Shopped for both, but chose the TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 08:30 AM

Post Shopped for both, but chose the TL

My quandry ended yesterday when I visited 2 dealers here in N.J. The TL-S is beautiful, and it's also about $3,000 more than the base TL. To me, that $3,000 wasn't worth it. I absolutely love the way the TL base model drives, I prefer the feel of its seats over the perforated leather, and it pretty much offers everything the Type-S does, save the higher horsies, VSA (although base does have TCS), perforatd leather, and metallic gauges. I drove both, I chose one with ease, and that was the base model.

Lease terms for the 02 were also very attractive, with minimal haggling. $400 month, 42 months (staying within 4 yr/50K warranty), 15K miles a year, $2000 down total. Very pleased with this deal (from Montclair Acura), and the sales staff was very professional. My research (which includes detailed reading of Consumer Reports' car leasing articles) indicates that my lease deal is above average for a car of this class. The best deal, of course, is to lease at dealer invoice. That's unrealistic, and unfair to the dealer because it is a business (don't think I'd like to work for free). The worst deal is MSRP, which I believe on the 02 is in the mid-$29,000 range. I'm paying neither, but am closer to invoice than to MSRP (from what I can tell).

It seems that the TL-S is getting somewhat of a diluted reaction on this list. That may very well be due to the fact that the base model TL is such a super car, at least that's what I concluded.

Chris
Old 03-18-2001, 09:29 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by hagerc1:
My quandry ended yesterday when I visited 2 dealers here in N.J. The TL-S is beautiful, and it's also about $3,000 more than the base TL. To me, that $3,000 wasn't worth it. I absolutely love the way the TL base model drives, I prefer the feel of its seats over the perforated leather, and it pretty much offers everything the Type-S does, save the higher horsies, VSA (although base does have TCS), perforatd leather, and metallic gauges. I drove both, I chose one with ease, and that was the base model.

Lease terms for the 02 were also very attractive, with minimal haggling. $400 month, 42 months (staying within 4 yr/50K warranty), 15K miles a year, $2000 down total. Very pleased with this deal (from Montclair Acura), and the sales staff was very professional. My research (which includes detailed reading of Consumer Reports' car leasing articles) indicates that my lease deal is above average for a car of this class. The best deal, of course, is to lease at dealer invoice. That's unrealistic, and unfair to the dealer because it is a business (don't think I'd like to work for free). The worst deal is MSRP, which I believe on the 02 is in the mid-$29,000 range. I'm paying neither, but am closer to invoice than to MSRP (from what I can tell).

It seems that the TL-S is getting somewhat of a diluted reaction on this list. That may very well be due to the fact that the base model TL is such a super car, at least that's what I concluded.

Chris
Congrats! I guess my question for you is why did you not go for a 2001 TL instead? The differences between the 2002 (Non Type-S) and the 2001's are very small. Couldn't you get a killer deal instead of opting for the new one? Just wondering.

------------------
95 Integra GS-R Stock

Ordered: 2002 TL-S Aegean blue
Old 03-18-2001, 12:24 PM

Acuraboy -- I tried to do exactly what you're talking about, except I was a dime short and a day late. Actually, just a day late. My heart's set on silver/black, and the dealers here in N.J. had gold, white, and red, but no silver 01s. So, with patience being a virtue, of sorts, I waited for 02. Plus, there are some enhancements to the 02 that are important to me, namely, 6 CD changer and memory seats. Looking forward to picking up this baby tomorrow night and taking her for a little "getting to know you" ride on the local interstate.

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris
Old 03-19-2001, 03:36 AM

hey there Chris. I visited Montclair Acura last thursday to look at the CL. But now I am starting to like the TL, and I was rather unimpressed with the audio system in the CL. I haven't actually listened to the system in the TL yet, but I know it has the added subwoofer in the back which may make it sound a bit better. How does the sound system perform?

I talked with a salesman who had bad english, Stanly was his name I believe. Can you tell me who you dealt with in order to get this lease? I think it is quite good.
Also does the $400/month include the NJ tax?
thanks for your help
if you can copy a reply to my e-mail at natter@optonline.net that would be great.
Brian

Chris

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by brn5336 on March 19, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-19-2001, 08:09 AM
Daddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acuraboy -- I tried to do exactly what you're talking about, except I was a dime short and a day late. Actually, just a day late. My heart's set on silver/black, and the dealers here in N.J. had gold, white, and red, but no silver 01s. So, with patience being a virtue, of sorts, I waited for 02. Plus, there are some enhancements to the 02 that are important to me, namely, 6 CD changer and memory seats. Looking forward to picking up this baby tomorrow night and taking her for a little "getting to know you" ride on the local interstate.

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris
Take it easy the first 1k miles. You need to "break her in".

------------------
'00 Firepepper Red TL
Old 03-19-2001, 08:28 AM

Brn5336 (or Brian), the salesman I dealt with at Montclair Acura is named John McLean. He's the person I first met when introducing myself to the TL, he took me on a nice long ride to really get a feel for the car (he said very little, appropriately letting the car do the talking), and I appreciated that attention.

About the stereo, I'm a bit of an audiophile, but not a fanatic (I have another child due in late May, so my spending is not focused so much on upgrading a car). The TL system sounds pretty good based on me semi-cranking it with a salesman in with me. I'll learn more about it tonight when I pick the car up. Will post again about it. Good luck shopping.

Chris
Old 03-19-2001, 06:07 PM
tea elle

Brn5336 (or Brian), the salesman I dealt with at Montclair Acura is named John McLean. He's the person I first met when introducing myself to the TL, he took me on a nice long ride to really get a feel for the car (he said very little, appropriately letting the car do the talking), and I appreciated that attention.

About the stereo, I'm a bit of an audiophile, but not a fanatic (I have another child due in late May, so my spending is not focused so much on upgrading a car). The TL system sounds pretty good based on me semi-cranking it with a salesman in with me. I'll learn more about it tonight when I pick the car up. Will post again about it. Good luck shopping.

Chris
Chris, I'm a bit of an audiophile too. My home system is all top-end NAD with ADS speakers. I've upgraded practically every car stereo I've owned, and after six months with my 01TL I'm still pretty pleased with the audio. I hap PPI amp, MBQuart and Boston speakers in my 94 Legend, but all that stuff is still sitting in boxes because I don't think I'm going to change this time...for what its worth.

------------------
2001 TL Silver w/ Black Leather
CL-S Wheels w/Pilots
Alpine CD Changer
Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-19-2001, 10:20 PM

Tea elle -- we have similar tastes, I think. My `02 is Silver/Ebony, picked it up tonight, and drove home in awe. The wife was right behind me with Odyssey (we're a Honda family), so I couldn't go for a spin tonight. I will tomorrow. About the stereo, I'm happy with it, very. The CD changer is cool, and the sound is more than adequate. I've certainly heard better, and I've had/heard a helluva lot worse. Time for a little perspective on the stereo issue, IMO.

BTW, my home stereo's also killer, as your seems to be as well.

Peace,
Chris
Old 03-19-2001, 11:51 PM

thanks for the info. I test drove the 2001 TL today at Springfield Acura on Rt. 22. and the sound system was great in my opinion. I have an aftermarket pioneer unit and (4)6x8 pioneer 3-ways in my car now and they sound a bit warmer in the mid range and with vocals, but the TL had more low end thump due to the woofer. Much better than the CL sound system in any case.

I also want to get a Silver with black interior. Guess what, they had one silver with black 2001 TL with navigation at Springfield Acura, and I was going to put a deposit down on it, but after the salesman went to go check it out, he found out it was already sold! DAMN. I may have to get the 2002 model if I am going to want silver since the 2001s are getting hard to find around here.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by brn5336 on March 20, 2001 @ ]</font>