Rust!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust!!

Hey all,

So I just happened to notice today that there's a small discoloration on the passenger side rear column. It's very small, about the size of this "o". I took a closer look at it was about to rub it off when I noticed it was rust. Needless to say, I nearly took a shit in the parking lot.

Upon further examination, it doesn't look like it was caused by road-debris or an impact of any kind for that matter. It's almost perfectly round and, as I said, about the size of this "o". The metal underneath is definitely rusted and it appears that the paint is starting to peel back from the metal.

I read up on the warranty and there's a 5-year coverage for "rust perforation". However, there are a few questions that are really bugging me:

1) Is the rear column on the passenger side considered a "body panel"?
2) If this isn't covered under warranty, how do I prevent the paint from flaking away more, and the rust from spreading?

To be honest, this really looks like an issue with the paint. I'll try to take a pic later and upload it.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

OK, guess I can't upload a pic in this forum. Any suggestions for a free picture posting service that will let folks link to the photos directly?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:40 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I had my 94' Talon I noticed a rust spot on the B-pillar end of the door. I know how it got there too. A piece of grit got between the weather stripping and the door frame and I just couldn't get it out so I left it. So I guess the flexing of the door frame chaffed the grit into the paint enough to penetrate it, then the winter came. Rust spot in 4 months...

I think by "perforation" they mean "penetration" and not just a surface spot. You can try though, it won't hurt too much to ask.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:47 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem I have a small rust spot on the edge of my trunk lid.... I saw it, and nearly cried.... my girl helped me out of it.... is there anything we can do????? I don't want the dealer to just touch it up with some nasty paint.... I want the work done.... sanding, etc...
Old 06-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Hi folks,

Here is the problem with warranty against rust. Every manufacturer calls this warranty against “rust perforation.” What they mean is that rust has to appear from inside and rust through. That gives them the way out if you come and claim. I also find damn rust, oh well. I was washing my car and took off plastic deflector that installed over sunroof. This deflector is held by two steel strips. I think, that plastic moves back and forth. Anyway, these strips robbed paint right through. My car is 4 years old, so weather takes toll… If you have rust under the paint, the only way to deal with it is to completely remove it, rust. Cut loose paint and scrub rust with sharp knife, or screwdriver. Scrub more than just rusted area. Then, apply chemical called “Extent”. You can buy it in auto parts store. Don’t buy spray, buy small bottle of liquid stuff. Use as directed, apply primer and, after it’s dry, paint. Good luck.