Raced a new Altima 3.5

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 09:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raced a new Altima 3.5

I don't know much about the new Altima, all I saw was that it had a 3.5 on it, maybe an SE as well.

Anyhow, I was driving back from a camping trip with two girls in the car and a trunk full of camping stuff. I was on the 241 which has almost no traffic on it whatsoever. I think I passed maybe 10 cars total the whole time I was on that stretch. We were going about 80 and he was in the lane to my left, about five car lengths behind. I merged to the left to pass a slower car.

As soon as I got into the Altima's lane, I saw him start to pull up. I went to SS and shifted into 4th, but he kept pulling on me. In fact, he started tailgating me at 100 :wow:. At about 120, I decided it was a bit too fast for my and my passengers' tastes and decided to merge right. The guy in the Altima continue to pull and took off. That's where I saw the 3.5, the dealer plates, and that he was the only one in the car.

In any case, I had three people and about 200 lbs of luggage in the trunk and rear seat; plus, he had the jump on me. Had this been a launch from a stop, and had I been the only one in the car, who would've won?
Old 07-20-2003, 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the Altima is a pretty quick car, but you gotta remember he only has 240HP under the hood. And if you guys were going that fast, then chances are you were revving arounds the 5-6k range, which means you were well into the HP range. So in that case if your car was empty, you would have probably smoked him. What you can do next time is slow the car down to about 95MPH, then floor it in 3rd gear, then when you redline in SS mode at about 105MPH, you then gear to 4th, which gives you a lot more momentum to go faster and get to the speed you wanna be a lot quicker, you may have beaten him had you done that.

In any case, if it was car vs car and you had the same weight as him, you should blow past him.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:17 PM
Racer

i dont know if you would have smoked him, cuz theyre pretty fast, especially the manual. would have been a good race though
Old 07-21-2003, 12:21 AM
Advanced

I dunno man, there pretty quick.
i used to live in a Nissan house until my dad bought his TL, and ive driven just about every car from 99'-up and the altima goes!!!!
you can feel every inch of the 246ft/lbs.

They weigh less, as far as im concerned they are a pretty damn good bang for your buck, there 240hp 246tq 3226lbs fully loaded here they cost around $31,000 and they run a 14.1 1/4, not bad for a frumpy looking family sedan in my opinion.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
guys .. at those speeds, both cars are identical... quit smoking the crack....
Old 07-21-2003, 06:29 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
I dunno man, there pretty quick.
i used to live in a Nissan house until my dad bought his TL, and ive driven just about every car from 99'-up and the altima goes!!!!
you can feel every inch of the 246ft/lbs.

They weigh less, as far as im concerned they are a pretty damn good bang for your buck, there 240hp 246tq 3226lbs fully loaded here they cost around $31,000 and they run a 14.1 1/4, not bad for a frumpy looking family sedan in my opinion.
$31k for a freakin plastic dash Altima? I had no idea their top of the line ran that much. I would never pay that much for an Altima, no way!
Old 07-21-2003, 06:30 AM
Drifting

PeterUbers, so your saying it wouldn't be an easy race for a 3.5-5sp. vs. TLS in SS?
Old 07-21-2003, 08:04 AM
Racer

My friend has the new altima 3.5. He kept saying how he would smoke my car blah blah blah for about 6 months. So he gets his car and we race at night, clear quiet road.

I raced him straight line four out of four times, I beat him. I drive a 2003 TL-P too. He claims now that he can beat me and how he sucked, lol.

That guy pulled on you because you had 2 passengers and all the luggage in my opinion.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:15 AM
Drifting

Well that's nice to know. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2003, 08:18 AM

guys .. at those speeds, both cars are identical... quit smoking the crack....
Fo sure.

3.5s are no joke. THey are identical to a S-type acceleration wise. Manuals have an edge driven properly. I can't seen a TL-P beating a 3.5 at all.
but you gotta remember he only has 240HP under the hood
"only" 240hp That is a BUNCH of hp, especially in a family car.
31k for a freakin plastic dash Altima? I had no idea their top of the line ran that much. I would never pay that much for an Altima, no way!
I agree it is very overpriced and the worst interior of ANY new car.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:44 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by Type S Lady
PeterUbers, so your saying it wouldn't be an easy race for a 3.5-5sp. vs. TLS in SS?
That's exactly what I'm saying .. i've raced my friends Nissan Maxima 6-spd EXTENSIVELY .. 255hp/246lb-ft for those who aren't aware .. it's actually the same engine as the Altima, and many believe the maxima only really puts out 240hp at the crank..

Anyways.. off the line .. him and my typeS (when I was stock and gate-shifting) were near neck and neck ..

On the highway he'd slowly walk me .. but nothing ridiculous .. and I certainly wouldn't say (nor would he..) that he "smoked me" .

Let's define getting "smoked..."
- this is when two people floor it on the highway and the person who does the proverbial "smoking" gains multiple carlengths on the "smoked" car in a relatively small period of time... and continues to put distance b/w himself and the slower car.

I wouldn't be surprised if a 5-spd Alty ran neck and neck w/ my modded TL-S, if not BEATING me to 100mph from a standstill....

You need at LEAST 50 or 60hp minimum (w/ identical tranny's) to consider a car able to "smoke" another one ..

Best of luck eating Alty's for lunch .. you'll be starving in no time...
Old 07-21-2003, 09:53 AM
Drifting

Nicely said PeteruBers, although I don't like those "facts" it was nicely said. Atleast we know what they got. I still say bring it! And more than likely, if they paid $31k for an Altima their pretty darn dumb and can't really drive it. (Or so I hope)
Old 07-21-2003, 11:59 AM
On the way!

Originally posted by Type S Lady
$31k for a freakin plastic dash Altima? I had no idea their top of the line ran that much. I would never pay that much for an Altima, no way!
He's from Canada.

$31k in Canadian currency is about $4.95 in US.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by fla-tls
He's from Canada.

hahaha pretty close, but seriously a good driven manual 3.5 WILL beat a TL type S hands down. the altima is ahead in the numbers category and it just makes sense, there more powerful, lighter, manual is available and when push comes to shove i have no doubt it would beat it.
From the numbers i see you guys post there anywhere from 0-60 for the TL-S is 6.28sec. A manual 3.5 will pull off a mid-high 5sec.
the Altima will run a 14 flat and the best ive heard on here for a stock TL-S is a mid 14.

just my opinions
Old 07-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Veritas vos Liberabit

yeah, those 3.5's are by no means pushovers, they are quite fast esp. with manual... even the auto is pretty responsive....
Old 07-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Drifting

Now see, it's forums like this that help me not to waste my precious premium gas that I hate to put in at $1.79 a gallon anyway. Thanks Guys!
Old 07-21-2003, 01:52 PM
Instructor

those 3.5's w/ the manuals can out sprint a boxter.... they're hella fast and light as hell comparativley....
Old 07-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Advanced

thats what im saying, thats why i find it hard to believe that people are challenging this post, face it, its a faster car. N o big deal, the TL is a better looking car.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Drifting

I really can't say the TLS is better looking than the Altima. I mean Nissan came out the box pretty hard with this stlying. And maybe I'm saying that because we have some what of an "outdate" bodystyle. But to see the Altima and the TLS lowered with their respective bodykits, wheels etc. the Altima just might have me drooling more.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:11 PM
Advanced

I really like the Altima and would consider buying one but i just dont know, they are pretty big and doesnt really suit the car IMO.
I wish we could get HID's for our ones up here. then it would be no contest and i would still buy it lol
Old 07-21-2003, 02:14 PM
Drifting

That plasticy interior just kills me though, and they've never had the greatest resale value or quality material. But I love what STILLEN did with the burnt orange one. That one is awesome.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Advanced

i dont think ive ever seen it, but ya when lowered with nice big rims, they look amazing!!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by sc354
So in that case if your car was empty, you would have probably smoked him.

In any case, if it was car vs car and you had the same weight as him, you should blow past him.

Hope this helps.

negative. so much for your hopeful thinking.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:09 PM
Intermediate

Between a 240 hp 5-speed altima and a 260hp SS TL Type-S It depends on the driver. Remeber people, whatever Acura decides to call the tranny it is still a slush box (i.e. automatic). Which means we lose about 12% of said hp to the wheels. That puts along the same hp as the altima since stick suffer a much lower hp loss to the wheels. With hp that close it comes down to driver skill.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:09 PM
The Acura Tranny Killer

Hmm, i tried an Altima before i bought my TL.. the TL drives a LOT nicer and looks WAY better on the inside. Quieter as well. The outside of any car is a matter of taste.

Me, i get turned off totally by any car that has their tailpipes in the middle or any cars that have their gauges in the middle. As i said, a matter of taste.

Tracer
Old 07-21-2003, 04:19 PM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Classic!
hahaha pretty close, but seriously a good driven manual 3.5 WILL beat a TL type S hands down. the altima is ahead in the numbers category and it just makes sense, there more powerful, lighter, manual is available and when push comes to shove i have no doubt it would beat it.
...and an Altima will run 14 sec flat when stock?

I've got this nice island in the middle of Kansas with a great, single access bridge for sale at $31,000 if you are interested...
Altimas are great cars for what they are: Cheap, quick, etc. Even the grossly exaggerated C&D wouldn't tell you that it would run 14 sec flat...I'd like to see a handful of them with manuals ALL run sub-6 in the quarter as well. Try pulling up to a light on your way home next to an Altima and see again and again how quick they aren't (as far as numbers freaks are concerned). Right. Ain't gonna happen. It's not as quick as you think. That being said:

You can't "smoke" an Altima even with an auto (as Mr. Ubers correctly put it) or vice-versa for them on you. You could beat one, not smoke one (and vice-versa). I can say that my modded car will easily pull on my friend's new manual Altima. It is quick--probably as quick as my car before I modded it, but it is no sub 6 sec car at all. With mods, it's now not even close...

"Smoked" is when I said "what the h=ll" next to a cleverly fiberglass bodied Civic with a turbo laying over 350hp to the wheels. Smoked was by a GS400 with a custom turbo kit. Smoked was by a C43 on the highway from 80mph. Smoked was by my dad's '03 911 Turbo. Smoked is Jay and Silent Bob...Smoked is not a TL-S vs. a new Altima.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:22 PM
lover and fighter

Oh yeah, fortunate. The weight killed you. Two ladies (assuming a conservative 110lbs a piece) and 200lbs of crap = bad for performance.
Besides, we all know car with dealer plates don't have any gas in them either!
Old 07-21-2003, 04:26 PM
2002 TL Type S

I agree with the general theme here. The Altima would be a sweet car if not for the lousy interior. I even felt the Maximas had inferior interiors to the TL-S when I tested them both. Guess if you want to upgrade interior quality you gotta go with Infinity.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:41 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by unionjack
Between a 240 hp 5-speed altima and a 260hp SS TL Type-S It depends on the driver. Remeber people, whatever Acura decides to call the tranny it is still a slush box (i.e. automatic). Which means we lose about 12% of said hp to the wheels. That puts along the same hp as the altima since stick suffer a much lower hp loss to the wheels. With hp that close it comes down to driver skill.

horsepower is only a number. there are many more factors other than horsepower such as weight, balance, etc... a 5-speed altima was rated in many magazines doing 5.8 0-60. TL-S is about 6.5 an altima is a good bit lighter than the TL-S. The manual tranny 3.5 altima would almost definitely beat the TL-S by a good amount. not to say that the 0-60 times are the factor by which to judge the race.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Veritas vos Liberabit

i dont think ive ever seen it, but ya when lowered with nice big rims, they look amazing!!!!
hold that thought, i will post pics of my old one (pre TL-S hehehehe) later tonite!!
Old 07-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by zigzagzig
horsepower is only a number. there are many more factors other than horsepower such as weight, balance, etc... a 5-speed altima was rated in many magazines doing 5.8 0-60. TL-S is about 6.5 an altima is a good bit lighter than the TL-S. The manual tranny 3.5 altima would almost definitely beat the TL-S by a good amount. not to say that the 0-60 times are the factor by which to judge the race.
right you have to factor in all the points of the vehicle, and for this comment
Altimas are great cars for what they are: Cheap, quick, etc. Even the grossly exaggerated C&D wouldn't tell you that it would run 14 sec flat...
where do you think i got the numbers

its funny you bring up turbo civics :p smoked is when your stock looking civic beats on newer camaro SS's and all you see is

oh and for everyone talking about horsepower, "Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races"-kenny

my civic puts down 265ft/lbs and 255hp. its like a maxima but about 800lbs lighter lol
Old 07-21-2003, 08:41 PM
Veritas vos Liberabit

Originally posted by looney010
hold that thought, i will post pics of my old one (pre TL-S hehehehe) later tonite!!
ok... how do you post pictures?
Old 07-21-2003, 09:23 PM
Pro

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Fo sure.

3.5s are no joke. THey are identical to a S-type acceleration wise. Manuals have an edge driven properly. I can't seen a TL-P beating a 3.5 at all.

"only" 240hp That is a BUNCH of hp, especially in a family car.

I agree it is very overpriced and the worst interior of ANY new car.
It can be done. I had a rental TL-P and got into a major run from a stoplight against a new auto 3.5SE Altima w/ dealer tags. (This was before I bought my Maxima.)

We were pretty even for for several lights down Route 1 (Linden/Eliz., NJ) before I shut it down. So it can be done; but it I wouldnt readily bet on a TL-P beating a 3.5SE.

Peace
Old 07-21-2003, 09:31 PM
Safety Car

The weight difference b/w the TL-S and the Altima is neglibible in my opinion .. again , you'd have to see at least a 15-20% difference in weight to seriously start saying one car would SMOKE another one just b/c it's less weight.

I don't know if you guys realize that there are a LOT fewer 3.5SE Alty's out there compared to the ****box 2.5S's that litter the roads like the Ford Taurus's of old. They are the fugliest I-4 powered sedans I've ever seen, and they're all over the place.. and frankly, that just isn't good for the few proud people that prefered to purchase the 3.5SE Alty over the Maxima... big mistake, if you ask me...
Old 07-21-2003, 10:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by r10apple
Oh yeah, fortunate. The weight killed you. Two ladies (assuming a conservative 110lbs a piece) and 200lbs of crap = bad for performance.
Besides, we all know car with dealer plates don't have any gas in them either!
Truetrue. BTW, just for an anecdote, I had two roomates in college named Jae and Bob. Jae talked to no end and Bob was...well...silent. When I first saw Chasing Amy, which was the first time I encountered Jae and Silent Bob, I almost laughed my ass off at the similarities.

And now for a quiz. Name the movie that this quote came from: "I swear I didn't cum inside you Peter!"
Old 07-21-2003, 11:13 PM
Drifting

my civic puts down 265ft/lbs and 255hp. its like a maxima but about 800lbs lighter lol
thats a ****load of torque for a 4 cylinder..iver never heard of anyhting like that...ussually on 4 bangers the hp figure is higher the the torque...

btw...anyone know the formula to convert torque to hp based on rpm or soemthi glike that?
Old 07-22-2003, 01:06 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by njtls
thats a ****load of torque for a 4 cylinder..iver never heard of anyhting like that...ussually on 4 bangers the hp figure is higher the the torque...

btw...anyone know the formula to convert torque to hp based on rpm or soemthi glike that?
ya it shocked the **** out of the guy tuning my car, btw those are the highest numbers its ever put down, but im somewhere in between 245-265, depending on temps and fuel.

in septemeber hopefully ill have my new cam in, skunk 2 says its good for 15-20whp!!! so i for sure will be in the low 13's at 3500-4000ft elevation.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:24 AM
Burning Brakes

from personal experience, the altima is impressive, I still managed to stay well ahead of one on the streets, even though he was really really tryin to pass me (hehehe)... oh, I have a stock TL-S (the fastest stock one ever produced, of course) and he was driving a 3.5... Guy had a bushy mustachio.

I got into a 2.5 the other day and although the ride looks cool, i am more happy with the interior of my ride.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:38 AM
lover and fighter

ROFL, fortunate! Any "bad" Catholic knows that's Dogma!!!

The best is still Clerks...
Old 07-22-2003, 08:46 AM

Nissan Maxima/Altima look like knock-off GS's to me. The Altima is a good looking car.

Quick Reply: Raced a new Altima 3.5