Replacing Battery Terminal Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Battery Terminal Connectors

I installed a new battery in my car but I made a small error. The negative post still had its black cover on it, but it was kind of dark in my garage and I did not notice it. I put the terminals back on and went to start the car. It would not work so I took off the cables, and that is when I noticed what I had done. I put the connectors on again, and tightened it up all the way, but the negative terminal connector is really loose. I can easily twist it with a couple of fingers. Is there a way to replace the terminal connector? How hard is it to do? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
go to auto parts stores and get new ones. You can buy them and they install easy
Old 12-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Sounds like you got the wrong battery. The terminals are the wrong size.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Sounds like you got the wrong battery. The terminals are the wrong size.
kinda agree, but why does the positive fit but not the neg?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
If you want to replace the stock negative battery terminal, you'll have to cut off the old one first. Then you'll have to trim back about 3/8" of the insulation so you can expose the wires and terminate it into your new terminal. Most new terminals will require that you crimp the cable to it. There are some you can use a set screw to hold the cable firmly in the terminal, and there are some that take ring terminals.
If you prefer not to cut off your stock terminal, you can shim it like some aftermarket terminals that can be used on both positive and negative battery terminals like the one shown here. For this particular terminal, you leave the shim in if it's to be used on the negative post, and you take out the shim if it's going to used on a positive post. For your particular situation, I suggest cutting a narrow strip of conductive sheet metal (use the continuity function of a voltmeter to find that out) about the thickness of the battery terminal and wrap it around your negitive post before clamping on the terminal. Ace Hardware sells brass in metal sheets, and that may be your best bet. Depending on the thickness of the sheet metal, don't use so much of it that the negitive terminal can't fit over it but enough that the negative terminal tightens down on the negative post and does not twist with your 2 finger test. You should also pull upwards on the terminal and make sure it does not slip off the post.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:00 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The connector strecthed out of shape when I put it on with the cap attached, and now it will not get tight and snug. I think I may just change out the battery cables, so I don't have to splice wires and everything. I just have to figure out how to get the negative cable disconnected from where it's grounded. Any ideas?