radar detector wired into auto dim mirror

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008 | 10:14 AM
B A N N E D

I GOT A V1 but what wires should i connect do i need to slice da phone look alike wire i and what colors the guy who did it didnt really explain it that well... THANKS AZINE ....
Old 01-27-2008 | 09:16 PM
Advanced

i picked up some wire taps from walmart, and the fuse line tap(it adds another fuse -10A and has a + line out) . I'm just gonna tap the wires from the fuse box+ use the V1 power connector , run them to the top .

i'll open the sunglass visor and see if i can tap it right there.

will get back to ya by next weekend.
Old 01-29-2008 | 05:33 PM
Advanced

ok the V1 (valentine 1) radar detector uses simple telephone wires.
so i bought the Slim (thin) telephone wire (25ft)

I ran it accroos the windshield/ liner ...look closely there' a lil gap where you can sorta stuff it in, then poped the drivers side A pillar....(pulls right off) then ran i down along with the cable to the fuse box, then hid it under the dash, took it accross the middle console(will post pictured this weekend) and connected it to the V1 12V lighter socket located under the handrest...
lol
yea.. i didn't wanna splice anything.

also the fuse wire tap from the fuse box would give you a positive line , but the stupid V1 has a weird connection.

looks like PiZauL's V1 (i have mine on the right)

this took me approx 10 mins, and 3 mins prep time.

Caution *** reinserting the A pillar back into its place was the most trouble some.
Old 02-06-2008 | 11:30 AM
Advanced

V1 users - simply get the Direct-wire Power Adaptor (Item # 20305) from Valentine1.com store.

then simply use the ez clip to attach the positive and then just connect to a ground wire/screw and you are good to go.

I'm gonna do it with the mirror/ or the fuse box
Old 02-06-2008 | 11:40 AM
3rd Gear

mzahidi: Do you have any pics? Just took delivery of my Bel STi Driver and want to install it this weekend. I'd feel more comfortable not splicing any wires and just using the fuse box as well.
Old 02-06-2008 | 12:03 PM
Pro

Wink

I love this mod... very clean... The only thing I would worry about is when the suction comes loose and that thing slams down or bounces off the dash and hits your woman in the face : (

I have mine about an inch or so off the dash for this reason.
Old 02-06-2008 | 01:12 PM
Pro

Here's mine

The following users liked this post:
jp32819 (09-13-2016)
Old 02-07-2008 | 10:52 AM
Advanced

wait till sat

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
I love this mod... very clean... The only thing I would worry about is when the suction comes loose and that thing slams down or bounces off the dash and hits your woman in the face : (

I have mine about an inch or so off the dash for this reason.
i'll show proper pics
i'm either gonna tap the wire from the fuse (easier) or the mirror .

will post pics (if i can find the camera and charge it or....imma use my good ol iphone to post blurry pics :-/ )

the direct wire adaptor is retard proof! , they even ship it with the (wire tap connector) just find positive (+) tap it and then make sure its all hidden .

Old 02-07-2008 | 10:53 AM
Advanced

wait till sat....if i can't do it tonight!
Old 02-07-2008 | 12:32 PM
3rd Gear

Doc, how do you like the Bel? As I said before, I just took delivery of my Bel Sti Driver and its maiden voyage will be to Boston this weekend.

Also, Don't you find that mounting it down low near the dash will be problematic should you get stopped? The cop will either see you reach to move it or see it in plain sight when he approaches your window...
Old 02-07-2008 | 01:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SunValley TLS
Doc, how do you like the Bel? As I said before, I just took delivery of my Bel Sti Driver and its maiden voyage will be to Boston this weekend.

Also, Don't you find that mounting it down low near the dash will be problematic should you get stopped? The cop will either see you reach to move it or see it in plain sight when he approaches your window...

hmm... well... They aren't illegal in Texas... only radar jammers, but I do have tinted windows... I guess I don't really care since I don't get pulled over that often knock on wood.

Texas is flat and perfect for these things... especially in loose traffic, because the radars cops use... bounce off other cars : )

Just know how to use yours and realize that when you see it flashing Ka or something... SLOW DOWN! some think that it's a jammer, but it's not. Just be careful going over hills because the radar will not go through Earth and mounting it higher won't really save your ass if you're going that fast anyways lol

Also, beware of the instant on... Especially during those times when you're the only one on the highway and feel like letting your engine breathe and going over 100mph... No detector can protect you from instant on when the cop sees the only headlights coming down the highway at night.

If you want 100% protection you'll get a good radar detector and wire a laser jammer into your front grill and rear license plate. and they are designed to alarm you and then for you you turn the laser jammer off after you slow down so the cop can get a reading that won't get you a ticket.
Old 02-08-2008 | 02:02 PM
Something is missing...my

Originally Posted by azurepalm
hi,

Thanks for the tip. It would be wonderful for some more detail info on connecting the wires/power/etc. also was wondering whether this mod is somewhat permanent (as in acura factory wires being cut) or easily removeable?

Thanks again, Looks awesome.
If you don't want to cut wires, you can simply tap into where the mirror wires plug into the wires that actually come from the fuseblock. It is right above the homelink. I could very easily remove the mod and make it normal with no changes.
Old 02-08-2008 | 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bibledriver
If you don't want to cut wires, you can simply tap into where the mirror wires plug into the wires that actually come from the fuseblock. It is right above the homelink. I could very easily remove the mod and make it normal with no changes.
Or an even better option is to tap int the back side of the drivers side fuse panel. All you need is a female spade conector
Old 02-09-2008 | 01:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Or an even better option is to tap int the back side of the drivers side fuse panel. All you need is a female spade conector

hes right, 100% the easiest way. trust him and me, I have had it wired many ways and this is by far the best
Old 02-09-2008 | 02:11 PM
NBP

Originally Posted by quinto1025
hes right, 100% the easiest way. trust him and me, I have had it wired many ways and this is by far the best

I JUST SHOVED MINE INTO THE ACC/NAVI FUSE AND IT WORKS GREAT THERE IS A PERFECT GROUND IF I REMEMBER
Old 02-10-2008 | 08:09 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ABCTypeS
I JUST SHOVED MINE INTO THE ACC/NAVI FUSE AND IT WORKS GREAT THERE IS A PERFECT GROUND IF I REMEMBER
I agree,
simply get a mini fuse tap , then use a connector to simply get your Positive (+), the ground is simplying screwing it into a metallic part of the car.
and you should tap from Fuse #9 on the drivers side panel (Instrument Panel, Back-up
Lights, Memory Seat)
Old 01-15-2009 | 03:10 AM
Instructor

Ok here is a noob question If you wire your radar detector in your auto dimmer switch Does it still work and if you cut off auto dimmer switch will it cut off your radar detector too? I am looking at buying a V1 and the Blend mount kit so i can mount the v1 right under my rear view mirror Thanks Guys
Old 03-05-2009 | 03:55 PM
Your mom in my

Dope ass DIY!
Old 09-11-2009 | 03:58 PM
Instructor

i cut the radar wire an got to the red an white wire...plugged it in like 5 times one of witch their was a pop noise....idk what to do now...help please!!! thank you
Old 09-19-2009 | 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

For the V1 attachement to the Rear View mirror power connector:

On the RJ11 phone cord, RED is GROUND, GREEN is HOT (+12) (the two inner wires of the four, standard on a RJ11 connector).
One the Rear View Mirror connector, only the outer TWO wires are used (the middle wire is NOT). The BLACK is GROUND, the "GREY" one is HOT (+12).

I simply stripped the RED & GREEN wires on the RJ45 and stuck the RED in the BLACK socket and the GREEN in the GREY socket and pushed the connector back together; no cutting & splicing as the original poster did.
Works great.
Old 09-21-2009 | 09:59 AM
Cruisin'

Did this mod yesterday thru the blue harness and even though it worked, I had a wire wrong and my back-up lights remained on at all times when the car was turned on. Just unplugged it and gotta mess with the configuration later, those damn radar detector wires are so small, its hard to hold them in the harness and keep them from falling out before I plug it back in. Anyone know which wires should go to which so it is properly connected? I'm sure I can figure it out through trial and error but would be nice to know what i'm aiming for when I go do it later. Detecor is red and white, and connecting to blue harness showing black, white, and grey wires.
Old 09-21-2009 | 10:00 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Severin
For the V1 attachement to the Rear View mirror power connector:

On the RJ11 phone cord, RED is GROUND, GREEN is HOT (+12) (the two inner wires of the four, standard on a RJ11 connector).
One the Rear View Mirror connector, only the outer TWO wires are used (the middle wire is NOT). The BLACK is GROUND, the "GREY" one is HOT (+12).

I simply stripped the RED & GREEN wires on the RJ45 and stuck the RED in the BLACK socket and the GREEN in the GREY socket and pushed the connector back together; no cutting & splicing as the original poster did.
Works great.
I'm pretty sure on mine the grey one was in the middle... maybe i'm mistaken though.
Old 12-16-2009 | 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Ever since wiring my V1 into the rear view mirror, I've noticed that every time I lock/unlock the door locks using the power lock switch that the V1 gets a False Laser notification...
I figured it was some time of glitch on the power line.
I direct wired to the rear view mirror (i.e. cut the RJ11, stripped the wires, twisted).
Anyone else have/notice this issue?
Old 12-21-2009 | 09:32 PM
Ackniculous One

well, in case you don't want to splice anything...

http://invisicord.com/osc2/catalog/p...products_id=31
Old 12-21-2009 | 09:43 PM
Ackniculous One

just to add, another option for mounting..looks pretty clean but pricey http://www.mgtmotorsports.com/

Old 12-21-2009 | 10:34 PM
B A N N E D

why does every one want to wire into the auto dim mirror , it is easy enough to just run power up from the fuse box, and up the pillar, then stuff it under the headliner, to the mirror (i just plug mine right into one of the accesory plugs on the back of the fuse box

also about that mount, when kinda get screwed for us with out factory navi, mirror post is kinda too vertical and not exactly round (and i have never had a problem with the suction cups on my V1 (and i can't even see it in the driver's seat, only can see the remote display)
Old 12-22-2009 | 11:00 AM
Ackniculous One

yeah, my suction cups have lost their hold over the years, gonna get some black ones so they will hide better behind the tint strip..my detector sits just below it...got clocked with laser a few times since having it up high on the window. It doesnt appear to give less warning for laser up high..i have a Bel 995..that thing has saved me a million times..I just jinxed myself probably
Old 12-22-2009 | 02:00 PM
2003 TL

heh. well don't do what i did. i just jammed the fuckin wires in the moonroof fuse spot (pass. side fusebox). i didnt even use a fuse-tap. i know i probably should, but i was lazy when i did it years ago. i wonder if anything bad will happen eventually (like electrically)
Old 12-22-2009 | 07:45 PM
Ackniculous One

Re-do and do it right..seriously, no need for a short and f up your detector or your wiring..add a circuit is stupid cheap at autozone
Old 02-08-2010 | 01:29 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mzahidi
ok the V1 (valentine 1) radar detector uses simple telephone wires.
so i bought the Slim (thin) telephone wire (25ft)

I ran it accroos the windshield/ liner ...look closely there' a lil gap where you can sorta stuff it in, then poped the drivers side A pillar....(pulls right off) then ran i down along with the cable to the fuse box, then hid it under the dash, took it accross the middle console(will post pictured this weekend) and connected it to the V1 12V lighter socket located under the handrest...
lol
yea.. i didn't wanna splice anything.

also the fuse wire tap from the fuse box would give you a positive line , but the stupid V1 has a weird connection.

looks like PiZauL's V1 (i have mine on the right)

this took me approx 10 mins, and 3 mins prep time.

Caution *** reinserting the A pillar back into its place was the most trouble some.
This is the same exact setup I have on mine. I just placed the V1 on the driver side above the mirror. Anyone outside of the vehicle can barely see it.
Old 05-08-2012 | 12:59 PM
6th Gear

just to be sure, im no pushover as far as mechanical fixs, but im a little leary of electronics if i accidentally(50-50 chance) reverse the pos and neg to my detector i wont blow anything? fuses or my 180$ unit? i can basically just tap the wires in the mirror and reverse them if it doesnt turn on?
Old 05-08-2012 | 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Andrew Civic
just to be sure, im no pushover as far as mechanical fixs, but im a little leary of electronics if i accidentally(50-50 chance) reverse the pos and neg to my detector i wont blow anything? fuses or my 180$ unit? i can basically just tap the wires in the mirror and reverse them if it doesnt turn on?
You'll blow-up the radar detector if you reverse the polarity.
Get yourself a cheap multimeter if the wires are black and red (I don't remember) and measure them with the ignition on to be sure.