Spoiler Installed, Extra 2 Rubber pieces?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 12:22 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spoiler Installed, Extra 2 Rubber pieces?

I just installed an OEM Spoiler on my car, the spoiler kit came with the spoiler, the trunk springs and all the nuts....it also came with 2 black rubber pieces. I think they are to absorb the shock when you close the trunk....but the thing is, can anyone tell me exactly where to put them.

thanks
Old 07-02-2002, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do these rubber pieces look like?
Old 07-02-2002, 09:59 AM
Instructor

u put them on the inside roof of the trunk...hope that made sense
i dun think it really matters b/c i had mine on but one of them came off...
and besides, the trunk is light so there should be a problem without those rubber pieces for support
just close ur trunk lightly...
Old 07-02-2002, 10:45 AM
Mr. Self Destruct

I thought the rubber pieces go between the trunk lid and the spoiler. So you don't scratch the hell out of the lid.
Old 07-02-2002, 01:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
Originally posted by baggsTLS
I thought the rubber pieces go between the trunk lid and the spoiler. So you don't scratch the hell out of the lid.
That's where they go.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:37 PM
Pro

The rubber piece is about 1 cm sq by 5 cm long
Old 07-03-2002, 12:02 AM
Dr. TLS

How easy was the spoiler to install and wire for someone who doesn't know much about this stuff at all?
Old 07-03-2002, 05:18 AM
Pro

EASY! Don't need to know much to install spoiler. The instructions might be long, but they are detailed. Don't worry about messing up, there is alot of room for error if you drill in the wrong place. If you did drill in the wrong place, the spoiler will hide that mistake. The nut will also help you from ur errors, as long as you don't drill a hole bigger than the nut.

Well, i bought the spoiler online from a Acura Dealer, Rick Case I think... It's very simple. People don't want to drill their cars and rather py 150-250 to get it installed at the dealers which i think is outragous! The spoiler came w/o instruction becuase they forgot to put it in, but instructions not needed, i just don't know the "correct" spot for the rubber pieces.

Items needed:
1 Hour Labor
Spoiler Kit
Drill
Nail remover tool(back side of hammer) or brute force.
Another person to help you (my 18 y/o sister)

Procedures:
1) Place the drill template (comes with spoiler kit), under the spoiler and in the bolt on the left side. Ask someone to help you hold it and look if it's aligned
2) Place the spoiler on the trunk lid and try to align and straighen the spoiler. the spoiler should be about 1 cm away from the edge, right before the trunk starts to curve and bend down.
3) After you have it in the right place, told the template steady and tape it to the car. (make sure that the side of the template follows the side edge of the trunk).
4) Drill the two main holes (don't remember the size, but measure the bit with the bolt), and drill a 1/2 inch hole where the tiny dot is (this hole is for the wiring).
5) To align the holes for the other side, take a mesuring tape and mesure from the top of the trunk (where the rear window is) to where the template is, take that length, and run it down on the right side (i didn't have a mesuring tape, so i used a long piece of cardboard from the spoiler box, and i marked where the template was and duplicated it on the right side) . Tape the template on the trunk upside down on the right side.
6) Optional , if you want to be extra careful about aligment. Take two piece of string or rope long enough to strech from end to end of the trunk. Tape the string to the center of the left hole and and run it to the center of the hole on the template on the right side. Do this again for the other hole. now take a ruler or measuring tape and measure the width at various points to make sure that the lines are parallel. And just look at it, you can tell if it's stright. After you think it's straight goto step 7
7) Drill the two holes on the right side. Clean the metal particals off, don't sweep it off, blow it off.
8) Pop up the trunk
9)Either us the nail remover tool (the other side of hammer) to remove those circle clips holding the carpet piece to the trunk lid (only the left side needs to be removed), or you can just use brute force and pull all hard as you can to pop out the clips.
10) Now run the spoiler wire through the 3rd hold and through the little small hole behind the carpet piece (You can unscrew the black round rubber stopper to help you get the wiring through, just screw it counter-clock wise).
11) Put the spoiler on and put the nuts on
12) Now take the other cable and connect it to the wires from the spoiler.
13) Stick your head in the trunk and look at the 3rd brake light, there are 2 bulbs in there, and two wire connecters, one for each bulb, disconnect one of them. That connector fits into the other end of the cable from the spoiler.
14) Run the spoiler cable along with the other trunk cables with the cable ties.
15) Done, saved urself 150-250

minh714@postmark.net
Old 07-03-2002, 06:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb One for each side

I wish that I have a digital camera to show you...the rubber thing is for inside of the trunk lid. After opening the trunk, at the corner (at the taillight and rear bumper), just attach the rubber piece inside parallel to the lid (see ** below.)

____       &nbs p;                 &n bsp;       &nbs p;  ______
____ \        & nbsp;       &nb sp;       &nbsp ;      / ______
       \ \**_____________**/ /
_____\___________________/______
^
Taillight

Not a good diagram, but HTH.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:10 AM
Super Troll

the two rubber piece goes under the left and right side of the wing. It for when you close the trunk the wing will not bang on theside fender. i have that on car and thats where is goes...
Old 07-03-2002, 11:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by ALFAV6
the two rubber piece goes under the left and right side of the wing. It for when you close the trunk the wing will not bang on theside fender. i have that on car and thats where is goes...
I think AcuraTLFan is referrinf to the rubber strips (1cm sq. x 5cm).
Old 07-03-2002, 01:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by oracion

I think AcuraTLFan is referrinf to the rubber strips (1cm sq. x 5cm).
The pieces he is referring to are rubber pads that go under each leg on the spoiler. You need those things. It helps to make a watertight seal where the spoiler meets the trunk lid.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:23 AM
Pro

I think "Oracion" is right, it goes under the trunk opening. I know what ur talking about "NSXNEXT" and "ALFAV6", what you guys are refering to is the "Foam pads" that goes under the wing...thanks for everyones help. Appreciate it!
Old 07-04-2002, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Cool

Aha, ha, ha, ha! ROTFLOL! I don't know where they go either, but just reading this thread is making me laugh!

Sounds like a Laurel & Hardy bit if you read it just right!

Good luck figuring out where this thingy goes!

Later,

V.

P.S. I had mine installed when I bought my car.