Run With a WRX manual today

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 04:32 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run With a WRX manual today

Raced one at the track that was also white but an Auto, I would always win by several tenths (2-3 car lengths).

This one was stick and with 4 people in it and on the street! I'm alone. I didn't get to line up with him at the light and was behind him. I guess this is better as they are killer off the line, so better chance from a roll, plus he has added weight. He took off fast when it turned green, then slowed down as I got into the next lane. We slowed to about 30mph roll and lined up, then punched it. Looked like TL-S was going to have a nice win in that great Vtec laden second gear, then when he shifted, the WRX gained half a car and stayed that way tell we shut it down at about 65 in a 45.

To top things off, one of my friends/old school days associates was in the car, hanging out of the back window when they pulled on me throwing peace signs, lol. Car still had temp. plates on it, and was an obvious new car joy ride with all his buds. Too bad I couldn't spoil their party, only if I was in my other car Great cars those WRXs, I just wish they just didn’t make it so ugly, I almost bought one. The previous Imprzea had a much better front end, but both have cheap looking ecno box rear ends I was hoping the new one would rid.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:11 AM
Banned

yea those things are FAST. I didnt know they made an AUTO wrx... then again i dont know too much about them. But i did hear the new wrx has aftermarket parts for it already. MUST BE NICE!
Old 12-03-2001, 06:07 AM
Racer

Yea, must be! This is my first Honda product, and I figured with all the aftermarket support for hondas, our Acura's would get some love When will we have a ECM related mod with some results, will that RES come out? The 1K headers don't do it for me, and everything else its small gains.

This is the longest I have ever owned a car stock. 8K Miles
Old 12-03-2001, 06:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by typeSmaximum
Yea, must be! This is my first Honda product, and I figured with all the aftermarket support for hondas, our Acura's would get some love When will we have a ECM related mod with some results, will that RES come out? The 1K headers don't do it for me, and everything else its small gains.

This is the longest I have ever owned a car stock. 8K Miles
Patience my friend. AEM's fully programable Plug-n-play ECU is available now (to the tune of about $1800 list!) Should be able to get this in the $1200-1300 range. Still pricey, but should make a big difference with a good tuner's input.

RES will be out very soon. I've got faith in Doug (SynCivic.) He seems genuine. AND WE ALL WANT ONE!

Headers are worth the $$$. Mine are coming today, WOOHOO! It helps when you find a gently used set for $860 shipped!

AEM CAI is a great bang for the buck mod too. The only negative is a slight bit of low end torque loss. RES should negate this though. The VTEC wail is wicked!
Old 12-03-2001, 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I raced my friend's WRX... It was a good run....our TL S gives it a good run. The WRX, for a turbo car... compare to ours that is not.. and the weight and size of our cars... I'm impressed at the speed of our cars... the only advantage the TL S has over the WRX is more HP ...but WRX has more advantages...smaller car...lighter... turbo... all wheel drive..

city
Old 12-03-2001, 03:43 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but aren't WRX's running low fives ? The slowest I've seen is 5.6, and as fast as 5.3. I've yet to see a sub-six normally aspirated TLs, actually 6.3 is the best and 6.7 in a shootout vs. the 330 sedan (it did 6.8).
Old 12-03-2001, 03:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TedC
Maybe I'm wrong but aren't WRX's running low fives ? The slowest I've seen is 5.6, and as fast as 5.3. I've yet to see a sub-six normally aspirated TLs, actually 6.3 is the best and 6.7 in a shootout vs. the 330 sedan (it did 6.8).
I'd agree, but it all depends on the driver of the WRX. I dont think our TLS have a chance. Thats like going against a S4. IMO
Old 12-03-2001, 05:34 PM
Burning Brakes

when I said a good run...means our cars does pretty well even though we lose...we r still pretty fast... consider it a fwd..heavier..and auto...while WRX..turbo..all wheel..lighter...and manual

city
Old 12-03-2001, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Im surprised your TLS didnt beat him from a roll. He had 4 people in the car and the AWD system has no advantage from a roll except in the wet or if you have that Blitz R34 :p

AWD eats up a lot of power, which hurts the WRX, as you can see by its 1/4 times. They can launch great, but the wasted energy hurts them (Ive seen a best 1/4 of 14.1 at the Subie boards, with a timeslip).
Old 12-03-2001, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

AWD eats up a lot of power, which hurts the WRX, as you can see by its 1/4 times. They can launch great, but the wasted energy hurts them (Ive seen a best 1/4 of 14.1 at the Subie boards, with a timeslip). [/B]
Exactly! Although C&D tested the WRX at 14.1@96 I haven't seen a stock WRX do better than 14.4 at KCIR... I'm betting a TL-S with I/H/E would take a stock WRX in 1/4 mile unless the WRX driver was shifting FLAWLESSLY. 0-60 is another story... how do we compete with AWD and a 6000 RPM clutch dump? We dont!
Old 12-03-2001, 10:21 PM

I have driven a WRX wagon manual, and they are very fast. I didn't think they would be that fast , at least not compared to a TL-S or Maxima 2k2. There was 3 of us in the car and I think we must have been in the mid to upper 6's on the my first launch. The all-wheel drive helps alot, kinda like the 3000GT or Stealth's. The tires chirped alittle, but then we were off. I am assumming that after a few tries I could get low 6's or upper 5's. Needless to say WRX are lighter and faster then type-S's.
Old 12-03-2001, 11:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Crzy Acura
yea those things are FAST. I didnt know they made an AUTO wrx... then again i dont know too much about them. But i did hear the new wrx has aftermarket parts for it already. MUST BE NICE!
yeah go to www.clubwrx.net and click on the link above and look at some of the parts they have available. And yes they have there own forum sponsored shop like we do. They have a mod for $4500 and it turns your car into a high 11 second car.
Old 12-04-2001, 12:17 AM
Racer

My cousin has a 5sp WRX wagon. I stay neck and neck with him till 2nd gear and I would just pull away in 3rd.

The reason is because he's a new stick driver and can't shift for sh!t
Old 12-04-2001, 12:34 AM
Racer

This guy can shift! He had a highly moded Rustang GT before this car. Yea I know, what a change, but he likes it a lot more. Again, too bad its such an ugly car, the wagon is a little nicer I think.

Doesn't matter if more mods come out for us and they are all $1.5K plus!! The RES will be nice. If they have problems producing/Financing it, contact me, I will get it done, and distribute it, and make an agreement with the creator.
Old 12-04-2001, 04:17 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Don's TL
My cousin has a 5sp WRX wagon. I stay neck and neck with him till 2nd gear and I would just pull away in 3rd.

The reason is because he's a new stick driver and can't shift for sh!t
He must really suck driving stick :p
Most AWD cars need to have the clutched dumped at 4k+ rpms or they will tend to bog.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, I'd beware of those WRX's. my buds got one only slightly modded and it's bad;springs, exhaust,chip. We've gone out to Portland Intl. Raceway on track days and watched WRX take the field. Whipping all BMW's on the track, all porsches save the C-4 (but Porsche guys are generally dentists who can't drive ) all Audi's gay S4's included. They are mean in the twisties...and like was mentioned before a huge after-market...but no leather and not quiet and no heated seats and......and.... But a good second car IMHO :p