If the car is:
1) undriveable
2) unrepairable for 8+ hours

I believe that's it
Austin519
Old 10-22-2001, 08:44 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't buy the Acura TL again just because of the fear of losing my headlights again! That is just fvcked up spending 30k on a car and having to worry. I know its not not Acura's fault but it pisses me off that someone can steal our headlights and yet our stupid alarms don't go off? If I had knew about this issue beforehand, I would have spent a little more money and got the Lexus es300, which I think is more quieter and the fit and finish is better with great customer service. Now, I just can't park anywhere, and have to lock it up in the garage every night which is a pain in the @$$! The TL is good for just driving straight only! It should have came with the comptech swaybar instead of the factory one, and still it only helps so much. I admit that I bought it because it claims fully loaded that looks sleek IMO with a relatively decent price. Sorry for the venting.
Old 10-22-2001, 07:30 PM
Banned

Geez Miles...go get the Comptech Swaybar then...of course if it came with it then they couldn't sell it as extra could they? Also, go get some security bolts from Home Depot with hex heads...I promise you won't get your headlights stolen...

Austin519
Old 10-22-2001, 08:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Austin519
Also, go get some security bolts from Home Depot with hex heads...I promise you won't get your headlights stolen...
How are those going to stop a crowbar?
Old 10-22-2001, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by Miles
I wouldn't buy the Acura TL again just because of the fear of losing my headlights again! That is just fvcked up spending 30k on a car and having to worry. I know its not not Acura's fault but it pisses me off that someone can steal our headlights and yet our stupid alarms don't go off? If I had knew about this issue beforehand, I would have spent a little more money and got the Lexus es300, which I think is more quieter and the fit and finish is better with great customer service. Now, I just can't park anywhere, and have to lock it up in the garage every night which is a pain in the @$$! The TL is good for just driving straight only! It should have came with the comptech swaybar instead of the factory one, and still it only helps so much. I admit that I bought it because it claims fully loaded that looks sleek IMO with a relatively decent price. Sorry for the venting.
while the Acura seems to be very popular due to Honda owners probaly retrofiting them, other makes such as Audi and others are being targeted as well.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:30 PM
Banned

pianoman41:
They're not crowbaring it from what I hear...they're just unscrewing them. If you crowbar those things, they'd look like sh!t, and VERY stolen for that matter...plus you'd scratch the chrome and bust the bulbs. I heard that they were going around with a wrench or some such...not crowbaring the things...

Austin519
Old 10-23-2001, 07:29 AM
Banned

pianoman41:
They're not crowbaring it from what I hear...they're just unscrewing them. If you crowbar those things, they'd look like sh!t, and VERY stolen for that matter...plus you'd scratch the chrome and bust the bulbs. I heard that they were going around with a wrench or some such...not crowbaring the things...
Several people on this list posted having their lights stolen--with crowbars. They don't want the housing (it's not going to fit into many other cars) so they don't care how damaged it gets. They just want the guts--the ballast, the inverter and the bulb. And two pops with a crowbar is much faster than five screws. Plus, as posted before, most of the damage from stealing headlights comes from trying to get at them. Sure, you may keep someone from taking them with security screws, but by the time they discover they can't unscrew them, a lot of damage has already been done (hood lip bent, bumper cover/grille smashed, etc). Once they realize they've been had, they make take out their frustration on the rest of the car.

And I've had both my headlights out of my car and can say that a crowbar would be faster and easier than unscrewing the screws. Security or not, they're probably going to disapper. The only real way to deter them is a good aftermarket alarm with a shock sensor. Hopefully the presence of one or the sound when it goes off will move them along to another target.
Old 10-23-2001, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Geez Miles...go get the Comptech Swaybar then...of course if it came with it then they couldn't sell it as extra could they? Also, go get some security bolts from Home Depot with hex heads...I promise you won't get your headlights stolen...

Austin519
FYI I do have the comptech swaybars already, but I still can't make sharp turns and have to go slower then most cars making the same turn. I do feel a difference and a improvement but maybe its the car or myself, i don't know. I just see other cars turning faster then me, and if i do the same i'll be shifted to one side and feel unstable. Maybe our cars are too long and thin?

Last night, my boiler or whatever you call that thing to make or hold hot water leaked next to the garage and my father was moving things around that filled up the garage so I couldn't park inside. I was gonna park it on the drive way but felt uneasy and scared again, so I had to clean up the friggin garage at 1:30am to park my baby in.

I just can't sleep thinking that those mofos will strike again because when I got a loaner for my stolen headlights, the people at Enterprise told me another guy got his headlights stolen twice within a month! Apparently, those bastards gave him enough time to repair and they came back for a 2nd raping! And Enterprise said they have at least 5 cases per month in the Brooklyn, Bay Ridge area.

I really want to sell it now but I just spent too much money on mods, I'm gonna have to take a BIG hit if I do. I just can't have a car and have to worry about it day and night
Old 10-23-2001, 09:27 AM
Drifting

Hmm, I wonder if using a car cover will deter the thieves?
Old 10-23-2001, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

I know how you feel...It's like you can't park your car anywhere

Hey Miles what part of Brooklyn are you from?
Old 10-23-2001, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by daverman
Hmm, I wonder if using a car cover will deter the thieves?
I'm thinking about it, would it help? I mean if they never check out the area before it might work, but they know that I parked around there in the past and if they see a car with a cover, I bet they gonna check it out, thats what i think, even with a cover, its not a guarantee, only true way is to lock it up at night in your own garage.

I live around 65th St. and 12th Ave.
Old 09-22-2002, 04:08 AM
Cruisin'

im with bitium, STOP YOUR CRYING!!
those complaints are minor. they all have service bullitins out for those complaints.
center console - updated latch
dr seat sqeek - appy felt tape to track and tweek track.

ask your dealer to check for bullitins on those complaints. if you dont like your dealer, then try another.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Life is about enjoying it and finding what's right, not about looking for what's wrong. No matter what car you buy, you can love it or criticize it to death. I don't think this guy will ever be happy.

'00 TL-P owner, 124,682 miles.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:47 AM
All Hail the Chief

Funny how problems mean different things to different people. I too have the armrest popup problem, and the creaky seat, and the creaky sunroof. They don't bother me at all.

I might get the armrest checked out next summer when the weather gets hot again, but everything else is no big deal. I certainly love my car and plan to drive it for many years to come. Granted it might go into "beater" status when I get my new E55 AMG Benz, but that's still a fantasy, so I'll do with the TL just fine.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:27 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
this thread is almost a year old...how the hell did it come back up?
Old 09-22-2002, 01:00 PM
Advanced

Miles...sounds like you need to move to a better neigborhood. In any case if you are so worried about your car invest in an aftermarket alarm. Any qualified installer should be able to piggyback an aftermarket system with your factory system to give you even better protection. As I'm sure you've already learned Factory alarm systems usually amount to nothing more than an alarm that triggers when a door is opened and can be quite easy to defeat. An after market alarm can add hood/trunk protection, a shock sensor and even a proximity sensor. Even if you had a beater some young punk would fuk with your car just to fuk with it. Good luck whatever you do.
Old 09-22-2002, 03:13 PM
I'M Rich Beeyoch!

Scary indeed, my neighbor has a 2003 Maxima and got her lights stolen. My ride is garaged kept and she usally has it in her garage also but two nights ago she decided to leave it outside and it happened. The @sswipes that are stealing the lights just want the guts. they dont want the housing at all. I spoke to one kid who has a 96 accord with HID's I asked him were did he buy the lights he told me that he bought it from a kid in the streets who took them of a CL. Paid $100 for both with everything that was taken. Invest in an alarm that has proximity and shock sensors trust me you 'll sleep better at night.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:50 PM
Instructor

ok..I've had many problems w/ Acura, I know it comes to a point that u will hassle every little thing, but that only happens when mulitple problems arise. So what do u do, live w/ the noises, try to get them fixed? and if they dont get fixed then what? I for one will buy a nicer car, i was in the mode to purchase another 30K car, f-it now, I'm going for a 50K (GS430) if that start to rattle then I give up and I'll come back to this forum and warn every1 to keep the TL...
Question for NSX, if u complain of a rattiling over 3 times(like the seatbelt or dashboard ) and not get fixed could that be considered a Lemon Law, even if its something as frivolous as a noise from something costing only $50?????
Old 09-24-2002, 10:25 PM
Racer

Man....you know...Im pissed I bought my Tl...now that the Mc Laren F1 is available.