Rear seat fold down MOD ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 09:13 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear seat fold down MOD ???

Has any one seen a kit for folding down the rear seats in the TL??

Could you just unbolt the seats and put them on hinges and clips?

Any Ideas would be helpful. Thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ain't gonna happen .... too complicated and impossible!
Old 07-16-2003, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
nothing is impossible!
Old 07-16-2003, 09:21 PM

I will have it done! I don't know when, or how yet, but I assure you I will get it done and keep everyone updated.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i wonder y they didn't make it fold? the accord has a folding rear seat, and both cars are built on the same platform.... from the trunk the cars are almost identical... even the size of the cut out where the rear pass through would be if the seat were to fold down....
Old 07-16-2003, 11:46 PM
A$IAN_CHICKEN

I think I've seen it done before, don't remember where. Somewhere on this site I believe. Anyone do a search?
Old 07-16-2003, 11:53 PM
Banned

It doesn't fold down because there is a structure frame behind those seats that adds to less body roll for the TL. The Accord doesn't have that. Also there is too much padding in the seats for you to fold it down. Lets just say you don't take those problems into consideration. If you gotten the bottom part on hinges, how are you going to keep the top part locked, like it does in my Accord? If you guys wanted a split/fold seat, should have gotten the Accord, or a SUV.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:34 AM

Come on it sounds like you expect every mod to be easy. Plus the seatbelt if it is done up would hold the seat up. even if you wanted to unbolt/fold down/remove your rear seat for sound competition SPL. The entire concept from the Accord could be taken with the push button lock on the top of the seat and the hinges.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:46 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if you cut the steel braces from behind the seat you will loose major structual rigidity of the car. You will encounter more roll and possible stress fractures on the fram or body of the car from the extra movement and freedom of the rear cut area. The accord was designed with this in mind. Juts because the accord and tl share the same platform doesnt mean they are the same car. You can really screw up a lot of things for fold down seats. In the long run you would be better off buying a car with them then making it and repairing the car you own now.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ResidualFreedom
Come on it sounds like you expect every mod to be easy. Plus the seatbelt if it is done up would hold the seat up. even if you wanted to unbolt/fold down/remove your rear seat for sound competition SPL. The entire concept from the Accord could be taken with the push button lock on the top of the seat and the hinges.
Haha, if you ever remove the back seats, you would know how heavy the upper part is. You expect the seat belt to hold it up, thats very funny. Everytime you brake hard, it would flop back and forth. Even if you could get the Accord locking into the back seat, the leather seats has so much padding that it won't really fold down. Who said mods have to be easy? I'm just telling you this mod isn't practical. You can do whatever you want, its your car. Lets just hope you don't need a new upper rear seat.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:24 AM

I just notice your pictures and now understand your comment. I'm sorry I don' thave the funds right now for two cars, Plus you might not know this, in Canada we aer unable to get the Honda Accord Coupe V6 manual, only in Auto. Trust me I don't understand Honada s concept but I don't trust getting a used car from over the border(no offence intended) I was just told that most cars that come up to canada from the states (Eclipse, that specific type of Accord) have to have the tach rolled back from Km to Miles and when they make the adjustment, they roll back too far. I personally was looking for a two door Accord coupe but if I didn't want auto I would have to get the four cyl. 150hp HAHAHAHA. That's why I am getting a TL. I don't have enough experience working with the TL to understand exactly what you mean about the padding in the seat but I'm sure you know what you are talking about. I didn't find about this back not folding down until the last week or two. Could you take out the back seat (just the rear part of the seat) for sound competition use with out too much headaches ( just a few dozen bolts or screws). I don't have my TL yet to get the answer my self.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I will have it done! I don't know when, or how yet, but I assure you I will get it done and keep everyone updated.
I don't know why you want to do something like that as the back of the seat is covered anyways...but anyhow, good luck my man.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Drifting

If you really want the fold down backseat, get a different car. From what it sounds like, you haven't made the purchase yet, so... I mean the fold down rear seats are really important for sound competition so...
Old 07-17-2003, 05:02 PM
Drifting

you said you wanted a manual accord but you can get it?....why are you buying a TL if you want manual?
Old 07-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Advanced

Could you take out the back seat (just the rear part of the seat) for sound competition use with out too much headaches ( just a few dozen bolts or screws). I don't have my TL yet to get the answer my self.
the only bolt you have to remove is a 10mm bolt on the driver's side, near the seat belt anchors. if you do it a couple times, you'll be able remove/reinstall the seat back in less than 10 min. this seems like a much more practical alternative to doing a fold-down seat mod for your purposes.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by shodawg124
the only bolt you have to remove is a 10mm bolt on the driver's side, near the seat belt anchors. if you do it a couple times, you'll be able remove/reinstall the seat back in less than 10 min. this seems like a much more practical alternative to doing a fold-down seat mod for your purposes.
The only bolt???? Its 1 - 10MM bolt to remove the bottom part of the seats, then 3 - 10MM bolts to remove the top part. That makes 4 - 10MM bolts last time I count. Its a simple job but you need atleast two people for the top part, else you might scratch something with the metal brackets. I still think its unpractical for you to be removing the rear seats.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by hzm82
The only bolt???? Its 1 - 10MM bolt to remove the bottom part of the seats, then 3 - 10MM bolts to remove the top part. That makes 4 - 10MM bolts last time I count. Its a simple job but you need atleast two people for the top part, else you might scratch something with the metal brackets. I still think its unpractical for you to be removing the rear seats.
You guys are perfect!

I ask a question and get every view point I could possibly ask for. I am not planning to compete(sound comp.) every weekend with my car. I was just wondering how much headaches I would find if I wanted to remove the seat for a couple of competions.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:47 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally posted by bigman
if you cut the steel braces from behind the seat you will loose major structual rigidity of the car. You will encounter more roll and possible stress fractures on the fram or body of the car from the extra movement and freedom of the rear cut area. The accord was designed with this in mind. Juts because the accord and tl share the same platform doesnt mean they are the same car. You can really screw up a lot of things for fold down seats. In the long run you would be better off buying a car with them then making it and repairing the car you own now.
Exactly, just think about involving in a side impact collision. Once the car has lost its structural support, it will fold up in no time, seriously injuring the rear seat passengers.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:33 AM
Team INSPIRE Canada

hey forget the topic for a few seconds.
how do you take the bottom part of the seat again?
i need to get to the factory sub just so that i can tapp into in 2 it for my other sub.. thanks guys
i promise, once answered you can start capping on this guy again.

suggestion, best thing for you is to get a station wagon, you wont have to unscrew or fold anything down. and clear, hearing loss, acheing bass everytime! forget that early notion of an suv, you might just want to find out how to do something crazy to that too. im telling you man, :::keyword::: VoLvO
Old 07-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Banned

To remove the bottom piece.
On the driver side. Around the two buckler area, there is a 10mm bolt, using an extension, remove it. Then grab each side and pull up. This should pop it up. Then go to the other side and do the same. Once unhooked, it can be removed.
Old 07-25-2003, 02:11 AM
Team INSPIRE Canada

i'm guessing the bolt you said that was on the other side is still by the belt buckle?
i cant wait to this install, id be doing it right now if i wasnt @ work.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:02 AM
Banned

There only one bolt holding down the bottom piece, its behind the driver seat by the two buckler. Rest is held in by clips which pop out if you pull the seat up. Careful not to scratch the interior.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:08 AM
Team INSPIRE Canada

Thanks, i got it off and the amp installed!