Should I get rid of the TL-S??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 04:28 AM
bluLEGEND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel that Acura still has not figured out everything that is wrong with the dead trannies. Rebuilt trannies that may still be faulty may be placed in cars and die again.

I believe that the tranny issue is a manufacturer's defect and not a driving habit issue. This forum is not dedicated to people modding up their cars. In fact I think most of the users here are just trying to find out info and discuss issues with other drivers of the same car. Why else would Tim be charging memberships if everyone was modding thier car (the prices here are great!)?

So, another thing to worry about when I get my car back from the shop since I plan on selling the thing. Can't decide whether to play darts with a 2003 TL-S or look for a different car, though my car has not suffered a tranny failure yet. I know plenty of people who have had failed trannies in an Acura (mostly Legends) so I believe it is always possible for mine to die too.

I also feel that many owners here are beginning to feel betrayed by their loyalty to Acura both as a good car maker and as a company that should have good customer service (though many dealers/service centers are crap). After all, the TL-S is an awesome deal for the price. I think it has the best feature-set of any sub-40 or 50k car out there. So who wouldn't feel a little betrayed if their perfect car at the perfect price from a "good maker" lost a tranny and was in the shop for 4-6 weeks?

-Jack
Old 04-07-2002, 10:21 AM
MH1
6th Gear

FYI... (though you may already know this) a coworker of mine reads the Accord boards all the time (he just got one) and tells me that they are having problems with the trannies in the Accord V-6's. Not the 4's apparently.

Unfortunately it does sound like an across the board problem.

Sorry you guys are having problems. It is unreal to have to deal with that type of an issue in a brand new or near brand new car.
Old 04-07-2002, 03:06 PM
Banned

Re: This tranny crap scares me!!

Originally posted by BJsTLS
Holy crap! I bought my '03 TL-S a little over a week ago and I am so paranoid about a tranny failure. I started reading this board a few days before I bought the car, but obviously not enough to read about all the tranny failures!! Now that I have been reading this board, everything that happens in my TL-S that is different from my previous car, I think is tranny related!!! Talk about being paranoid!! I bought my '03 TL-S and my wife's '02 Infiniti G20 on the same day and my wife is already sick about hearing about my "possible transmission problems". I owned a '99 Grand Prix GT before this car. While that car sounded like a tank going over the smallest bump in the road, I never had any transmission issues, and I drove that car like it was a race car!! I drive my TL-S like an old lady to break it in (only 400 miles now). I was not aware that 2003 TL-Ss were having tranny problems also......Now I am Sh!tting my pants!!!
I am sorry to here about you problems.

But i must say that you will be sh!tting in you pants for a while because the tls's tranny will go at any given time. If you look at the tranny threads people had reported tranny failures after a few weeks and some people up to 1 year later.

So the tranny can go at any given time, just stay off the highways. you don't wanna get stuck there.
Old 04-07-2002, 04:39 PM
Intermediate

It's back!

Got my TL-S back Saturday after 2 1/2 weeks without. I promptly put 100 mi on it and thought 2 things:

1. How much I enjoy this car. It's so much better than the '99 CL the dealer loaned and more fun than many cars I've owned.

2. Although it seemed smooth, every little bump and jolt felt in the gas peddle made me paranoid about another failure. Can I truly enjoy the car from here on with concern that it could fail again at the wrong time -- like pulling into a quick passing lane or entering the highway?

So now I wonder, not should I get rid of the TL-S, but when -- now, in six months or another tranny failure, or near the end of the warranty.

Sure never expected to work through such an issue with an Acura.
Old 04-07-2002, 05:06 PM
Advanced

I have a 02typeS that has almost 13k on it and no tranny issues as of yet "knock on wood"

The way i look at it is if you love the TL-S then sooner or later you are gonna get a good tranny or acura will figure this problem out and then people will get a TL-S recall for replacement trannies
that have benn put thru the test.

You cant possibly believe acura is going to let there name get branded over a tranny issue do ya?

Takes time be patient if no patience then get rid of the car, but i know most of you like your TL-S's so i think you will deal with it for a bit anyways.

The service advisor at my acura dealer said they are aware of the tranny problem and news letters have been sent to them stating the tranny issue on 02-03 TYPE-S's is being addressed for a complete fix.

He also stated that acura told him it is on the top of their list for a tranny fix, they dont want this to get to the media he said which i think if anyone contacted 20/20,dateline nbc or a show like that and stated the overwhelming issue on the tranny's this would speed things up but like he said no one has went that direction.

If you pissed then get everyone together and lets go TV!
Who knows the Acura-Tl board will get some good advertising out of it too
Old 04-08-2002, 11:44 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Questor...I understand how you feel...I got my TL-S back on Friday after 23 days with a re-manufacured tranny. Felt good to be driving it again, but, like you, every little bump in the road made me wonder if it was the road, the tranny, or just me being paranoid. To your point, is this what I paid for? And Teaxas boy says 'stay off the highway'...well, I live in Atlanta...the only way to get around is on the highway, and at high speeds, with up to 16 lanes of traffic. Isn't that what a car is for anyway...for driving I mean?

So, I am waiting to hear from the Acura rep in the area this week. I want some kind of compensation for the confidence I have lost in the vehicle. Is Acura interested in having me as a customer, and keeping me as a customer? I feel it is up to them now. I will see what they offer (if anything), and that will be my guide as to whether or not I remain loyal to Acura or not.
Old 04-09-2002, 12:20 AM
Intermediate

garylee55 --
You've said it as I've thought it. The Acura rep was "on vacation" during the time my car was in the shop. Like you, I do about 80mi r/t daily all highway and when it's not chunked up it allows one to move quite nicely. I sure don't need the tranny to fail during a highway maneuver. There seem to be many different stories from various posts about what info dealers have or don't have.

The service guy told me he'd have the rep call me this week. I too want to know if Acura will consider some compensation.
The quandry: keep it with innocence lost, settle for another in their line, or part ways with Acura. I will not keep it past warranty but am torn about what alternatives to consider. With some tranny failures reported in 2003 TL-S's is that another frying pan? Could I make due with a TL-P? Nah! An RL? What's happening to me? The MDX could make sense but it's no TL-S. I came out of an I30t and a J30. The "I" wasn't inspiring and there's no more J. Might be an easier decision if the 350Z wasn't a 2-seater.

Nissan estimates 280-bhp+/260 lb.-ft. from the DOHC 3.5L V-6. 17-inch wheels are standard, with optional 18-inch wheels on some models. Transmission choices include a 6-speed manual or 5-speed automatic. A convertible model is also planned. Pricing ranges from $26,269-$34,079. The 350Z goes on sale August 2002. from http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/200...dl3082ovw.html

While I've strongly felt the TL-S offers a lot for the price, it's worthlesss if it isn't as absolutely reliable as I used to think an Acura was. These days, safety during performance is more important to me than sheer fun.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Questor,

I'm with you. There's just nothing else out there that satisfies so many needs like the Type S does. Perfect size (for me anyway), loads of features, and gobs of performance all for a great price. It's unfortunate mine has turned into such an unreliable car.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:15 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on my 3rd tranny too.

You do get 25k miles/2 year warranty on tranny itself, when is replaced. This was said from the Service Director at the dealer. At least that is what they gave me.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Bitium
I'm on my 3rd tranny too.

You do get 25k miles/2 year warranty on tranny itself, when is replaced. This was said from the Service Director at the dealer. At least that is what they gave me.
Man, I don't know wtf to believe. My service guy told me 4/50000 from when it was replaced (got a similar story for warranty work on my 98 Accord V6 -- 3/36000). Another person here said he was told by Acura there is no warranty on anything after the car hits 4/50000, period. Another said 1/12000. Now you're saying 2/25000. It sounds like nobody at any of the dealerships know wtf they're talking about.

No matter what it is, I think if I still have the car when it's about to hit 50000, I'll be getting the warranty extended to 100000 because I'm sure I'll use it. If not, it will make the car easier to sell.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:38 PM
Advanced

Exclamation RE: Should I get rid of my Type S

Hey guys. I am a big Honda finatic and have had two other Accords which have been rock solid and great cars. Am I readign correctly, Transmission dying? I just bought my Acura at the end of February a 2002 Acura TL Type S. It was one of the last 02 made with a manufacture date of 1/02. Should I be worried about my Transmission dying. The reason I bought the acura over a BMW 330i which I could of got in stick, is to avoid expensive repair and maintenance costs.

I hope my transmission will not die like you guys because I do drive pretty hard due to the fact that I have sweet canyon red metallic 1997 BMW 540i. You can't avoid pushing the trottle hard. I love that car but it has its share of maintenance woes. Who ever heard of Rear window regulators going at 60,000 miles and a week apart from each other?

Yea The Type S transmission better not die or I will beet up Continental Acura in Lisle Illinois. Then I will sell the TL Type S and trade it in for a 330i stick.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:38 PM
Intermediate

Understanding Acura warranty???? My best shot.

Not to repeat much from my earlier post, when I called Acura customer care we specifically covered how the warranty works.

From Acura, it defers to the original warranty -- so 50k miles or 4 years whichever is first. No matter when a major repair is made, you get to 50k from Acura (or as per extended warranty).

When service work is done, it is guaranteed for 12k miles or 12 months whichever is first according to official policy. If a dealer wants to be so customer friendly as to offer more, they can. Thus, the 25k miles / 2years from one dealer IMHO.

HOWEVER -- for my current failed tranny, I was told they documented my call and if I suffer another tranny failure after 50k miles, to notify them and they would "help" me with the replacement. They cited some passage in the manual which states that under special circumstances some repairs may be covered beyond the normal warranty.
Old 04-11-2002, 07:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: RE: Should I get rid of my Type S

Originally posted by Datta540i
Hey guys. I am a big Honda finatic and have had two other Accords which have been rock solid and great cars. Am I readign correctly, Transmission dying? I just bought my Acura at the end of February a 2002 Acura TL Type S. It was one of the last 02 made with a manufacture date of 1/02. Should I be worried about my Transmission dying. The reason I bought the acura over a BMW 330i which I could of got in stick, is to avoid expensive repair and maintenance costs.

I hope my transmission will not die like you guys because I do drive pretty hard due to the fact that I have sweet canyon red metallic 1997 BMW 540i. You can't avoid pushing the trottle hard. I love that car but it has its share of maintenance woes. Who ever heard of Rear window regulators going at 60,000 miles and a week apart from each other?

Yea The Type S transmission better not die or I will beet up Continental Acura in Lisle Illinois. Then I will sell the TL Type S and trade it in for a 330i stick.
I wouldn't worry about it. Just drive your car how you like and enjoy it. It doesn't seem there's any rhyme or reason to why the trannies fail. No patterns in build date, driving style, modifications, etc, etc.

Just drive and enjoy.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:51 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe you guys should drive your cars hard!

Maybe you guys should drive your cars hard and then the trannies wouldn't fail....just kidding.

All joking aside, I feel for you guys, especially the ones who have lost their sense of security in their TLS. I bought my TLS despite all the tranny issues I had read about. I worry about it but like redline said, "There's just nothing else out there that satisfies so many needs like the Type S does. Perfect size (for me anyway), loads of features, and gobs of performance all for a great price. "

I love this car and drive it hard. I guess if my tranny goes I will have to deal with it. If thats the case then in a few years I'll just have to go out and buy either an RS6, GS430, or 540i (when I have the money of course). I want a car that will perform and is luxurious. The TLS is just that to a lesser degree than the cars aforementioned. It has a little of both. But what good is it if the tranny is mierda (pu-pu in spanish). Hopefully I don't get bitten by the tranny bug but I will enjoy my car as long as I can.

Good luck to everyone!
Old 04-11-2002, 11:46 AM
Pro

Re: Maybe you guys should drive your cars hard!

Originally posted by ferizzo
Maybe you guys should drive your cars hard and then the trannies wouldn't fail....just kidding.

All joking aside, I feel for you guys, especially the ones who have lost their sense of security in their TLS. I bought my TLS despite all the tranny issues I had read about. I worry about it but like redline said, "There's just nothing else out there that satisfies so many needs like the Type S does. Perfect size (for me anyway), loads of features, and gobs of performance all for a great price. "

I love this car and drive it hard. I guess if my tranny goes I will have to deal with it. If thats the case then in a few years I'll just have to go out and buy either an RS6, GS430, or 540i (when I have the money of course). I want a car that will perform and is luxurious. The TLS is just that to a lesser degree than the cars aforementioned. It has a little of both. But what good is it if the tranny is mierda (pu-pu in spanish). Hopefully I don't get bitten by the tranny bug but I will enjoy my car as long as I can.

Good luck to everyone!
I agree. But I can't help but to worry about it sometimes though. Just today, when I was driving on the expressway, I wanted to pass an 18 wheeler so I pull it over to sportshift. Everything is fine. To make a long story short, after I exited, I forgot it was still in SS. Came to a stop by the light and proceeded after it turned green. After about 10 seconds, I didn't feel the tranny shift from 2nd to 3rd. I started to worry, but found out it was still in SS mode and would not shift to 3rd. Breath out a side of relief. These tranny problem threads worried me. But hey, if it happens, it happens. Even if I had found out about all these tranny problem before I purchased it, I probably would've still went ahead with it just because there's really nothing out there right now that can offer the kind of "Bang-for-the-Bucks" like the TL-S. Good luck to you all.

axleback
Old 04-11-2002, 12:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Re: Maybe you guys should drive your cars hard!

Originally posted by ferizzo

Good luck to everyone!
Actually, since my last tranny was replaced, I have probably been driving my car harder than before and using SS more often. I kinda hoping the tranny does go out again so I can Lemon Law the thing and be done with it. Some have suggested that using the SS more often may be good for the tranny (don't remember why but I do remember Road Rage said that may be the case). The longer I've owned the car the more I've used SS. My first tranny went at 8500 miles, the second at about 26000 (started showing trouble at about 22000) and I now have 38500 and it's been fine so far. So maybe it's true the harder you drive it, within reason, the longer it will last.

People have said "maybe you're using the SS too much and that has caused your tranny to fail". It's there and it should be able to be used. That's like saying "you'd better not listen to CDs to often in the TLS because you may break the stereo". Better not open your sunroof, you may not be able to shut it! Don't turn on the seat warmer, you may start a fire! Sh!t, better yet, just don't drive the car at all then you'll never have any problems!
Old 04-11-2002, 12:07 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
honest to god truth, I actually had a nightmare about the tranny issue (I know that some of you have lived it or are living it). I was on the Highway when I put it in SS and tried downshifting when the RPMS just shot up and nothing!

When I woke up I had to think about whether it had happened or not, was I dreaming or remembering? I've read the descriptions enough and actually had that very experience with my Galant that I wasn't sure. That morning I drove my TLS to work with the whole thing in the back of my mind, too nervous to gun it.
Old 04-11-2002, 04:37 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
The worst part about this tranny problem is that I REALLY REALLY love this car!!!

After being without it for 6 weeks while the tranny was on "National Back Order", after being in the Enterprise Rental Pool of SubStandard Vehicles, the feeling of pulling out of the dealership with my repaired TL-S was undescribable.

I kept thinking to myself, "What a nice car!!"

That's what makes this damn tranny thing so aggrevating!!!

:-jon
Old 04-12-2002, 12:41 PM
Pro

Jon...those were my exact same thoughts and feelings when I went and picked mine up...and I always got so many compliments on the car...I wish Acura would get their act together. Now is thier chance to step up to the plate, admit they have an issue, and make a statement about how they will resolve it. It's because of their NOT doing this that I backed away from them. While my dealer did right by me, the Acura rep was a smart@ss...so...no more TL-S for me!
Old 04-12-2002, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by garylee55
Jon...those were my exact same thoughts and feelings when I went and picked mine up...and I always got so many compliments on the car...I wish Acura would get their act together. Now is thier chance to step up to the plate, admit they have an issue, and make a statement about how they will resolve it. It's because of their NOT doing this that I backed away from them. While my dealer did right by me, the Acura rep was a smart@ss...so...no more TL-S for me!
What happened? Bring me up to date. What did they have to say about your 2nd tranny going?
Old 04-12-2002, 02:19 PM
Pro

They said they couldn't find any error codes that indicated it was another failure, but thought in it would be in both of our best interests if they would buy me out of the car...and they gave me a GREAT offer...which I promptly plopped down on a G35.