Rear driver side door stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear driver side door stuck

Anyone ever had this problem where the door lock is stuck right in the middle, between locking and unlocking? The door will NOT open from inside or outside. Had an estimate done from the Dealer, and they said it could be the actuator. And since they can't open the door to get to the door panel, they would have to cut the door panel to get to it. With parts & labor + a new door panel, estimate was over $1,000. Any suggestions...
Old 08-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Instructor

I've got the same problem, i cannot open the door from the inside or the outside. i'd rather try to fix it myself then spend a thousand dollars to pay someone.....
Old 08-13-2007, 11:54 AM
10th Gear

Have you tried hitting it with a hammer? jk
Old 08-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
pop out the inside door handle.you can see the rod in the corner. needle nose pliers to pull up its probably rusted. once its open take off panel and wd40 or replace actuator. hope that helps.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:42 AM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jonny5
Anyone ever had this problem where the door lock is stuck right in the middle, between locking and unlocking? The door will NOT open from inside or outside. Had an estimate done from the Dealer, and they said it could be the actuator. And since they can't open the door to get to the door panel, they would have to cut the door panel to get to it. With parts & labor + a new door panel, estimate was over $1,000. Any suggestions...
i got a few suggestions

1) no longer use that door

2) bust a dukes of hazzard and slide in the window

3) unstick the door your damn self

4) make a custom door panel yourself... i hear cardboard works wonders

5) i just thought of this... it seems that your door is stuck in purgatory.. it cant quite find unlocked or locked. so this is what we do...

we're gonna need a tv, a little girl, a small woman with a high pitched voice, and whatever else they use in poltergiest, and get your door back before its never able to return.

i hope that helps
Old 09-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 3.2VtecTL
I've got the same problem, i cannot open the door from the inside or the outside. i'd rather try to fix it myself then spend a thousand dollars to pay someone.....
3.2VtecTL- How do you plan on fixing this yourself? Did you already try it... any luck??
Old 09-08-2007, 12:51 AM
pwnage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JMAL
pop out the inside door handle.you can see the rod in the corner. needle nose pliers to pull up its probably rusted. once its open take off panel and wd40 or replace actuator. hope that helps.
that is what I would try to do as well... there is a little black circular piece of plastic behind the inside door handle. Pop it out and behind it is a screw. Unscrew that and then push the surrounding plastic towards the front of the car. It should shift and then you'll be able to pull it out some but a metal rod will be attatched to it. Unhook the rod and then try pulling it with pliers like JMAL said. Without going outside I don't know but could you get the whole door panel off with the door being closed? If so then you could get in there and see for yourself wtf is going on. Or, you could unscrew the black plastic knob on the door lock and try pulling on the metal lock rod. Don't break anything but maybe it would help.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:02 AM
S E L L

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
i got a few suggestions

1) no longer use that door

2) bust a dukes of hazzard and slide in the window

3) unstick the door your damn self

4) make a custom door panel yourself... i hear cardboard works wonders

5) i just thought of this... it seems that your door is stuck in purgatory.. it cant quite find unlocked or locked. so this is what we do...

we're gonna need a tv, a little girl, a small woman with a high pitched voice, and whatever else they use in poltergiest, and get your door back before its never able to return.

i hope that helps
Old 09-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Instructor

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jonny5
3.2VtecTL- How do you plan on fixing this yourself? Did you already try it... any luck??
I have no clue how i would even work on the door without taking the panel off!

i'm going to attempt trying to the handle panel off by taking the one screw off of the panel, then try to use a set of pliers to manually pull on the rod.

Im not sure what else to do. any updates i'll update this thread!
Old 09-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
if it comes down to it, bust the interior panel apart with a dremel tool or something, so you only have to by the interior trim should cost 200.