REV goes up but gears don't shift

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 10:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
REV goes up but gears don't shift

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Acura TL 2003 in October when it was at around 174,000 miles. When i was on the way to home, i got a lot of jerks, so i cleaned up A/T clutch pressure control solenoid A and B, and A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valve C. There was lot of gum inside screen filters, and i also change transmission fluid. It was dark. After that, i drove the car smoothly. However, the problem came back to me. I started cleaning both A/T clutch pressure solenoid A and B, and valve C, and did another transmission oil change.The car was smooth again, then the problem came back. This time, there weren't any jerks, but the rev went up but the gears didn't shift. So, i repeated cleaning those solenoids and another transmission oil change because i believed the old transmission fluid which had screen filters logged still was in there. When i did the forth transmission fluid change, i also replaced 3rd clutch pressure switch and 4th clutch pressure switch. However, the problem came back after 1 week, the problem did not happen often just sometime, the rev went up, gears didn't shift which caused engine light and TCS light on. I had to do another cleaning up of both solenoids and still found some gum in there. The transmission fluid was still red. Sum up, i did 5 transmission fluid changes, cleaned up those solenoid many times. Every time, i clean those solenoids, i have to take part everything, but i don't buy it when there is still gum in there. Once, twice, even three times is ok to me. However, i can't keep cleaning those solenoid every week because the issue with rev going up but gears don't shift often happens around one week after the day of cleaning solenoid. So i posted my issues here to receive any suggestions or solutions. I don't want to sell my car. This is my first car, i learned a lot from fixing it.
Thank everyone for reading my post.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
HI! I think that choosing this as a first car might not have been the best idea; these cars though nicely equipped; do have a notorious problem with the transmission; heck even Honda acknowledged it and extended the warranty on them as a result.

It's highly likely the transmission in your car is pretty much done for; and the very little clutch material on whatever (though likely 3rd) gear will continue to wear; contaminate your fluid, block passages and exasperate the issue (and possibly you) further.

I'm not sure how comfortable you are with doing major work on cars; but I can really only see two routes:
  • $$$$ pay a shop to remove, rebuild and install your transmission; they will say they can rebuild it so it will last; but that's not really possible given that it's a fundamental design flaw
  • try to remove, replace the transmission yourself (to save money) in which
    • $$$$ you can try get a rebuilt transmission of your own which will cost money and have the same life expectancy
    • $$ you can research how to replace it with the transmission from a 2003-2007 accord V6 (dubbed the AV6) BAYA transmission code.
    • $$$ You can find this transmission and try to find a small independent shop who will install it (if you do your due diligence and provide all the necessary parts/documentation to do so)
Check out this thread on the topic; It is by far the most viewed and most precious resource in this forum:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...n-swap-905115/

feel free to share your thoughts...here to help.
The following users liked this post:
brianmystery (01-01-2022)
Old 12-23-2021, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
I had similar problem but only when car start and in cold weather. I replaced external transmission filter and it helped a lot.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bbsitum
I had similar problem but only when car start and in cold weather. I replaced external transmission filter and it helped a lot.
I already changed the transmission filter with the first transmission oil change. Until now, i am lazy about cleaning these solenoid. The code P0730 becomes more common to me. I am really really frustrated and irritated.
Old 01-01-2022, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-while-991193/ Here is my tread. You only need to clean parallel solenoid, one at top. I do not think that one at side can go plugged. It has 3 times wider screen than 3 screens at top. And it is question if will it help. Cleaning solenoids help against tranny slip not against incorrect gear ratio.