some old people are cool

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 09:13 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up some old people are cool

First off, I don't mean to offen any "old people", at 31 I think I'm pushing old myself on this board, but I needed a short subject.

So I'm driving to work this morning, minding my own business when I see a silver type S with no wing and no kit, just like mine, blow by me as I'm getting on the entrance ramp to the cross-island pkway. I figure let me catch up to see if it's maybe someone from this board or something, I'm changing lanes, cutting through traffic, trying to catch up to this guy but he's doing the same, speeding and cutting through traffic. Finally at the tolls for the bridge I catch up to him and look to see that its a really really old dude, looked like 70 or something. I wanted to give him the thumbs up, but he seemed oblivious to his surroundings. After the toll the guy took off like a demon again and then got off a different exit.

Maybe that's how we'll be when we're 70.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:59 AM
Pro

Smile

"The best part of the art of living is to know how to grow old gracefully."

Eric Hoffer (1902–83)

Old 01-18-2002, 10:18 AM
Racer

"The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been."

Madeleine L'Engle, 1985
Old 01-18-2002, 11:17 AM
Instructor

I wonder because he is old,that he didnt even realize how fast he was going.
Maybe there was a bingo game somewhere,that he needed to get too.
Regardless good for him for getting a nice car
Old 01-18-2002, 12:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by 2002TL
I wonder because he is old,that he didnt even realize how fast he was going.
Maybe there was a bingo game somewhere,that he needed to get too.
Maybe he was trying to get home to watch Matlock.

-Steve
Old 01-18-2002, 12:19 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
If all people his age (and I'm only about 20+ years away from that) drove like him, I believe most members of the board would be thrilled!

Just think, never stuck behind grandma on the highway, or being behind them as they take a half an hour to turn into the grocery store...

THAT would be wonderful!

:-jon
Old 01-18-2002, 01:14 PM
Racer

"To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent that is to triumph over old age."
- Thomas B. Aldrich
Old 01-18-2002, 01:16 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Your only old when you start having dry dreams and wet farts.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

"at 31 I think I'm pushing old myself on this board"

You can say that again Nick, I'm on the same exact boat

Anyway, what time in the a.m. are you on the Cross Island? I get on at Northern BLVD but head south so I guess I won't see ya figuring it sounds like your going north bound. (from Bayside to the T.N. bridge I guess? Douglaston here) Hmm, I guess I'll see ya around.

Back on topic with this old guy. You stated that he was oblivious to his surroundings, hmmm...I hope he's not too far from his surroundings considering he's doing 70+MPH on public roads I get cut off by quite a few people who have no idea they cut me off, ahh well I suppose a senior with the capabilities to drive at the same speed as traffic is something not to take for granted. Good for the him, don't we all wish we can still be quick enough to drive like that at that age

Chris.
Old 01-18-2002, 03:34 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Brewboy
Your only old when you start having dry dreams and wet farts.
LOL - Thats hilarious.......
Old 01-18-2002, 03:38 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
with deference to Darla..

"The trouble with youth is it's wasted on the young".

from Oscar Wilde
Old 01-18-2002, 03:49 PM
Racer

"To know how to grow old is the master work of wisdom, and one of the most difficult chapters in the great art of living."

- Henri Frederic Amiel
Old 01-18-2002, 03:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

A friend of mine owns a performance shop in the Boynton Beach area. Several years ago he told me about this customer he was building a turbo Civic/Integra GS-R hybrid for and wanted me to meet him.

One day I did and, to my surprise, he was 75 years old. His car was dyno'd at 426 wheel horsepower.

Check out who is possibly the coolest senior on the planet:

http://ron.b16a.com/pics/pops-posing.jpg
Old 01-18-2002, 04:18 PM
Pro

Zounds !!!
(Used to express anger, surprise, or indignation.)
The definition is the shortening and alteration of "God's wounds!".

It is not easy to carve a small niche amidst so many talented people. My humble talent for quotation is being assailed!

But I have to say that the aforementioned talent is still pleasing in its' robustness!!! Keep the good thought, all!
Old 01-18-2002, 07:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
At 48 I know I'm up there a bit but I've always been a car nut, I love these TL's and I hate it when I see a car that looks just like mine. So now mine looks understated and classy but unique. This site has opened my eyes to all the possibilities available to us, for which I am thankfull. I owe very little on the car and plan to keep it for 250,000 miles, or about three more years. I'll post it's progress as I go.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:33 PM
Pro

Smile

Some things just fit.

"City people try to buy time as a rule, when they can, whereas country people are prepared to kill time, although both try to cherish in their mind’s eye the notion of a better life ahead.,"
Old 01-18-2002, 11:24 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by chuckstl
At 48 I know I'm up there a bit but I've always been a car nut, I love these TL's .......
Got ya by a year, but I know what ya mean. I've been into cars for a long time, & the TL is a great cross between lux & decent performance
Old 01-18-2002, 11:30 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by chuckstl
At 48 I know I'm up there a bit but I've always been a car nut, I love these TL's and I hate it when I see a car that looks just like mine. So now mine looks understated and classy but unique. This site has opened my eyes to all the possibilities available to us, for which I am thankfull. I owe very little on the car and plan to keep it for 250,000 miles, or about three more years. I'll post it's progress as I go.
Great! oh yeh, do ya have any pics of that Monterey Blue. I ALMOST bought that color. Never saw it in the bright sunshine. Oh, & 94k miles on a '00? My god , u drive ALOT. I just turned over 25k miles:p
Old 01-19-2002, 03:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2002TL
... Maybe there was a bingo game somewhere, that he needed to get too.
Hee, hee. I think he was rushing home to his 25 year-old wife!

V.
Old 01-19-2002, 07:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't have pics cuz I can't seen to figure out how to get them moved from my file to the page. I'm a salesrep and cover three states. Using Mobil 1 which I change at every 5K.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:36 AM
Instructor

My golf partner is 64. He has owned a bright orange '67 Porsche Targa since it was a year old. It's an almost daily driver, and is in concours condition. He recently bought an '88 BMW 325is because he liked mine so much. We actually raced them recently (I won). Everytime I see it, it has a new gadget attached to it, or a new decal, and always looks like he just detailed it (which he did). So, I guess age is not much of a deterrent to car lust.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:34 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I am also pushing the age thing on this board @ 39, however I rarely see young guys driving the TL or TL-S, they always seem to be guys or females in their late 50s to early 60s, who are always in their own little world. However when I drive my Accord, you always seem to have younger male drivers in their Accords acknowledging with a glance, you're Accord.
Old 01-19-2002, 10:55 AM
Instructor

The "handle" says it all. I typed this on my hand held while talking on my cell going 75 mph in my S.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:06 AM

Some old people are cool, some of them are still young at hard. If an old guy drives a TL-S, mad props to them!!
Old 01-19-2002, 01:33 PM
Jens

I had to chuckle at this post ,you see I am 38 so I guess I qualify for "old man status".But the reason I had to chuckle goes like this.Here in Danbury where I live there are a surprisingly large amount of modded out imports.Now my daily driver is a Civic (2000) Hatchback which is always a crowd favorite with the kids for modifying.My Civic is lowered into the weeds has some nice wheels tint you know all the usual tricks along with H@R coilovers yadda yadda it basically looks like a kids car.So the other day I roll into the gas station on Main street and there are the usual collection of Integras Accords etc.My car fits right in.A couple of the owners look over my car and are stunned when a gray haired "Old Guy" get's out .Well after a half hour conversation about my car their cars etc. They told me it was "cool" that an old guy was into imports.I smiled thanked them and told them that this was my daily driver and they should look around this summer for my Miata with the supercharger or my GSXR motorcycle.The looks on their faces said it all!! They were stunned by the idea that an old fart has something other than another souped up V8 dinosaur.But hey why should only the kids have all the fun remember you are only as old as you convince yourself you are.Jens
Old 01-19-2002, 01:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jens
But hey why should only the kids have all the fun remember you are only as old as you convince yourself you are.Jens
Yep yep. There's a guy who lives in the next town over from me that owns (as a daily driver) a 2000 Ferrari Modena 360. He was born in 1931. You do the math. Retired professors have all the luck.....
Old 01-19-2002, 05:21 PM
Pro

Originally posted by OldGuy
The "handle" says it all. I typed this on my hand held while talking on my cell going 75 mph in my S.
LOL, I thought that was you.
Old 01-19-2002, 08:17 PM
what?

I'm never growing old!!!!!!!!

edit - ps to Jon ... hey they have razed our meet spot on route 9 we'll need to find a new one.....
Old 01-19-2002, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RAdams

http://ron.b16a.com/pics/pops-posing.jpg
Look at those pitters!
Old 01-20-2002, 07:20 AM
Intermediate

Smile Old Age?

Hey Guys,

Old age is a state of mind. I've met prople in their 30's that act like they're 80, and vice versa.

I'm 68, bought my Silver TL-S on it's introduction date March 15th because it had what I like in a car. Speed, handling, and comfort.

I've been riding motorcycles for over 45 years now, and still do. My current bike is a modified 2000 Harley Fat Boy. I ride the bike less than I used to, but still ride about 5,000 miles a year in the Chicago area with the shorter riding season.

I've met some of the local TL-S guys and was surprised at how young they were. But I don't hold it against them, HA,HA.

Like I said, age is a state of mind. You've got a lot of good years ahead of you to enjoy life, do it! We share the love of a good car and the open road, that's enough for me.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:23 PM
Pro

Re: Old Age?

Originally posted by Biker
Hey Guys,

Old age is a state of mind. I've met prople in their 30's that act like they're 80, and vice versa.

I'm 68, bought my Silver TL-S on it's introduction date March 15th because it had what I like in a car. Speed, handling, and comfort.

I've been riding motorcycles for over 45 years now, and still do. My current bike is a modified 2000 Harley Fat Boy. I ride the bike less than I used to, but still ride about 5,000 miles a year in the Chicago area with the shorter riding season.

I've met some of the local TL-S guys and was surprised at how young they were. But I don't hold it against them, HA,HA.

Like I said, age is a state of mind. You've got a lot of good years ahead of you to enjoy life, do it! We share the love of a good car and the open road, that's enough for me.
An inspiration to us all (or at least should be)! Don't fall off the bike!!!; May God keep you in the hollow of His hand!
Old 01-21-2002, 09:30 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Remember Ronald Reagan's worlds to Fritz Mondale: "I for one will not make an issue of my opponent's youth and inexperience".
Old 01-21-2002, 09:36 AM
Racer

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day."

- [2 Corinthians 4:16]
Old 01-21-2002, 02:07 PM
tea elle

"I hope I die before I get old"

Pete Townsend of "The Who"
Old 01-21-2002, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by BLEXV6
I am also pushing the age thing on this board @ 39, however I rarely see young guys driving the TL or TL-S, they always seem to be guys or females in their late 50s to early 60s, who are always in their own little world. However when I drive my Accord, you always seem to have younger male drivers in their Accords acknowledging with a glance, you're Accord.
Only a month to go before I hit 39 here. I too rarely see young 'uns driving a TL in this area. Seems to be mostly older than me and the TLs are usually all dirty and neglected.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:48 PM
tea elle

I'm 37 years old, and I see guys that look my age driving TLS and older folks driving TLP. This is not a car I would have wanted in my twenties...I was driving Z cars, trucks and a british roadster back in my carefree twenties.

When I was young, I wanted to be unencumbered...I NEVER wanted to be the one driving everyone around, and owning a sedan meant you were driving people around (like taking your girlfriend's friends places, or driving all your buddies to a concert...no thanks!)
Old 01-21-2002, 05:11 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally posted by janda_janda
I'm never growing old!!!!!!!!

edit - ps to Jon ... hey they have razed our meet spot on route 9 we'll need to find a new one.....

OH NO! The "Ford" guys will never find us now!!

Hey, how are the sways and struts working out? Are you glad you got them?

What are they building? Hope your New Year is a great one...

Old 01-21-2002, 05:15 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally posted by Jens
I had to chuckle at this post ........ They were stunned by the idea that an old fart has something other than another souped up V8 dinosaur.But hey why should only the kids have all the fun remember you are only as old as you convince yourself you are.Jens
I thought it was great when I was at the Park Avenue Acura meet, and some "young guys" were checking out my car, and told me "It would be great to have a cool dad like you for a father!"

In a way, I felt good about that!

Old 01-21-2002, 05:31 PM
what?

Originally posted by oblio98

OH NO! The "Ford" guys will never find us now!!

Hey, how are the sways and struts working out? Are you glad you got them?

What are they building? Hope your New Year is a great one...

haha! right on - maybe would could go outside a Ford dealership (or Framingham high ) so they can find us.

actually - the parts arrived around Thanksgiving and it took almost a month for me to find someone who was willing to install them...

so I decided to wait until after my next oil change (in a couple of weeks) to do the install - I heard from a reliable source that I should probably have my transmission fluid changed before the recommended time .....

the parts will get installed sometime in Feb I guess - no real rush since the weather has been so delightful.

go pats
Old 01-22-2002, 11:41 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
25 and counting!

Shoot, I thought I was getting old at 25! I guess I'll feel young again once I get either the TLS or GS4.

Quick Reply: some old people are cool