Sick and Tired of People Bad Mouthing the TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 12:39 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just think it is getting rediculous. Lets go over the problems one by one, remembering that NO CAR (Lexus, Infinity, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc) is problem free.

Issue #1: "Transmission"

Despite what appears to be popular belief, the transmission on this car is not weak (It is actually VERY strong) and CAN handle the HP of this car (both TL-P and TL-S). While there is no excuse for this problem to have occured, it is important to remember that most of us still enjoy the extended waranty. Sure its a pain in the a$$, and it is the #1 fault of this car. I can tell you from experience, however, that post 1999 Chryslers had horrible transmissions (they are still not that great). You think this one is bad? Try an 92-98 Intrepid, Concorde, LHS, Stratus, etc... Of course the argument will be that this is a 31K car and the Intrepid, etc. is a 23k car, but despite this FACTS are FACTS. Also remember that according to Honda (a good friend of mine who is a Honda/Acura tech told me this) only 1 in 4 Transmissions are affected. Lets assume for the sake of argument that 4 out of 10 vehicles have this problem. (Again I stress that there is no excuse for this). that would mean 40% of all TL's transmissions were problematic... HOWEVER.... a quick run through of this board would make an outside party assume that 100% of transmissons were problematic. I know people who have 80, 90, 100 K+ MILES who have NO problems with their transmissions and are on their first one. I have seen and read posts from people who have not even experienced problems with their own trannies start to whine and complain about them.

Issue #2: "Squeaks and Rattles"

According to many posts I have read, another big complaint about this car is the squeaks and rattles it begins to produce (especially when it comes to the passenger and drivers seats) after driving it for a while. While I personally have not experienced this problem, I have driven in a 99 TL-P that DID suffer from this ailment... although it was minimal and not excessive, at least in my opinion. Look, ANY car will begin to squeak and rattle after a while, no matter which brand you buy. Another point to make is that most dealerships are willing to analyze and fix this problem for you with no hassel. While I can see how this can get anoying, this is NOT a major problem and can be fixed... all you need is time and patience.

Issue #3: "Cheap Interior"

Give me a break! Cheap!? This IS the BEST looking interior for $31k... no if, ands or buts! High quality leather, good looking plastics, nice carpeting, and fake wood trim that at least looks real. Why the hell do some of you talk about Lexus' interior; comparing and contrasting it to this car? If you find that the ES330's interior is so much better, and if it makes you feel good to pay 36k+ for a Camry why didn't you buy one? Show me one car with an MSRP of 28-32k with an interior that is better than the TL's (especially the TL-S)... and I'll personally buy you lunch at any restaurant of your choice.

Issue #4: "Cheap Stereo"

The BOSE 5-speaker stereo is NOT cheap. Is it BMW audiophile quality? No. Not even close. However, I once again ask what do you expect for 31k? The BOSE stereo produces a nice, crisp sound and only begins to deteriorate at VERY high volume settings. One car that does beat the BOSE system hands down in this price range is the 300M from Chrysler (But who wants a 300M?) Some would argue that the Mark Levinson stereo found in the ES330 (as optional equipment) beats the BOSE hands down. And I would agree, however, I still argue that the ES330 DOES NOT compete with this car in any respect. All and all I feel you got what you paid for and should be happy with it as it is a fine system... If you want something better go and spend 1k and upgrade it... not hard at all.

Issue #5: "Rotors"

Yes, I know these are crap... HOWEVER... rotors are a MINOR detail... I rather have my rotors go after 20k than have a gasket blow or something much more serious. Stop whining and go out and spend the $ to get a good set of breaks. In talking with people on this board who went with Brembo, etc... I have found that all of them are happy with their replacements and are experiencing no problems. The reason why our rotors are sh*t is simple: they are far to thin. Even my dealer told me about this before I purchased the car. He told me to go to something else once they start warping and the waranty no longer covers them. All and all a minor detail, at least in my books.

Issue #6: "Tires"

I'll make this one short and sweet. Acura did NOT design this car to be pushed to its limits. It is not made for taking corners that are posted 15 MPH at 50 MPH. This car was designed as a FAMILY sport sedan (the word FAMILY being emphansized) and we must keep this in mind. MOST TL buyers fall into a 50+ demographic and wont take the car past 65 let alone 100 MPH. For people like these... the stock tires are fine. I personally dont like them and will be replacing them in 1 week with Z-Rated Proxes.

I think those are the main issues people seem to have with this car...Most of which I feel are minor and perhaps should not even be considered "issues." Personally, I think the 2nd Generation TL is one of the nicest 4-doors on the road. It has an agressive look with decisive lines. It is sleek. It IS powerful. The engine sound is amazing. The interior is beautiful. Perhaps its time to start praising our cars again, rather then bashing them. I know that I am a "newbie" on this board and fully expect there to be flammed by many of you who have had problems with this car (I particularly expect to be flamed on the transmission/rotor issue) and I want to let you know I do sympathize with you.... but some of you need to stop beating a dead horse.... if you dont like it... SELL IT... buy something new... Go join clublex*s.com or some other site. I personally love this car, and I would recommend it to my best friend.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:40 AM
Racer

Re: Sick and Tired of People Bad Mouthing the TL

Originally posted by bennyvito
Show me one car with an MSRP of 28-32k with an interior that is better than the TL's (especially the TL-S)... and I'll personally buy you lunch at any restaurant of your choice.
Hmmm...how about the Infinity G35? Although I do realize that probably this is stretching a little in terms of price range of 28-32K.

I know, I know it's probably more expensive but hey, it was worth a shot since a lunch at any restaurant of my choosing was on the line :p .
Old 10-28-2003, 02:17 AM
Advanced

Re: Re: Sick and Tired of People Bad Mouthing the TL

Originally posted by lodoss22

I know, I know it's probably more expensive but hey, it was worth a shot since a lunch at any restaurant of my choosing was on the line :p .
LOL

But you can't be serious about the G35.... It's interior is fugly... to say the least... I compared the G35 (Coupe, which is the only nice G35... the sedan is hidious) with the TL-S A-SPEC I bought and found that I was getting more bang for my buck. While the G35 is not in the specified price category, I would tend to believe that most people on this board would agree with my analysis that its interior cannot be considerd a strong, or "selling point" of the car. The seats, however are nice... but the dash and materials feel cheap and look even worse.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:57 AM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test drove the 2004 TL and G35 day before yesterday. I can proudly say that even the interior in my 2002 TLS looked so much better than the G35 and I've had my car since May 2001. The 2004 TL absolutely blew away the G35's interior. No comparison whatsoever.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Instructor

"NO CAR (Lexus, Infinity, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc) is problem free"..."Also remember that according to Honda (a good friend of mine is a Honda/Acura tech told me this) only 1 in 4 Transmissions are affected."

ONLY???!!!! I said it before, but World Class Manufacture (WCM), as Honda claims to be, should have defect rate for major components in PPM (parts per million) not TEN THOUSAND TIMES higher! As to the statement that "no car is problem free" - there are problems and there are PROBLEMS. My first car was Altima-93 (my son still drives it). It has had problems: first - fuel gauge died at 40K, second - fuel pump died at 120K - and that's it! Engine and transmission work and sound as they did on the day I bought it. And that's not an exception - I know other people who drive Nissan cars - same story. And bringing Chrysler as an example - give me a break! Not quite a shining beacon of quality. You buy Chrysler and you'd better schedule an appointment before you leave the dealership.
Having said all that - I love Acura! And that's precisely the reason why I take it so personally. They should be much better...
Old 10-28-2003, 07:37 AM
Drifting

No reason to get defensive about the TLS. It is what it is.

Would I rather have real wood trim or $$$ in my pocket? I'll take the latter please.

Would I rather have a full choice of interior and exterior combinations or money in my pocket?

Would I rather have a Mark Levinson stereo or $$$ in my pocket to upgrade on my own?

The stock tires ARE a piece of crap and are only there because they are cheap but to be honest, I'd rather have $$$ in my pocket because I prefer to have seperate summer and winter tires anyways.

It would be nice if the stock suspension was a little more like Comptech but hey, I have plenty of money in my pocket to spend on suspension upgrades which Acura is very friendly towards.

The only real concern with this car is FWD but like I said, it is what it is and we all knew that going in. I applaud Acura for standing up to their product and giving everyone a 7 year tranny warranty. That's more than most car companies would do.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:17 AM
Racer

I agree, and good post - but we can only say "I love my car" so many times. People will post on this site when they are having problems.. not when everything is peachy.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

I just think it is getting rediculous. Lets go over the problems one by one, remembering that NO CAR (Lexus, Infinity, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc) is problem free.

Issue #1: "Transmission"

Despite what appears to be popular belief, the transmission on this car is not weak (It is actually VERY strong) and CAN handle the HP of this car (both TL-P and TL-S). While there is no excuse for this problem to have occured, it is important to remember that most of us still enjoy the extended waranty. Sure its a pain in the a$$, and it is the #1 fault of this car. I can tell you from experience, however, that post 1999 Chryslers had horrible transmissions (they are still not that great). You think this one is bad? Try an 92-98 Intrepid, Concorde, LHS, Stratus, etc... Of course the argument will be that this is a 31K car and the Intrepid, etc. is a 23k car, but despite this FACTS are FACTS. Also remember that according to Honda (a good friend of mine who is a Honda/Acura tech told me this) only 1 in 4 Transmissions are affected. Lets assume for the sake of argument that 4 out of 10 vehicles have this problem. (Again I stress that there is no excuse for this). that would mean 40% of all TL's transmissions were problematic... HOWEVER.... a quick run through of this board would make an outside party assume that 100% of transmissons were problematic. I know people who have 80, 90, 100 K+ MILES who have NO problems with their transmissions and are on their first one. I have seen and read posts from people who have not even experienced problems with their own trannies start to whine and complain about them.

Issue #2: "Squeaks and Rattles"

According to many posts I have read, another big complaint about this car is the squeaks and rattles it begins to produce (especially when it comes to the passenger and drivers seats) after driving it for a while. While I personally have not experienced this problem, I have driven in a 99 TL-P that DID suffer from this ailment... although it was minimal and not excessive, at least in my opinion. Look, ANY car will begin to squeak and rattle after a while, no matter which brand you buy. Another point to make is that most dealerships are willing to analyze and fix this problem for you with no hassel. While I can see how this can get anoying, this is NOT a major problem and can be fixed... all you need is time and patience.

Issue #3: "Cheap Interior"

Give me a break! Cheap!? This IS the BEST looking interior for $31k... no if, ands or buts! High quality leather, good looking plastics, nice carpeting, and fake wood trim that at least looks real. Why the hell do some of you talk about Lexus' interior; comparing and contrasting it to this car? If you find that the ES330's interior is so much better, and if it makes you feel good to pay 36k+ for a Camry why didn't you buy one? Show me one car with an MSRP of 28-32k with an interior that is better than the TL's (especially the TL-S)... and I'll personally buy you lunch at any restaurant of your choice.

Issue #4: "Cheap Stereo"

The BOSE 5-speaker stereo is NOT cheap. Is it BMW audiophile quality? No. Not even close. However, I once again ask what do you expect for 31k? The BOSE stereo produces a nice, crisp sound and only begins to deteriorate at VERY high volume settings. One car that does beat the BOSE system hands down in this price range is the 300M from Chrysler (But who wants a 300M?) Some would argue that the Mark Levinson stereo found in the ES330 (as optional equipment) beats the BOSE hands down. And I would agree, however, I still argue that the ES330 DOES NOT compete with this car in any respect. All and all I feel you got what you paid for and should be happy with it as it is a fine system... If you want something better go and spend 1k and upgrade it... not hard at all.

Issue #5: "Rotors"

Yes, I know these are crap... HOWEVER... rotors are a MINOR detail... I rather have my rotors go after 20k than have a gasket blow or something much more serious. Stop whining and go out and spend the $ to get a good set of breaks. In talking with people on this board who went with Brembo, etc... I have found that all of them are happy with their replacements and are experiencing no problems. The reason why our rotors are sh*t is simple: they are far to thin. Even my dealer told me about this before I purchased the car. He told me to go to something else once they start warping and the waranty no longer covers them. All and all a minor detail, at least in my books.

Issue #6: "Tires"

I'll make this one short and sweet. Acura did NOT design this car to be pushed to its limits. It is not made for taking corners that are posted 15 MPH at 50 MPH. This car was designed as a FAMILY sport sedan (the word FAMILY being emphansized) and we must keep this in mind. MOST TL buyers fall into a 50+ demographic and wont take the car past 65 let alone 100 MPH. For people like these... the stock tires are fine. I personally dont like them and will be replacing them in 1 week with Z-Rated Proxes.

I think those are the main issues people seem to have with this car...Most of which I feel are minor and perhaps should not even be considered "issues." Personally, I think the 2nd Generation TL is one of the nicest 4-doors on the road. It has an agressive look with decisive lines. It is sleek. It IS powerful. The engine sound is amazing. The interior is beautiful. Perhaps its time to start praising our cars again, rather then bashing them. I know that I am a "newbie" on this board and fully expect there to be flammed by many of you who have had problems with this car (I particularly expect to be flamed on the transmission/rotor issue) and I want to let you know I do sympathize with you.... but some of you need to stop beating a dead horse.... if you dont like it... SELL IT... buy something new... Go join clublex*s.com or some other site. I personally love this car, and I would recommend it to my best friend.
thank you! a agree with your comments 100%,
for those who disslike the car---go buy a lexus and spend more!
Old 10-28-2003, 09:32 AM
Instructor

Old 10-28-2003, 09:52 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

I might be wrong but I remember reading a post here, that said, 7 % of the trannies from 1999 to 2003 were problematic. I can't see 1 in 4 of these cars trannies goning bad, 25% of the cars tranies going bad would entitle a total recall, but 7% seems like it would be more believable. I gaurentee if everyone on this board posted if they have had a tranny replaced vs. the members of thisa board that have not had any problems with their tranny whatsoever. But who is going to post a thread " MY TRANSMISSION WORKS LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO"
Old 10-28-2003, 10:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Very well written. Especially agree with Rotors and Tires. Rotors are a wear and tear item and are not hard to replace. Like you said, better than gasket. Tires. Agreed, not to pleased with them, but it is a "family" sedan and it's a generic tire for tooling around town. The way I figure it, I'll ride the tires for a year or so to get some wear out of them, then upgrade and be like "wow" as many have posted here.
Negative things we read are easier to believe than the positive stuff. C'mon guyz, when your car is freshly washed, zaino'd, waxed, etc. you're stil snapping necks on the road !!!
Old 10-28-2003, 10:14 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
But who is going to post a thread " MY TRANSMISSION WORKS LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO"
Me!

I agree 100%. I can aford any car less than $55k and I chose what I chose for a reason.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

My $0.02 Canadian (About US$0.00000000132)

I bought the TL because I liked it the way it is. I wanted to have a half-decent sport-sedan that won't require me to get a 2nd and 3rd mortgage. I got what I wanted.

There may be "deficiencies" on rotors, tires, stereo, etc.. but I can live with that. Whatever other people may want on their cars, wheter it be VW style side-markers or Lexus style pedals or even Indy 500 style rear wings, it's other people's expressions not mine.

I don't need to pepper my Type-S with more than one emblem 'coz I don't need to prove anything. (It would probably make my car look more like a wanna-be Type-S than a real one, but that's my opinion.)

There may be better tires out there, but I'll wait until mine wears out. There may be better rotors out there, I'll wait until my warranty is done. Sure my stereo is not a Nakamichi, but how much time do I really spend inside the car to appreciate it? If I wanted a Nakamichi, I'm sure I'd get one too.

And Oh, the "wood accent trim", Even if there is actually real wood in there, some people will still say " they should have put mahogany instead of walnut".

The car is not perfect. Nothing out there is. I may say the Nissan/ Infinity sucks but that's my opinion. Maybe G35 lovers think I'm totally out of this world but again THAT'S MY EXPRESSION. I have a car that looks decent, has a nice interior, and a kick-a** motor. In my humble opinion, a great balance of power and amenities for my money.

I let other people admire the car (and yes, Lexus and Infiniti owners included) and let them tell me I made a wrong decision, so far none has come up to say. I'm sure if i got a XG350 instead, I would still be clamoring for some of those comments that may never happen.

"Arguments are not to be won, but to become more understanding and accepting that the other guy was a complete idiot"
Old 10-28-2003, 11:38 AM
Rock Star

thank God someone finally said it i mean tell me the car that will be problem free the life of the car and i will buy 2 of them...my tranny is fine i do hate the tires for lack of grip but that can be a rather cheap upgrade...havent had any problems w the rotors to date......also peeps dont realize that w upgrades problems may occur when u mod something u r takin away something that fits and many times repalcin it w something that is bigger better and needs more juice so ofcourse its gonna get effected i have had my car for 15 mos and love the look the feel and the price for a lease on a bmw 3 series whic had all the things that my tl had they wanted 5k down and 500 a mounth.....yup u read it right no joke where i put 2k down and got my tl for 379 a mounth and its a type s.....so to all u tl haters STOP IT.....life is about choices lead,follow, or get out of the fukcin way....peace
Old 10-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by ResidualFreedom
I might be wrong but I remember reading a post here, that said, 7 % of the trannies from 1999 to 2003 were problematic. I can't see 1 in 4 of these cars trannies goning bad, 25% of the cars tranies going bad would entitle a total recall, but 7% seems like it would be more believable. I gaurentee if everyone on this board posted if they have had a tranny replaced vs. the members of thisa board that have not had any problems with their tranny whatsoever. But who is going to post a thread " MY TRANSMISSION WORKS LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO"
Actually... that was a VERY LIBERAL estimate.... But let us assume for one minute, that 7% is correct.... You basically just proved my point... My point being that this problems with the transmisson would appear to be grossly inflated in a percentile to an outside party. As I said, I have actually seen people who have never experienced any problems with the tranny start to whine and b*tch... My conclusion is simple: If you don't like the car, SELL it... buy something that makes YOU happy.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Instructor

"so to all u tl haters STOP IT.....life is about choices lead,follow, or get out of the fukcin way....peace"

What can I say... Apart from being rude, it's also stupid. People on this forum love their cars, but they also see its shortcomings. They are not "haters" and they are not "badmouthing" – they are telling the truth. Please don't put the label of "haters" on everybody who disagrees with you or thinks differently.
And this is why it's stupid (sorry for being rude!). If Acura adopted your attitude "love it as it is", "defects are ok - all cars have defects", "that's your choice" and so on, your next car going to be worse than your current car. That's the law - things tend to deteriorate and get worse if you are not constantly trying to improve them. And you can't improve them until you stop denying the problem. I am sure that Acura engineers are doing their best to get rid of the problems and make their next car better, instead of saying "love it or leave it". Probably because they realize that in that case, sooner or later, more people will "leave it" than "love it".
Old 10-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Advanced

While you make a point Greg, you do not seem to see the entire picture.

All cars have/will have shortcoming/problems. It is inevitable. HOWEVER, I found that most of the "issues" with this car cannot even be considered issues... (ie. tires, stereo, rotors, interior) and that the issue with regards to the transmisson was not as widespread as one would think after reading the posts on this website. In my opinion, I think the TL has FAR MORE benefits then shortcomings, and I would like to see people on this board beging to praise their cars again, rather then tread on them.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by gregtomash
...they realize that in that case, sooner or later, more people will "leave it" than "love it".
Old 10-28-2003, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Thank you, bennyvito, for sensible reply! I still think, though, that this forum isn't the place of worship, where we should praise THE ACURA. This is more like within the family, where we can freely discuss problems we otherwise wouldn't talk about with all those morons who drive something else. Besides, you can hardly expect that people, who went through the aggravation of several transmission changes or, worse, had locked them up at highway speeds, would say nothing but good about the car. Again, I love my car - but I want my next Acura be better! And you wouldn't get it just by praising.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by gregtomash
Thank you, bennyvito, for sensible reply!

Your very welcome I thank you for your imput.

Again, I love my car - but I want my next Acura be better! And you wouldn't get it just by praising.
I agree with every word written
Old 10-28-2003, 10:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
This is a great thread. I loved my 2002 TL-P. It was the best car I'd ever owned....until the 2004 TL came along. I was happy enough with my '02 that the upgrade to another Acura product that was even better was a no-brainer. I had only minor issues with the '02, all easily fixed with trips to the dealer during scheduled maintenance. I had no tranny difficulty in 33k miles. The TL, whether 2G or 3G, is simply the most car for the money. I can afford a BMW 5-series but chose to put the money I saved buying a TL toward my retirement.

The TL is what it is (as someone said above) and I like it. A lot.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:33 PM
Advanced

Thanks neuronbob,

I just thought that all of the above needed to be said... and I am happy that the post has so far gotten a warm reception. Keep it coming.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:08 AM
Racer

Mr ,Vito

I can see you have great passion for what you believe in.

You are afterall the proud owner of your 2003 spec car {Don't know what that is } Oct 25th 2003 ...... you took possesion of the car,So you have owned the car for 5 ~ Days' Congrats to you .

I admire your passion. I am like you ,with great passion' when I believe in something.

I see you have stated you won't be driving your car over 35mph while breaking it in ..Do FORGIVE me I forgot how MANY miles you said you were going to drive it 35MPH. Hope you leave REALLY early for work ,or there's no emergency that you get some where in " REAL TIME " and HAVE to DRIVE the speed limit,so as not to UPSET that break in period .......... WHO KNOWS WHAT MAY HAPPEN TO THE TRANNY ,if THAT gets' OFF SCHEDULE~

Yes ,what passion you have.......... I sincerely hope the passion your showing towards these issues doesn't stem from fears regarding resale value of your A-Spec 2003 Acura.... I mean you wouldn't dream of selling it ,I am sure since you've just owned it 5 days'.

Well your probably driving right now ......10 rows of cars behind you blasting their horns'....... But when you get back from your test drive ( Break in Drive} or whatever kind of driving your doing and read this ,maybe you'll have the time to start a spam of posts' that to address the many who have owned the car for MUCH longer and whom have had accidents' or near death expieriences or say like 5 tranny replacements'.

Yes ,show all the passion of a five day Acura owner ~ I was ONCE in your shoes'.

Until my accident ,due to the tranny locking up.

Please forgive me, for feeling passionate about that.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:25 AM
Cruisin'

This is the great things about forums, everyone can post the opinions. Others can read and educate themselves to form there own opinion.

There is one factor that everyone will probably agree with you as do I. Forums are typically used for complaints about certain things and tend to lean in this direction.

Would you be willing to buy any vehicle make, knowing that the exact vehicle you are buying has had major mechanical problems? I don't believe anyone would pay good money knowing a problem exists.

But in the event you would, that is your option and you should feel good about your purchase and not have to concern yourself with the safety of you, your family or the people around you.

If you enjoy your car, great! I wouldn't have purchased the car if I didn't think it was the best car for us at the time. Small issues like squeaks, rattles and warped rotors are managable but generally will not cause a major accident. Transmissions that seize at speed with no warning do. And the problem is, no one knows if or when it will happen.

That is not a risk I am willing to take unless given the opportunity to do it as a professional driver in a properly configured vehicle.

If you like your car, great! If you don't, great! No one makes the decision for you.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:36 AM
lover and fighter

Small issues like squeaks, rattles and warped rotors are managable but generally will not cause a major accident. Transmissions that seize at speed with no warning do. And the problem is, no one knows if or when it will happen.
danog, I think a couple of posters have scared you...There hasn't been a single case wherein a tranmission as been proven to have locked up. None, zero, zip...In fact, most that are bi+ching the most about the safety issues had precursors to problems and ignored them or were ignorant of them. Is there an issue for some people? Yes. Was an NHTSA investigation made? Yes. Did Acura investigate? Yes. Did several major insureres investigate claims of people? Yes.

I'm in the insurance business. I deal with death and destruction daily. I make enough money to essentially drive anything I want under $60g's and I would not put myself in harms way to make a point, for a forum--nothing. The car is just not unsafe. If mechanical problems warrant not buying a car, I understand that entirely, but safety is not a proven issue with the TL and its transmission at all.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
#3 "Cheap Interior"

I HATE my interior with a passion. If anyone touches the vinyl ANYWHERE in this car in leave terrible prints (No, I have NO dressing on the vinyl at all). In addition, it SCUFFS terribly (door sills, map pockets, B-Pillar where seatbelt hits when let go).
The plastic is too soft in those areas.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by r10apple
...There hasn't been a single case wherein a tranmission as been proven to have locked up. None, zero, zip...In fact, most that are bi+ching the most about the safety issues had precursors to problems and ignored them or were ignorant of them...
HERE WE GO WITH THIS AGAIN The typical bashing on this site of anyone thats ever expressed dismay about their TL.

My tranny went from 5th gear at 70MPH to 2nd gear, lurched like I was being rear-ended and chipped the tires but good on the lock up. This happened on I-95 in the middle of rush hour traffic. No idea where you come off with your pronouncement that its never been proved. You're wrong. Period. (Also, not sure why it was relevant to tell us you make enough to buy a $60k car. That lends no more credibility to your point than if you made the money that Bill Gate's does; you'd still be incorrect.)

Sorry to say but the cordiality in this forum had really gone down hill over the past 2 years and thats why I made the jump over to a c u r a w o r l d.com, as many others that used to be on these boards did as well. The group over there is so much more open to a give and take of ideas. I just popped back on these boards to see whats been going on (and to check on a guy I helped out with a request from the service manual the other day) and see its the same old, same old, with the typical vexatious buzzwords like you used above, calling people "ignorant" if their tranny dies, as if I was supposed to know before it happened to pull the thing apart and replace the 3rd gear clutch pak (the defect that shreads apart and causes the trannys to go).
Since Acura/Honda issued no recall, you have to wait to until it craps out and hang on for the 'thrill ride' before you can get it fixed.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by That Girl
Mr ,Vito

I can see you have great passion for what you believe in.

You are afterall the proud owner of your 2003 spec car {Don't know what that is } Oct 25th 2003 ...... you took possesion of the car,So you have owned the car for 5 ~ Days' Congrats to you .

I admire your passion. I am like you ,with great passion' when I believe in something.

I see you have stated you won't be driving your car over 35mph while breaking it in ..Do FORGIVE me I forgot how MANY miles you said you were going to drive it 35MPH. Hope you leave REALLY early for work ,or there's no emergency that you get some where in " REAL TIME " and HAVE to DRIVE the speed limit,so as not to UPSET that break in period .......... WHO KNOWS WHAT MAY HAPPEN TO THE TRANNY ,if THAT gets' OFF SCHEDULE~

Yes ,what passion you have.......... I sincerely hope the passion your showing towards these issues doesn't stem from fears regarding resale value of your A-Spec 2003 Acura.... I mean you wouldn't dream of selling it ,I am sure since you've just owned it 5 days'.

Well your probably driving right now ......10 rows of cars behind you blasting their horns'....... But when you get back from your test drive ( Break in Drive} or whatever kind of driving your doing and read this ,maybe you'll have the time to start a spam of posts' that to address the many who have owned the car for MUCH longer and whom have had accidents' or near death expieriences or say like 5 tranny replacements'.

Yes ,show all the passion of a five day Acura owner ~ I was ONCE in your shoes'.

Until my accident ,due to the tranny locking up.

Please forgive me, for feeling passionate about that.
LOL.

You know, people like you make me laugh... Small minds trying to sound intelligent... You are correct in stating that I took delivery of my A-Spec on the 25th of October... But you assume too much. What you oblivious to is not only did my company own 7 2002 TL-P's as daily drivers for our brokers and accountants, but that not one of them experienced a major problem... that is unless you consider a light going out major... You want to talk about passion? The only thing your passionate about is the social security check that comes in the mail every 2 weeks. Unlike you, I have a job, and have OWNED (not leased) many cars, ranging from Honda’s to BMW’S, Vipers, etc… My opinion is this: for 31k this car can’t be beaten… As a daily driver my A-Spec satisfies me completely. Stop wasting this boards time with pathetic analogies and analytical garbage. It makes me sick to think my tax dollars are going to people like you.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:49 PM
lover and fighter

My tranny went from 5th gear at 70MPH to 2nd gear, lurched like I was being rear-ended and chipped the tires but good on the lock up. This happened on I-95 in the middle of rush hour traffic. No idea where you come off with your pronouncement that its never been proved.
Okay, now I'm calling you ignorant. It's either that or you are so high on your soapbox you couldn't quite read what I wrote, and at this point in life, I could care less about giving you and your apparent fragile ego the benefit of the doubt...

If your car goes from 5th to 2nd at 70mph, your tachometer shoots to 6900 rpm (or thereabout) and yes, the physics of the downshift will lurch your body forward. However, your transmission did not "lock up" causing you to stop in the middle of the freeway! I often downshift at freeway speeds and it is the same concept, just in your case you weren't aware it was about to happen. If some clown runs in the back of you, he wasn't paying attention to what was going on ahead of him. At 70mph, he should be at least 70feet behind you, and no, downshifting into 2nd even from 70mph isn't going to cause absolute rapid decceleration. Yes, if struck from behind the proximate cause of your loss may be considered the product downshifting without warning, but unless you are sitting behind the wheel in a coma, you ought to have full control of your car if it downshifts...A seatbelt ought to protect your precious, little face from the steering wheel.

That girl's prior accident posting scenario called out the inconsistencies in her story over the true modus of the loss. Physics did not agree with her relations of the facts.

Further, some with tranny problems even posted about having slipping, jerking, mis-shifts etc., AND CONTINUED TO DRIVE THEIR CAR! How fu(king stupid is that? You read posts about symptoms, you continue to drive around and post questions while you do and then post later about almost dying. i just don't get it...

As far as a-world.com, to each his own. I personally like a-cl.com better that all of the sites that abound. There are plenty of people that get helped here daily. No more than other sites. If you don't like sarcasm, oh well, tough ti++y. But, maybe you like a-world because you are a sympathizer since I know there are a couple of people there in active litigation over this issue. However, if you take the time to read what was first posted about their individual accidents, driver error had more to do with their losses than anything (ie--racing someone else and then cutting in front of another car on the freeway just as the tranny downshifts; someone who's car downshifts and they slam on the brakes in the middle of the highway as their reaction, which causes someone to rearend them). It's like having a blow-out in an SUV: 99% of those people slam on the brakes the minute the tire blows which is absolutely the worst thing you could ever do. Driver's Ed 101 people...

As far as the money I make, there have been response from your lot about people not buying other cars because they can't afford it, or afford to get out of their "infected" cars because of BS depreciation. Um, I can. I could buy a myriad of cars if I thought mine was unsafe, and I could buy them in 5 minutes if need be. Oh yeah, back to rading comprehension, I said I could afford a $60k car on my own personal budget. I make enough to, well, who cares WTF I actually make, 'tard...

Lastly, I am plenty cordial. Born and raised in the good 'ol south. Just ask Ms. Type S Lady or Mr. ...

Old 10-29-2003, 07:13 PM
Advanced

After re-reading your posts That Girl, I can only come to the same conclusion as r10apple. You are a moron. A total waste of space. Dare I use the word DEGENERATE.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:27 PM
Racer

Hello~

Apple needs to be behind the driver's seat when an ACURA 3.2 tranny LOCKS up ....THEN and ONLY then will you KNOW and be QUALIFIED to make presumptions'

I would feel IGNORANT to even state such a thing if it had not happend to me .

EGO????? I SAW your picture and ..well I said you LOOK nicer then what you sound here .. Guess you never saw that post ...cause the thread got locked .. But let me point out to you .. Mr. South ...backwoods,or whatever you call yourself ;this should be clear to you already ,but when someone say's you LOOK nice.. UH .... You get the concept .. NO? Well it's just being nice ,surley you get THAT~

I don't know if your ego can take it ... since you do seem to think your BREATHTAKING~ Scary .......

Anyway ~

Vito ...

I confess ...I am jobless.... SS pay's my bills ...all of them and yes I just sit around doing nothing while you, you poor soul , work SO HARD and all your tax dollars go to the like's of people like me...

I also own a jet ,compliments' of SS as well~ and actually it's on auction at EBAY right now as I have decided I want a yaucht instead ... oh !!!! ~~~will those of us OLD FOGGIE's on Social security EVER make up our minds and be satisfied?

Have a nice day boy's..... it's been a pleasure chatting with you again.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:47 AM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Benny,

I agree with many of your points...the main one being that all cars have problems. The point you are missing is that one of the MAIN selling points of Honda/Acura is the confidence of reliability this brand has established. Failing transmissions in Chrysler- made vehicles are no surprise. In a Honda? BIG surprise. These tranny failures have left a black mark on the brand for me, and I will never be back...and mostly because I have been duped into believing I was buying 'Reliability', and I did not get it. This also throws the 'Value' concept out the window as well in my book.

There are just too many cars out there in this price range now that are equal or better.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by r10apple
Okay, now I'm calling you ignorant....

...unless you are sitting behind the wheel in a coma, you ought to have full control of your car if it downshifts...

...'tard...

As I said before, there are too many people now on this site that are like you: Fast with the mouth, obnoxious, and think they know it all. And the stupid remark you made about my ego - What the heck are you even talking about?? My post had nothing to do with bragging rights, ego or anything like that (lest anyone overlook that YOU'RE the guy who talked about all the money you make as your 'proof' that somehow makes you an authority about whether someone can get hurt by unexpected major de-acceleration). My post was simply an accurate recitation of facts.

No point discussing anything else you wrote above because you're not interested in actually discussing anything. But I will say that I really do get a chuckle out of the garbage that spews forth from you. It is truly baffling. You make a comparison between using SS on highway and the tranny malfunctioning and dropping unexpectedly from 5th to 2nd. I mean are you serious? You must be kidding?! There is no way you could get your TL tranny to do that even if you wanted to. And there is a plenty good reason why the ECU won't allow you to do that. But your a smart boy, you can figure that out on your own. And if you are REAL lucky, it might just happen to you so you can feel what its like for yourself --- seat belt and all to hold you in the seat. You still get propelled forward pretty hard in the seat. I talk from personal experience. It sounds like you talk from your A s s.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by garylee55
Benny,

...The point you are missing is that one of the MAIN selling points of Honda/Acura is the confidence of reliability this brand has established. Failing transmissions in Chrysler- made vehicles are no surprise. In a Honda? BIG surprise. These tranny failures have left a black mark on the brand for me, and I will never be back...and mostly because I have been duped into believing I was buying 'Reliability', and I did not get it. This also throws the 'Value' concept out the window as well in my book.

There are just too many cars out there in this price range now that are equal or better.

Very well said Garylee. Honda is living off the vapors of its once reliable past. I have a friend who's been a dedicated honda owner for the past 5 cars he's had since 1987. It wasnt until he got to his 98 Accord that he's had problems. Lately its been with the check engine light giving false codes from the ECU about the catalytic converter going bad. He wasted over a grand having Honda replace it and he still gets the fault code. If you check on any Honda owners forum site (which unfortunately he didnt do until after he'd brought the car to Honda thinking they would fix it), you will see the 1998-2000 Accords are plagued by this problem. Nobody knows the cause, and Honda doesnt even have a cure. The service department just happily takes take your money and says "tough luck, it must be something else, but we had to replace the cat' as part of the process of elimination. "
Thats nonsense.

BTW, I just read this morning that Infinity is recalling the G35 due to a problem with a sensor, which could cause the car not to start or run right. Imagine that, a car company fixing a problem with a proactive recall, rather than a bogus extension of warranty where the part has to crap out first before you can get it fixed. I am not a fan of the looks of a G35, but Infinity certainly will get my look the next time I am car shopping. Sure cars are machines and have parts that fail. The point you have made, which is a very good one, is about how the manufacturer goes about remedying it.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:10 PM
lover and fighter

Apple needs to be behind the driver's seat when an ACURA 3.2 tranny LOCKS up ....THEN and ONLY then will you KNOW and be QUALIFIED to make presumptions'
Um, I believe I've posted about my tranny before. This also goes along with your partner in crime 2002acuraTL's comment: It went out while racing; went from 2nd to 5th to 3rd to 4th to 2nd at high speeds. Did I take it the dealer with active problems and downshifts anyway? Yup--despite the risk as I was too lazy to wait on the tow truck. Did I bi+ch? Nope. Did I get thrown forward? Yup. Did I misconstrue downshifts with locking up (which isn't a semantic argument)? Nope...

EGO????? I SAW your picture and ..well I said you LOOK nicer then what you sound here .. Guess you never saw that post ...cause the thread got locked .. But let me point out to you .. Mr. South ...backwoods,or whatever you call yourself ;this should be clear to you already ,but when someone say's you LOOK nice.. UH .... You get the concept .. NO? Well it's just being nice ,surley you get THAT~
WTF are you talking about? Nevermind. I don't wanna even know.

Honda is living off the vapors of its once reliable past.
Wow. Stupidest comment on the entire thread. If Honda isn't a reliable make, JD Power, Consumer Reports, Edmunds--all are snowed. If Honda isn't reliable, I'll be the next Polish Pope.

You make a comparison between using SS on highway and the tranny malfunctioning and dropping unexpectedly from 5th to 2nd. I mean are you serious? You must be kidding?! There is no way you could get your TL tranny to do that even if you wanted to. And there is a plenty good reason why the ECU won't allow you to do that.
Really? You sure? Really sure? Ever try it? Have you got pics of 4 bald/flat spots on your 4 tires showing you "locked-up" at 70mph? You show me that and I believe you. Otherwise, your car downshifted (just as s/s would do if driving hard). No difference.

Fast with the mouth, obnoxious, and think they know it all.
Guilty for being fast with the mouth, but my noggin' operates just as fast. I have plenty of posts wherein it is clear, and I even state as much, that I too look for help and advice as I do not know it all. Now, do I know more than you guys about accidents and accident reconstructions? Yup. Do I know about product recalls and product defect claims and legal procedure? Yup. Do I know more about insurance? Yup. Do I have better reading comprehension skills? Apparently so.

And, for a fine seguay if I do say so myself:

And the stupid remark you made about my ego - What the heck are you even talking about??
Words incite you so easily. You become so offended, so quickly. I'm guessing being humble is something you admire, and sarcasm apparently is a lost avenue for someone else expressing their point of view. I can see your ears just as red as they can be reading this. We can discuss this all day. We can debate this all year. Whatever, I'm game...
Old 10-30-2003, 04:50 PM
Racer

Apple,

I knew you would get fired up at my commect on your ego~ Don't know what I'm talking about?

Sure you do~ But there are many more important things to discuss ...

Such as these comments' you made.

Really? You sure? Really sure? Ever try it? Have you got pics of 4 bald/flat spots on your 4 tires showing you "locked-up" at 70mph? You show me that and I believe you. Otherwise, your car downshifted (just as s/s would do if driving hard). No difference.

APPLE ... Acura replaced ALL my tires from the lockup ... Only tow needed replaced ,since it is front wheel drive I guess and the other two weren't effected ............ BUT ...oh indeed there were bald spots or whatever they call them from the car locking up and AGAIN ,they were replaced..

PROOF? HA ... Yes Acura service dept will vouch for me as it is in the repairs they did. Does that satisfy you~

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fast with the mouth, obnoxious, and think they know it all.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guilty for being fast with the mouth, but my noggin' operates just as fast. I have plenty of posts wherein it is clear, and I even state as much, that I too look for help and advice as I do not know it all. Now, do I know more than you guys about accidents and accident reconstructions? Yup. Do I know about product recalls and product defect claims and legal procedure? Yup. Do I know more about insurance? Yup. Do I have better reading comprehension skills? Apparently so.

And, for a fine seguay if I do say so myself:

I will tell you this .. You were NOT in my car when I had the accident ... You don't have a clue .. I may not be able to explain in a comprehensible form every detail of my accident,as the whole thing happened in 3 seconds probably and I actually couldn't speak for 15 minutes after .. Literally ,couldn't form a thought or word.. It was an exteremly hard hit ........ And no I don't remember you EVER talking baout your tranny downshifting ... But I may not have been around then, But I will tell you this ,if your car tranny locked up as ours had .. YOU WOULD NEVER FORGET IT ..so NO ... YOU have NOT expierienced it ..

The service guy who test drove the car ...Said he had NEVER seen ANYTHING like it and those of us that you FELL are being DRAMATIC are from from DRAMATIC ... You have NOT expierienced this to DATE~! END OF STORY,on that~
Old 10-30-2003, 06:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

"I may not be able to explain in a comprehensible form every detail of my accident,as the whole thing happened in 3 seconds probably and I actually couldn't speak for 15 minutes after" - That Girl

wish i was there to hear you stop b****ing for once in your life.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:26 PM
Racer

Excuse me ,but if I'm not mistaken .. It is not I, that makes you keep listening to me. There are other other threads here ..

There are thousands of threads you could look at ... But you CHOSE ........To read this ~ That is OBVIOUS.

Am I right? Yes ,I thought so.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:27 PM
Racer

i'm just curious, what brand and model tire's where used on the 2000 tl's?
Old 10-30-2003, 07:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

not when you reply on every single thread regarding any type of transmission question with your ummm... crazy a$$ responses

Quick Reply: Sick and Tired of People Bad Mouthing the TL