Rearview Mirror is leaking?!?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Smile.....you drive a TL!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rearview Mirror is leaking?!?!?!?!?!?

OMG!!! I cant believe this!!!!! The original problem was my rearview mirror was broken, it would not automatically dim anymore,but i would also like to say i contacted the manufacturer of the mirror as per another very useful thread here and they were very polite and shipped me a new Self dimming rearview mirror in the mail. I was on vacation when they mailed it and when i came home i was excited to see the mirror at my house but when I went to my car( i was gone for 2 weeks it was sitting in the shade the whole time) to install it, I noticed some black "tar" like substance all over my passenger seat and the middle console where the shifter was...I couldnt figure out what it was, until i looked at the mirror, THE THING WAS LEAKING!!! I couldnt believe it, and i have tried to get it out of the leather-carpet-console for 3 days now and NOTHING! I contacted the manufacturer and asked them what the liquid was, so maybe i could find something to dillute it and remove it but they havent responded yet. Has this happened to any1 else??? Or does an1 have a suggestion for me...all posts welcome...thanx alot fellas!
Old 06-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think this is a problem that a few of us have.. search it up.

if i remember correctly, i dont think anything takes it off. it is some sort of acid i believe.. i stains/burns into the material. i'll search and see what i can find.

good luck.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
best bet is to keep trying to contact teh manufacturer. try finding a phone # also.

bummer that it leaked inside the car
Old 06-30-2005, 06:58 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by arcangel79mc
OMG!!! I cant believe this!!!!! The original problem was my rearview mirror was broken, it would not automatically dim anymore,but i would also like to say i contacted the manufacturer of the mirror as per another very useful thread here and they were very polite and shipped me a new Self dimming rearview mirror in the mail. I was on vacation when they mailed it and when i came home i was excited to see the mirror at my house but when I went to my car( i was gone for 2 weeks it was sitting in the shade the whole time) to install it, I noticed some black "tar" like substance all over my passenger seat and the middle console where the shifter was...I couldnt figure out what it was, until i looked at the mirror, THE THING WAS LEAKING!!! I couldnt believe it, and i have tried to get it out of the leather-carpet-console for 3 days now and NOTHING! I contacted the manufacturer and asked them what the liquid was, so maybe i could find something to dillute it and remove it but they havent responded yet. Has this happened to any1 else??? Or does an1 have a suggestion for me...all posts welcome...thanx alot fellas!
try this--> https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...earview+mirror
Old 07-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Smile.....you drive a TL!

thanx bkzjimmy but i already have a new mirror i do need the DIY instructions tho it wouldnt let me get into them, but still searching for something to remove the stains
Old 07-02-2005, 10:33 AM
2Poor 2Furious

Take it to a professional upholstery place and see what they can do. You don't necessarily have to have them do it, but at least hear if they can do it rather than hunting around blindly for a solution. My guess is that if it's acid, there's no way to remove it since it pretty much burns the leather.