Stock intake w/o res vs AEM CAI

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 12:56 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock intake w/o res vs AEM CAI

Ok, i know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but what is the difference between the sound of the stock intake with the resonator removed and the AEM cold air intake? Im interested in getting the intake for the sound only, but i already have my resonator removed, and i dont want to blow 200+ bucks for the same sound.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:55 AM
Acura TL-S

the sound is completely different... with the cai or even ram its much more... i dunno... sporty sounding.... with the resonator out, its just a lot louder, but doesnt get the same growl.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Aight, check it out. I got an Injen CAI and Magnaflow exhausts on my car. the exhausts are virtually silent but when i put the intake on, the car sounds like a ****in Monster. Especially once you hit like 4900 RPMs. If i'm correct, that's when the VTEC really Kicks in, but correct me if i'm wrong. I haven't done too much research on VTEC
Old 05-03-2002, 02:38 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by SpeedTrance
Aight, check it out. I got an Injen CAI and Magnaflow exhausts on my car. the exhausts are virtually silent but when i put the intake on, the car sounds like a ****in Monster. Especially once you hit like 4900 RPMs. If i'm correct, that's when the VTEC really Kicks in, but correct me if i'm wrong. I haven't done too much research on VTEC
yup, VTEC kicks in after 4800 rpm
Old 05-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Stock intake w/o res vs AEM CAI

Originally posted by CO-TLS
Ok, i know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but what is the difference between the sound of the stock intake with the resonator removed and the AEM cold air intake? Im interested in getting the intake for the sound only, but i already have my resonator removed, and i dont want to blow 200+ bucks for the same sound.
Noone can trully describe in you words what the sound is like. Your best solution is to attend your local meets and see them in person. If sound is the top priority then a short ram would be best. Unfortunately no short rams are currently available for the TLS...because if they did...then the Weapon-R Dragon Intake would probably best fit your description since to this date, I've yet to hear one that is louder.

P.S.
The one I know of is mounted on a CLS. The noise it makes on idle is increadible.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the info, everyone. As of now, i have decided to order the AEM cold air intake from snook in a few weeks. Hopefully it will be to my liking. I watched the videos of an acura meet(its posted in OT) and i was wondering what year TL(S) that was? I believe its the 180 video
Old 05-03-2002, 08:10 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ZodiakTL
the sound is completely different... with the cai or even ram its much more... i dunno... sporty sounding.... with the resonator out, its just a lot louder, but doesnt get the same growl.
Really The 180 video that is my stock without resornator and highflowfilter, but I have a type S box instead of TL-P box. Listen to the sound.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=39684
Old 05-03-2002, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Damn Bitium, i cant believe thats just a stock intake w/ a highflow filter! Is is the comptech filter?? Maybe i should just get the filter instead.

p.s. I love the way your car sounds
Old 05-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Bitium

Really The 180 video that is my stock without resornator and highflowfilter, but I have a type S box instead of TL-P box. Listen to the sound.
Would the TLP or TLS intake box produce different sounds?
Old 05-04-2002, 12:02 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CO-TLS
Damn Bitium, i cant believe thats just a stock intake w/ a highflow filter! Is is the comptech filter?? Maybe i should just get the filter instead.

p.s. I love the way your car sounds
I have heard both K&N and comptech and they both sound about the same. These filters are very good. Thanks

Originally posted by T.O.Accord

Would the TLP or TLS intake box produce different sounds?
Yes, the type S has a a bigger hole, making more sound, but if you get the type S box, for the 99-02 TLP, you will have to get the tubing from a CL 6 speed type S.

BTW I race another 99TL with Iridium's/Injen CAI/pulleys and it was a close race. He didn't have any more power than I did. The funny thing is that he thought he was going to kill me....hehehe not a chance.