Resonator delete!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Resonator delete!

So yesterday after getting my hood schocks and popping them in I decided to do a little spring cleaning on my car. Amongst a whole bunch of minor stuff I decide to take out the resonator, and have to say WOW! The difference in sound at WOT when vtec kicks in is awesome! And not really and difference at lower RPM range. I have to say this is one of the best free mods I've ever seen. Also taking off the bumper couldn't be any easier, aside from some tight squeezes I did the whole thing in about an hour, pretty good for my 1st time I think.

Anyway I have a couple of Q's. First was I supposed to keep the joint between the airbox and resonator? Seeing as how its bolted to resonator I dont see how that would even be possible. 2nd is there any chance of me getting water up in the intake now if it rains? I know a kid who slurped a bunch of water with his CAI but that think went all the down into his bumper so I dont think I have too much to worry, just thought I'd ask.

I managed to get it out with only taking my bumper 1/2 off, I had to also undo some of the clips for the wheel well cover, but overall pretty straight forward.

Next easy/cheap mod Legend Calipers!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
water is not an issue because the handy drain slits on the lower cover- you would have to be in several feet of water to reach the air inlet to the box
If you mean the small plastic piece that stuck when box removed- yank it with plier and it comes right out
a HI flow air filter will reap gains now since it has more flow.
The engine can now draw air from several cubic feet instead of that tiny opening!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
or jus go buy a cold air.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Team Owner

this works VERY well, adds far more available air to the air filter which is pulled thru with engine vacuum-suction
It also has no buzz or outward noise giveaway, until you hit vtec and it sounds good~
Underhood inspection shows no signs of a modification and it passes smog without issue.
For the free mod vs $200++
this is a winner IMO
Stealthy!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

Yeah dude CAI doesnt do crap for a stock motor most of the time. Our type-s intake is sufficient till you go for a turbo or SC setup. But I gotta say makes the engine sound GREAT at high RPM.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:34 PM
The Talk of New York

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea I just got my resonator removed a few days ago, and although I do like the sound it makes when I hit vtec, it makes a really annoying sound when idling...
Old 04-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

Its like a hum right? I had that too, make sure your airbox lines up as best as it can, after wrestling with mine i reduced the hum by alot, almost inaudible in the car even with the windows open.

Also, while the airbox is definatlely secure, it does have some play in it now, can this be a bad thing?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:44 AM
10th Gear

hah me too!

sounds like you were like me last night chillin on acurazine, found the DIY section and off we went. i personally like this DIY, made me fall in love with my car all over again.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
So you removed the bottom resonator? And you water wont get sucked into it unless you're in some deep water?
Old 04-18-2008, 01:31 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm, i noticed a humming on mine after i did the resonator removal on the intake too. is that because of the way i bolted my intake back up?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

Basically, if the top of the airbox doesnt line up with the bottom you'll have air moving through causing a hum, also possibly letting contaminants into the motor. After making sure that everything sat like it should the hum became much less noticeable.

And no, it would be very hard for water to get up where the air inlet is. I think it would even be more probable to get water into a CAI if you hit a puddle. I've seen this happen, very unpleasant, you hear intake slurp like a straw and the next thing you know, engine stop dead.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:27 AM
DECEPTICON

Originally Posted by thisisnotdave
And no, it would be very hard for water to get up where the air inlet is. I think it would even be more probable to get water into a CAI if you hit a puddle. I've seen this happen, very unpleasant, you hear intake slurp like a straw and the next thing you know, engine stop dead.
without a doubt - my Injen sucked up about a gallon last year and hydro-locked the engine....luckily the situation was easily remedied...luckily lol
Old 04-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

I dont understand why there is a box alignment issue-
I removed the 10mm bolt holding the lower resonator in- pulled the entire lower box, and then its small plastic elbow that stayed behind came out with a yank on the pliers!
Since you now have the 4 inch hole open on the bottem of the stock airbox- no hum or other noises should be happening
If you measure the distance from the ground to the bottem of the airbox- thats how deep water has to be in order to get to the air filter and engine- thats stranded in flooded to your waist height~
at which point the car is the last of your concerns--- as the news helicopter watches you get airlifted off the roof- after the rushing water has removed all your clothing!
very bad situation overall
On a cai- they stick the opening to the thing right down low-- inches off the ground-
bad scene man- everything gets there-
and you are limited in intake VOLUME of air- with the removed res box- that whole area below the filter box is now an air chamber for the engine to draw as much as it wants to.