tested out a 330ci steptronic

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2001, 12:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tested out a 330ci steptronic

i gotta tell u guys about this. The car was fine, but it was also 42k. the thing here is that it's shorter so it turns better than our TLs. im 20 yrs old and got the TL when i was 17. not that im not appreciative to whatever god exists, but i feel bad because i wonder if i missed my "adolescence." i have always been practical and never thought of a coupe or a roadster (besides the s2k im gunning for now). i love the TL, but i just wonder about my past choices. please tell me what it's like to not be practical. I know i must be missing something.

by the by, the bmw steptronic starts in 2nd gear and it was floaty. much like the bmw navi, it sucked. but i did get to see two z8s, one m5, one m3 and a AC 330ci in the showroom.
Old 10-11-2001, 01:07 AM
Suzuka Master

geez...did I miss something u got a TL when u were 17? u know what I had when I was 17? I had an 87 Tercel and an 89 Hyundai Excel...so I don't know...my next car I don't wanna be pratical either by going for an NSX or some other sports/luxury car. Damn by the time I get one I will be 24/25. Damn time's awasting
Old 10-11-2001, 01:27 AM
Burning Brakes

practical is a blessing

Hey Boba, You're not the only practical person here. I have always been the epitome of practicality at school and with friends. You could have labeled me a "Vulcan" and wouldn't have been far off. Parents loved me cause they knew they could always trust me. I guess I was pretty boring.

College caused me to see things a little differently. There's nothing wrong with a little adventure in our lives, indeed the human spirit demands it. I found myself suddenly conflicting between my practical self and my indulgent self. Then I realized that I could not obtain what I really wanted without mixing the two dogmas.
I spent time observing others and how sucessfully they would combine their desires for fun and function. Some were successful, some were not. I came to the conclusion however, that those who strayed on the side of practicality were more often than not, better off. I've seen friends who have let their adventurous nature get the better of them. So be practical and be proud. My adventurous side wanted to get an Audi A4, but my practical side told me to go for the TL instead. I would say that I made the right choice.

-josh

P.S.: Yes, God does exist. I've discovered that too.
Old 10-11-2001, 01:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
BMW's Navi sucks...among the worst on the market..As for their step tronic, It's not as convenient to use as SS on our cars....I would NOT buy a Bmw without the Sport package...Although I know that all bmw 3 series cars come with the sport suspension stock now(for '02), a lot of previous owners complained about the 3 being too soft...The sports package includes more than just the suspension...wheels, interior creature comforts, etc..
Ed
Old 10-11-2001, 02:52 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The sports shift CAN start in 2nd gear, but it will can alway start in 1st gear.....
Old 10-11-2001, 05:42 AM
Burning Brakes

no, i mean it. it starts in 2nd gear. it felt fast. any idea why a car that weighs 100 lbs less than our cars with the same hp and 2 less torque feels faster?
Old 10-11-2001, 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

get the stick, i have a 01 330ci in stick and i'm loving it. it takes time getting used to but its worth it. I actually got a pretty good deal on the car, its a topaz blue 330ci with everything except the sport package (which i didnt get because i'm getting new rims) and the fact that they put the same suspension as the m3 in my car and he discounted it about 3g's. it came to like 38 and some change which isn't that bad. BTW i got the TL at 19 and now i just turned 21 this september and i don't regret anything getting this new car. but it is a lot more fun to drive than the TL and the engine sound...... unbeatable. people are always asking me if i put a exhaust on my car the way it sounds. its a deep low grumble that i love, especially when i punch it.
Old 10-11-2001, 08:52 AM
BDI
Banned

Originally posted by bobatimez
no, i mean it. it starts in 2nd gear. it felt fast. any idea why a car that weighs 100 lbs less than our cars with the same hp and 2 less torque feels faster?
RWD Perharps??
Old 10-11-2001, 09:01 AM

My wife just bought a 330CiC (conv.) and it handles like a dream, not the least bit floaty, and I have a GS430, which has a firmer suspension than the GS400, but still not as tight as my wife's car. They got rid of e-shift on my car (something about the engine, so it's on the GS300 now) so her steptronic can take me off the line momentarily, but with the top down going through the twisties, it can't be described, it's that good, like a Bimmorgasm
Old 10-11-2001, 12:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by bobatimez
Gearing????

Tony
Old 10-11-2001, 02:04 PM
Drifting

Gear ratio, less weight, RWD, it all counts.......

This is how I think the StepTronic works....

you put it in D, and the you pull it to the left.............

Then you will see S on the screen, that means you are in sports mode................. tap it down or up to change gear, that will enable you to access gear that you like....

From a dead stop, you pull it to the the left from D, pull it down (or push it up to 2nd then pull it back to 1st) It will start from 1st gear.........
Old 10-11-2001, 08:32 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SL1200MK4
Gear ratio, less weight, RWD, it all counts.......

This is how I think the StepTronic works....

you put it in D, and the you pull it to the left.............

Then you will see S on the screen, that means you are in sports mode................. tap it down or up to change gear, that will enable you to access gear that you like....

From a dead stop, you pull it to the the left from D, pull it down (or push it up to 2nd then pull it back to 1st) It will start from 1st gear.........
Exactly! My X5 has Step. and the car does start in second. Actually you can start it in 3rd as well (although not recommended) the fun thing is, you can downshift it to 1st.
Old 10-11-2001, 11:32 PM
Pro

" please tell me what it's like to not be practical. I know i must be missing something. "

There's not enuf space on this web site to even start on an answer to this....
Old 10-11-2001, 11:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

One thing about the bimmer is the steering, it turns on the dime, and is very tight...I think they still to this day make a very solid car...I would say that you should stay practical and maybe upgrade to a TLS or CLS...Stay away from the bimmer unless money is not an option and you have the chee$e to fork over when it runs out of warranty...German cars are solid, but as far as electronics they just dont have it...Styling and performance is all there with the 330, its just a hard car to upkeep that's all im trying to point out...good luck and try to stay in tha family...Shyne
Old 10-12-2001, 01:29 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by AC

Exactly! My X5 has Step. and the car does start in second. Actually you can start it in 3rd as well (although not recommended) the fun thing is, you can downshift it to 1st.
It does start in second gear? Hum... I didn't notice that when drove those cars... But you can downshift and start from 1st gear, that I am sure of...