Rotors and the runaround

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 03:51 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotors and the runaround

I've read responses in this forum stating that the rust on the brake rotors is normal. However, when the Acura dealership looked at my 2002 TL with very low mileage, they said told that my rotors were rusted and needed to be **resurfed.** My car is still under warranty, but it's not covered-- these parts are considered "normal wear and tear" on the car.

So, if the rust is normal, why is the Acura dealership selling me a $200+ service to resurface my rotors?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:55 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To make $200 from you.

I left my '99 sitting in a park and ride for 2 days. When I parked the car, it was raining. When I got back to the lot, all the rotors had rust marks on them. By the time I got home, no more rust.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
rust is normal where the pad DOES NOT touch the rotor
Old 07-25-2005, 05:56 PM
On the way!

All rotors will rust where the pad rubs - they're cast iron. After a day or two in Florida afternoon thunder showers, the whole parking lot will have a bit of rust on the rotors (if we hadn't moved the vehicle).

The rust gets rubbed off before you've driven 100 feet.

Now - leave it parked outside for 6 months or a year without driving.... you might need to get them resurfaced.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:20 PM
WhizzBomb

Originally Posted by rar_acura
...they said told that my rotors were rusted and needed to be **resurfed.**
If they say the rotors need to be resurfaced, I'd suggest going to the service MANAGER with a print out of the TSB (that pretty much says the stock rotors are crap) and say that the tech said they needed to be resurfaced per Acura. (Which actually isn't technically true)

Using that technique I got my rotors resurfaced (which didn't realy do a damn thing) and then they finally REPLCED them at $0 cost.

If you need a copy of the TSB just PM me.

Good luck,

Joe
Old 07-25-2005, 09:29 PM
Advanced

just buy new rotors. cross drilled/slotted front and rear for 168.00 shipped. go to ebay. the brand is r1 concepts. they may even have a site of their own. the rotors come zinc coated to prevent rust. the zinc rubs off where the pad meets, but the rest of the plating stays in tac. then u wont have to worry about rust or the dealership trying to burn u
Old 07-26-2005, 09:48 AM
:brakejob:

Originally Posted by acrite
just buy new rotors. cross drilled/slotted front and rear for 168.00 shipped. go to ebay. the brand is r1 concepts. they may even have a site of their own. the rotors come zinc coated to prevent rust. the zinc rubs off where the pad meets, but the rest of the plating stays in tac. then u wont have to worry about rust or the dealership trying to burn u
yeah, thats high quality
Old 07-26-2005, 10:56 AM
4th Gear

This is great advice. I'll definitely ask for the TSB report today when I visit the dealer.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:06 PM
WhizzBomb

Originally Posted by rar_acura
This is great advice. I'll definitely ask for the TSB report today when I visit the dealer.
If you haven't been yet PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the PDF. I think going in with it in hand would carry more weight.

Good luck either way!

Joe
Old 07-26-2005, 07:17 PM
/etc/car

I wish they would have applied the finish to part of the rotor surface on my Rotoras. There's a shiny slotted rotor...there's a nice black finish on the hub part...there's a fugly rust ring around the inner part the pad doesn't touch
Old 07-26-2005, 07:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by fla-tls
All rotors will rust where the pad rubs - they're cast iron. After a day or two in Florida afternoon thunder showers, the whole parking lot will have a bit of rust on the rotors (if we hadn't moved the vehicle).

The rust gets rubbed off before you've driven 100 feet.

Now - leave it parked outside for 6 months or a year without driving.... you might need to get them resurfaced.

All cast iron rotors rust; especially after raining, washing the car, or in very humid weather. Should all come off after your first few stops.

Rotors shoudl only need to be cut if the are out of round; rust is not an indication to turn them.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:42 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

They resurfaced my rotors and replaced my pads under warranty at 35,000 miles no questions asked. I have an 02 TL.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by brakejobhelp
yeah, thats high quality
dont knock it if u aint tried it
just cause the price is good doesnt mean theyre crap, maybe your just upset that u paid way too much money on your shit
Old 07-27-2005, 11:12 AM
:brakejob:

dont knock it if u aint tried it
just cause the price is good doesnt mean theyre crap, maybe your just upset that u paid way too much money on your shit
no, it's because i purchased quality "shit"...

brakes are the one thing that save your ass as you're entering a turn at speed, and you want to purchase some shitty ebay quality rotors? they work of course, but those ebay cross drilled rotors are going to crack, it is only a matter of time. buying 3rd rate parts for a near luxury vehicle is kinda silly, like people who buy ebay springs and ebay $20 performance chips.

inspect your rotors, you may find some cross drill cracks... thats a problem with cross drilled rotors in the first place, exacerbated by cheap quality ebay parts...
Old 07-27-2005, 11:23 AM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is GB for Rotora Rotors https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=311757&page=1
Old 07-27-2005, 01:35 PM
4th Gear

In reponse to 03CoupeV6, my Acura dealership is going to resurface my rear rotors and replace my brake pads at no charge as a good will effort. My car was still under warranty and had only 16k miles after nearly 3.5 years. I was warned that if I have similar mileage in the next 4 years, the same problem will occur. Also, I learned that pre-1999 TLs had problems in the front breaks that are under warranty-- which is good to know for anyone who has that year, make and model. That's it-- thanks to all.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by brakejobhelp
no, it's because i purchased quality "shit"...

brakes are the one thing that save your ass as you're entering a turn at speed, and you want to purchase some shitty ebay quality rotors? they work of course, but those ebay cross drilled rotors are going to crack, it is only a matter of time. buying 3rd rate parts for a near luxury vehicle is kinda silly, like people who buy ebay springs and ebay $20 performance chips.

inspect your rotors, you may find some cross drill cracks... thats a problem with cross drilled rotors in the first place, exacerbated by cheap quality ebay parts...
cracked cross drilled huh? never heard of it happening. ill keep an eye out for it. in the mean time, im perfectly happy w/my "3rd rate parts." i think your just speaking on hearsay, stories, rumors. ive got plenty of friends that really "mod."
friends w/evos and the like. all have been impressed w/my find. u go and spend an arm and a leg on a rotor thats made of the same material and machined the same way. ill let u know if i have any problems.

p.s. sorry to hijack this thread
Old 07-29-2005, 03:11 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
cracked cross drilled huh? never heard of it happening. ill keep an eye out for it. in the mean time, im perfectly happy w/my "3rd rate parts." i think your just speaking on hearsay, stories, rumors. ive got plenty of friends that really "mod."

p.s. sorry to hijack this thread
Yes, cracked cross-drilled rotors. You aren't on this forum long enough. There has been pictures of them posted a while back with long cracks starting from the drilled holes.

High quality X-drilled rotors are made from strengthened or treated metal. But some cheap shops just drill holes in OEM rotors and sell them as X-drilled ones. Since drilling holes removes metal mass from the OEM rotors, not only will this weakens the rotors, the rotors will also have less mass to dissipate heat. As a result, they warp and crack under heavy stress whereas proper high quality ones won't.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:25 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Yes, cracked cross-drilled rotors. You aren't on this forum long enough. There has been pictures of them posted a while back with long cracks starting from the drilled holes.

High quality X-drilled rotors are made from strengthened or treated metal. But some cheap shops just drill holes in OEM rotors and sell them as X-drilled ones. Since drilling holes removes metal mass from the OEM rotors, not only will this weakens the rotors, the rotors will also have less mass to dissipate heat. As a result, they warp and crack under heavy stress whereas proper high quality ones won't.
dont knock it. ive been on this forum for quite some time. im just under a new name, forgot my old password. besides i dont log on to, or listen to every piece of advice that many of u spew several times a day. i just log on for what i need and let the rest of u argue about this and that.
i thought that cross drilling was meant to disipate heat more efectivley than non cross drilled. why do brembos cross drill and slot their highest grade rotors if they will warp from cross drilling??????

p.s. u dont have to answer, i dont want to hear it
Old 07-30-2005, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

i dont .............. listen to every piece of advice that many of u spew........................... p.s. u dont have to answer, i dont want to hear it
Sounds like in this case, you are the one spewing information which doesnt seem to be ideal, but with an attitude like that, you definitely wont have anyone rushing to help you out if you need it.

Brembos have been known to crack as well, pics of this have been posted here and elsewhere numerous times.

but to answer your question, he posted the main reason why it is much more of a problem with the cheaper rotors vs the Brembos. The Brembos have the holes cast into the rotor which is made of treated metal. The cheaper ones just have the holes drilled in later which weakens them structurally.

Another thing to keep in mind is most places will not turn drilled/slotted rotors, so keep that in mind.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Advanced

p.s. u dont have to answer, i dont want to hear it[/QUOTE]

this applies to you too mr. hyde
Old 08-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Instructor

SO are Rotora Rotors good quality? Sorry I dont know much about rotors.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

this applies to you too mr. hyde
Suit yourself, as they say; Ignorance is bliss. Now back under that rock you crawled out under from.

Originally Posted by Chauncey
SO are Rotora Rotors good quality? Sorry I dont know much about rotors.
Yes they are; havent heard of any problems with them so far.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Suit yourself, as they say; Ignorance is bliss. Now back under that rock you crawled out under from.

Yes they are; havent heard of any problems with them so far.
ive been around this forum since 03. (forgot my old password, new screen name)
and u seem to start many arguments. you seem to be very arrogent. your only 28 buddy. get off your high horse.
are you gonna threaten to boot me out to??? its funny how youve earned the nick name Mr. Go Run and Hyde
i dont chime in that often cause of assholes like u, but ive finally had enough....
Old 08-04-2005, 02:50 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
What's wrong with this Acrite ? He hasn't seen cracked X-drilled rotors, and I told him there had been pictures of cracked X-drilled rotors posted here a long time ago. He didn't want to hear mine and Mr Hyde's replies. Fine. Many others on this forum do, and we reply just for these others who like to gain more knowledge. But this Acrite guy had to come back out and READ our replies. Real strange guy !?