Resolution to Tranny problem! YES!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 11:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Ali

actually its already in the newspaper However this board has helped me alot in getting to know Acura TL's and I like to have knowledge of as many cars out there.
Kudos. So did you know that the TL has a tranny problem before you bought the car or did you feel like buying it because most people here loves them?

Old 07-15-2002, 06:02 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BLEXV6L

For what it's worth, the G35 owners on the freshalloy web site seem to be having their fair share of problems too including rattles.
I'm not trying to flame on you in any way but, we can't start on comparing what car has what problems. The fact is, cars aren't suppose to have these problem, these problems aready shoul've been taken car off on the drawing board way before production. And if Nissan has this "teething problems" they will have to pay for it. As Acura paying the price for tranny problem

yo
Originally posted by STi

anyways, i'm saying, many people have bad experience with cars, and you may have been lucky, most cars are not perfect
i stated that you're quite lucky because on most car-forums, they have their share of problems, including me
mind you, not only my 330Ci has been a pain in the rear end (to fix, that is, but it is sweet stuff to wind out in the mountains)
and my friend bought a E46 328i when it first came out
second day his car was in the shop for an engine replacement, he waited 2 weeks, so would you appreciate us coming to you and say your M3's a POS? i think not
oh wait, why do i have a 320i in my garage now? oh yes, they took out my transmission taken out and waiting for a new one IN BACKORDER
i know what it feels like, in fact, i feel worse that you're feeling, why? because 330Ci cost a lot more, but whatever, cars have faults

oh and the other thing, my door handle had some problem being very hard to open, so they took it off and found that they had no parts, so put it back together and told me to wait 1 week, and turns out they screwed it up, the doors would opens sometimes and sometimes not!! anyways, 1 week later they told me the parts were in and told me to get my car there, when i was there, guess what, they told me the parts weren't here and that they made a mistake
only 2 weeks later did the parts actually come and the door was fixed
oh by the way, my car is 1 yr and 2 months old, 12000miles

To me you get what u pay for...sorry to hear that ur 330 has problems, you might feel worse taht you paid more, but look at it this way, you pay 10K more for the car, you will keep it for 5 years, making it an extra 2K each year. This 2K pays for your superior handling, superior braking, superior suspension, RWD, better gear ratios, 50/50 weight ratio. Euro cars have always cost more to maintain then import cars. Ur friends E46 was in the shop for engine replacement...how many other E46 had their engines replaced? 15%? I see ur 320i has a back order tranny...well i decided to do a search over at DTMPOWER.NET for "transmission failure" & "tranny failure" and i don't see very much tranny failures at all.

yo
Originally posted by STi

why all dealers can be rude but not Acura?
All dealers CAN'T be rude...not even Acura. I went to 5 different Acura Dealers before i got my car, 3 of them were rude...they were either too aggressive sellers, lying, or cheating salemans. Saleman told me that he give me 5% APR, we get the papers out and it says 9%, this is not a mistake! This slezy saleman is giving Acura a bad name. Because of this i almost change my mind and went with lexus..but for 32K, i can't get a comparable car from lexus...so back to Acura i go.

yo
Originally posted by hunter001

My 2000 TL has been absolutely trouble-free since day 1. Almost 30K miles now. No tranny issues, no engine issues, no rotor warping, no nothing. Absolutely fabulous car. My WRX is also equally trouble-free.
I'm glad to hear that some of TL owners are satisfied. Most of use want to hear good things about TLs, but not all of us have good experience with our TLs.
I am one who is not very happy with it. Reasons why i bring my car to the dealers:
1) Center Console Popping Up
2) CD Changer Jams
3) Auto Window switch doesn't work
4) Sunroof Rattle
5) Insuffient charge battery
6) Bumper color doesn't match *WDP*
7) Glove compartent Rattle
8) Passenger side sqeak
9) Passenger seat rattle
10) Sunroof sqeek
11) Rear deck rattle
12) windshield rattle
13)Warped rotors
14)Uneven tail pipes
15) CD player doesn't play track 2
16) Window tape jacked up
17) I have 4 different paint scratches from the mechanic, 2 on my left fender when he replaced the batter, 1 on my door where he tried to put the key in the lock but missed and hit the paint, 1 next to the licnese plate where they managed to back up into something.

To me i don't care if it's 2% or 15% or more....i have these problems therefore it's 100% for me. Don't say that i'm picky about these rattles and sqeaks...they are noticeable and annoying...i don't want to have my radio on everytime i am in the car to drown out the noise.

I don't mean in any way to pick on or flame on anyone, this post is based off my humble opinion and my experience with my TLS.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:04 AM
Pro

Originally posted by silver03TL

Kudos. So did you know that the TL has a tranny problem before you bought the car or did you feel like buying it because most people here loves them?

I don't think that he knew that the 2000 TL had a tranny problem before he bought it....and i don't konw of many people who asked themselfs "Oh....is the tranny gonna break?" Most of the tranny problems are on the TLS.

Most people here love their TL is because they own them. Nissan owner will probably love their Nissans too. TL people here bash on the G35 and the G35 people over there bash on the TL.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:09 AM
Pro

I was referring to this .

If they give you attitude for calling, maybe you should go the next step by talking to the dealership manager or write a letter to Acura about how you were treated at that specific dealership.

:o
There shouldn't be "IF they give you attitude" in the first place! It's not aceptable for any dealer to be rude. HOw does this make honda/acura loook?
Old 07-15-2002, 06:16 AM
Pro

Originally posted by STi
this is an american built car, how much can you expect? and since when did a 250+hp car that pulls .85g on the track can sell for the TL's price AND be all trouble free? it took me 6 months to fix all the rattles in my 330Ci, are you going to bash that now? and how about my friend's SL500 (2003) that blew and engine and the rattles he just doesn't bother to fix anymore? come'on guys, i think you guys had way too good luck with your previous cars, and i envy that, but i face the truth, a car is made with many parts and screws, i don't expect a perfect car, but at least it should be worth the money, and i think the TL is worth the money
i don't care about out-of-warranty problems now becausei sell my cars when the warranty expires so...
i think some of you exagerate when you say that the acura people telling you to *beep* off, i know some sales reps may be rude, and many dealers are terrible, but there are good ones, and i don't think you can blame Honda for this
like i mentioned before, i've been to crappy MB showrooms, and i've met some very disrespectful reps from some BMW dealers, but i don't blame them, some people are jerks, they don't live happy, and whatever, not my business

i'm just interested where did you get acura's quote of tranny failures?
Most of us paid 32K for our TL...32K might not be a lot of you...but to the people who don't make alot of money, who work hard and save up their money to buy a perfect car 32K is alot. For 32K i expect a nearly perfect car.
Yes, the car is made out of parts and screws. Each part and screw should go through quality control before they are used. Each built car should go through quality contorl before they are sold.
Some of us aren't lucky like you to sell our cars when the warranty runs out. Most problems don't occur until warranty runs out...but having ur tranny fail for first couple weeks is not acceptable. Acura TL is a luxury car. I guess Acura does a good job of "redefining luxury"
Old 07-15-2002, 06:22 AM
Pro

Originally posted by BLEXV6

Just remember, the dealership is not the one paying for the tranny, Honda is. Now perhaps the dealer worded the complaint properly to get the new tranny, but don t forget the dealer would not be doing it if they were not being paid to do so by Acura. Also, since you did not buy the TL @ that dealership you are extremely lucky.

Get down on your hands and knees and thank your lucky stars, as you really have no proof how your transmission was cared for and used.
Yes, honda does pay for any warranty work. But the dealer decided wheather to do it or not. The dealer would get paid for doing so, they know how to write it up to get paid for the part even though it's not covered under warranty. U beg to differ? Let me prove to you...all of us have heard about warped rotors...well, some dealers will replace rotors and pads, some dealers will just resurface the rotors, while other dealer will not do JACK! Some dealers are AS$ and some are not...the 2 closest dealer to me are AS$, i have to drive 45 min to the nearest NICE dealer to get all my warranty service done.

It doesn't matter if you have proof that you cared for the tranny or not...some guy with a RSX-S 6 speed mishifted and jacked up his engine, under warranty honda replaced it. Warranty work gives the dealers mechanics work to do.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:30 AM
Pro

Originally posted by STi
you kept flaming acura, and telling people here that their cars are POS that have POS transmission, well you know what? 98% of people here don't appreciate that because these cars have a 2% transmission failure rate, so what you say makes less experienced auto buyers scared, because once you own many cars and join many different auto groups, you'll understand that these problems are everywhere
if you want to flame, flame the crappy dealers that disrespected you, but that kind of dealers are everywhere, not just acura, some MB ones are terrible, and so are some BMWs
you just have to find a dealer that you can trust and depend on, not wasting time online scaring off potential buyers of this car
all cars have problems, go buy some expensive cars and you will see, squeaks, rattles are always there, but these mechanical problems aren't as uncommon as you think
i agree that honda has a bombproof reputation, and this incident probably disappoints you, well, i'm sorry to hear you misfortune, i just hope that you do not go around the TL forum that 98% of the people that their cars have POS transmissions when they don't

i'm not flaming you by any means, now that your car is fixed, i hope everything goes well for you, good luck
First off..only you don't appreciate him here, i don't see anyone else complaining. Second, not 2%, more like 15% tranny failure this is not including tranny failure for the CLS. Third, this is a forum, you say what is on ur mind...and saying the tranny is a POS is totally valid. He's not in any way lying. The consumer has a right to know about potential problems before they buy the car...it's better for them to know now then for them to find out when they already bought the car. The tranny is a real POS you konw why? Not only the TLS has tranny failure, but our brothers the CLS also has tranny failure and 6th generation Accord V6 ...so don't tell me this is a isolated problem, it seems to be a plateform problem.

A guy over the Acura-CL forum who is a Acura mechanic says that they get 10-15 TL tranny failures per month

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

Acura sells about 3,000 TL/month, at 15% failure rate, that is 450 tranny failure a month. And if your one of those 450 UNLUCKY person PER month then i wouldn't call that misfortune...i call that POS tranny
Old 07-15-2002, 06:35 AM
Pro

Dude, I don't get it, your car will be fixed and since you have such hate against Acura automobiles and dealerships, but a lot of love for BMW's, why don't you just sell the TL once it gets fix? I think everyone will be hella happy after that.

Well not everyone wants to go through the hassle of buying and sellling over and over....But for all the hatred againt honda/acura your idea of selling the TL isn't half bad....check this out. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1839627939

If i had another 10K i would sell my TL and get a BMW
Old 07-15-2002, 07:22 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by AcuraTLFan

Well not everyone wants to go through the hassle of buying and sellling over and over....But for all the hatred againt honda/acura your idea of selling the TL isn't half bad....check this out. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1839627939

If i had another 10K i would sell my TL and get a BMW

Sounds like the guy had a bad experience with Honda scooters, but that shouldn't lead him to sell his NSX and S2000........

Old 07-17-2002, 07:29 PM
Advanced

got car back today...New tranny torque converter had gone bad and they just changed the whole thing...Everything good except i have to clean my entire interior cause it's all nastsy from the mechanics black hands but can't complain too much got a free tranny.

PS don't forget i offered the service manager jewelry at wholesake prices to have this done for free..at first he was like maybe we can do it for free but then after we whipped out my dads business cards his eyes went bling bling and he was like all make sure this is done

pss we also offer some of or merchandise at wholesale on our website too but just some and they are all diamond stuff www.abbasiinc.com
Old 07-17-2002, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Amir very glad to here you got your car back. I'm still stuck with my POS rental and the dealer today informs me the F#$%ed up the order and got a 99 tl's tranny for me so I'll be yet another week till I get my car back I'm so pi$$ed off.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by aMiR

pss we also offer some of or merchandise at wholesale on our website too but just some and they are all diamond stuff www.abbasiinc.com
Hey, you have some really nice stuff there.
Old 07-17-2002, 08:57 PM
STi
Racer

AcuraTLFan:
i quoted 2%, because this was quoted by a moderator here who worked with oblio to come up with that, so....

32K is a lot to me
actually, i pain something like 25K here in Canada for a Type-S, pretty good deal
a lot of money, i never said it's little, i save up my money as well, took me a long time for the BMW, but i'm not upset, i understand cars have problems, i accept that fact
32K is a lot, but not enough to make a perfect car, even at bmw's price, or mb's for that matter, many mbs have problems, and how much do they cost? be more open and accept these things, if the problems piss you off, then complain, get them fixed, if they don't fix it good, o well, they're dealers, what do they care? there are always crappy dealers

what i meant is that people think by buying those expensive cars, it's not supposed to happen, but no, problems do occur, peopl cant expect too much, and i understand why a BMW transmission can be backordered, why? becuase these things don't break down that often, so why stock up?

when you have a trouble-free car, that is just a miracle and you should be so grateful, because most others have problems here and there

i never said i don't like emeraldTL, i wish him good luck on his new car as well, but i just don't think he or Ali should go to all the other threads and rub this in everyone's face, because MOST people, i don't mean everyone, dopn't have a tranny problem, what they're doing is just scaring the crap out of the other TLers, making them scared to drive their car which are perfectly fine...
i don't go to bmw forums or other forums and rub my bad luck history in their faces, a lot of people don't, because why? when you own several cars, you accept the fact
mechanical things fail occasionally, it's a fact, i can live with it, i don't know why many peopl cant
Old 07-17-2002, 09:10 PM
Instructor

STI You think I wrong for being pissed off that my TL with it's only 34 k miles is sitting broken a$$ down and has been for over a week. and I'm supost to just except that ever car in the world is built with edngeering flaws like this POS acura tl is. Sorry no car I've ever owned a car with this poor quality before and yes while other cars do have some trouble, 10 to 15 % of tl's and Cl's loosing their transmitions, 75% having warped rotors is not aceptable its a discrace. so don't tell me I'm worn for feeling my tl that I spent a good chuck of money on shouldn't have as many problems as it dose. The amont of troble I've had is total bull and then the dealership sitting on my car and waiting to fix it just fuels me up more. My plan of action not is to buy some cheap lemon paint and paint all over my pos tl what a lemon and I will for sure go to the dealership ever single saturday and park in the parking lot for as long as I can then just drive up and down the street and let others know not to buy. I will also write an article and send it to every magizine and news paper in the country to try to stop fellow shoppers from the rip off I have goten in to. and I have full intentions of continue to slam this pos car everwhere I can find on the net to try to help others avoid this crappy car.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:28 PM
Advanced

emerald speak up brother...i wish i had known u before i bought mine. even though it's fixed now and they gave me a year warranty on the new tranny, i'm still scared to even get in that car let alone drive it!
I hope it sells soon

anyhow thanks for the comment n the website... btw i designed it too
Old 07-17-2002, 09:28 PM
STi
Racer

i understand your pain!!
my 330Ci costed my long time to save up, 40K
and the transmission blew, you think i'm not mad? my friend's 325i's engine blew, you think he's not mad? my firned's cousin's e320's engine blew, you thyink he's not mad? none of our cars were modified, we're pissed, but we don't go rubbing it in everyone's(who owns the cars we own) faces
shiet happens, it's sad, it's piss-off, but shiet happens...
many people here just bought a car thinking it's their dream car then you come along telling them they bought crappy cars, com'on
many of them will drive their TLs lots of miles without trouble, but what you're doing it scaring them out of their pants
like i said, i know your pain, i'm sorry this happend to you, and i hope you have good things with your new mb
Old 07-18-2002, 07:57 AM
Instructor

STI I too bought my TL thinking it a dream car and yes I feel I should post here my troubles and my true opinion of the car, as this web site right here is the deciding factor in me getting my TL. I hope to make any prospective buyer take a second thought on the car before shelling over their hard earned money. Yes I am up set with the quality of the car and if you think that's me telling you your car is a piece of junk then so be it. I only hope to never have anyone else go though what I've gone though.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:05 AM
Banned

worried

with 500 miles left on my factory warranty, I am worried about what will happen if my tranny goes. I already brought it in for some slippage in 2nd and 3rd. They performed a trans service under warranty. My fear is that they are just prolonging the inevitable. I still feel a slip now and then, however nothing substantial enough enough to warrant a trip to the dealer. Next time I bring my car in, I guess I will have to inquire about an extended warranty. I don't feel I should have to though, considering I now have a history with this trans.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:31 PM
STi
Racer

i know it sucks, but stuff like this happens to EVERY car from EVER companies, so now are you trying to say that we should all just stop buying cars? no
have you ever been speeding when you drive? probably, do you know you might have been caught? yes, but did you speed? probably
have you eaten fast food? most likely, did you know those things could get you killed or seriously ill? of course, did you eat fast food? most likely, do you still eat fast food? probably

come'on, things like this you never know, most people here will go through life without having any problems with their TLs, so why make them be scared that their car may give them crap the next time they take it out? life is too short for that
Old 07-18-2002, 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

since its known that german cars are plagued with electrical problems...we cant buy those. american cars break down quickly...cant buy those. japanese cars got issues of their own...cant buy those. wha am i left w/.......maybe i should go out and buy a bicycle!!!

The fact of the matter is that eahc brand of car has its own problems. You think 32K gets you a perfect car?!?!? I'm totally with you in that Acura does need to look at their trannys but dont think that 32K will get you a problem free car. In that case...100K for some S500 .... who needs the warrenty?
Old 07-18-2002, 06:48 PM
Instructor

wow I guess that's one way to put it.

Now here is the actuality of owning a TL. There is a design flaw in the transmition, not something that is speratic, but more comon place. Do most cars have some problems, yes they do, most car companies when they find that have a problem as serious as the tranny issue with Acura they issue recalls

so while every car if you keep it long enough will have trouble, but when a company relizes something like this with the trannys they should do more, much more. Not have service departments act like it's the first TL with a blown tranny they have ever seen. Possible have an information sheet to hand out addressing the problems with the TL's and outlining what they have done to resolve the issue and mostly Acura should place a 50k mile warranty on the new tranny

all of which they do not do and make this something that all TL owners should be aware of and new buyers should weigh in the decisions.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:34 PM
Ali
Advanced

well STi your problem with the 330 and your friend's problem with the 325 might be serious, and you can go and complain in any BMW forums you want. BUT the thing is i havent heard any other cases of BMW trannies giving out (they're ZF now, very strong) now older E36 trannies were'nt as good as they are today's but my friends 1992 325i with 200k miles is still on his original auto tranny (he drives it really really really hard!) The only problems i've heard of being widespread with BMW's is the new E46 M3's motors (2001 early models) and new E65 7's have alot of weird problems (as expected with first year cars, and BMW fixes all of them under warranty and gives you a loaner car while they do it) and BMW has fixed all these cars under warranty and for the E46 M3's there have only been 15 cases reported (there is a registry) and BMW has fixed all of them...
Old 07-19-2002, 12:42 PM
STi
Racer

i never said the TL's transmission doesn't have a flaw, but everyone here knows about it, but we all are still driving them everyday, so what you're doing is making a lot of us go though in mind what we don't want to and possibly will not happen! that sucks

anyways, they towed my car to the dealer and the rep said that it was completely my fault because bmw had no transmission failure in the past (obvious bs) and that he hoped not see me again because i probably drive like a mad man and that i'll kill myself some day driving or some crap, well my car's all stock, even still on stock rubber, and what do i have to take for a flaw in the car? this sucks, but this is not bmw's fault, it's the dealers fault
my friend's cousin with the e320 and a blown got the same issue, the service guy just kept on *****ing about him not treating the car right, well he babies his car, wash it a lot, drive real careful, and he gotta take this **** from the dealer, now who's talking about acura's service sucks?

i would go complain about the dealer, but i do not complain bmw for having the rattles that took me 6 months to partially remove, or my blown transmission, why should you guys blame acura for a car that is priced so much lower? if you don't like it, sell it before the warranty goes, tell us what happend, and not go around making a scene in every thread please
Old 07-19-2002, 09:34 PM
Advanced

ahem ahem..... new tranny starting again after 3 days ali felt it slipping today again....why why why why..good thing it has a 1 year warranty now i must sell this pos!!!!
Old 07-19-2002, 11:55 PM
STi
Racer

when one tranny is screwed up, they don't replace it, they remanufacure it, which makes it highly unreliable

since you guys had such bad luck, sell that thing