Radio Code not taking??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 12:26 PM
TL-S driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio Code not taking??

I just Seafoamed my 02 TL-S and I have to say I'm a little disappointed on how little white smoke came out. I have almost 102k miles on the car and I let it sit for about 30 minutes and aside from the big puff when I started it and another when I launched it on the highway, it went away after only 30 seconds. Anyway, main reason for this thread is after I came back my check engine light turned on. I read that a few people had the problem so I wasn't worried and decided to just disconnect my battery and let it reset itself. Before I did I check to make sure I had my radio code and I did but after I connected the batter and tried to put the code in, it won't take!!! I tried it a few times but it won't work. Any ideas why my radio code would have changed and won't take? I have the original card that came with the car so I know it's right. I guess I have to go to the dealer and find out??? Do you think they would end up charging me something for that?

Notes:
Seafoamed my car
check engine light came on
disconnected my battery to reset
put radio code in...won't take!
Old 05-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by goldendragon576
I just Seafoamed my 02 TL-S and I have to say I'm a little disappointed on how little white smoke came out. I have almost 102k miles on the car and I let it sit for about 30 minutes and aside from the big puff when I started it and another when I launched it on the highway, it went away after only 30 seconds. Anyway, main reason for this thread is after I came back my check engine light turned on. I read that a few people had the problem so I wasn't worried and decided to just disconnect my battery and let it reset itself. Before I did I check to make sure I had my radio code and I did but after I connected the batter and tried to put the code in, it won't take!!! I tried it a few times but it won't work. Any ideas why my radio code would have changed and won't take? I have the original card that came with the car so I know it's right. I guess I have to go to the dealer and find out??? Do you think they would end up charging me something for that?

Notes:
Seafoamed my car
check engine light came on
disconnected my battery to reset
put radio code in...won't take!
Don't take your car to the dealer!

This problem is not uncommon. Your code has not changed. But sometimes the radio will not accept it.

One possible fix is to pull the antenna cable out of the back of the radio. That worked for me when I installed a replacement OEM radio.

This topic has been heavily discussed on these forums. Try a search for "radio code" to find much more information.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
read the recent seafoam diy- sitting 30 minutes was part of the problem- you want the engine to start warm-hot by doing a 10-15 minute drive- then seafoam- wait 15 minutes then drive in specific rpm to superheat everything- then some blow out runs to pass loosened bits out
Failure to do it right results in goo stuck on the O2 sensor- normally will clear itself with a few days driving as heat dissolves it

Did you use the correct MAIN vac port right at the Throttle body-requires removal of the plastic engine cover to access

Unplug the antenna connector behind radio- that should fix the code issue
Old 05-10-2008, 01:54 PM
TL-S driver

Thanks guys! Now to do a search to figure out which is the antenna connector
Old 05-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Team Owner

NOTE
the white smoke is largely the hi detergent oils in seafoam reacting to heat in exhaust- put oil on a hot pipe and what do you get- white smoke
not the actual dissolved crud- so its not the real tell of function
There is blue smoke and other invisable to normal human- things happening at the tailpipe- Unless someone follows you- you cant really tell what is happening

Repeat the intake vac and gas tank methods per the DIY in 2000 miles- then good for a year
Old 05-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Team Owner

Those unsure of the radio code- never have tested it before- should pull fuse #12 in passenger footwell fusebox
marked CLOCK backup
its the secret power to the ECU- and resets the engine computer which should clear a CEL
as said above- driving it after foam should clear the cel
Old 05-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Team Owner

look up under the dash on driver side-may have to remove the lower panel
see that cable with a connector about 2 inches long and the wire goes to the radio from there- unplug that connector- its like the ones found on other radios used on earth
Old 05-10-2008, 03:29 PM
TL-S driver

After to cut knuckles and a split finger I finally got the antenna cable out...put the code in and....ERROR! DARN IT! I had to disconnect the battery again to reset the radio since it locked out. I guess I have to call the dealership. Any other ideas?
Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Team Owner

you are sure that is the radio code- 5 digits
the nav unit takes 4 digits

You did disconnect antenna lead- wait a minute- then put the lead back together- now turn on key and radio- enter code
Old 05-10-2008, 06:25 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
If it was replaced (like mine) it will have a different code than before. The previous owner possibly didn't put the new card with the new code in the right place. Thats what happened to me.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:31 PM
TL-S driver

Originally Posted by 02type-s
If it was replaced (like mine) it will have a different code than before. The previous owner possibly didn't put the new card with the new code in the right place. Thats what happened to me.
Good thought but I'm the only owner and I haven't replaced the radio. Hmmmm...I may try it again tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Team Owner

if you tried 3 times or 5 times- something like that - it may be in lockdown mode- where a fresh start in the morning is the trick
Old 05-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Drifting

Check out this thread for a couple of additional things to try:

https://acurazine.com/forums/religion-politics-18/ten-commandments-can-stay-121097/

There's a press "3 and 6" trick and a driving around technique.

Good luck!

Bob
Old 05-13-2008, 11:17 AM
TL-S driver

I called the dealership and gave them the UxxxxLxxxx code and he gave me two codes for the radio, neither of them is the original code that was on the card that I had. He told me to pull the antenna out and try the two codes, if neither work then I need to do a radio swap. Can't think of anything else to try.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Team Owner

I am guessing here- try the codes with the antenna unplugged- if that doesnt work- try it with it connected?

The other alternative is remove the radio and get its personal serial number off the back- with that the dealer can look up the code.
On my car- they swapped the nav dvd drive a some years ago on warranty, and failed to note the NEW code anywhere, not in the dealers system- not on the invoice,,,
wasnt that fun!!- took several calls to corp by the service manager before they found one that worked

Its possible they swapped your radio out on warranty when in for service long ago, and the paperwork was lost and you never knew....
Ask a radio install shop if they know any tricks to get the code from the unit itself
Try all the hold 1 and 6 or other number combos others have suggested to force the radio to disclose its code
Note to all others- when you find the correct codes- go to acura ownerlink and register-
http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
there is a free secure storage place for the codes- has come in handy for ziners on the road trip and have a battery prob- go use the dealers free internet and retrieve your codes~
Old 05-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Drifting

I called the dealership and gave them the UxxxxLxxxx code and he gave me two codes for the radio, neither of them is the original code that was on the card that I had. He told me to pull the antenna out and try the two codes, if neither work then I need to do a radio swap. Can't think of anything else to try.
That's odd that you have three different codes for the original factory radio.

Also, did you try the "3 and 6" and "driving around" methods described in the thread I linked above? And there are a ton of additional threads on this topic. Spend some time reading some of those before taking it to the dealer.

Another possibility is that there's just something fried in the radio.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2008, 02:43 PM
TL-S driver

Originally Posted by Bob_F
That's odd that you have three different codes for the original factory radio.

Also, did you try the "3 and 6" and "driving around" methods described in the thread I linked above? And there are a ton of additional threads on this topic. Spend some time reading some of those before taking it to the dealer.

Another possibility is that there's just something fried in the radio.

Good luck!
I know of the 1 and 6 which gives you the serial number. what is 3 and 6? I assumed you were talking about the same thing. I'll give that a try tonight. When I gave him the serial number he said he had 2 numbers that came up. I have both of them so I'll have to give them a try. What a pain!
Old 05-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
I had 2 numbers given to me too but only one of them worked when i gave my dealer my serial number. it should work.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Drifting

I know of the 1 and 6 which gives you the serial number. what is 3 and 6? I assumed you were talking about the same thing. I'll give that a try tonight. When I gave him the serial number he said he had 2 numbers that came up. I have both of them so I'll have to give them a try. What a pain!
I have no experience with it myself, but see Post #19 in the thread I linked above for more information on the "3 and 6" button press method:

ok, latest update for me: i did the "3" and "6" trick (pushing both buttons at the same time) before turning on radio, and kept holding when radio turned on. it gave me some weird #: "U 3000" followed by "L xxxx" . The "xxxx" part was some four digit # that i can't remember. anyways, after that, i entered in my 5 digit code, and it worked. So to those considering removing the antenna method, might wanna try this method too.

Posted by forum member mickeyfickey
Old 05-14-2008, 01:53 PM
TL-S driver

Thanks for all your help! I got into my car last night after work and decided to randomly try to see if something happened during the day. AND IT DID!!! I got in, turned the radio on and BOOM it was working! No code, no nothing! I just turned it on and the radio was working. I was so confused but I'm not going to argue with the outcome. Thanks all for the help!
Old 05-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Tom

Old 11-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummm....how does this make any sense

I have my card and the radio simply would NOT accept the number.

I read all the suggestions here and decided, just for the heck of it to look in the alternate locations to see what number they showed.

THE NUMBER UNDER MY ASHTRAY DID NOT MATCH THE NUMBER ON THE DEALER PROVIDED CARD!!!

I then entered the ashtray number and it worked. What moron included the wrong card with my car??? Seems like Honda totally botched this security thing in many different ways with their radios.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Advanced

this happened to me after i installed my new battery. i called the service department at the dealer and he told me to hold 1 and 6 and a few numbers would show up which i had to tell him what it was. Then i had to turn the radio off/on and he gave me a new number and it worked.

hope this helps
Old 11-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rickb20us

I read all the suggestions here and decided, just for the heck of it to look in the alternate locations to see what number they showed.

THE NUMBER UNDER MY ASHTRAY DID NOT MATCH THE NUMBER ON THE DEALER PROVIDED CARD!!!

I then entered the ashtray number and it worked. What moron included the wrong card with my car??? Seems like Honda totally botched this security thing in many different ways with their radios.

Hope this helps someone.
Are you the original owner of the car? If not, it might be that the original radio was replaced. That would explain why the dealer supplied card had the wrong code.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Those unsure of the radio code- never have tested it before- should pull fuse #12 in passenger footwell fusebox
marked CLOCK backup
its the secret power to the ECU- and resets the engine computer which should clear a CEL
as said above- driving it after foam should clear the cel
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
look up under the dash on driver side-may have to remove the lower panel
see that cable with a connector about 2 inches long and the wire goes to the radio from there- unplug that connector- its like the ones found on other radios used on earth
Is it the silver box on the right? I thought that was the CPU box.

After to cut knuckles and a split finger I finally got the antenna cable out...put the code in and....ERROR! DARN IT! I had to disconnect the battery again to reset the radio since it locked out. I guess I have to call the dealership. Any other ideas?
I'm not trying to do that man!!!!

Check out this thread for a couple of additional things to try:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121097

There's a press "3 and 6" trick and a driving around technique.

Good luck!

Bob
I'll try anything!

I have no experience with it myself, but see Post #19 in the thread I linked above for more information on the "3 and 6" button press method:

ok, latest update for me: i did the "3" and "6" trick (pushing both buttons at the same time) before turning on radio, and kept holding when radio turned on. it gave me some weird #: "U 3000" followed by "L xxxx" . The "xxxx" part was some four digit # that i can't remember. anyways, after that, i entered in my 5 digit code, and it worked. So to those considering removing the antenna method, might wanna try this method too.
Posted by forum member mickeyfickey
I'm on it!

Originally Posted by rickb20us

Hope this helps someone.
I didn't know there was anothe number under the ash tray.

Are you the original owner of the car? If not, it might be that the original radio was replaced. That would explain why the dealer supplied card had the wrong code.

Second owner and the people I got the car from were dirty thieves and they got what they had coming to them.