starting to regret TL purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2001, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starting to regret TL purchase

OK the car still has only 2500miles and every couple of hundred miles a new problem pops up.

The rattle from the front passenger side is back and even worse. The dealer claimed it was the fuse lid on the side of the dash but that seems weird.

The center console lid still fails to latch, especially when it's hotter outside (??).

And to top things off, now the driver seat is squeaking very loudly especially when i shift my weight (going around corners, bumps, etc.).

I called the dealer and told them i'm going to give them a terrible survey and the manager didn't even call back. I'm going to call and write to Acura and see what happens. I'm also going to check into the CA lemon laws.

This is just unacceptable.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

It's easy to get frustrated, but the center console lid problem and the seat creaking are known problems for which there are effective fixes.

Hang in there!
Old 08-30-2001, 10:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think you qualify for the Lemon Law.

The following is intended to give you a general example of the definition of a State "Lemon Law." It is Section 1793.22 of California's Civil Code that makes up California's Lemon Law. Laws will of course, vary from state to state.

California's Lemon Law - California Civil Code Section 1793.22
California's consumer warranty law requires the manufacturer of a new motor vehicle leased or sold with a manufacturer's written warranty to repair the vehicle during the warranty period so that it conforms to the warranty. The vehicle may be a new car, van, truck or the chassis portion of a motorhome, but it must have been purchased or leased for nonbusiness use. The Lemon Law applies to used vehicles only when they are still covered by the Manufacturer's original warranty.

If the manufacturer or dealer cannot fix the vehicle to conform to the warranty within a "reasonable" number of repair attempts during the entire period that the warranty is in effect, then the manufacturer must replace the vehicle or reimburse the buyer or lessee for its purchase price, whichever the consumer prefers (less a mileage offset for the consumer's use of the vehicle prior to the first repair attempt).

The Lemon Law uses a presumption as a guideline for determining whether a "reasonable" number of repair attempts have been made on a new vehicle. In order for the buyer or lessee to use the Lemon Law presumption, all of the following must be true:

The manufacturer or its agents have made four or more attempts to repair the same problem, or the vehicle has been out of service for more than 30 days (not necessarily all at the same time) while being prepared for any number of problems.

The four repair attempts or 30 days out of service have occurred within 12 months of the vehicle's delivery to the consumer or 12,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

The problems are covered by the warranty, substantially reduce the vehicle's use, value or safety to the consumer, and are not caused by abuse of the vehicle.

If required by the warranty materials or by the owner's manual, the consumer has directly notified the manufacturer about the problem(s).

If all of these criteria are met, the Lemon Law presumes that the buyer or lessee is entitled to a replacement vehicle or a refund. However, a replacement or refund may not be automatic; the manufacturer is entitled to prove that no problem exists, that a reasonable number of repair attempts have not been made, or that the problem does not substantially impair the vehicle's use, value or safety. Even if your car does not fit the presumption criteria, you may still be entitled to a buy back if you show that your vehicle has been in for a reasonable number of times or cannot be repaired.

Note that if the manufacturer provides a certified arbitration program, the buyer or lessee must submit the dispute to the program before he or she can sue the Lemon Law presumption in a lawsuit against the manufacturer.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:29 AM
Advanced

I would be able to under:

"safety to the consumer"

The console lid flying open hit me in the elbow and caused loss of steering control.

This in fact has happened several times and potentially could cause and accident.
Old 08-30-2001, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
The only probelm we both shared is the drivers side seat squeeking. But it wasnt actually my seat, but the seat belt buckle rubbing against the inside of its holder. A spray of WD40 inside the seatbelt holder got rid of most of my squeek. A little grease if you have some would probably cure the problem.

Its odd your dealership claims the rattle is from the fuse panel, but yet they cant or dont want to fix it??? Have you tried another dealership??
Old 08-30-2001, 10:46 AM
Pro

Agreed with Mr. Hyde, maybe you want to try another dealership. Mine is rattle and squeak free. Hope you solve your problem soon.
Old 08-30-2001, 12:15 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are minor problems but I agree that you should take it to a different dealer to see what they say.
Old 08-30-2001, 05:13 PM
Racer

No one can tell you that you have to love your car, but these really sound like minor problems to me.

A little perspective: No mechanical problems right? Car is smooth and fast? Like others mentioned, the problems you've cited all have simple fixes.

Buy hey man if you aren't happy with your car, you don't need an excuse from us! Huck it!
Old 08-30-2001, 05:28 PM
Cruisin'

Yes I also regret getting a TL, now that the Mercedes CL600 is out.
Old 08-30-2001, 05:59 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by No Headlights
That's a pretty big $$$ difference. They aren't even in the same class.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have the armrest flying up also but I took it to the dealer yesterday for its 15K service. I told them about the armrest & screws are missing from underneath the lid of it. I told them about the seat poping sound also but it only did it once in the 19 months of having the car. I told them about the brakes when braking- slowing down from highway speed. The rotor/pad problem. Do I consider my car a lemon no not at all. What you might call a lemon is a car that cuts off all the time when driving it. This would be a safety concern. If you have to take it back to the dealer for the same problem more than 5 or six times.
The TL has had less problems than any other Honda that I have owned. My last 2 Accord were best selers & are rated high as best used cars. Acura just called me at 5:30pm to let me know my car is ready. I will go out & get it in the mourning & take back the 2001 Integra loaner car. They replaced rotors & pads under warranty tightened the armrest. They could not get the seat to do the pop again but it is on record. It has not did it for me in 2 months & only did it one day. They changed A/C filter & air cleaner like I told them & did the 15K service. Many other cars have more minor problems than the TL have when new.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:43 PM
Pro

Yeah, after 3 trips the dealer can't fix the seat squeak problem. Even after they claimed to adjust (I think they bent something) the seat frame cuz the buckle was rubbing against it, still the noise was there. Finally, couple spray of WD-40, took care of it. Now, I worry for my safety, I don't now what did they "adjust" or bend, but my buckle is a lot closer to the center console comparing to the passenger side.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by eyedrj
I would be able to under:

"safety to the consumer"

The console lid flying open hit me in the elbow and caused loss of steering control.

This in fact has happened several times and potentially could cause and accident.
no one would ever buy that (even though it's probably somewhat true)
Old 08-30-2001, 08:23 PM
aTL
Instructor

You've got to get in the ass of that dealership you have to call constantly and voice your concerns if one guy can get the damn job done talk to the next son of a ***** in line until you get some progress to your consumer needs. You have to raise hell there is no way you should shell out money for a rig and not get any service under your warenty i would be in there ass until i got what they owe me.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After browsing so many boards and seeing 'real' problems, this is nothing. Think about it....would you rather be posting about car not starting, stalling, rough idle, fan belt fires, or just complain about some minor squeaks? I'm not trying to be the bad guy here but I know squeaks can be annoying, but I doubt you would qualify for the Lemon Law because they can't fix squeaks and rattles....just my .02
Old 08-31-2001, 12:24 AM

Hey man I feel your distress. I bought a used 99 tl with 15k and it is a great car with a couple "minor" problems. Yeah its pretty fast. Yeah it rides pretty good, but that damn squeaking from my driver seat and armrest drives me nuts. I don't know if I'll every buy another Acura. I also have a 2k Limited 4runner and I haven't heard a squeak ever. Maybe lexus is the way to go in the future...maybe.
Old 08-31-2001, 04:37 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
About to go to sleep, and really don't have time to read all the posts......

All I can say is that I feel your pain.......

while many others said that Acura got great quality and service....

I got treated like cr@p........ and the quality really sucks.........
Old 08-31-2001, 12:20 PM
Retired MOD

Just sell your TL and buy something else then you will really regret that plus stop crying like a little girl.
Old 08-31-2001, 02:40 PM
Advanced

BITIUM :

GFY. biotch.
Old 08-31-2001, 03:27 PM
Retired MOD

Still crying :p :p

Originally posted by eyedrj
BITIUM :

GFY. biotch.
Old 08-31-2001, 04:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Play nice kids.
Old 08-31-2001, 04:18 PM
Retired MOD

Hey mind your own business

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
Play nice kids.
Old 08-31-2001, 04:26 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the idiots at the local dealership still haven't fixed all the squeaks and rattles in my car....and I've taken it in at least 3 times for each problem. I know I should take it to another dealer but the closest one is 45 minutes away...and it's too big a hassle to drive there and drive back. But I'm still completely infatuated with my TL despite all its minor annoyances.
Old 08-31-2001, 05:11 PM
j83
Pro

Thumbs down i dont know what your preference is

its a machine that it takes you from point a to point b,
you thinking bout these lil minor squeeks and letting it bother you

would rather be unfortunate and being poor and driving a ol beat up 89' civic that doenst even run right every body panel is just shakin like crazy, every part of the car is disturbin

well you just only said that you regret what you bought
but just remember you drive that car around and start finding the good things to it youll realize that youll find that its a good car
Old 08-31-2001, 05:18 PM
Advanced

Some of these dealerships are family owned, if this is the case write to the owner and drop the names of the service people you tried to work with. Keep the letter professional, no name calling, etc. and be specific on what you want them to do to make you happy.

If the dealership is part of a mega-chain, you should still try to find the 'CEO' and do the same.

It's amazingly simple and almost always get things done. If they still don't follow through then try Acura Corporate, but chances are it won't make a difference unless the dealship gets enough complaints that Acura would provide some presssure.

BTW: I've had much worse experiences with BMW Service than Acura.

good luck
Old 08-31-2001, 08:36 PM
Racer

Hey eyedrj,

Sorry to hear about your issues. Regardless of whether they qualify as "major" or not, they're still inconveniences that are impacting your buying experience. Personally, I HATE rattles and squeaks and things that aren't perfect. Thankfully (knock on wood) nothing's happened to mine, but I sympathize with your feelings.

Just curious, as I'm just up the road in Suisun City - what dealer are you working with? I bought mine in Concord, but haven't been back in the 3 weeks since purchase.

Good luck!
Old 09-03-2001, 09:02 PM
Instructor

i agree with you eyedr j, we are leasing our acura its a 2000, and it only had 17,000 miles on it, and already the sunroof rattles, the seats do, everything does, the trunk. before this car we had a 1993 infiniti J30. it had 48,000 some miles on it. despite being 7 years old the infinti was 3 times more solid than the acura. when we got rid of it. it was still squeak, rattle, shake and any other noise free. and yet the prices of the two were in the same range. i cant believe that honda considers this luxury, i think of it as a glorified honda. seriously. the price is outstanding, plus, i would hate to see this car when the lease is up. other than that i think its alright, i do love the engine, and drive train. other than that i give it the 1 thumbs up
Old 09-04-2001, 07:50 AM
Racer

Originally posted by No Headlights
Uhh, yeah...I regret it too. Should of got the new Rolls Royce or Bentley. Damn I screwed up!
Old 09-04-2001, 08:34 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by nickchop

Uhh, yeah...I regret it too. Should of got the new Rolls Royce or Bentley. Damn I screwed up!

I managed to fix every one of the rattles and squeaks in my TLS, and it's smooth as butter now. I absolutely love this car!
Old 09-04-2001, 10:10 AM
Advanced

thebeaud:

I purchased it at Solano Acura but take it to Concord Acura because they claim to have that Precision Team award for the last 3 years. I figure they earn this rating due to exemplary service.

Personally, I think rattles are problematic because something is loose ie. not attached properly. Squeaks are less annoying to me because it is just something rubbing. Either way, this is poor quality control for a claimed luxury vehicle.

I think I've isolated the squeaking sound the the seat belt holder.

My 1991 Plymouth Vogayer is more rattle free thank my 2001 TL - does that sound right to yoU ??
Old 10-20-2001, 01:02 AM
Banned

Just a little thought...

Although I see some of you like to be really anal and brow-beat the guy that's upset about his car squeaking because you say "well at least it's not something worse".

That's a really stupid argument. I mean, if you paid 15k for this car, then ok, I can understand....even if you paid 20k, and even then the squeaks would be a thing...but most of us paid close to or over 30k for our cars. I hate to say it, but for 30 grand, the car shouldn't have squeaks everywhere, loose parts, and the lot. The car should be designed so that such things don't exist, or can be fixed by the dealer immediately. This guy who's complaining, I totally understand. He's pissed because he spent what I would consider a LOT of cash on a car (sorry for those rich b@stards on here that'd disagree), and it's not working under the designed conditions. I mean come on guys...saying he's being a baby is retarded. And sitting here saying "it could be worse" is even more pathetic...it means you're GLAD you car isn't exploding or dropping parts on the highway and that comforts you? Wow...

And that's my 2cents
Austin519
Old 10-20-2001, 01:59 AM
Grand Turismo

Preach on Brother man

Originally posted by Austin519
Just a little thought...

Although I see some of you like to be really anal and brow-beat the guy that's upset about his car squeaking because you say "well at least it's not something worse".

That's a really stupid argument. I mean, if you paid 15k for this car, then ok, I can understand....even if you paid 20k, and even then the squeaks would be a thing...but most of us paid close to or over 30k for our cars. I hate to say it, but for 30 grand, the car shouldn't have squeaks everywhere, loose parts, and the lot. The car should be designed so that such things don't exist, or can be fixed by the dealer immediately. This guy who's complaining, I totally understand. He's pissed because he spent what I would consider a LOT of cash on a car (sorry for those rich b@stards on here that'd disagree), and it's not working under the designed conditions. I mean come on guys...saying he's being a baby is retarded. And sitting here saying "it could be worse" is even more pathetic...it means you're GLAD you car isn't exploding or dropping parts on the highway and that comforts you? Wow...

And that's my 2cents
Austin519
Old 10-20-2001, 09:44 AM
Shogun Assassin

He's pissed because he spent what I would consider a LOT of cash on a car (sorry for those rich b@stards on here that'd disagree)
Even you're loaded, 30 K is still a lot of money....assuming you worked hard for every penny and appreciate the value of a dollar.
Old 10-20-2001, 10:52 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Someone from this board got brand new TL because he had too much problems on his 00TL. May be you should ask him how...

Originally posted by JMan
GETTING A BRAND NEW 2002 TL FROM THE DEALER DUE TO ALL OF THE PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD, WHOO HOO....:p
Old 10-20-2001, 02:15 PM

I have had my 2000 DWP TL with Navi for 19K miles. I have had no real problems other than those that were self inflicted (ouch). I had to have the winshield washer tubing replaced but I consider that just a nuisance.

My previous ride was a 1997 Mercedes C280 Sport. I purchased this new with the idea of keeping it for a very long time. I traded it in on my Acura just after the warrantee was up and was GLAD to be rid of it! I owned the car for 36 months and it was in for repair during that time 31 times. Rattles in the dash, doors, rear deck and trunk. Electrical problems resulting in the instrument pod being repaired and/or replaced twice. Leaking timing chain cover (twice), leaking head gasket, transmission leak (twice), differential leak (four times), differential failure and replacement, transmission control module failure. One thousand miles after the diff was replaced, it was leaking again. Mercedes customer service was just about useless. I checked out CT lemon law, but the car did not fit their criteria!

When I purchased the Acura TL I knew it was a bit like a Honda in fancy clothing. That was what I was hoping for. Honda makes a reliable car and so far I have not been disappointed.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought you would like to see how other luxury cars fair. Sure makes a few rattles seem minor.
Old 10-20-2001, 07:12 PM

Austin, I'd have to agree to disagree Everything be relative, someone who has saved up say $15k doing the worst possible job, expects alot from their car only because they know what it took to achieve it, not because the car may in fact be a POS. Someone who has driven $60k+ cars for the past ten years and buys a $30k one as a beater doesn't expect or appreciate it to perform as a car twice it's price. Add to the fact that many people connotate luxury with quality, quietness, luxuriousness and Acura sells it as such, then said buyer expects just that and nothing less. A $60k Hummer has a very sparse interior and ride, Corvettes for the longest time had rattle problems (because of fiberglass) but these buyers know it comes with the territory. You could buy a $50k LS400 that is quieter than a $150k Bentley, it all depends what you look for. Rule of thumb is that, as you move up within a car line, quality of materials will increase i.e better plastics, better suspension, better leather, etc. and I assume that is the case with the RL, maybe I'm wrong. If an Acura dealer tells you that "hey, that's what you get, it's an entry level vehicle", either move up when you can or look for another dealership, or even another company.
Old 10-20-2001, 08:00 PM
Banned

BakedWafer:
Why thank you =)

TedC:
Good call...I agree with your point too. However, about your Corvette vs. Hummer thing...if Acura wants to market their cars as luxury (and they do...when I was haggling the price of mine with the dealer, he said "you want cheaper, go get a Honda, it's not luxury") then I should hope that they come through on that. Otherwise they shouldn't be in the business. Agreed RL is top of the top for Acura, but Acura insists all their cars are luxury...in which case I hope they want to prove it. That's my beef with it.

fahoumh:
"Even you're loaded, 30 K is still a lot of money....assuming you worked hard for every penny and appreciate the value of a dollar."
Actually no, I am anything BUT loaded. I had a fully loaded 96 explorer, which I sold with an enormous amount of computer equipment in it to a buyer. I got the car for $17500, put $3000 of equipment in it, and sold it for $15000. Considering that I had it for 4 years (bought it used), it was a steal. I worked up the money from computer building etc and was able to put out the extra $15000, with a loan which I've paid off. So no, I'm anything but loaded...I'm a college kid

Austin519
Old 10-21-2001, 02:32 PM
Shogun Assassin

fahoumh:
"Even you're loaded, 30 K is still a lot of money....assuming you worked hard for every penny and appreciate the value of a dollar."
Actually no, I am anything BUT loaded. I had a fully loaded 96 explorer, which I sold with an enormous amount of computer equipment in it to a buyer. I got the car for $17500, put $3000 of equipment in it, and sold it for $15000. Considering that I had it for 4 years (bought it used), it was a steal. I worked up the money from computer building etc and was able to put out the extra $15000, with a loan which I've paid off. So no, I'm anything but loaded...I'm a college kid
sorry, it should say "Even if you're loaded,..."
Old 10-21-2001, 05:04 PM
Banned

Ah, makes a lot more sense

Austin519
Old 10-22-2001, 02:35 AM
Instructor

how do you get a loaner car? I am about to bring my 2002 TLS for repairs for the fourth time now and I never get a loaner car.

repairs:
1. both front fender liners
2. center console replacement
3. right side fender liners
4. right side fender liners
5. right side fender liners (next week)

I also need them to check my squeaking seat.

Quick Reply: starting to regret TL purchase