resurface aftermarket drilled/slotted rotor??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
resurface aftermarket drilled/slotted rotor??

Can aftermarket rotors likr irotor rotors be resurfaced if they are slotted and drilled. I think mine are warping after around 5-7k. starting to get expencive with these ****tty brakes!
Old 02-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Advanced

I've asked the question before to my mechanic. Shops need to have a special resurfacing tool in order to do it. It'll cost more than regular resurfacing. It's probably cheaper to buy a new set of rotors, that is, unless you have Porsche or the like with big dollars rotors.
MT
Old 02-25-2004, 11:16 AM
Racer

these brakes suck, I am not spending thousands or some brembo big brakes just so they do not warp. I do not care if they stop better then stock, I just hate the stearing wheel shaking, feels like I am driving a old piece of junk. Feels unsave too!!!!!
Old 02-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Advanced

Do you feel a big difference when you switched to cross-drilled/slotted rotors in terms of braking distance? With the problem with warping in our cars, I don't think cross-drilled rotors are a good idea - slotted ones are justified as they vent the vaporization of the pads. Since you're losing area on the rotors with the cross-drilled rotors, the caliper would have to clamp down harder in order to brake the same distance. The higher clamping force translates into more heat generated and therefore increases your chances of warpage. Also since they are expensive to buy and maintain, do yourself and favor and buy the OEM replacement ones.

MT
Old 02-25-2004, 07:18 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
Take special care when buying cross-drilled rotors. Some irresponsible shops will simply drill holes in the oem, not special treated or strenghtened, rotors and sell them as "cross-drilled rotors". If the oem rotors are prone to warp, drilling holes in them make them warp even easier, because there are now less metal to dissipate the heat generated from brakings. In fact, other than warping, these "cross-drilled" oem rotors will also crack and fall apart under heavy use.