they are a VERY good feature... too bad u cant get power ones in the tL but u can alway order the manual ones from japan...which i will do very soon...

pce