Rear window tape/trim ripples

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 05:47 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear window tape/trim ripples

The black window trim tape around my rear window is rippled in one spot on both the driver and passenger sides. It's not smooth all around. Anybody else have this problem? I can't see this being normal, but I bought my car used and it looked this way when I got it.

Dosen't really bother me that much, but I'm about to exceed my 50K warranty, and I was wondering if it's something I should get corrected for free.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

I do, but it's not a big deal for now--it's not like it's peeling or anything like that. Next time I bring my car for service in I'll probably mention about it...

Tony
Old 02-14-2002, 08:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Yup they'll fix it for free.
Old 02-14-2002, 08:24 PM
Racer

i had the same issue and acura replaced it under warranty
Old 02-14-2002, 08:36 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

I have this problem, i should get this fixed!!

@cUr@-TL
Old 02-14-2002, 08:45 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

DAMN!!!! I just realised that my warranty is over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i have three thing to get fixed!

my brakes, they make a little noise when i brake at low speed, like "eeek" "eeek".. dunno.

My window trim.. (ripple)

and the 2 little doors where the cup holder is! they dont close!! ?!

Damn...

@cUr@-TL
Old 02-15-2002, 03:56 PM
Banned

The Park Avenue guys said they've seen this problem before and although Acura will replace it under warranty, it is a lengthy process, as the whole door has to be disassembled. Expect to leave your car for the day at whichever dealer you take it to.
Old 02-16-2002, 01:04 PM
Jens

For those of you with wrinkled window tape.Make an appt. with your dealer but allow for time to fix this problem.WHat needs to done is the black decal needs to be removed all traces of adhesive removed and a new decal installed along with a few other mods to prevent a reoccurance.The front doors are not that bad to do but the rears require the entire door to be dis assembled because the vertical strip that locates the quarter window must be removed along with the quarter window.This is a time consuming often very frustrating job as the adhesive can be tenacious so allow plenty of time.If you have other issues with your car that were covered by Bulletins in the past but your car is out of warranty ask your dealer if they would consider "goodwilling " the work.A dealer can if willing "goodwill" a repair even if the car is out of warranty.All of these types of repairs must be approved by the district representative from Acura but if you have a good rapport with your dealer they can make the call.
Please remember that this is done solely at the discretion of the dealer if your vehicle is very old or has very high miles it is not likely they will do this.Also many dealers reserve this sort of "favor"for their customes who have been loyal to them.Jens
Old 02-17-2002, 11:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jens
If you have other issues with your car that were covered by Bulletins in the past but your car is out of warranty ask your dealer if they would consider "goodwilling " the work.A dealer can if willing "goodwill" a repair even if the car is out of warranty.
Jens, do you know if Acura sets a per-vehicle limit for goodwilling (is that even a word )? I know that Ford has two goodwill repairs max on each of their vehicles. When my Dad's Ford Ranger pickup was out of warranty (about 2,000 miles over the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty), the thermostat went. I lobbied on his behalf for them to fix it under warranty since it was only about 2 years timewise but 2K over the limit. The service manager was very nice and explained the whole goodwill thing to me, but said it was limited to two per vehicle, regardless of type/cost. He asked me to think about it and decide if I wanted to "waste" one of the goodwill repairs on a thermostat fix (a $40 do-it-yourself job). His reasoning was this: save the goodwill stuff for expensive repairs (like a transmission problem).

The only reason I bring this up is because if corporate Acura has a limit as to how many goodwill fixes they will peform on one car, I would hate to encourage anyone here to use their goodwill fix on a relatively minor (albeit cosmetically annoying) problem like wrinkled window trim or the like and then find that Acura's good will has "run out" if they try and approach them for something like a dead navi system (or worse, a dead tranny).
Old 02-18-2002, 09:19 AM
Instructor

I had the "ripple" problem twice. They fixed it both times. The service manager explained to me the second time that the fix is tedious. He said they had to bring in a window tinter from a local shop to do the fix. Thought that was kind of odd.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:03 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank god mine was replaced under warranty.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:08 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the same problem and my dealer said that they have done it before but the problem came back. They wanted to try something new with me. What they did was take the black material off the front and back and painted and clearcoated it. It took a few days, but now i dont have any nasty ripples and it looks just like stock. Me and VicNYCTL compared our two cars and they looked identical.
Old 02-27-2002, 10:23 AM
Racer

O.K.- I just dropped off my car and inquired about the window trim ripples. I had to call Acura's body shop. The guy said the trim needed to be re-painted and clear-coated, and he would need the car for 3-4 days. 3-4 days to repair something the size of a quarter? Sound like more hassle than it's worth. But it does look kinda crappy. And I'm still under warranty.

Is it worth it? (Yea, if they give me a MDX loaner for 3 days)
Old 02-27-2002, 10:56 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's worth it because they are not only painting that little section, they are painting the whole molding piece. I doubt you will get an MDX, but my dealer has been giving out TL's as lenders lately so you will be happy.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:15 AM
Racer

Last time they gave me a lime green, auto, 4-door Integra. I can't wait!!!

I think I will get the repair done next week.