Self oil change (Please help!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 12:31 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Self oil change (Please help!)

Guys,

I wanna do oil change myself to save some money and most important to get high quality oil and work. Since I never done it before, here are few questions need you guys help.

1. Do I need any tool to lift up the car?
2. What kind of tools do I need to remove the filter and any other additional parts?
3. Someone posted earlier regarding some kind of washer need to purchase from Acura; what is that?
4. What should I do with used engine oil? (I'm sure can't just dump it like that!)
5. What filters are good, where can I purchase them and how much?

I know I ask too much but thanks so much for the help. :o
Old 03-26-2002, 01:43 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Self oil change (Please help!)

Originally posted by kchao2000
Guys,

I wanna do oil change myself to save some money and most important to get high quality oil and work. Since I never done it before, here are few questions need you guys help.

1. Do I need any tool to lift up the car?
2. What kind of tools do I need to remove the filter and any other additional parts?
3. Someone posted earlier regarding some kind of washer need to purchase from Acura; what is that?
4. What should I do with used engine oil? (I'm sure can't just dump it like that!)
5. What filters are good, where can I purchase them and how much?

I know I ask too much but thanks so much for the help. :o
1. Just lift the car up with a heavy duty jack. DO NOT use the jack that came with the car, it is a POS.
2. You will need a 17mm (I believe) wrench to remove the oil pan nut and a tool that is shaped like a number "9" to remove the oil filter. Once you loosen the oil filter, you can turn it with your hands and take it off.
3. I don't know what washer those other people are talking about.
4. Used engine oil should be put in a bottle, glass, gallon, or any container then taken to your local recycling center to recycle it.
5. Personally, I used Purolater oil filter L14459. I believe they are like 2-3 bucks each. I got them at Pep Boys/R&S Strauss.

A. Lift car up, turn off engine, pop hood open, remove oil cap
B. Loosen and remove oil pan nut to let oil drain out to an oil pan. Screw nut back on.
C. Remove the old oil filter. Let remaining oil drain out.
D. Get new oil filter, dip one finger in the new oil and wipe it on the ring around the new oil filter (use for lubricant).
E. Put new oil filter in and turn it tight with your hands. Then use that number "9" tool to tighten it further.
F. Now pour 5 quarts of oil into the engine. I use Castrol GTX 5W-30. Put cap back on.
G. Start engine and let it run for a few minutes. Check oil level and fill up if necessary (with 5 quarts I don't think you need to).

If you don't know where the oil drain nut is, check your manual.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:18 AM
Pro

Re: Re: Self oil change (Please help!)

Just a couple of things:

1. The "washers" are the crush washers that are between the drain plug and the oil pan. These should be replaced at every oil change. You can buy them by the bag, they are cheap do not skimp on these.

2. You should not use the oil filter wrench to re tighten the new filter. It should be hand tightened only.

3. The new oil on the rubber gasket of the new filter is not used as a lubricant but used to help form a seal.

4. I don't think that our cars require a full 5 quarts of oil with an oil/filter change, but I could be wrong.

Bryan

Originally posted by BlackShadow

1. Just lift the car up with a heavy duty jack. DO NOT use the jack that came with the car, it is a POS.
2. You will need a 17mm (I believe) wrench to remove the oil pan nut and a tool that is shaped like a number "9" to remove the oil filter. Once you loosen the oil filter, you can turn it with your hands and take it off.
3. I don't know what washer those other people are talking about.
4. Used engine oil should be put in a bottle, glass, gallon, or any container then taken to your local recycling center to recycle it.
5. Personally, I used Purolater oil filter L14459. I believe they are like 2-3 bucks each. I got them at Pep Boys/R&S Strauss.

A. Lift car up, turn off engine, pop hood open, remove oil cap
B. Loosen and remove oil pan nut to let oil drain out to an oil pan. Screw nut back on.
C. Remove the old oil filter. Let remaining oil drain out.
D. Get new oil filter, dip one finger in the new oil and wipe it on the ring around the new oil filter (use for lubricant).
E. Put new oil filter in and turn it tight with your hands. Then use that number "9" tool to tighten it further.
F. Now pour 5 quarts of oil into the engine. I use Castrol GTX 5W-30. Put cap back on.
G. Start engine and let it run for a few minutes. Check oil level and fill up if necessary (with 5 quarts I don't think you need to).

If you don't know where the oil drain nut is, check your manual.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:19 AM
Banned

BlackShadow:
"D. Get new oil filter, dip one finger in the new oil and wipe it on the ring around the new oil filter (use for lubricant). "

Eww dirty sanchez dirty sanchez!!!

Austin519
Old 03-26-2002, 04:39 AM
Pro

Hey Austin,

Why the hell aren't you asleep? It's about 3:30am here what about you?

Bryan

Originally posted by Austin519
BlackShadow:
"D. Get new oil filter, dip one finger in the new oil and wipe it on the ring around the new oil filter (use for lubricant). "

Eww dirty sanchez dirty sanchez!!!

Austin519
Old 03-26-2002, 05:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Do what autophile1 says, exactly.

A few more points...

if you have jack stands, use them...a jack was designed to do just that, lift, not support. If you are going to be under the car, you want to make sure that there is NO chance of it falling on you, could be fatal and thus well worth the investment in a set of jack stands.

Since it appears that you haven't done this before, just note that the oil can be real hot, so be careful not to get burned, especially if you were just running the car. You want the engine to be somewhat warm so that you can get all the old oil out.

Also, our cars require just a tad under 5 quarts, so pour in 4 and 1/2 quarts, run the engine for about a minute to circulate the oil through the filter, and then shut off. Let sit for a minute or two for the oil to settle back in the pan and check level. Slowly add oil and keep checking level until full. Over-filling is just as bad as not having enough oil.

You can take your used oil to your local auto-parts store...most of them will take your old oil for free.

Also, that "9" looking tool is called an oil filter wrench...just ask the auto parts guy if you can't find it and they will hook you up. Good luck
Old 03-26-2002, 09:48 AM
Racer

Smile Thanks for your help!!

Guys,

Thanks so much!! I'll get things ready and when weather getting better I'll do it.

Thanks again!!
Old 03-26-2002, 10:03 PM
Banned

autophile1:
"Hey Austin,

Why the hell aren't you asleep? It's about 3:30am here what about you?

Bryan "

Ha yeah...gotta love the life on a comp. engr. major oh yeah! 3:30 isn't that bad...I usually stay up till 4:30 am most nights...

Austin519
Old 03-26-2002, 10:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Since this will be the first time you are jacking up your car and crawling underneath the car, I can't stress enough how important it is to make sure the car is properly set up on jackstands.

For a novice D.I.Y. who is worried about jacking up and setting it on jackstands, it may be safer and easier to get yourself a good set of ramps...or just make one yourself out of 2X10's(I explain how I made a set for quick oil changes in the post below). Just don't drive past and off the ramp if you use a set.

An old post on jacking up your car.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...ght=oil+change
Old 03-26-2002, 11:04 PM
Instructor

You don't really need to jack up your TL to remove the oil drain plug and the oil filter. I have changed the oil and filter twice since I purchased the TL. Since the oil filter is near the right front wheel, I turned my front wheels to the right to allow easy access to the oil filter. I changed the oil on level surface inside my garage.
Old 03-27-2002, 03:10 AM
Advanced

If you plan on becoming more mechanically inclined, I suggest purchasing an Acura service manual for your model car. It will be a great investment. Oh, and some SNAP ON tools, so sexy... jk Craftsman will do just fine.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:17 AM
Racer

Oh, and don't forget that safety comes first. Not only making sure that the car is firmly situated on ramps or stands (NOT the jack), but also making sure that you use safety glasses whenever working under a car (you don't want crap falling into your eyes).
Old 03-27-2002, 07:38 AM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Our Oil capacity according to the manual is 4.6 quarts. It may not include the additional amount in the oil filter. I usually pour 4 1/2 bottles in and check. Sometimes I need a tad more.
Old 03-27-2002, 06:58 PM
Racer

I had been using jack stands for a long time, but just recently switched to ramps. It provides a lot more room to move around while under the car. Just make sure you drive slowly on to the ramps. I have a family member that stepped on the gas too hard and went over the ramps.
Old 03-28-2002, 06:06 AM
Pro

YIKES!

Yikes! What kind of damage did it do to the car?

I also prefer to use ramps. Just remember to put the parking brake on and chock the real wheels before you crawl under there as well. I do my changes in the garage and put a long 2x4 in front of the ramps butted up against the garage wall. This prevents the ramps from scooting forward as you drive upon them. This used to be a constant problem with rear wheel drive cars. With front wheel drive, the traction of the wheels going up the ramp keeps it from trying to scoot forward on you, but I still use the 2x4 place holders just in case. I always hang my head out the window and watch carefully as I climb the ramp and have one foot on the gas and one foot on the brake. So far I've never come close to jumping over one, but I could see how it could happen..:wow: