Spoke with Tech support @ Megan Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoke with Tech support @ Megan Racing

i just spoke with Steve @ megan about the resonance problem..
and he said they are STILL trying to figure out where the noise is come from..
He said the new batch was just to fix the length of the downpipe which
was hitting the oil pan..
Hopefully they will figure out the problem
He said they will replace the headers under warranty once they find the problem.
hope they find it.....
once again i learned......
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
Old 06-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Racer

ur a life saver i was just about to order these on ebay, ill wait till someones actually happy with a set
Old 06-30-2005, 01:30 PM
Comptech Freak

you can't go wrong with comptech

and my frd with a 04 TL can't go faster than me after i hit 2nd gera VTEC, he was scared with the pull of the headers
Old 06-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AcuraTl203
ur a life saver i was just about to order these on ebay, ill wait till someones actually happy with a set

I'm happy with my set.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:33 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
for a $40 order of header wrap and zipties i have no resonance with my megans. couldn't be happier. but maybe i will order a new pipe when it comes out.

SSTS
Old 06-30-2005, 03:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
for a $40 order of header wrap and zipties i have no resonance with my megans. couldn't be happier. but maybe i will order a new pipe when it comes out.

SSTS

ok i kno how to use the wrap but what was the fix for the zipties? and they didnt melt off?
Old 06-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
i got obx ss, no resonance, no cracks love em
Old 06-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by samkws
you can't go wrong with comptech

and my frd with a 04 TL can't go faster than me after i hit 2nd gera VTEC, he was scared with the pull of the headers
I know the Comptech's don't have the resonance problem. But at nearly 5x the cost new, I can't justify buying the CT's.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS

SSTS
whats the header wrap anyway? does it go around flexpipes?
what material are they?
any pix?? SSTS?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:38 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally Posted by timmy8151
I know the Comptech's don't have the resonance problem. But at nearly 5x the cost new, I can't justify buying the CT's.
you can sell them 3-4 times better than megan
Old 07-01-2005, 06:22 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by AcuraTl203
ok i kno how to use the wrap but what was the fix for the zipties? and they didnt melt off?
i should have clarified, *metal* zipties. i would recommend using the clip-on type fastener though. it looks like something you would secure an 'ace' bandage with. the metal zipties work well though, they just don't seem to be reusable.

Originally Posted by SMOPGMASTER
whats the header wrap anyway? does it go around flexpipes? what material are they? any pix?? SSTS?
it's a composite cloth that can withstand up to 1600 degrees F. i wrapped my pipes at all locations where i could see they might be hitting the car (subfram, oil pan, wherever). you bet i have pics. go to my posthere to see the pics of what i did. it cost me $50 total for wrap, ties and shipping and took me maybe 45 minutes to an hour start to finish. worth every penny.

SSTS
Old 07-01-2005, 12:39 PM
All go, no show

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Where'd you buy the wrap?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:23 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

I'm still happy with headers, no way in hell I'm paying for comptech if they charge that BS price, plus I never intend to sell it. With the same gains, good fit, but a little resonance, Megans vs. Comptech I would take megan. Comptech his just too overpriced beyond reason. The argument it's their R&D is ludicris since it still doesn't justify pricing outrageously higher than competition (and the fact that I am an R&D Engineer). The resonance I can live with but I'm always open to isolate and fix the problem if it's reasonable. Only thing is, I would hate to remove it myself, so this time, I'm going to have shop install it if warranty comes in to replace this batch. Those damn bolts are friggin tight.

If you can, take pics of the wrap. I would appreciate seeing how it fits in the engine bay.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by BiggyMcWang
I'm still happy with headers, no way in hell I'm paying for comptech if they charge that BS price, plus I never intend to sell it. With the same gains, good fit, but a little resonance, Megans vs. Comptech I would take megan. Comptech his just too overpriced beyond reason. The argument it's their R&D is ludicris since it still doesn't justify pricing outrageously higher than competition (and the fact that I am an R&D Engineer). The resonance I can live with but I'm always open to isolate and fix the problem if it's reasonable. Only thing is, I would hate to remove it myself, so this time, I'm going to have shop install it if warranty comes in to replace this batch. Those damn bolts are friggin tight.

If you can, take pics of the wrap. I would appreciate seeing how it fits in the engine bay.
you dont have to take the headers off to put the wrap on

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=navigation
Old 07-05-2005, 01:34 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
you dont have to take the headers off to put the wrap on

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=navigation
Haha naw. I meant taking them off for a newer batch LOL. If wrap required removing headers I would definitely not do it . BTW... is that supposed to be navi instructions?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

OOPS!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117295
Old 07-05-2005, 03:23 PM
New ride...Acura MDX 2013

don't waste anymore time with the Megan header obviously they as well as Stone can't figure out whats wrong with their product, spend a little more and go with Alphawerks, as far as I've seen in all the pictures posted of Megan headers they look exactly like the Stone except for the extra flex pipe on the downpipe (on the Megan), the Alphawerks are superior in all ways compared to both of the other headers and also are the closest looking to the Comptech as far as the construction goes (welds and materials used), congratulations to those of you who have triumphed over the resonance, good for you for taking the time to figure it out. But to those of you thinking of saving a few bucks personally I wouldn't bother, theres a group but still going on if I'm not mistaken and you can get the Alphawerks for a great deal
Peace, Jeff
Old 07-05-2005, 11:32 PM
boo

Dont be too quick to praise your Alphawerks. They had their share of problems as well. As for me, I never had any probs with Megan..but then again Im used to loud cars so resonance wasnt an issue with me.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

i got these Megans, in a box, in my trunk.
i'm going to put them on.
i hope to enjoy them.
i could handle a little resonance...but if there is metal banging.
and exhaust leaks....they're off in a heartbeat.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:47 AM
New ride...Acura MDX 2013

Originally Posted by benzo555
Dont be too quick to praise your Alphawerks. They had their share of problems as well. As for me, I never had any probs with Megan..but then again Im used to loud cars so resonance wasnt an issue
with me.
I'm not quick to praise A/W but as you can see the the word had in bold lettering I haven't seen any threads lately on problems with the A/W but I still see all kinds of threads about the Megan. If you have the noise that I had then I'll tell you right now that you wouldn't have accepted the header the way it was no matter how much noise you like, but to each his own I'm just saying that if you haven't spent money on Megan...DON'T (same goes for Stone)
Jeff
Old 07-06-2005, 10:15 AM
El Presidente

yet another header thread
Old 07-06-2005, 03:37 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Originally Posted by joseph_99tl
i got these Megans, in a box, in my trunk.
i'm going to put them on.
i hope to enjoy them.
i could handle a little resonance...but if there is metal banging.
and exhaust leaks....they're off in a heartbeat.
No leaks at all for me... resonance is fine but I have no metalic banging. Without resonance is best but hell I'm not tearing them off because of that.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:20 AM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

So what's the part number of wrap to get from summitracing.com? I love that place so I'm happy to order from them again. Also what's the part number for the metal zipties. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:33 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

So what's the part number of wrap to get from summitracing.com? I love that place so I'm happy to order from them again. Also what's the part number for the metal zipties. Thanks.

well for some reason none of my summit bills actually have part numbers, only my order number. just do a search for DEI exhaust wrap or "header wrap" and it should all come up. i bought DEI wrap and DEI zip ties because they were in stock. the summit wrap was out of stock at the time. when i have some time after work i will go look on the site.

SSTS
Old 07-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dark inspire
yet another header thread
yup. there arent to many of them around are there!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:08 AM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Well... .I wrapped only the second flex-pipe (One from front headers) to protect it. But I think I've found where resonance is coming from. It's not the header itself but the metal frame surrounding the rubber hanginger. The metal hook on the downpipe appears not to have been designed for the stock TL hanger, it's a very tight fit... pulling hard down on the rubber ... it ripped it completely... That's why there was vibrating against the metal frame that held the hanger together. I took some of the DEI wrap and folded it thick as I could to tightly pack and support under the metal hanger. So far, the resonance is gone. No more rattling of any kind. No more gurgling either.

I'll ride it out for another week before I fly to Europe, but I believe that from this find, the headers themselves are not to blame. The hanger is a problem, appearing more oriented for an accord than a TL, meaning you should custom bend the metal hook to fit our OEM hanger which sounds easy enough. I would expect I need to replace that hanger soon. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

much thx.
i will tell my installer to match the hanger.
or at least pay attention to it.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Instructor

I Didnt Have Problem With The Hanger...
Perfect Fit...
Other Problem I Noticed With Megan Headers Is That
Headers Are Too Low Than Stock One
May Be They Designed That Way Because Previous Batch Was Hitting The Oil Pan
I Scratch My Downpipe Once In A While Because Its Sitting Low....
Old 07-14-2005, 03:22 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

So far i'm okay. I agree it sits lower than I'd like. No scratches..and I'm on H&R Sport drop. I have to pay attention to bumps on roads... like big ones.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:51 PM
All go, no show

I have some resonance issues myself.. a buzzing noise..

McWang, u think you could take some pics and post them to show us exactly where the problem spot is and how you fixed it? That would be REALLY great.. thanks.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:55 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Sure thing. I'll try to get those pictures up when I get the chance.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:37 PM
Racer

Well... .I wrapped only the second flex-pipe (One from front headers) to protect it. But I think I've found where resonance is coming from. It's not the header itself but the metal frame surrounding the rubber hanginger. The metal hook on the downpipe appears not to have been designed for the stock TL hanger, it's a very tight fit... pulling hard down on the rubber ... it ripped it completely... That's why there was vibrating against the metal frame that held the hanger together. I took some of the DEI wrap and folded it thick as I could to tightly pack and support under the metal hanger. So far, the resonance is gone. No more rattling of any kind. No more gurgling either.

I'll ride it out for another week before I fly to Europe, but I believe that from this find, the headers themselves are not to blame. The hanger is a problem, appearing more oriented for an accord than a TL, meaning you should custom bend the metal hook to fit our OEM hanger which sounds easy enough. I would expect I need to replace that hanger soon. I'll keep you guys posted.
Yep, that is exactly what mine is too. The hanger ripped the rubber right in half. This is BS.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:26 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Here are the pics. I'm glad the design of the headers themselves was not resonance problem... I've totally eliminated that. But if the hanger coulda been left with more room so that it wouldn't have ripped my OEM hanger. But here it be.

In the last pic... u can see it ripped through the hard rubber hanger. I wrapped about 4 layers while using a jack to lift up the pipe so I could pack it tight. This solved the noise issue... and in the first pic... that's me wraping the first flex pipe so that I could protect it from scratches... were I to bottom out that would be useless. It hangs lower than I'd like... but not that low.