Sportster4/tape-adapter/dolby ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 03:54 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sportster4/tape-adapter/dolby ?

Hi, I recently installed a new Sirius Sportster 4 in my 03TL. I unfortunately found out that the Sportster 4 just wouldn't give good reception (thru the FM radio). Just too poor quality sound on any channel. So I thought the easiest solution would be to use a cassette adapter (Radio Shack) and run another wire to the sat. radio unit. Well, that works much better now (though all the wires are not cool). I had some questions if anyone has tried this before.... I am no great handyman but is an FM modulator hard to install ? Is this casette adapter something that will ultimately break my Tape player (since the tape unit seems to be running) ? Also, is there a way to turn off the dolby setting for the tape player (seems to kill the high frequencies) ?
Old 09-02-2006, 04:08 PM
Instructor

I think your better off trying to find an IPOD like adapter for the the factory stereo. Not sure if they have one, but that will probably be the best thing fo sound quality.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:43 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a "good" tape adapter will work.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:40 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Rpappi
a "good" tape adapter will work.
I changed my mind about using the Sportster 4 (with all the reception problems). I've reverted back to my Sportster 3 and its still fine (FM reception). I found that Dolby (off) button too :-) I'll sacrifice looks for better perfance from the old radio. And, I'm using a generic mp3 player... not into the IPOD thing yet.

Thanks !
Old 09-04-2006, 09:59 AM
9th Gear

I have a similar question. I'm about to buy a Sirius Sportster 4, and I want to run the output through my recently acquired 2003 Acura TL. I've read all the stuff about the Blitzsafe adapter (among others), but when I read the specs, the big thing that sticks out is "Only if you don't have the CD Changer installed" or "You have to have an open plug on the radio!" I have the 6 disc changer installed, but is there another port on the radio for the Blitzsafe adapter? I've also read about a splitter that splits the signal from your CD Changer and runs the sound output to an XM port on the radio. I don't have XM installed, but is that port already there?

Sorry for the possibly uninformed questions, but I've only had the car for 5 days! I'm still learning! I've spent most of those 5 days reading through the forums for the MP3 install stuff, but I haven't found exactly the answer I was looking for.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:36 PM
9th Gear

Ok, until I buy the adapter to run it through my system, here's my setup. Hopefully pics are legible.

The Antenna on the back:

The Console:

I ran my antenna and power wires up through the console and back out the slider drawer. I'm not going to use that anyway, so I ran a coat hanger through the hole in the back to pull the wires through. Once I get the adapter, I'll run it through here as well. Velcro is holding the radio on for now, I may adapt the drawer itself and bolt the radio to it later.

I didn't take the back seat off to run the antenna. Rather, I took the cap off the driver's side car seat anchor, and ran the coat hanger down through a hole in the back deck, and pulled the antenna wire through here. I then ran it down the side of the back seat, and under the trim on the floor.

EDIT: Also, I felt along the back of the changer (I believe), and it felt like there were 2 ports on the back. One had something plugged in (I assume the connection from the radio to the changer), and then another square-shaped port next to it. Maybe this is where the adapter plugs in?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:59 PM
Why I watch sci-fi...

If you have the REMOTE mounted changer, you lose it with the Blitzsafe. If you do not, you have an open port in the back of the radio. I am getting my blitzsafe for my iPod tommrow (I was not at home when it came to my house so i have to pick it up, whatever) and will install it then. Many people here have use the Blitzsafe and had great results. I know that they also have an adapter to just give you an aux in. I bought from www.enfig.com, they were the cheapest. But, like I said, there are many threads on this already. Just search. Here is a link to a PDF to get your dash apart, if you need that, too.

http://www.skyeflye.com/acura_cls/In...01-2003_CL.pdf
Old 09-04-2006, 05:01 PM
9th Gear

And by remote mounted, you mean it's mounted under the seat or trunk, right? Mine is directly in the dash, as that's where I load the discs.

Thanks for the PDF link. I was able to remove the wood (plastic) trim and the passenger side panel with very little effort. If this thing works with the changer the way it is, I think I'm good to go.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:07 PM
9th Gear

And to follow-up, according to these instructions, it looks like that's exactly what's next to the plug, an open 14 pin plug! Cool!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:30 PM
Why I watch sci-fi...

yes, i mean in your trunk. You should only have the one pictured in the PDF, so use the open port in back like it shows. I was mistaken, i will not get anything untill the 7th but that day i will put it in. You should have no problems installing this. And since you are already stealling the cup holder as a mount, you can run the wires back there. YOu can also use a side mount that i am also getting. It is not that cheap but looks great. Others here also have it. Go to: www.kudausa.com. I will have all this installed by this weekend. Good luck and PM me if I can help you any more.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Why I watch sci-fi...

Martainman-
funny, i just went and looked and they do have a parchment colored mount. But, you get to pay $10 more for it over the black i have. Do not feel bad though. I like the parchment interior more. I just got a good deal on my Grey/ black one.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:07 AM
9th Gear

Got my BlitzSafe part yesterday and installed it last night. Works like a charm!

I was one of those lucky ones that could fit their hand in behind the radio to plug the device in. All I had to do was take off the passenger side panel. It took about 5-10 minutes of situating my hands correctly behind the radio, but I finally got it plugged in. Now I just need to run my split off of the electric outlet to another outlet behind the radio, and permanently attach the radio to my console.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Why I watch sci-fi...

Originally Posted by Martianman
Got my BlitzSafe part yesterday and installed it last night. Works like a charm!

I was one of those lucky ones that could fit their hand in behind the radio to plug the device in. All I had to do was take off the passenger side panel. It took about 5-10 minutes of situating my hands correctly behind the radio, but I finally got it plugged in. Now I just need to run my split off of the electric outlet to another outlet behind the radio, and permanently attach the radio to my console.

I just got mine yesterday, too and installed it today and my Ipod sounds MUCH better than the tape deck adaper did. It took 20 min and only cost me ~ 5oz of blood from my right index finger (Damn, those braces are sharp!!!) I am assuming you are spliting the power to hardwire your XM unit. It may be easier to use the one in the arm rest. Just eaiser to get to but farther away. I also got enough of my hand behind the unit to plug it in w/o removing the whole thing, but again, the blood. But anayway, glad to be of help.