Salt

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2000, 08:50 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Salt

hey guys. I got quick question. i've been driving my TL w/o wash for like 2 months now. It's covered in salt all over. This realy does not bother me, but I heard that driving like that is not all that good for the paint. Can someone give me an insight on this matter?
Damn, I should move to FL or something....

------------------
2000 TL Pearl White w\o nav
1991 Volvo 940 Turbo Traded

"Just Shut Up and Enjoy the Ride"
Old 12-27-2000, 09:01 AM
Pro

Actually I believe that driving around down there ain't so great for your paint either. My dad always tells me to run my car down with water after coming back from a FL vacation.

And yes, the salt is in general, bad stuff for the car's paint. That's why, at least I think, that when advertising a used car that's for sale, they say things like: never smoked in, garaged, never seen snow.

------------------
Kenny
TL
Old 12-27-2000, 09:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

I believe salt is a very corrosive element and will cause eventual deterioration to your paint. That’s why you see cars that experience winter weather has more rust and body damage than the cars in the sunny areas like Florida and Arizona. Even though the appearance may not bother you since all of the other cars on the road have salt on them, but when your car is a few years old and you see rust on your car, that would be unsightly.

So, I'd say at least take it to a brushless car wash if you don’t feel like washing it yourself. Also, if you spend $30k+ on a car, I'd take care of it

Just my take.

------------------
'00 White Diamond Perl w/Nav
Wings West Spoiler
Comptech Exaust
Rear Comptech Sway bar
Old 12-27-2000, 09:21 AM
Racer

I once read (in Consumer Reports ) that the two most important things you can do to keep your car in good shape are:
  • Change the oil regularly
  • Wash the salt and dirt off your car

Washing also makes your car look better, and it keeps your windows clean so you can see where you're going...

------------------
David

Black-on-Black non-NAV 2000
Old 12-27-2000, 09:26 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

It's too freakin' cold! http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...543&p=36278414
Old 12-27-2000, 09:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Another thing you want to keep off your car is bird droppings. Once I left a dropping uncleaned for a week, I could still see a thin layer of the stain on the paint after I cleaned it hard.

Wax definitely helps preventing dirts from getting/sticking onto the paint.
Old 12-27-2000, 02:10 PM
Banned

Unless you plan to keep your car for 10 years or so don't worry the pain will hold...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-27-2000, 02:52 PM
Drifting

Cool

Damn, after reading this post, I took a look at my car and saw just how bad the salt build-up was. Had to make a special trip to the car wash to get it dont before the temp. drops outside again and the they close because it's too cold (it's 33* out according to my car). Anyway, salt's gone, car's clean once again and I'm now ready for the next batch of snow (supposed to be on Saturday... oh joy!).

------------------

2000 Acura 3.2 TL w/ Navigation
Satin Silver/Ebony Interior
20% Tint, No Mods, Just Insanely Clean
3.2TL Gallery
Old 12-27-2000, 02:57 PM
Advanced

Had my car for only a week and it's been washed 3 times... Salt really shows up well on black!!! ARG!!
-Rob

------------------
99 Acura TL w/o NAV
Black/Parchment

88 Mustang GT - 450HP
Old 12-27-2000, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Acura3200:
Damn, after reading this post, I took a look at my car and saw just how bad the salt build-up was. Had to make a special trip to the car wash to get it dont before the temp. drops outside again and the they close because it's too cold (it's 33* out according to my car). Anyway, salt's gone, car's clean once again and I'm now ready for the next batch of snow (supposed to be on Saturday... oh joy!).
Just remember to dry off your car otherwise you won't be able to open your doors when the temperature drops..

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-27-2000, 11:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Back in my Skiing days, I used to come back after midnight from skiing, go straight to the car wash to wash off the salt from the car before going home.. I won't drive my car if it's that dirty, I get irritated when I drive my car and it's dirty.. I hate dirty cars... I wash my car in the winter time too, as long as the temperature is not freezing.. I use a Neoprene glove, similar to what scuba diver's use. It's warm, keeps my hand dry, and works! If it is freezing, I take the car to a car wash where you have a couple of dudes in the tunnel washing the car buy hand, and the only machines in there is the soap applicator and the dryer, both which don't touch the car.
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?