Should i just get the TL-S without Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Should i just get the TL-S without Navi?

I cant find a navi TL-S for the life of me!! All they have on the lots are ones without a navi! Damn. A navi would have been cool.. any of you guys regret not getting the navi?
Old 05-11-2001, 03:33 PM
Instructor

I don't think it's a neccessity, but I want it. I think it would be cool to have. I've noticed the same though. Hardly any dealerships have them on the lot.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:10 PM

Just be patient (if possible) and wait until you can locate a TL with Navi. It's worth it!
Old 05-11-2001, 04:17 PM
Racer

way worth it you gotta have your toys!!
Old 05-11-2001, 04:24 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
GET it, or you'll reGRET it!

:-jon

------------------
-------------------------------------------
2002 TL-S NAV Black/Black
w/Spoiler, Body Kit, Bowling Ball Wheel,
Bowling Ball Interior Trim Kit
Comptech Springs
Comptech Exhaust
StreetEffectz Audio Upgrade (Coming Soon)
Pictures at:
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

</A>
Old 05-11-2001, 04:59 PM
Pro

Talking

I just bought an I30t with nav. It is great. The Infiniti is also very hard to find one with nav. I try to search all the dealer within a 50 miles radius. Finally, found one that had it and I buy it $600 under invoice.

Now, what car should I drive more? My TL Type S without nav. or the I30t w/nav. Can't decide. =)

------------------
2002 Acura TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Parchment Leather
Old 05-11-2001, 05:24 PM
Racer

I have one in my car and i love every thing about it. Unless you live in a pretty small town or don't venture to big cities often its not really worth getting. They only cover big cities.
Old 05-11-2001, 05:27 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have Nav in my TLS. I don't regret at all. I don't travel that much, just northern NJ and NYC that's all. No need to have a NAV to tell me where to go.

------------------
2002 Black on Black TL TypeS

Old 05-11-2001, 05:29 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

I don't miss it a bit. Just returned from vacation in Georgia and Ohio and not once did I say "Gee I wish I had Navi"

------------------
'02 Acura TL-S
Satin Silver/Ebony, w/out NAV
Old 05-11-2001, 06:16 PM
Racer

Have the nav and I must say most of the time you won't need it, but it does come in handy.

Plus all your friends will think its cool.

Nuff said.
Old 05-11-2001, 06:19 PM
Racer

Exactly...everybody get's a little trip from playing with the touchscreen and seeing it in action...
Old 05-11-2001, 06:35 PM

Unless the dealer was throwing it in for free, didn't even think twice about getting the navi. Needed the money I saved on it for important things like.........Gas!!!

Won't need the navi if I can't get to where I'm going cause I can't afford to drive there.
Old 05-11-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro

While I LOVE the navi technology, its still a lot of money for not much return if you don't travel all that much.

Personally, I like to get lost - I've found a lot of back roads and hidden "non tourist" attractions that way. :-)
Old 05-11-2001, 10:04 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Gabriele:
Unless the dealer was throwing it in for free, didn't even think twice about getting the navi. Needed the money I saved on it for important things like.........Gas!!!

Won't need the navi if I can't get to where I'm going cause I can't afford to drive there.
You seem to be making a lot of pretty emphatic statements.....with not much base however...

A quick question....do you own a TL-s with the NAV ?

I would place my faith with statements from someone who owns a car with the NAV and then after using it, categorically stating that the NAV is a waste of money....not from someone who did not buy the car with the best available NAV in the market....

I waited for a while to get a Naples Gold TL with the Navigation system....but it has been worth my while and worth every single penny I paid for it....your priorities however, may vary from mine...

Just my 2c

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 05-11-2001, 10:53 PM
Racer

Nav, no nav, who cares?

Personally, I have no need for it. But for those who need it, or those who like it just for the whiz-bang quotient, more power to ya!

Sounds like Crzy's is already a done deal. So, enjoy what you got, and feel good about it.
Old 05-11-2001, 11:08 PM
O.G.

Definitely get the nav! If you can afford a TL-S, then an extra $2K will not kill you.
BTW, I can watch TV and play DVDs on my nav screen.

------------------
Old 05-11-2001, 11:46 PM
Racer

Originally posted by BlackShadow:
BTW, I can watch TV and play DVDs on my nav screen.
Hey, no disrespect at all, because that's one sweet lookin' ride you got, and the A/V install is very clean,, looks absolutely first-rate. But when I want to watch DVDs and hear them in Digital Dolby or DTS, I prefer the comfort of my living room and the 36" Sony, Yamaha, JBL setup while relaxing on my couch with a cold one. When I'm in my car, I want to DRIVE.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by 8ball on May 12, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by 8ball on May 12, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-12-2001, 03:45 AM

It would be definately cool to watch
TV, play DVD movie, play video game,
or even cruise the internet with the
console other than navigation.

I am experiencing two problems with
the navigation system on my TL-S which
I bought two days ago.

1. the database is out of date in some
new places. I wonder if we can get
free upgrade a few years later.
2. it doesn't give the optimal route
sometimes. And a couple times it gives
the wrong instruction (e.g. right turn
instead of left turn).

Old 05-12-2001, 04:20 AM

Only if you go lot's of strange places Crzy. It makes the operation of the climate control more complicated and takes up a lot of space on the dash. Not to mention the extra 2k.
Originally posted by Crzy Acura:
I cant find a navi TL-S for the life of me!! All they have on the lots are ones without a navi! Damn. A navi would have been cool.. any of you guys regret not getting the navi?
Old 05-12-2001, 08:28 AM
Instructor

Don't even consider getting a TL without Nav. That is almost the only reason I bought and ACura. I am an electronics nut and I really did my homework and looked at several Nav systems. Alpine electronics makes the one for Acura and is by far the best and most advanced. It will even read altitude! The 2grand you spend on the Nav. system will be almost easily recouped when you resale the car(if you resell it yourself). It is things like that that really sell a car. I just sold my comaro Z-28 with a $2,500 sound system. The car had 112K miles and that makes a car real hard to sell. The car is in great shape;however it is the fabulous sound system that sold the car. It sounds like a concert hall and the Acura sound system isn't very good..
Old 05-12-2001, 12:17 PM
Pro

The "just an extra $2,000" will cost you *substantially* more than that once you factor in taxes and the compounded financing/lease interest rates. I can get the same thing using my Handspring and a GPS module for around $400 :-)

I think the Nav is great if you travel a lot into unfamiliar areas, but since I know the entire state like the back of my hand, its a very expensive toy that I can do without.

The added resale value is also dubious - its like a pool on a house. Some people will want it, others will see is a negative because the car will cost them more to buy.

The "Type S" is what will add the most resale value to the TL 3-4 years down the line, not a Nav system. Unline you custom sound system, most factory installed items have very little impact on resale value down the line.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Xorg on May 12, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-12-2001, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by hunter001:
You seem to be making a lot of pretty emphatic statements.....with not much base however...

A quick question....do you own a TL-s with the NAV ?

I would place my faith with statements from someone who owns a car with the NAV and then after using it, categorically stating that the NAV is a waste of money....not from someone who did not buy the car with the best available NAV in the market....

I waited for a while to get a Naples Gold TL with the Navigation system....but it has been worth my while and worth every single penny I paid for it....your priorities however, may vary from mine...

Just my 2c

Whatever..........

Old 05-12-2001, 03:59 PM
O.G.

Originally posted by 8ball:
Hey, no disrespect at all, because that's one sweet lookin' ride you got, and the A/V install is very clean,, looks absolutely first-rate. But when I want to watch DVDs and hear them in Digital Dolby or DTS, I prefer the comfort of my living room and the 36" Sony, Yamaha, JBL setup while relaxing on my couch with a cold one. When I'm in my car, I want to DRIVE.

It's cool and thanks for the compliment. Maybe I should have been clearer. The TVs are mostly for my wife and passengers to watch. I only watch it when I am stuck in traffic or parked somewhere. I am a very responsible driver.
Old 05-13-2001, 08:51 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up

It looks like people without the Nav say don't get it, and folks with the Nav say get it.

SOOOOO Glad I got it. It does a lot more than just tell you where you are going.. It has hotel phone#'s resturant phone#'s gives you detours around traffic accidents.

Until someone with the Nav says it is junk, GET IT! Someone without it doesn't know what they are missing.

------------------
Old 05-13-2001, 09:56 AM
Pro

It's not that it isn't cool, functional, or worthwhile, the real issue (for me at least) is whether or not its worth the extra $2,000 out of my pocket to have this toy. $2,000 would buy me a lot of other nice stuff - I paid just over that for my 40" HDTV. Hum... HDTV or Nav system, which would I use more :-)

If this were a $500 option (which I'm sure it will be in 2-3 years), then its a no-brainer.

At $2,000, it very expensive addition some people can live without (I've done fine without it so far... my wireless PDA and cell phone are all I need to find numbers and view maps.)

Originally posted by dagg:
It looks like people without the Nav say don't get it, and folks with the Nav say get it.

Until someone with the Nav says it is junk, GET IT! Someone without it doesn't know what they are missing.
Old 05-13-2001, 01:42 PM

I guess it depends where you're located. I live in Los Angeles and the navi here is god's greatest gift to mankind. Here in LA we spend a massive chunk of our time driving...having a tool that will save time is not a luxury, it is a requirement!
Old 05-13-2001, 02:58 PM
Advanced

By all means, get the TL-S with Navi!

This topic has come up many times before, and I've always had the same answer, "Do not get the TL-S without the Navi." Adding the Navi to the price of the TL-S will only increase the monthly payment by approximately $20. However, the most important points to remember are:
1. Will you regret not getting the Navi after you purchase your TL-S?
2. You cannot add the Acura Navi to your TL-S after the fact.

I strongly recommend that you ignore those who contend that you can purchase one of those off-the-shelf Navi units, instead the Acura Navi. There is NO comparision, as the Acura Navi is one of the best (may take second place to the new Navi in the 2002 Infiniti Q45) in the automobile industry. When one spends $30K plus for a new vehicle, one shouldn't try to save "a buck or two," by not getting the only option available (that is actually something that you will use alot) on the TL-S.

Lastly, I can almost guarantee you, that you will regret not getting this relatively inexpensive option, especially since you have the opportunity to get it, if you just wait a little more until a TL-S with Navi becomes available at your Acura dealership.

------------------
2002 Acura 3.2 TL-S w/Navi
Satin Silver

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by AnthonyG on May 13, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by AnthonyG on May 13, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-13-2001, 05:22 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by TypeSDragon:
I don't have Nav in my TLS. I don't regret at all. I don't travel that much, just northern NJ and NYC that's all. No need to have a NAV to tell me where to go.
Navi does more than tell you where to go. A lot more.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
Road Warrior
Old 05-13-2001, 05:24 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by imax:
I don't miss it a bit. Just returned from vacation in Georgia and Ohio and not once did I say "Gee I wish I had Navi"
Obviously you can't say that if you never had it. But if you did have one first, then you might say it later. So many others have said it "loud and clear."

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
Road Warrior
Old 05-13-2001, 05:27 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Gabriele:

You are exactly right. If you can't afford it, by all means don't purchase it. That goes without saying, for anything.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
Road Warrior
Old 05-13-2001, 05:34 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by palerider:
It would be definately cool to watch
TV, play DVD movie, play video game,
or even cruise the internet with the
console other than navigation.

I am experiencing two problems with
the navigation system on my TL-S which
I bought two days ago.

1. the database is out of date in some
new places. I wonder if we can get
free upgrade a few years later.
2. it doesn't give the optimal route
sometimes. And a couple times it gives
the wrong instruction (e.g. right turn
instead of left turn).

The database is indeed out of date in some place. Just like a map printed last year. Fortunately you will be able to update your database by purchasing a newer CD.

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
Road Warrior
Old 05-13-2001, 05:38 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Xorg:
The "just an extra $2,000" will cost you *substantially* more than that once you factor in taxes and the compounded financing/lease interest rates. I can get the same thing using my Handspring and a GPS module for around $400 :-)

I think the Nav is great if you travel a lot into unfamiliar areas, but since I know the entire state like the back of my hand, its a very expensive toy that I can do without.

The added resale value is also dubious - its like a pool on a house. Some people will want it, others will see is a negative because the car will cost them more to buy.

The "Type S" is what will add the most resale value to the TL 3-4 years down the line, not a Nav system. Unline you custom sound system, most factory installed items have very little impact on resale value down the line.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Xorg on May 12, 2001 @ ]</font>
Very little to the tune of $500 perhaps. I haven't checked but maybe this is what the blue book will read:

2001 TL-S............$19,1000
low mileage..........add $1,000
high mileage.........deduct $5,000
Navigator............add $500

Don't know about the TL-S, but on the CL-S the Navi is about the only option. You can't tell me that the resell book will list Navi and non-Navi prices identically. Navi will be worth something in the next 3-5 years. After that, probably not much more than $200. So $200 is a lot considering I'm reading about a lot of people crying in this thread about a few extra dollars. j/k

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
Road Warrior
Old 05-13-2001, 07:04 PM
Racer

I think Xorg's point was that he expects the Type S to retain more value than the Nav system. For example, suppose two people bought TLs right now at the same price. One is a TL-P w/ Nav, the other is a TL-S w/o Nav (I don't think the prices like this are too far off, if I'm not mistaken). Assuming the two cars are cared for identically, have the same mileage, etc., which one has the better resale value in five years? Maybe there's no difference, maybe there is, nobody knows right now. But in the above scenario, which five year old car would I buy if they were priced the same? The TL-S no doubt!
Old 05-14-2001, 05:21 AM

Talking

NAV SYSTEM - FROM SOMEONE WHO'S BEEN THERE...
I bought a 01 CL-S Red w/o NAV and i kicked myself everyday and everytime i wanted to find the nearest wendy's or a friend's house or whatever, it's gonna cost you about $40 month more, just ****ing get it. Don't live life with regrets.
Since I landed a new job, i traded my 01 CL and am taking delivery of my 02 TL-S w/ NAV+Spoiler, Agean Blue on Monday, May 14th.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by loganboyd on May 14, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-14-2001, 01:06 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I would definitely get the NAV. I was contemplating before I bought the car and I know I will regret it if I didn't and now I LOVE IT!.

------------------
Those who know, don't talk.
Old 05-14-2001, 02:52 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, that was one of my main reasons for getting an ACURA in the first place (more bragging rights). Without a NAV, I would of gone the IS300 route or an A4 just because a smaller car is funner to drive (especially on HW17). I have yet to regret getting the nav, and that is because every single passenger that steps in my TLS complements the interior. It also puts you a notch above all those who don't have it (like my friends who owns an IS300 and the 3-series BMW...which BTW regrets not getting NAV's for their cars). You can always mod a car to make it go faster, but putting in a quality made aftermarket in-dash NAV screen is something else. Oh...and one more thing. I rode in my co-workers rental the other day (Dodge Intrepid from Hertz) and apperantly it's company standard to put NAV units in all their cars, and the one thing I definitely noticed was that the Acura one was by far supirior to their Magellan System. Also I'm an extremely high milage driver, so a little help from an electronic copilot now and then travelling through San Francisco to Santa Cruz can be a luxury. (My car is two weeks old now, and it already has over 1,700 miles on it...which is roughly 120 miles a day)
Old 05-14-2001, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by edgalang:
(My car is two weeks old now, and it already has over 1,700 miles on it...which is roughly 120 miles a day)

I win again,, I had 1,800 miles on it the FIRST 2 DAYS.. then a week later put another 3K on it.. I changed the OIL twice before I made my first payment. Ohh well..

Back to the Navi.. Those who have it love it.. Is there any other reason not to get it..

------------------
Old 05-14-2001, 04:57 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
I'm with Dagg, who lives in a state with very little on the Nav. If you can afford it, GET IT! Those who do not have it cannot judge it. It is more than a moronic voice telling you which way to go. The live map is worth the entire 2K IMHO, and I consider myself very knowledgable about my surroundings.

Everyone who says they can use their Palm Pilots instead is NUTS! You look at that monochrome, small display and you will crash your car! Try and adjust the map position to see where a road goes on your Palm, even at a stop light, and you'll have people honking at you. There is NO COMPARISON, sorry....

AS far as the resale goes, If I were a high-tech buyer, and my choice was between a car with or without the NAV, I go NAV. This will become more pronounced when the car is older or has high mileage. The fact that it has NAV will make the buyer less likely to not buy due to age or high mileage. (again, my opinion).

It all comes down to bucks, but I will bet that over 95% of the owners with NAV will say that it is worth it, and over 50% of the non-NAV drivers will say that it was not. And of those 50%, how much are just saying that because they could not afford it?

:-jon

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by oblio98 on May 14, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-15-2001, 12:31 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oblio98:
[B]
It all comes down to bucks, but I will bet that over 95% of the owners with NAV will say that it is worth it, and over 50% of the non-NAV drivers will say that it was not. And of those 50%, how much are just saying that because they could not afford it?
[B]

How much of the 95% who bought navi are just saying it's worth it because they want to feel good about there purchase?

You are only half right. Some people have enough money but they are wise enough to know what their needs are. That's probably why they have money because they spend it wisely. That's utterly ridiculous to make a buying decision solely on how much money you have. Need is just as important. Why is it so hard to fathom that some people live in small to medium cities and don't travel that often so they don't need the navi???

Here's a typical driving week for me.

M-F back and forth to work.
T,Th go to the gym
M-Sun go to various friend's house's, go eat out.
Saturday go out.

I don't have the navi so please tell me under what situations above I would use it. Convince me I need a navi and I'll get one in my next car because I do have the money!

Old 05-15-2001, 07:01 AM
Pro

Cool

[quote]Originally posted by Steveb:
[b]
Originally posted by oblio98:
[B]

How much of the 95% who bought navi are just saying it's worth it because they want to feel good about there purchase?

You are only half right. Some people have enough money but they are wise enough to know what their needs are. That's probably why they have money because they spend it wisely. That's utterly ridiculous to make a buying decision solely on how much money you have. Need is just as important. Why is it so hard to fathom that some people live in small to medium cities and don't travel that often so they don't need the navi???

Here's a typical driving week for me.

M-F back and forth to work.
T,Th go to the gym
M-Sun go to various friend's house's, go eat out.
Saturday go out.

I don't have the navi so please tell me under what situations above I would use it. Convince me I need a navi and I'll get one in my next car because I do have the money!

Steveb, you really don't need the NAVI....in fact, you really don't even need the TL-s.....a Toyota Corolla would do the trick for you....

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires

Quick Reply: Should i just get the TL-S without Navi?