slammed into 6 inches of rain at 80MPH

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slammed into 6 inches of rain at 80MPH

i was goin hella fast bout 100 when i saw the MASSIVE puddle on the belt parkway. i slammed the brakes and got down to 80 when i slammed into it all. after i get outta the puddle i here this metal grinding sound. i get off at the next exit and everything seems fine however its dark outside so not sure. i pump the brakes 5-6 times and hit the road and everything is ok ??!?! anybody want to venture a guess?!?! my brakes are very bad right now. so im guessing the metal behind whats left of the pad hit the rotor and since it was so hot, fused to it seems to be the only answer i could think of. any thoughts?!?!
Old 08-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Advanced

Is it a pothole or not? I guess it's fine If only water.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:06 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

your rotors may be toast... if you braked hard before going tru the puddle they prolly were hot and the cold water made them warp maybe..

@cUr@-TL
Old 08-11-2004, 11:17 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

well they were already warped. n the pads are almost done. but what was the grinding?!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
besides the rotors (which can be replaced), did you hydroplane at all?.....with my old stock tires i'd be pretty much fucked going through any puddle at 35 or 40....my new sumitomos, i'm good to about 50, 55. how'd you get out of a puddle going 80- holy crap. any stabilty problems?...skid?....carefull, next time. -shawn
Old 08-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Kollage is funn!

Originally Posted by tpatel
but what was the grinding?!
tpatel- i'm guessing it could've been shit from the puddle went in between the pads and rotor and made the noise.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
u went on 100 on the belt? funny, the belt was backed up for miles both ways due to the rain.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:51 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Originally Posted by shawn744
tpatel- i'm guessing it could've been shit from the puddle went in between the pads and rotor and made the noise.

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
your rotors may be toast... if you braked hard before going tru the puddle they prolly were hot and the cold water made them warp maybe..

I think these are the most probable answers, sand from the puddle got in between the rotor and the pad or the really hot rotors, were instantly cooled by the water and they warped then.... either way new pads is the minimal ammount of repair.. sorry to hear that.

did you hydroplane much?
Old 08-11-2004, 11:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by teknoking
u went on 100 on the belt? funny, the belt was backed up for miles both ways due to the rain.
hahaha
Old 08-12-2004, 01:24 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

well the rain stopped at like 10. and it was pretty open at 11. is it not plausible? i do it all the time.

i was in it for about 2-3 solid secs be4 i got the chance to pull the left more and get the tire out of it. it was only the right front tire that was making the sound. it was only the right side that went through it
Old 08-12-2004, 02:13 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
well the rain stopped at like 10. and it was pretty open at 11. is it not plausible? i do it all the time.

i was in it for about 2-3 solid secs be4 i got the chance to pull the left more and get the tire out of it. it was only the right front tire that was making the sound. it was only the right side that went through it

Extremely hard to believe that you hit a puddle of water 6 inches deep at 80 mph with only one side of the car and didn't lose control. You are either a really lucky guy or you should go try out for Formula-1.

I've hydroplaned before. It doesn't take much to happen. Six inches of water at 80 mph with only one side virtually guarantees a spin-out. Unless you made a mistake and were actually going slower than that.

I don't know, just speaking from my own experience.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:16 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Extremely hard to believe that you hit a puddle of water 6 inches deep at 80 mph with only one side of the car and didn't lose control. You are either a really lucky guy or you should go try out for Formula-1.

I've hydroplaned before. It doesn't take much to happen. Six inches of water at 80 mph with only one side virtually guarantees a spin-out. Unless you made a mistake and were actually going slower than that.

I don't know, just speaking from my own experience.
Or..the 6 inches could of been 2 inches. Dunno...just throwing out possibilities.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:39 AM
My M45 loves to eat rice

The Belt Parkway gets ridiculous when it's raining out. I was coming home from Dyker Heights one night when it was pouring, and the whole ride home was just ridiculous. I was going about 45 the whole way home.

I was out on delivery today (I work for a pizzeria and yes, I do deliveries in my TL-S, I need the money) and my poor car went through hell. I got juice from grilled chicken all over my seats, my door panels were soaked, the little crevace in the door was flooded with water, it was an absolute mess. I didn't go out all night, I'm waiting until tomorrow morning to see how bad I messed up my interior after that little excursion.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Banned

next time DO NOT slam your brakes when your ON the puddle. it's best to just let go of the gas... you got extremely luck nothing else happened.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:12 AM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I think his 6 inches of water maybe less, I am going to guess that he exagerated to prove a point... I just keeping wondering how he did not hydroplane and/or lose control of the vehicle.... either way, tpatel, you got lucky man.....
Old 08-12-2004, 09:15 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
i was goin hella fast bout 100 when i saw the MASSIVE puddle on the belt parkway. i slammed the brakes and got down to 80 when i slammed into it all. after i get outta the puddle i here this metal grinding sound. i get off at the next exit and everything seems fine however its dark outside so not sure. i pump the brakes 5-6 times and hit the road and everything is ok ??!?! anybody want to venture a guess?!?! my brakes are very bad right now. so im guessing the metal behind whats left of the pad hit the rotor and since it was so hot, fused to it seems to be the only answer i could think of. any thoughts?!?!

I had something like that happen to me.... it was only maybe 1inch deep or less but i got the same thing. I was so scared.. btw i was only doing 50 in a 45mph when that happened... i broke lightly down to 30 or so. i heard a lot of grinding... once i came to a full stop got out the car the sound was gone.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
damn 100 mph on the belt? i'll watch out for u at night then.... u'll be the TL at 100mph zooming past me.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Cruisin'

I'm only going to say one thing..........after yesterday's storm you are such a dick for driving a 100mph ......especially on the belt parkway of all places.

But i still hope everything is ok.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by car_lost
next time DO NOT slam your brakes when your ON the puddle. it's best to just let go of the gas... you got extremely luck nothing else happened.
car_lost is correct. If you brake when you are driving through a puddle, you WILL hydroplane and spin out. The best thing to do before you hit the pool of water is let go of the gas pedal, and steer as straight as you can and pray you don't slide side ways. I had a nasty experience on Hwy 1 last year up here in BC - heavy down pour and the roads were literally sheets of water. I figured, heck, no problem, I got good tires with good traction. Everybody was crawling at around 50 kph (speed limit is 90 kph), and I whipped by at around 80 kph. Because visibility was poor, I didn't see the puddle of water until it was way too late. I let go of the gas and hit the puddle at around 60 kph...my TL hydroplaned a bit, and I can tell you, it was a scary moment. If I had braked, I would have cause a multi-car pile up for sure. That's one experience I don't ever want to repeat.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
WOW, I drive on the belt from time to time and if you were doing 100, then you are some kind of jeck, and that's being nice

It's guys like you who will kill some poor person that is doing nothing wrong and maybe yourself also. Any person that drives that fast on the belt should be put in jail for a week or so, this way other drives could be safe.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Peace out A-spec

^----wow hes madddddddddddddddddddd
Old 08-12-2004, 11:28 AM

Holy Crap, I better look out for this "belt" it sounds like everyone is on there and you guys don't like the idea of speeding on it.

mental note : drive the speedlimit when traveling on the "belt"

I hit +280km on the DVP going from Richmond Hill to downtwon Tornoto in 7.5min in rush hour traffic!! ( that trip can easily take over an hour in traffic, about 30-40 min in a good pace by car). I was a passenger on a Ninja1300, that is incredibly stupid I know, but I don't think I get in that much crap for telling my fellow Toronto TL'ers.

What's up with this "belt" tight turns? bad traffic? lots of accidents?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:59 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by frainc
WOW, I drive on the belt from time to time and if you were doing 100, then you are some kind of jeck, and that's being nice

It's guys like you who will kill some poor person that is doing nothing wrong and maybe yourself also. Any person that drives that fast on the belt should be put in jail for a week or so, this way other drives could be safe.
guys, i know when to drive fast and when to drive the limit ESP. on the belt. the road was dead. and thats y i was speeding. how many days do you have the BELT almost to yourself?!?! how many times can you speed on the belt?! its nearly impossible. if there were more cars i would never even dream of it.

thanks for all the info fellas. i guess debris just got caught in between pad and rotor. everything else seems to be fine.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:42 PM

thats sucks, i'm not driving tomorrow. charley is gonna eat up my ride
Old 08-12-2004, 01:28 PM
On the way!

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
Holy Crap, I better look out for this "belt" it sounds like everyone is on there and you guys don't like the idea of speeding on it.

mental note : drive the speedlimit when traveling on the "belt"

I hit +280km on the DVP going from Richmond Hill to downtwon Tornoto in 7.5min in rush hour traffic!! ( that trip can easily take over an hour in traffic, about 30-40 min in a good pace by car). I was a passenger on a Ninja1300, that is incredibly stupid I know, but I don't think I get in that much crap for telling my fellow Toronto TL'ers.

280kmh = 174 mph

I would have crapped my pants going that fast on the back of a bike!
Old 08-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom

Belt Parkway is a highway that pretty much runs thru bklyn to queens and connects you to southern state parkway in long island. the other side takes you to manhatten or staten island. since it goes to the major populated areas there are 100000000000000000 cars on it all the time. always slow moving traffic. and the road sucks ass. and right not they are renovating so it makes it 10X worse. sooo when you find that the belt is wide open like that, the speedster in you is just like " gotta floor it, gotta go for it"
Old 08-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
has the grinding gone away? is it all the time? could be the heat shield touching the rotor
Old 08-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Banned

thats possible.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
has the grinding gone away? is it all the time? could be the heat shield touching the rotor

nope the grinding is gone
Old 08-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Advanced

dude. i had a bigger tragedy with my 99 ssm tl. came home about 10pm and parked it on the street right outside my house. around 2am i woke up from this big boom noise. ran outside and the car just peeled out and noticed that he ran straight into my car. driver side headlight in a million pieces (just got that cleared too) impact cause the engine, battery, radiator, and intake to be damaged and misplaced. got an estimate today. gonna cost me $7300. lifes just great.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:44 PM
Who Dis Is?

I hear ya on that my car is staying in the garage because Charlie is gonna rape Florida tomorrow. Thank god I don't live in Tampa and especially midland.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
considering that you could of only used the middle lane of the belt (on the sides the shit is always flooded) and doing as you say 100?

I dont think i can even do 100 on a nice sunny day on the belt.

u got lucky.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

considering that you could of only used the middle lane of the belt (on the sides the shit is always flooded) and doing as you say 100?

I dont think i can even do 100 on a nice sunny day on the belt.

u got lucky.
yea on a sunny day u cant do that cus of traffic. at 11 at nite u can do it. and not all of the belt was flooded. actually only 1 section by exit 9 i think was flooded badly
Old 08-13-2004, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by fla-tls
280kmh = 174 mph

I would have crapped my pants going that fast on the back of a bike!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOh Yeah!! The driver was doing wome really illegal passes, dirving on the shoulder, passing on the single lane ramp and driving straight down the center between all the cars..

I thought to myself, if I do anything to screw the driver up, we're toast! So... I was leaning on every turn pretending it was a video game and had an incredible time!! Thank-God the driver was experienced, even though I know all it takes is a car changing lanes or a bump in the road and we're gone.

And from that day foward I swore I would never get a bike myself.. I would end up going wayyyy to fast, to often... and I don't have the money for thoes kind of tickets or insurance. Never the less, it was an ridiculously amazing time, and by far the fastest I have ever gone. And 280 was what I saw on the spedometer.. he went a little faster but I don't know how fast, that engine was whining!!!