Rotor problems petition - PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 12:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the tires have had the static balance on them they have had all kinds of road force variance balance done to them. They have rotated the tire on the rim. Tape weights and rim weights. all sorts of combinations had been tried including letting 3 dealerships have thier shot at it and still no resolution. Point being this problem cannot be fixed and Acura is blaming things like a subwoofer or telling me my car should drive this way. Which is a load especially when every time I talked to them thier story would consistently change or they would say it could be this. Point is they dont know what to make of it. . .
Old 05-26-2003, 10:38 AM
5th Gear

Ok, that sounds like there is something fishy going on. Since the last time the tires were balanced on my car, it too has been acting funny. I had the guys redo the balance (rim wts static AND taped on wts). Yet, could not get it to drive smoothly. The guys convinced me that my perfect looking rims are damaged. (The standard BS).
I think I am going to let the service manager at the dealership take a go at it.
Any guesses as far as you are concerned on what it could be?? Tires? Rims? Suspension?
Old 05-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

Well, I know it isnt the wheels, i have had the dealer and tire place inspect the rims. I have already had to have all 4 tires replaced due to the fact that 3 of the 4 tires were already "OUT OF ROUND" with in only 6500 miles of driving on the car. There is something very wrong with my car and it continues to get worse and worse the more you drive it. Rotors in front have gone 2 times and the steering is feeling weirder and weirder at highway speeds every day. The negotiations dept for litigation from acura called and wanted to drive it but then felt that because when they had thier area rep in the major city area that he said it was supposed to drive this way that they didnt feel anything was necessary to be done. Point being this rep doesnt know a thing about cars and should be confined to customer relations and have no relations in technical matters. Its basically acura taking 1 mans word on something when I have even had the shop foreman for a Honda dealer verify what I am talking about. So really the car will do all the speaking. I'm sorry I cant really give you any more info, but as the dealers have told me they have looked over everything and found nothing wrong, only solution left is the car is a lemon. I know I didnt get into a 30k car to have it drive worse than a 3k used car out of a poor used car lot. But that is what I have and the paint to boot on this thing despite trying all dealer suggestions on waxing and anything else to stop it from spoting. I hope you fing out whats going on with your car. I simply have given up on trying to make it work with a companny that has no concearn for the customer.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Rotors warped twice (3k & 29K miles). Resurfaced and new pads both times under warranty. Dealer took care of it with no problems.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by juniorbean
This is the best I could find: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ght=rotors+TSB

Someone had also posted a link to a picture of the actual TSB, but I could not find that.
That was me. Here's the link.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...670#post155670
Old 05-26-2003, 01:45 PM
5th Gear

Originally posted by juniorbean
This is the best I could find: http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...ght=rotors+TSB

Someone had also posted a link to a picture of the actual TSB, but I could not find that.

You can *buy* the TSB at www.ALLDATA.com by clicking on the TSB number after getting down to your model and year combination.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:00 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the link, GoHawks63. My 02 TL-S has approx 35,000 miles on it and my rotors are warped pretty badly. Before I knew about this thread, I mentioned me having warped rotors to the dealer during the 30k checkup. He said that I would have to pay for having the rotors resurfaced.

Even though I have the TSB info, will it help any in getting things fixed under warranty? I'm still not clear if it applies to 2002 models also.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Master-G
Thanks for the link, GoHawks63. My 02 TL-S has approx 35,000 miles on it and my rotors are warped pretty badly. Before I knew about this thread, I mentioned me having warped rotors to the dealer during the 30k checkup. He said that I would have to pay for having the rotors resurfaced.

Even though I have the TSB info, will it help any in getting things fixed under warranty? I'm still not clear if it applies to 2002 models also.
I think it depends on the dealer. A friend of mine had an 02' Type-S and had the rotors warp. When he called the dealer, the service mgr also stated that the TSB specifically referred to pre-'02 models, but to come in anyway so they could check it out.

They ended up taking care of it under warranty.

It doesn't hurt to make a little noise or to try different dealers.

In my case, at 3K miles I had the rotors resurfaced and they replaced the pads with the "new" ones. 26K miles later they still warped. I guess they could have said that it was normal wear, but they chose to take the high road and fix it under warranty.

Again, I think it all comes down to the dealer and how willing are they to please you.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Advanced

Rotors WARPED

Mine were warped at 5k and then at 8K. Both times rotors resurfaced. Then again at 12k this time rotors were replaced. Again doing it at 15K looking to lemon law the car since it will continue. Car is a year old 03 tls. Anyone lemon law an acura for this issue?
Old 05-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

I haven't had any serious problems with the car such as tranny failure but i have had my rotors warped at like 12,000 miles. I took it to the dealer and yelled at them and they fixed it for free. Then when i went to pick it up they brought the wrong car out and they were like here's your car and i was like "no that's not my car!" and they were like "yes it is." Then with a sarcastic voice i asked, "then why is my car up on the rack without wheels on it? I think i could see my exhaust and the decals i have on it from here and could recognize my own car." then they were like "OH" and gave me a free oil change.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:50 AM
Advanced

krnsleeper, what dealer did you go to? I also live in Fullerton. I've had poor service from Weir Canyon Acura. Just wondering if there is a decent Acura service dept in Orange County?
Old 05-31-2003, 05:25 PM
2002 TL Type S

My rotors got warped after travelling down some winding country roads in SW Virginia and after stopping at a gas station, I smelled brakes. From that point on (appx. 20K miles), my rotors were warped. I took it in around 26K for service. Here's what the Acura service ticket said:

=====================
Customer requests brake system inspections. Please check for brake vibration at higher speeds. Front rotors out of round. Replaced front rotors and pads. Topped fluids. Test drove - OK.

Qty: 1 Part: 45022-S0K-A11 Pad Set, FR. WARRANTY
Qty: 2 Part: 45251-S0X-000 Disk, FR. 16, 2 WARRANTY

Total Labor and Parts: $ 0.00
=====================

Moral: Never use your brakes and keep your speed below 140mph! :p
Old 06-02-2003, 03:04 PM
5th Gear

Yup, same problem. 2002 TL Type S, 40k on the odo. Never bothered nagging my dealer about it becasue I knew all along that Honda rotors where a weak point. Considering a Brembo upgrade just to get it over with. I will probably throw the old rotors through the dealer showroom window.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Instructor

2002 TL-S 15K MILES...MY ACURA DEALER JUST REPLACED MY ROTORS WITH NEWLY DESIGNED ONES ( A FEW WEEKS AGO THEY CAME OUT) AS PER SERVICE REP. TOTALLY WARPED...STEERING WAS SHAKING. GLAD I STUMBLED ACROSS THIS FORUM....WOUDL OF NEVER KNOWN
Old 06-03-2003, 04:45 PM
2002 TL Type S

That's why we're here...
Old 06-03-2003, 06:43 PM
Intermediate

i got them resurface twice

mine is a 99 tl with 80,000 miles on it and i got them resurface twice and waiting for my new power slot rotors
Old 06-03-2003, 08:15 PM
Instructor

my acura dealer just replaced my rotors with newly designed ones (as per sales rep)...2002 tl-s 15k...no questions asked....
Old 06-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Instructor

to add.... these new rotors are 16"...hope this helps out
Old 06-04-2003, 04:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Got mine done a few months ago...29k on the car when they were done. '02 TL-S. arthurb1@NOSPAMrushwis.com

Take the special wording out for the real addy I hate site leeches, what can I say?
Old 06-04-2003, 04:01 PM
bluLEGEND

What size are OEM rotors? 16" if bigger, did they have to replace the calipers too?
Old 06-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Instructor

'02 TL-S problem surfaced @ 30,000mi
Old 06-09-2003, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Well, boys and girls, there really IS a Santa Clause...

I just got back from Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA, and I'm sportin' a new rotor at each corner, and new pads all around.

When I arrived and described the problem, the service rep told me that Acura's procedure is to turn the rotors, and then replace them later on if the problem recurs. He even showed me the service bulletin that spells out this policy.

I said if this is how Acura wants to address the problem, I can't do anything about it, but I don't agree that turning the rotors is the way to fix it. I guaranteed the guy that I would be back in 5-10k miles, at which time we will be replacing the rotors. I told him that it was a flawed policy on the part of Acura, but I understand that he is just following the rules (I knew he had some latitude to do whatever he wants, but I didn't figure I'd fight it for now.)

So, the guy disappears into the back, and pops out 2 minutes later to tell me that he talked to the boss, and they have decided to replace the rotors since that is what I want!

How cool is that?

P.S. The service rep said he never heard of a "new and improved Acura rotor", as was posted earlier in this thread. He said all he knows about is "new and improved pads" that are less destructive to the rotor. He said the pads are causing the rotors to warp.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Instructor

I'm not one to drive or brake hard. In fact, on my previous car (a manual Supra), my mechanic said he had never seen the problem I showed up with. My pads had not worn down, but had to be replaced from deteriating from old age!

I just got my 2002 TL-S back from its 15K check up yesterday. At least I can say I was satisfied with the service since I had not mentioned anything about the brakes when I dropped it off. They found and replaced everything for free. Now, how long can I expect my new brakes to last?

=====================
410101 Replaced front pads and rotors
2 45251-S0X-000 Disk, FR. (16", 28T)
2 42510-SCV-A00 Disk, RR.
1 45022-S0K-A11 Pad set, FR.
1 43022-SP0-020 Pad set, RR.
1 45022-S0K-A11 Pad set, FR.
411102 Replaced rear rotors and pads
=====================
Old 06-11-2003, 11:21 AM
Instructor

kennelm - for your new pads...do you have a part number as nick has listed. my dealer is saying that they may develop new pads as they go along in production but a new pad that is out now...he was not aware of it at all. but its definetely the pads that cause this problem. best thing to do is not to drive hard and brake hard. all they replaced were my front rotors...rear were fine and so were my pads. anyhow i will have to bring my car for a state inspection and will have my mechanic look at everything.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by krnsleeper
I haven't had any serious problems with the car such as tranny failure but i have had my rotors warped at like 12,000 miles. I took it to the dealer and yelled at them and they fixed it for free. Then when i went to pick it up they brought the wrong car out and they were like here's your car and i was like "no that's not my car!" and they were like "yes it is." Then with a sarcastic voice i asked, "then why is my car up on the rack without wheels on it? I think i could see my exhaust and the decals i have on it from here and could recognize my own car." then they were like "OH" and gave me a free oil change.
Was it an NSX?? I'd have said, Oh, THANKS and driven off figuring it was an upgrade for all my problems! Then waited for the call!!! :wow: Then I'd say wellll YOU insisted, so now YOU flatbed my car here and I'll let you take my NEW car. I bet though it was an old Integra and you didn't want to bother.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by ABLUETYPES78
kennelm - for your new pads...do you have a part number as nick has listed. my dealer is saying that they may develop new pads as they go along in production but a new pad that is out now...he was not aware of it at all. but its definetely the pads that cause this problem. best thing to do is not to drive hard and brake hard. all they replaced were my front rotors...rear were fine and so were my pads. anyhow i will have to bring my car for a state inspection and will have my mechanic look at everything.
Front:

1 x 45022-S0K-A11 Pad Set
2 x 45251-S0X-000 Disk (16", 28T)

Rear:

1 x 43022-SP0-020 Pad Set
2 x 42510-SCV-A00 Disk

BTW, is the rotor really 16 inches? Could the rotor really be as big as the wheel itself?!?
Old 06-11-2003, 06:38 PM
Instructor

no its was a mistake....same size as old ones...thanks for the info
Old 06-12-2003, 12:49 PM
8th Gear

There's something to this. Do the Odysseys and MDX's have the same problem? They use the same rotors on those cars. If they don't have the same problem, then perhaps the problem is somewhere else in the braking system. Master cylinder? Don't know! But just something to ponder.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by jbs221
I didn't realize at first what my problem was until my friend said I should get my brakes checked. Then I found the threads here. I'm getting them serviced this week, will report results.
I'm at 14K miles 2002 TL-S.
I had noticed the vibration and thought I might need a wheel balancing. Uhoh!
Took me longer than anticipated, but had it serviced today. They machined the rotors and put on new "non-warp causing" break pads on all 4 corners. I'm hoping it does more than just get me past the warranty period. While I was at it had them fix the sunroof squeak for a second time, first fix lasted about a year. They used "Honda squeak reduction tape", love the name of that product! And complained about the inaccuracy of the outdoor temperature gauge. They found it 3 degrees off and calibrated it, yet they still gave me a RTFM printout. :yack:
When will they stop blaiming the customer for their lousy product!
Santa Monica Acura.

Joe in LA
SSM TL-S 2002 15K miles
Old 06-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Those with cross drilled rotors, any warpage since it was installed?
I noticed the crossdrilled rotors for sale in this site. Any warranty issues to date?
I am just so frustrated with these rotor warpage and dealers giving all the excuses not to replace them or replacing them with the same quality.
Any info......many thanks........juniel
Old 06-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Advanced

I refurfaced my 2000tl 3 times already and am really frustrated with most dealers giving all kinds of excuses refusing to replace the rotors with better quality ones.
Those with cross drilled rotors I wish to consult please.
So the rotors never warped since you last replaced them? If yes, any warranty benefit from buying these cross drilled rotors when warped?
Any info, thank you.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Advanced

I refurfaced my 2000tl 3 times already and am really frustrated with most dealers giving all kinds of excuses refusing to replace the rotors with better quality ones.
Those with cross drilled rotors I wish to consult please.
So the rotors never warped since you last replaced them? If yes, any warranty benefit from buying these cross drilled rotors when warped?
Any info, thank you.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:15 AM
Banned

Originally posted by TWong1200
There's something to this. Do the Odysseys and MDX's have the same problem? They use the same rotors on those cars. If they don't have the same problem, then perhaps the problem is somewhere else in the braking system. Master cylinder? Don't know! But just something to ponder.
My brother has an '01 MDX and at under 30k miles had to have the rotors resurfaced.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:25 PM
3rd Gear

why not get a new rotor? rotor that isnt made from acura..
Old 06-19-2003, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
So what is the Acura's stance on this. Do they replace or repair this problem under warranty?

I have 2002 TL-S w/ 30k mi. and I have the shaking steering wheel when bracking (warpped rotor).
Old 06-19-2003, 10:54 AM
Instructor

driver - yes it is covered under warranty...but its bound to happen again...better off with aftermarket rotors and brake pads....acura rotors and brake pads suxxx!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
ABLUETYPES78 - Are you sure they are covered under warranty? I'm afraid they'll tell me it's wear and tear so they won't cover. Also someone had said it's only covered for 12k miles.

Could we demand they replace rather then repair? I'm really sick of this car. For my 30K mile maintenance I had list of issues one page long for the to look at.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:50 AM
Instructor

yes it is covered because its a defect...the pads they probably will not replace for free at this point....my service manager said they were covered until warranty expires 7yrs or 100,000 miles
Old 06-23-2003, 09:51 AM
Banned

6785 here
Old 06-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my rotors are warped at 3000 miles. But then again, I drive my car to hell and back. Dealer did it under warranty.

Car would shake when slowing down from 75 MPH-55 MPH

Quick Reply: Rotor problems petition - PLEASE READ