SS and Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 03:12 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry SS and Check Engine Light

I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what's going on...

I have a 2000 TL non type s.. I was driving in SS mode in 2nd gear, got a phone call and answered it...forgot that i needed to shift cause i really can't hear the engine in the tl well, it's too quiet....and i hit the rev limiter and stayed there for a couple seconds and my check engine light starts blinking like crazy, so i see this and i shifted into 3rd and the check engine light just stayed on, I put it back into regular auto mode and it seems to drive fine but the check engine light is on now...what happened??? i searched and found that hitting the rev limiter is okay and wont do any damage...but did i mess something up???
Old 02-16-2005, 07:51 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't think you would have damaged anything, that's what the rev limiter is there for... to keep damage from happening. You probably threw a code for a "misfire". If disconnecting the battery won't clear the code/CEL, you'll have to get somebody who has an OBD2 scan tool or take it to the dealer.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Carp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Kn Crpntr

Have had several instances where Check Engine Light has come "ON" and stayed "ON". Each time I took my 2000 TL back to the dealer (Atlantic Acura). They blamed the O2 sensor the first fwo times (repaced once under warrantee).The last time I had it in (about a month ago) it was to replace sensors in the SRS because that light came on/went off came on, was reset ,but came on again. As I started the car to drive home, the Check Engine Light came ON. Dealer reset (no charge this time). Said codes were meaninless. We had a long "dicussion" with rep re: bad advise from the shop (Canadian computer different from USA model, etc ). Showed him a copy of report from "moadriven". Rep said he would look into this further.
There was never any mention of a differrent computer (which I read became available in 2001). Am driving to Fl this coming Feb and am not really looking forward to the trip. My TL has 109K Kms, gives great mileage, drives great. Only problem is this Check Engine Light. Surely Acura has the means to correct this. If any warning light comes on, and the car is driven, it voids the warrantee, should anything drastic happen, even on the way in to the dealer.