Screwed up my indiglo gauges BIGTIME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 12:59 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Screwed up my indiglo gauges BIGTIME!!!

Ya know.. these things have been more of a hassle... but I thought it was worth it... until now.

First off, I had a PAIN IN THE @$$ getting these things installed. After much fine tuning I finally got them to the point where they worked! The tach was off... the speedo was 10 MPH fast... and the fuel worked just fine. Temp was off a bit as well.

BUT NOW THIS SUCKS!

Now when I turn my lights on, the indiglo flickers like crazy. It will no longer go to the "bright mode." When I switch to bright it goes black! And it will NOT switch to only the numbers being lit! The only the gauges will do, is either 1) soft blue background, 2) All DARK, or 3) flicker like crazy!

Does this sound like the little switch device is burned out? If so that thing SUCKS! I've only had the gauges for like a month or so and the switch device is already burned out???

So now, not only do my needles not move properly (which I can live with) but the damn gauges dont even lite up correctly anymore.

This is becoming one of my worst experiences ever!
Please tell me someone else had the burnout too.
And YES, I did put the inline fuse on the red wire.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:59 AM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmm.. i just finished installing mine today.. i will report if my gauges go bad

sorry to hear that.. and i agree... it wasn't easy to install them right
Old 03-25-2002, 08:45 AM
Safety Car

having needles off would not be acceptable to me -----------
nor would flickering
sorry to hear
im glad i didnt buy them
Old 03-25-2002, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn man, sorry to hear ab that, esp after all that time that uve been waiting....

does ne1 have a pic of what they look like installed in our TLs?
Old 03-25-2002, 11:39 AM
Pro

Re: Screwed up my indiglo gauges BIGTIME!!!

Did you take the needles off when isntalling the gauges?? if so..ur calibartions are ****ed up..when i installed my gauges..it took me 40 minutes.(i dont have a tl though) and i just slid the gauges through the needles without taking them off.

and how do you "fine tune" the gauges? ne ways..just take them out if its giving you hard times...
good luck!

Originally posted by ChaosityZ
Ya know.. these things have been more of a hassle... but I thought it was worth it... until now.

First off, I had a PAIN IN THE @$$ getting these things installed. After much fine tuning I finally got them to the point where they worked! The tach was off... the speedo was 10 MPH fast... and the fuel worked just fine. Temp was off a bit as well.

BUT NOW THIS SUCKS!

Now when I turn my lights on, the indiglo flickers like crazy. It will no longer go to the "bright mode." When I switch to bright it goes black! And it will NOT switch to only the numbers being lit! The only the gauges will do, is either 1) soft blue background, 2) All DARK, or 3) flicker like crazy!

Does this sound like the little switch device is burned out? If so that thing SUCKS! I've only had the gauges for like a month or so and the switch device is already burned out???

So now, not only do my needles not move properly (which I can live with) but the damn gauges dont even lite up correctly anymore.

This is becoming one of my worst experiences ever!
Please tell me someone else had the burnout too.
And YES, I did put the inline fuse on the red wire.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:53 PM
Racer

You can reset the needles by pulling them out about a quarter inch and then moving them to where you want the "ZERO" position to be, and then push them back in. Thats how I fine-tuned mine. But like I said, they were a little off but I can live with that.

Its the indiglo that is really getin to me. No one had there's burned out? I think the problem is when using the keyless remote. When you "unlock" the doors, all the lights in the car, including the indiglo gauges, flash twice. I think that flashing is what burned out my gauges.

I hope we can order the silver set soon, and I hope they are easier to install. The problem is going to be getting the white gauges off with that nasty sticky tape already in place.
Old 03-25-2002, 03:20 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
which setting do you have on all the time? the super bright green mode or the "not so blue" mode or in between? I notice that the gauges flicker when you lock/unlock the car too so maybe that's why. I also notice that if you have all the numbers light up without the background color you will hear a high pitch sound coming from the invertor, probably indicating high power is being used. Try not to use up too much power and see what happens.
Old 03-25-2002, 03:54 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

I haven't heard anyone said about pulling the needle out and put it back on. I didn't pull my needles out.
This might be helpful to you.
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=34600
Old 03-25-2002, 04:19 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

I think ChaosityZ meant his needles are OFF as in off specifications. Not physically off the gauge. ??

Regardless, I have a set of APC indiglo's in my GSX. After a while they too started flickering. This is a problem in general with the EL paper, I believe.

There are reasons why AutoMeter discontinued their EL gauges for a while. This flickering problem was problem one of those reasons. They eventually went with a different design an reintroduced them.

You really need to make sure there are no pinches in the wiring as it goes through the inst cluster. This is the biggest culprit. However, over time these things will flicker and wear out.

Personally, I would expect to change them out often OR just don't use them. (I get's annoying after a while if they're too bright as well.) Bright Blue is not eyeball friendly on long nighttime drives. :wow:

baggs
Old 03-25-2002, 04:21 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

one more note..

I had my indiglos for about a year and a half before the flickering was unbearable.
Old 03-25-2002, 04:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chaos,

If you want your instrument cluster guages to illuninate super white light with a hint of blue sky color I can do it for you for $350. The way I will do to put a bunch of super white LEDs behind the guages. You can't believe what you see at night? Just send your instrument cluster and I will do the modification. It has to be 2002 TL or TL type S. Check out:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=36504
Old 03-25-2002, 04:33 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Re: Screwed up my indiglo gauges BIGTIME!!!

Originally posted by ChaosityZ

Do you really know how to play with the switch?

We have two switches for the gauge. We have BLUE switch on the bottome and BLACK on the top. (this is just my setting, it can be up side down) BLUE button controls the indiglo(surface) and BLACK button controls the #'s. You have to press BLUE button to turn the indiglo on & off. However, you have to press & hold to turn on & off the #'s. Remember that you have to press & hold the black button to make #'s lite up unlike you press blue button again & again to switch on & off.

Just to be sure.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:05 AM
Racer

Yes I am very familiar with how the gauges work. They did work perfectly for like a month and a half. They used to do all THREE options 1) numbers only, 2) soft blue background, 3) bright background.

Right now the gauges will ONLY do the soft blue. If I push the button to change to the bright... the whole gauge goes black. I have to push that button again to get back to soft blue. If I hold the other button to adjust the numbers... it again goes straight to black! I have to release it and then hold it again to bring it back to soft blue. It seems that the "Reverse" part of my indiglos is gone!

It ONLY does the soft blue. Thats why I assume that the little black box (invertor) is burned out. I doubt it can be fixed, so I will have to wait for the second set of gauges for $15. And use the invertor from that.

Unless of course anyone else has any suggestions???
Old 03-26-2002, 02:04 AM
Banned

hcchon:
"Chaos,

If you want your instrument cluster guages to illuninate super white light with a hint of blue sky color I can do it for you for $350. The way I will do to put a bunch of super white LEDs behind the guages. You can't believe what you see at night? Just send your instrument cluster and I will do the modification. It has to be 2002 TL or TL type S. Check out: "

Why is it that you're charging that much? Surely the LED's you use can't cost more than $50. Wow dude...that's a lot of profit . I'll be doing this soon as well...so anyone who wants to buy LEDs with me can at a discounted price for a large quantity...and I'll post a how-to.

Austin519
Old 03-26-2002, 12:05 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Hey Austin,

you still wondering around this forum w/o name, like a ghost???
I hope you'll get your No Life back pretty soon.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:34 PM
Banned

songoku:
Dude...<sniff>...I know <sniff>...I cry daily

Austin519
Old 03-27-2002, 11:33 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by Austin519
songoku:
Dude...<sniff>...I know <sniff>...I cry daily

Austin519
Hey Austin,

I'll make you happy......just for a little bit.
Austin519
No Life

Old 03-27-2002, 11:38 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Ooops here,

Austin519
No Life

(Tim only allow me to give you 5 stars....sorry...)