SRS light is on...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 12:25 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man...what does it take to get some answer here! Anyone with simular problems before?
Old 06-25-2001, 03:29 PM
Banned

I believe the Helms manual warns that if the battery is not disconnected and you don't wait at least three minutes before disconnecting or removing the seats then the SRS light may come on. The seats have the side airbags and when you disconnected the wiring harness you disconnected the power to the airbag, thus triggering the SRS light. To err on the side of caution, the ECU is programmed to continue to display the SRS light even if the problem corrects itself because the ECU can't know if the correction was temporary or permanent. Therefore it warns the owner to have the system checked. Although I cannot guarantee it, disconnecting the battery for an hour or so may reset the ECU and if everything is hooked back up right it *should* be okay. Of course, do so at your own risk. Might want some input from others that have reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and see if they have had any other adverse effects.

Matt
Old 06-25-2001, 03:37 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

I think the side airbag has nothing to do with SRS light....
Has seperate indicator for side airbag...
Take it to the dealer ASAP!!!
Old 06-25-2001, 03:39 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Oh..yeah.....
Make sure not to mension about seat though..
Old 06-25-2001, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by songoku:
I think the side airbag has nothing to do with SRS light....
Has seperate indicator for side airbag...
Take it to the dealer ASAP!!!
The SRS light covers all four airbags, the related sensors and the front seat seatbelt pretensioners. The separate indicator light for the side airbag is only for the passenger side air bag and is *not* a trouble indicator. It only warns the driver that someone/something is not positioned right in the front passenger seat and in the event of a collision the bag will not go off. If there is a problem with any airbag, sensor, or seatbelt pretensioner the SRS light will come on. Also, the passenger seat has the second generation/smart airbag sensor that will adjust the strength of deployment of the front passenger airbag based on the weight of the object in the front seat. There is a lot of SRS hardware in the seats. But you're right, if the problem persists you should have the dealer check it out.

Matt
Old 06-25-2001, 11:12 PM
Racer

Unhappy SRS light is on...HELP!

OK...my SRS light is on. And I checked my airbags and it seems the passenger side is a bulging a little and right side corner is slightly popped out. I can push it back in but the light is still on.

At first I thought that it's because I removed the passenger seats. But I have it back in now and is still showing the lights. Will taking the passenger seat out cause the light to come on and not shut back off? Does the side airbag in the seat have anything to do with SRS light or is it because the passenger airbag is bulging? I will take it to the dealer soon.

------------------

2001 3.2TL with Nav
Satin Silver Metallic
Factory Rear Wing Spoiler