Shock sensor (light impact) with stock alarm

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 10:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Shock sensor (light impact) with stock alarm

Most here installed the dual stage shock sensor either a) left out the low impact or b) wired both together. Upon impact, the alarm is trigger. However, on LIGHT impact, nothing will happen (otherwise, the system will be so sensitive it would go off at anything).

Well, the light impact sensor can be wired to the horn signal wire (goes to the horn relay). So when you lightly tap on your car, light impact sensor is triggered, sending a signal to the horn, and results in a short beep (or blast of the horn as if you tap on the horn yourself). The entire alarm is not triggered. With a hard impact, same occurrence as above will happen. However, 2nd stage sensor will also triggered and sending the signal to the stock alarm (yellow/silver dotted wire) causing the alarm to trip. Power for the sensor (red wire) can be wired to the trunk's signal wire (orange) so that when you open the trunk, shock sensor will be disabled so closing the trunk or moving stuffs from the trunk will not trip the alarm. Trunk are hard to open...if they can bust the trunk, i don't think any alarm system will stop them anyways.

I have not done this 2nd impact sensor. I think it is entirely possible...very sure. I don't have the Helm's manual to locate which wire is the horn signal wire. Will someone help me find out which wire that is??? Horn is on the steering column so from the switch, you can trace down to dash, etc...should be simple with a Helm's manual.
Old 04-13-2002, 11:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Will someone with a TL helm manual help me out here?
Old 04-15-2002, 05:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Sounds like a great idea...also, you could wire an aftermarket alarm horn instead of using the car's horn, but I like the car horn idea better. Someone with a Helm's manual please help out!
Old 04-15-2002, 08:35 AM
Instructor

i considered doing this but there is a major problem...every time the light impact sensor goes off it will "beep" the horn, but it will also do this when you don't want it to (while driving).

wiring the shock sensor to the door/trunk/hood triggers is different because the shock sensor sends the (-) trigger to the stock alarm when it's triggered, ie tricking the security system into thinking that the door/trunk/hood is open (depending on which circuit you have it spliced to). when the key is inserted, the security system is deactivated, therefore the shock sensor can be triggered 'til kingdom come but the security system won't alarm.

if the shock sensor is wired to the horn, there's no security system between it and the horn to be deactivated, so it will never turn off and beep the horn everytime it triggers. a solutino to this would be to install a relay to disconnect the power to the shock sensor when the car is started OR wire the power to the shock sensor thorugh the immobilizer (as the immobilizer only turns on when the car is off). but then you'd still have the problem getting into and out of the car with the horn beeping 'cuz of the shock of you opening the door, getting in, etc. etc. i have the helm but didn't explore this thoroughly 'cuz it wasn't a big deal to me. i will look and see if the immobilizer is powered OFF or just deactivated. if it's just deactivated, it won't work 'cuz there would still be power going to it.
Old 04-15-2002, 10:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

I've never thought of that. I guess i'll live without that low impact sensor for now.

I ordered the dual stage sensor from autotoys...costs $10.95....but got ripped off with shipping... $9.95 for shipping..damn..
Old 04-15-2002, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

dean078 has a good point, but an even better idea. How about wiring the light impact sensor to the horn via a relay that is activated when the stock alarm is armed? I really wish I had a Helm's manual to look at a schematic...
Old 04-15-2002, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by johnnyb_s
dean078 has a good point, but an even better idea. How about wiring the light impact sensor to the horn via a relay that is activated when the stock alarm is armed? I really wish I had a Helm's manual to look at a schematic...
i think the problem with that is the alarm is part of the 'multiplex' thingy, so it's not a separate module or unit. and the multiplex thing controls a lot of things, some of them being on even when the key is out of the ignition (seat controls, trunk open relay, etc.) so there's no separate 'power' supply for the alarm part of it and therefor it's never off. i'm sure there's a way to do this with relays, i just don't feel liek devoting the brainpower to it.
Old 04-15-2002, 02:02 PM
Burning Brakes

How about this shock sensor...

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront

Go under ALARMS & SENSORS, REMOTE STARTS, KEYLESS ENTRY & ACCESSORIES

Then under KEYLESS ENTRY ALARM [FACTORY OR AFTERMARKET] (OEM ADD ON ALARM)

Then click on SHOCK SENSOR TO FACTORY ALARM SYSTEM (ADD TO FACTORY ALARMS)

I would post the link directly, but that is not the way this site is set-up...
Old 04-15-2002, 03:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by johnnyb_s
How about this shock sensor...

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront

Go under ALARMS & SENSORS, REMOTE STARTS, KEYLESS ENTRY & ACCESSORIES

Then under KEYLESS ENTRY ALARM [FACTORY OR AFTERMARKET] (OEM ADD ON ALARM)

Then click on SHOCK SENSOR TO FACTORY ALARM SYSTEM (ADD TO FACTORY ALARMS)

I would post the link directly, but that is not the way this site is set-up...
It's the same sh*t as the dual stage with some plugs on the wires for factory alarms (which we don't need)..so if you're buying it, you wasted $15 needlessly.
Old 04-15-2002, 04:13 PM
Burning Brakes

That's what I was wondering about...thanks randomwalk101.