Steering wheel shake (not related to tire balance)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel shake (not related to tire balance)

What could be other causes of a steering wheel shimmy at between 62 and 67 mph)?

Background: no shaking at all with original stock MXV4s on my 2003 TL. Replaced with Yoko Avid 4VS and after trying to get them balanced 6 times at 2 different shops, I gave up. Always had steering wheel shake over 60.

Got new tires yesterday ... Michelin Primacy MXV4s. They spin balanced them and I took it out and found it still shaking around 65. Took it back and the tech said he found one wheel that needed 1 oz of weight, which he fixed. This morning, going to work, the steering wheel shake is still there. I am currently plannign to take it back and ask for road force balancing.

I'm wondering if it is something other than tire balance, or, if driving with the possibly unbalanced Yokos (which I hated) for 25K miles may have damanged something. When I had the Yokos put on and they were dealing with balancing issues, they told me that one rim was slightly out of round, so I replaced it. I would find it hard to beleive that another is bent (though one was slightly bent when I bought it and had the dealership replace it due to a slight shimmy between 65 and 70).

So frustrating ....
Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 AM
T-Swzy

could try looking into this
https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/hub-rings-your-aftermarket-wheels-helps-reduce-wheel-vibration-703581/
Old 02-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the reply, Razzi. I have stock wheels. No hub rings.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

wow i have the same problem but only when i'm braking when going at speeds around 65 and up
Old 02-09-2009, 04:25 PM
268hp 301tq @7.8psi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe u have a bent wheel or bad tierod maybe a bad lower control arm have it looked at a repair shop not a tire shop remember they only sell tires for a reason
Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
268hp 301tq @7.8psi

Originally Posted by mlrskn06
wow i have the same problem but only when i'm braking when going at speeds around 65 and up
you have a bad rotor probley
Old 02-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes somehow try to get things spinning while you watch. Spin the wheels while the car is up in the air, and look for wheels that wobble. A warped rotor will shake at speed. An axle could be bent too. Different sets of tires have been balanced over and over so I don't think it's that.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the replies ... I may have them do Road Force balancing vs just spin balancing, and if the shake is still there, just take it to an Acura dealer and let them have at it to check for other causes (axle, tie rod, etc). It seems like it is worse sometimes than others ... I'll be at 65 with no shake, then hit 70 and get a shake, and still have the shake when I'm back down to 65. Usually the shake is there though (90% of the time).

Since the shake/shimmy started right when I got new tires 2 yrs ago, so I always assumed it had to be the tires. Could the tire shop have f**ked something up when they were changing the tires? I did replace one rim that they said was out of round, which ran fine with my MXV4 Energy tires. Maybe I should have them check again, but how common are bent rims? It isn't like I drive over foot deep pot holes at 50 mph every day, and I would assume it would take a helluva rough hit to bend a wheel. I sure as hell hope I don't have to start replacing wheels at $190/per (online).
Old 02-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I have dead hookers in

Well a bent rim could happen from a not so big hole. Your rim could have had a weak spot in it and it just finally gave in.. It could be a number of things but im gonna go with the above post and say its probably in your suspension somewhere

I had a slight shimmy or wobble in my front end and it ended being a bent tie rod.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:19 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
brake rotors are warped. common problem on the car.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Grippin' Grain

I got the shimmy/ shake thing when I'm doing around 45 to 50. Once above 50 then it goes away. My rotors are new so I doubt its that cuz its doesnt shake when I brake at all. Any ideas??
Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Some interesting reading on the subject here, starting at pg. 6:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B080100.PDF

Wish I had the previous parts of this article- this is part 4 of 5 on the subject!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by totaledTL
Good info there. I wonder how the tire shop would feel if I printed it out and brought it to them? Kind of like telling them how to do their job, but if it works, I'll do anything. So sick of the vibrations. I could just let the dealer take care of it, but it would likely cost quite a bit more. If it would fix it the first time, it would be worth it though.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Drifting

Maybe worth a try- just present it tactfully, not like you're a know it all & maybe they'll try it.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by totaledTL

Wish I had the previous parts of this article- this is part 4 of 5 on the subject!
Check out https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/steering-wheel-shaking-677806/

Looks like all of the links are there. The server where the files are stored seems to be hit or miss ... sometimes it serves 'em up immediately, sometimes it just hangs. Must be a Windows server instead of Unix!
Old 02-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Cruisin'

My 03' shook at high speeds when braking. New rotors on front cured that. Also wheels should be balanced on BOTH the outside and inside.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sb65
Check out https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677806

Looks like all of the links are there. The server where the files are stored seems to be hit or miss ... sometimes it serves 'em up immediately, sometimes it just hangs. Must be a Windows server instead of Unix!
Thanks! Now I have plenty of good stuff to read!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by socko
My 03' shook at high speeds when braking. New rotors on front cured that. Also wheels should be balanced on BOTH the outside and inside.
I just got new front rotors about 8 to 10 months ago, which didn't address the shaking issue. I did notice that only one front wheel has a weight on the outside ... the rest are on the inside.

I am debating on taking it back to the tire shop and ask them (and probably pay additional moolah for) to Road Force balance them. I think I'll pass along the balancing info from the link posted above as well. I will ask them to check the tie rods as well as the runout on each rim. If that doesn't take care of it, I'm taking it to the dealer to let them have a whack at it. I'm tempted to just to straight to the dealer ... I'd pay more, but chances are that they will fix whatever the issue is the first time.

When I first purchased the car (certified used Acura), it had a slight shimmy at 65 - 70 mph and I took it to them and they found and replaced a slightly bent wheel, so I confident that the dealer would keep working on it until they found the issue. Of course, it will probably cost me a lot more.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Rotate the tires to the rear and see if the problem goes away. If it does then you know its a tire/rim issue with one of the wheels. If not then you know its something up front like a axle
Old 02-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Rotate the tires to the rear and see if the problem goes away. If it does then you know its a tire/rim issue with one of the wheels. If not then you know its something up front like a axle
I'll try that tonight. I thought about doing that already, but when I first replaced the stock tires and the vibration issue started, they moved the wheels all over the place and the vibration remained. Last shop that tried to balance the previous tires also rotated back to front, which did not change the vibration.

Also, I get the steering wheel shimmy and I can also feel the vibration in my legs and a bit in the seat. You can see it in my water bottle in the console as well (like the water on the dash of the truck in Jurassic Park).

However, it will only take 30 mins or so to rotate back to front to see if there is a difference with the new tires.

I've been reading about tie rods, bushings, and ball joints causing similar issues. It's just suspicious that the vibration didnt' start until I replaced the stock tires.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 PM
2nd Gear

Automatic cars are more prone to rotor warping

Warping of the rotors occurs when excessive heat is built up in them and then while the car is stopped heavy brake pressure is continued to be applied. Heat dissipates from the rotor at a higher rate where the brake pads are contacting the rotor and this results in uneven cooling that causes warping. Automatic cars are more prone to this because they are always in gear and so the driver tends to brake more while driving and when at a stop. However, you can warp the rotors of most any car if you lay on the brakes, come to a stop, and then mash even further on the brake pedal. Don't forget there is also a power assist brake. If your wheel vibrates when braking, replace your rotors and try using minimal braking pressure to hold your car at a stop, or shift into neutral. Be particularly conscious of stop and go freeway traffic in hot climates and exiting the freeway at high speeds then coming to a complete stop. I warped mine when I exited the freeway and while at the light decided I needed something from the back seat. I caught myself standing on the brake pedal to push myself within reach of my CD case.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs down

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=vibration

I'm also getting vibration at 60-70mph on an 03 TL-S with 81K.

Even with brand new tires balanced and aligned twice by two different tire shops, vibrations still there so I decide to try new suspension and ordered F&F type I's and had it aligned again and it's still there.

I'm going to try replacing axle's and see how that works out.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Instructor

Let me know how the shaking/vibration issue progresses. I still have mine, and am just living with it for now. I think RoadForce balancing would detect a bent wheel, and the tires (Mich Primacy) all balance to within spec. Suspension looks good, according to the dealer. I'm at the end of my rope on this one ...