stock stereo trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock stereo trouble...

my stereo (mainly cd) seems to cut out or something every once in awhile. like it is losing sync with an mp3 if anyone is familiar with burning them.

hard to describe but the sound comes from the rr speaker i think... like ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch

then back to normal. even had it happen while the radio was playing. no specific times or places...

anyone have any ideas???

len
Old 12-19-2001, 06:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
For one thing, I don't think the stock deck is designed to play mp3's. I wish it was. If it happens w/ the radio too, I think you may have a problem. Warranty item.
Old 12-19-2001, 07:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: stock stereo trouble...

Originally posted by Type SSSS
my stereo (mainly cd) seems to cut out or something every once in awhile. like it is losing sync with an mp3 if anyone is familiar with burning them.

hard to describe but the sound comes from the rr speaker i think... like ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch ch

then back to normal. even had it happen while the radio was playing. no specific times or places...

anyone have any ideas???

len
I had that problem once. I burned mp3's onto a cd and played it in the car. Around the last song I got that weird noise!! It turned out to be the song was converted to mp3 incorrectly. I downloaded a better version and it worked!! Hope that helps!!
Old 12-19-2001, 10:02 AM
Having Fun?

cell phone?

Do you have a GSM cell phone? Sometimes GSM phones can cause interference when they are trying to connect to the network or just before you get a call.

Just a thought...
Old 12-19-2001, 10:24 AM
Instructor

i have a nextel cellphone but no web access and it happens periodically, not neccessarily while im on the phone.

my first thought was that the mp3 conversion was poor and i felt that way until the other day when it happened several times while i was listening to the radio. maybe the radio stations are pirating music too! :-)

i made an appointment with the stealer so hopefully it will act up while im there, if not maybe i can take out an rsx and beat on it.

thanks for the help

len
Old 12-19-2001, 10:38 AM
Having Fun?

I have the i85 Nextel phone, that is probably exactly what is causing it. Regardless if your using the phone or not, any time the signal gets week and the phone has to re-connect to the network it can cause interference with the radio (cd/radio/tape).

I found that by storing the cell phone in the drivers side door pocket thingy nearly eliminates the interference. I used to store the cell phone right under the stereo between the heated seat buttons and would here the interference all the time. I heard it less when I stored it in the cup holders. But now hardly at all since I started putting it in the door pouch.

Good luck.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:43 AM
Having Fun?

Try this to see if it really is your cell phone... Call someone (or some automated 800 number ), and move your cell phone around near the radio and see if you hear the tick..tick...tick.. noise.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:43 AM
Instructor

that has to be it...thats exactly where i store it!

appreciate it guys

simsimsalabim

len
Old 12-24-2001, 09:40 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Phone interference

My wife has a Nextel phone, and it drives me nuts. When we first got the car we couldn't figure out the source of our radio troubles, and took it to the dealer who didn't even look at it- just asked if we have a Nextel. When I told him my wife did, he said turn it off, and come back if there's still a problem- with the phone off the radio works just fine.

Now here's the question- does any other car have this kind of problem? I never even knew it existed!

For the record, my Ericsson T28 WorldPhone works fine, never gives any interference.
Old 12-25-2001, 01:05 PM
Having Fun?

Re: Phone interference

Originally posted by Laurelcrest
Now here's the question- does any other car have this kind of problem? I never even knew it existed!

For the record, my Ericsson T28 WorldPhone works fine, never gives any interference.
Every car I have been in with my Nextel causes this. I had a Nokia 8260 before and it had the same effect, but not as bad as the Nextel.
Old 12-26-2001, 12:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

merry x-mas
Old 12-28-2001, 01:49 PM
Racer

Re: Phone interference

Originally posted by Laurelcrest
My wife has a Nextel phone, and it drives me nuts. When we first got the car we couldn't figure out the source of our radio troubles, and took it to the dealer who didn't even look at it- just asked if we have a Nextel. When I told him my wife did, he said turn it off, and come back if there's still a problem- with the phone off the radio works just fine.

I think it is because Nextel phones have two-way radio feature which caused the problem.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:29 PM
1st Gear

>>I think it is because Nextel phones have two-way radio feature which caused the problem.

The problem being discussed here is most likely audio puncture noise (I work on wireless phones specializing in audio). This is caused by large ON/OFF energy bursts from the phone's radio that couples into the car stereo's analog circuitry. The magnitude of these bursts depends on the peak power that the phone is designed to deliver, and how far the phone is away from the nearest tower in the network. The frequency of these bursts is in the audible frequency range, often sounding like a geiger counter or popcorn popping. Also, the technology of the phone can be a factor, with GSM and TDMA phones more likely to cause problems than CDMA phones, due to higher output power requirements. The phone is switching its antenna signal on and off to save battery power. Most, if not all, digital phones do this.

From the discussion here, it sounds like Nextel phones may have higher output power than most others. The service provider typically didcates power requirements to the handset companies.

The major GSM/TDMA service providers include Nextel, AT&T and Cingular. The major CDMA providers incl. Verizon and Sprint.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:53 PM
Drifting

Yep, that's what it is: the radiated signals from the phone is coupling into the head unit's power rails. There's nothing one can do if it couples downstream from the power regulator except to shield the circuits better.

I have a Nokia 8290 GSM phone (Voicestream) and I get interference every time a call is coming in or when I switch cells.