some old people are cool

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 12:34 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
tea elle:

What is Pete Townsend singing now?
"I hope I get a liver transplant before I get too old".
"I hope my prostate functions as I get old".

Or David Crosby:
"Teach your surgeon well..."

or Gary Busey:

"I hope I get dental insurance before I grow mold".
Old 01-22-2002, 06:46 PM
tea elle

Originally posted by Road Rage
tea elle:

What is Pete Townsend singing now?
"I hope I get a liver transplant before I get too old".
"I hope my prostate functions as I get old".

Or David Crosby:
"Teach your surgeon well..."

or Gary Busey:

"I hope I get dental insurance before I grow mold".
....this quote was not your best work, Road Rage, but I must reply cuz you're poking fun at a couple of the all time greats: Please humor me here.....

I'd like to see where any of today's top selling "acts" will be in 10-20 years. Most likely, nowhere near the success that my generation's top artists have seen during the last 4 decades.

Few current songwriters (how many even make it into the top of the charts, its mostly recycled electronic sampling) can touch what Crosby and Townsend have contributed to music. AND, I'd like to see how music like Blink 182, Limp Bizkit, Destiny's Child, Dave Matthews or any of the newer bands stands up 20-30 years from now. Most of the rap, hip hop, soul and pop music today is nothing more that electronic "acts" that do little more than copy other artists through sampling and theivery.

And you gotta hand it to those two guys because they have survived a lot of abuse. What will Dave Matthews, Justin Timberlake, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre look like at 60? Yikes!
Old 01-22-2002, 07:10 PM
what?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by tea elle

I'd like to see where any of today's top selling "acts" will be in 10-20 years. Most likely, nowhere near the success that my generation's top artists have seen during the last 4 decades.

Few current songwriters (how many even make it into the top of the charts, its mostly recycled electronic sampling) can touch what Crosby and Townsend have contributed to music. AND, I'd like to see how music like Blink 182, Limp Bizkit, Destiny's Child, Dave Matthews or any of the newer bands stands up 20-30 years from now. Most of the rap, hip hop, soul and pop music today is nothing more that electronic "acts" that do little more than copy other artists through sampling and theivery.

And you gotta hand it to those two guys because they have survived a lot of abuse. What will Dave Matthews, Justin Timberlake, Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre look like at 60? Yikes!
yay thread hijack !

ooh I would love to have this conversation - I'm old *cough* but I listen to current music.

forget any boy bands, girl bands, blink, limp - they do not have the staying power

I am not a huge DMB fan, but I have seen them in concert and have a couple of the CDs - they are real live musicians.

I'm thinking that some of the current bands have contributed a great deal and will be around - Tool comes to mind first off. STP added a great deal - Pearl Jam too....

As for putting out good songs for a while that will endure- red hot chile peppers? Incubus? REM?

Back in the days of the Who and CSNY (<-- saw them twice live) there were I think fewer genres of music in this area - pop, rock, folk - I was the first person in my freshman dorm to have a B-52s album - that was so brand new back in the late 70s. and it was a very important addition to the rock music of the time. I still listen to Pretenders and Eric Costello ... this is not bad music and they are still playing.

Anyhow, these guys deserve props and won't be forgotten in a few yrs.

my .02