Squeaks around rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 08:24 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaks around rear wheel

I have noticed squeaks coming from around rear wheel (passenger side) when I shake the car. It surprised me a lot and now I am thinking what it might be??? It sounds like a rubber rubbing against the metal or something similar. Any ideas? Does anybody have similar problems? My car is slightly more than a year and a half old with about 21K miles and I certainly did not expect something like this from Acura, this is typical for domestic car. I think I am going to postpone a dealer visit until my next oil change, which is due in a month roughly, so hopefully it’ll squeak then as it squeaks now.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:09 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think your looking in the right direction. It could be something like shock or suspension/swaybar bushings.

A co-worker had a really well kept 94' Toyota Camry and it did the squeak thing when he would back out of his driveway and compress the rear suspension going over the curb.

This, I think, would be a reason to make a trip to the dealer.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:13 AM
Instructor

That is what happens in my case, when I compress suspension (by opening a trunk and pressing down with both hands) I hear a squeak coming from around rear wheel.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:49 PM
Instructor

I got the same thing... its probably the ruber bushings for the springs. I got after-market springs that do not come with the bushings, therefore they squeak under the same conditions.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:03 AM
Instructor

It is raining this morning and the squeaks are gone (as the rubber became wet I guess), so it looks like the rubber bushings make those squeaks. Aren’t they supposed to be lubed in order to prevent this?
Old 05-01-2003, 07:53 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They may or may not be lubed. Some of the more thoughtful companies would put a grease fitting near the bushing to keep it in tact.

You may want to enquire if any companies put out Urethane bushings for these animals. They won't sqeak and retain their shape under stress a lot better than rubber.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Instructor

On Friday I went to a dealer for a regular oil change and I mentioned this squeaking/clicking problem, but as you can imagine, my car was, all of a sudden, chapel quiet.
Then yesterday, I washed my car and after a few hours squeaking/clicking became really pronounced (I guess as the rubber dried out after a good wash). I was thinking good I am going tomorrow morning straight to the dealer because anyway I am passing by my dealer when I go to office. So this morning I stopped by half a mile before I reached the dealer to buy a coffee and I check my car again. Surprise, surprise, I was not able to hear anything again. I was shaking and compressing and what not but no, my car is chapel quiet again, simply unbelievable. So, I was thinking, oh well, I’ll give it some more time and I just proceeded to my office. The moment I parked the car and opened the door, I heard it again, I compressed it again and here we go, it is loud and pronounced again. This is f… driving me crazy big time! I just pray that it sounds like that tomorrow morning.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Advanced

Re: Squeaks around rear wheel

Originally posted by marko
I have noticed squeaks coming from around rear wheel (passenger side) when I shake the car. It surprised me a lot and now I am thinking what it might be??? It sounds like a rubber rubbing against the metal or something similar. Any ideas? Does anybody have similar problems? My car is slightly more than a year and a half old with about 21K miles and I certainly did not expect something like this from Acura, this is typical for domestic car. I think I am going to postpone a dealer visit until my next oil change, which is due in a month roughly, so hopefully it’ll squeak then as it squeaks now.
Funny you should mention this cause I'm having the same thing with my vehicle (which is basically brand new), rear wheel passenger side squeaking sound and I was gonna post it up here soon.
Don't know what it is, sometimes it's there and then all of the sudden it's gone.
Don't hear it much on highways which are smooth, mostly on local driving (which is most of my driving).
Old 06-02-2003, 12:56 PM
Instructor

I think I am going to a dealership tomorrow no matter what and if I have to, I am going to argue with them until they fix it. I’ll let you know.