sunroof leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 01:40 PM
Drive fast & swerve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sunroof leaking...

so I took my car in today for some random work (acctuator, mirror & routine mx) I also told them that my sunroof leaks now...when i go through a car wash (same one I've always gone to) water sprays in through the sunroof, when it rains outside, i just get drops. the dealer just called me and told me they have to keep the car overnight and think the problem is related to the service bulletin they completed a while back...they put some sort of tape on the frame of the sunroof hole to keep the sunroof from making rattling noises when it rubbed. has anyone experienced this problem? if so, what'd they do?

the good thing is that they gave me a new TL to keep overnight...not too bad considering I usually get a TSX. wish this one was the 6-speed...
Old 12-16-2004, 01:49 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

the tape they out on shouldn't cause any issues, unless they unscrewed it and messed it up. An improper job would could cause the water to bulid up and run into the cabin.

They'll probably have to reinstall the tape and make sure they tighten everything up.

Make sure you don't pay for this as this maybe caused by them. Did you check the seals around the sunroof prior to leaving it with them?
Old 12-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the clear tape that the dealer installed for the rattle noises is not the cause of your sunroof leakage. the installation took less than 45 minutes for me. then, after a week, started to peel. anyhow, question the dealer...hm..did they puncture the rubber hosing around your sunroof..point is - does not make sense what the dealer had told you.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Left = passing lane

Originally Posted by IndyTypeS
so I took my car in today for some random work (acctuator, mirror & routine mx) I also told them that my sunroof leaks now...when i go through a car wash (same one I've always gone to) water sprays in through the sunroof, when it rains outside, i just get drops. the dealer just called me and told me they have to keep the car overnight and think the problem is related to the service bulletin they completed a while back...they put some sort of tape on the frame of the sunroof hole to keep the sunroof from making rattling noises when it rubbed. has anyone experienced this problem? if so, what'd they do?

the good thing is that they gave me a new TL to keep overnight...not too bad considering I usually get a TSX. wish this one was the 6-speed...

Dealer put teflon tape around the inside of my sunroof well to stop rubbing noises from the sunroof while closed. Sounded sort of like if you rub your finger back and forth on a tire real fast. It was pretty annoying. I never had a leak, but they may have pushed back the seal too much or something when they installed the tape.

BTW, which dealer do you go to? I go to Hubler in Greenwood, but I'm not too impressed so far...
Old 12-17-2004, 08:33 AM
Drive fast & swerve

yea, I questioned the dealer yesterday about the seal being cut when they installed...I had already chewed this guy's butt out about something else, so I didn't go too much questioning once we got to this matter. I'm suppose to hear something this morning, will let you know. appreciate all the advice and input.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:37 AM
Drive fast & swerve

Originally Posted by Bluegrass
BTW, which dealer do you go to? I go to Hubler in Greenwood, but I'm not too impressed so far...
right now my car is at Ed Martin Acura...I've taken my car to both places and the service advisors are pretty much the same at both...incompetent and annoying. the good thing about Hubler is that they don't second guess the problems I tell them I'm having, Ed Martin acts as if the problems are in my head. However, on the flip side, Ed Martin always gives me a new TSX, except this time, the TL and I don't have to worry about having a loaner when I schedule it. Hubler has always given me the same 2000 RL, which isn't bad either, but it's on a first come, first serve basis.

oh, and the service manager at Ed Martin is tough as nails...her people bow down to her like a beaten puppy, which is sort of nice when you take your car in for the same problem multiple times.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:42 AM
Drive fast & swerve

well, i got my car back last night from Ed Martin...they "could not duplicate" my problem. I asked if it rained on the car and they said no, I asked if they took it through a car wash and they said no...so how the hell could they duplicate the problem if they don't replicate the conditions?! I'm so aggravated...large dealership bastards! I'm taking the car to Hubler Acura next week.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:08 PM
Left = passing lane

Unlike your description of Ed Martin, Hubler's service managers are rather pleasant to deal with. However, they can be condescending until you show that you know as much/more about TLs as they do. Watch their work as well. Forgot to tighten my oil drain once. They also have no secure parking area for overnight stays.

Good luck
Old 12-20-2004, 09:46 AM
Racer

my sunroof rattles too, you guys are making me scared to bring the car in, i dont want a custom shower in my TL.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:16 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I had leaks after getting my hail damage repaired. There are four drain holes on each corner of th sunroof. Those hoses that attach to them may have been disconnected. The headliner needs to be dropped and reattached to the drain hole ports.

This is especially true if your sunroof leaks right around the pillar area above near the left side of your head if driving, on the right side if in the passenger. Where the plastic meets the fabric area of the headliner.

They reattached mine, no issues now.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Left = passing lane

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I had leaks after getting my hail damage repaired. There are four drain holes on each corner of th sunroof. Those hoses that attach to them may have been disconnected. The headliner needs to be dropped and reattached to the drain hole ports.

This is especially true if your sunroof leaks right around the pillar area above near the left side of your head if driving, on the right side if in the passenger. Where the plastic meets the fabric area of the headliner.

They reattached mine, no issues now.
Not to jack this thread, but do these hoses terminate behind the mudflaps? My Legend had these rascals and they were always getting clogged with sh*t and backing up through the sunroof. Never thought it through that the TL might have the same setup.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:00 PM
Drive fast & swerve

Check this out, tonight on my way home I was cruising around 85 mph and I had the sunroof visor open and there was air coming in from the sunroof as if I had it cracked the slightest bit. I grabbed the rubber piece on the front of the glass and pulled it down and the air went away. I think Daggra105 hit on something suggesting the rubber around the glass could be punctured...nonetheless, I'll have it looked at again next week. Annoying...
Old 12-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Drive fast & swerve

Originally Posted by AcuraTl203
my sunroof rattles too, you guys are making me scared to bring the car in, i dont want a custom shower in my TL.
I had this same problem on my Accord. The dealer didn't tell me about the teflon tape to solve the problem, so about once every couple of months, I soaked the rubber piece with lithium spray and it solved the problem. So, try that if you'd rather not risk having the dealer mess around with the sunroof.