So who installed Comptech exhast on their S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 01:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So who installed Comptech exhast on their S?

Just curious what it sounds like on the Type-S... AND if you guys think the sound fit the look of the TL, let me know.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did. It's really a bit louder than I expected. Still very smooth none the less. What's interesting is the fact it's really deep, and bassy (sp?) at low rpm's, and get's almost silent in the upper rev's. It sounds best whilst using SS shift mode (of which I find myself using all the time! ) A bit of a drone in 5th gear at highway speed, but not untolerable. I'm still of the opinion it's a great addition to an allready fantastic machine. The look, fit and finish are 1st rate. As far as seat of the pants performance is concerned, I'm still up in the air about this one. High revving horsepower is great, but low rpm tourqe accelleration from a standing start seems a bit sluggish compared to oem stock. Maybe it's just in my head!?

Overall I'm very pleased. I did the install myself in about 1/2 hour. Didn't even jack the car up!

Jim
Old 08-24-2001, 06:24 AM
Banned

hey did you ever think about getting the silencer? Tim has them on his site and i was wondering how they work.. cuz i want the comptech exhaust, but it would be nice to be able to kinda turn it off and on... i dunno if the silencer does that or not....
Old 08-24-2001, 06:30 AM
Burning Brakes

The only way I can see to do a silencer in my car would be to cut the b-pipe, and weld one in. That's not an option for me. Don't get discouraged, it's not really that loud. A whole lot different from stock, but cool as hell none the less. I'd venture to say it's the quietest exhaust out there for our cars (next to stock of course.) If your on the fence about this, do it. You won't be dissapointed. The looks alone are killer. 1st rate product.

Jim
Old 08-24-2001, 06:32 AM
Banned

but the thing is... i have the AEM Cold air intake now... and its sounds great, but im worried that with that and the exhust it may be too loud then. Oh ill hunt someone down around my area and hear their car... :p
Old 08-24-2001, 06:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Best idea. Hearing it in person is a good way to make your decission. It is, after all a subjective, personal taste mod.

Good luck - Jim
Old 08-28-2001, 11:33 PM
Pro

Unhappy

To me, the exhaust is too much money for all show and no go.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Man.......

I might really get this mod now! But the headers first! Does the CL-S have different exhaust then we do? One of my friends have the CL-S and we've raced and his exhaust sounds so much more muscular. It's stock too.
Old 08-29-2001, 12:26 PM
Instructor

The sound is definately not for everyone. If you're worried about the noise, try to find a member in your area that has the SS exhaust and take a ride on the highway. The drone is just under the headache-inducing level. I like it, though.

I'll be in Chicago the week of September 10th. Send me an e-mail if you would like to check it out. rick414@att.net.
Old 08-29-2001, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Let me tell you, I was very skeptical about getting the exhaust b/c I didn't want my luxo cruiser to sound like a ricey Civic. Well, I'm happy to report that I am sooo happy that I got it. What a difference it makes. It actually makes the car sound like it has 260hp now. A nice, throaty, deep rumble. These guys are right about the sound being louder internally at lower RPM, but it definately doesn't bother me. I drive 70 miles roundtrip to and from work, about 60 of those are highway, and the sound does not bother me at all....in fact, most of the time I don't even realize it's different from stock!!
Old 08-29-2001, 01:56 PM
Racer

Originally posted by mackdaddy
I did. It's really a bit louder than I expected. Still very smooth none the less. What's interesting is the fact it's really deep, and bassy (sp?) at low rpm's, and get's almost silent in the upper rev's. It sounds best whilst using SS shift mode (of which I find myself using all the time! ) A bit of a drone in 5th gear at highway speed, but not untolerable. I'm still of the opinion it's a great addition to an allready fantastic machine. The look, fit and finish are 1st rate. As far as seat of the pants performance is concerned, I'm still up in the air about this one. High revving horsepower is great, but low rpm tourqe accelleration from a standing start seems a bit sluggish compared to oem stock. Maybe it's just in my head!?

Overall I'm very pleased. I did the install myself in about 1/2 hour. Didn't even jack the car up!

Jim
Do you have pics??? I wanna see =)
Old 08-29-2001, 01:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by ucla107

Do you have pics??? I wanna see =)

I actually have some in my sig.... there not the greatest b/c the lighting sucked, but you can get an idea. I'll have new ones within a week......
Old 08-30-2001, 08:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Actually, I've yet to take digi-pics. I've also re-installed the OEM stock exhaust.... for a reason. When I installed the Comptech, they look great other than one slight problem. The left (drivers side) muffler/tip protrudes outward about 1/2-3/4" further than the right side. This bugged the sh!t out of me. Just to be sure it was my car, and not the Comptech units, I put the stockies back on. Sure enough, the stock mufflers are doing it too. Not as noticable, but I can tell. I'm scheduled to take my car to the dealer for a few other reasons tomorrow, so I'm hoping that they can adjust the exhaust as well. I figured they'd say "not our problem" with the Comptech's on. Hopefully I'll get this resolved, and can re-install the fantastic looking Comptech units for the weekend. If so, I'll post up some nice pics.

Jim
Old 08-30-2001, 11:14 AM
Bada Bing

I've got the Comptech exhaust too and I love it! As Juniorbean said the car now sounds like it's got 260HP under the hood. The one thing I like most is at high RPMs the sound dies out and you don't have that loud annoying drone when cruising (although there is a drone there it's much more subdued).

I've got pics in my sig if anyone is interested in checking it out.