Quiet Tip Insert for Comptech Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 07:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quiet Tip Insert for Comptech Exhaust

I installed the Comptech exhaust to my 99TL last week and it looks great but it sounds a little bit loud.

I spoke with one of the Comptech's advisors, who informed me that they sell a "Quiet Tip Insert" that decreases the sound. He mentioned that very few buyers complaint about the sound of the exhaust. He also said that the main reason why they developed the quiet tip insert was to satisfy an european customer whose country has very strict rules about sound levels.

Has anyone had any experience with the quiet tip insert? Any pictures? Any comments?

Thank you for your prompt response.
Old 12-14-2001, 07:55 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that CompTech that loud? I heard sound clips of it and I think it's WAY too quiet...hehe! :p
Old 12-14-2001, 10:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

i don't know about the quiet tips, but yeah i think the comptech is pretty quiet already? it doesnt' sound that much louder than the stock?
Old 12-14-2001, 10:09 PM
Drifting

it's only somewhat loud and annoying at low rpms cruising on the highway.

other than that I think it's pretty damn quiet
Old 12-14-2001, 10:10 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Yeah....it has a nice deep tone. But not loud enough for me. If you think that's loud! You should hear what I'm going to put on my TL-S......... *hint* G Medalion... Now..That's gonna be loud! but deep loud tho. like a low low growl.
Old 01-19-2002, 06:39 PM
Banned

Im thinking about buying these tips, i mean i hate it when im taking to someone in the car with the radio down, and the exhaust is loud at low rpms. Kinda annoying me, main reason i got it, is for the looks.

So tim, or whoever, how much of a decrease in sound is it if these tips were installed???

Also how do they install?
Old 01-19-2002, 07:12 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Where is a picture of these tips? and how does it install? does it just stick into the tip opening? I remember when listening to the CompTech's at the TL Meet....boy...hear what? man..that sounded so stock...hehe :p It was sooo quiet...but then again...from my experience with the V6 engine..the exhaust note gets louder as the car/exhaust warms up. the hotter it gets..the louder..so i don't know. didn't hear it at full warm up. I think..
Old 01-19-2002, 07:21 PM
Banned

I think the comptech exhaust is louder in the cabin than it is outside of the car....
Old 01-19-2002, 10:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Sounds like the inserts Apex developed for their exhausts for the same reason. This might be just the thing for people with Comptech Exhausts who do long distance driving every now and then and dont want that drone for the whole trip. Nice find Modesto.
Old 01-20-2002, 03:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Crzy Acura
I think the comptech exhaust is louder in the cabin than it is outside of the car....
True. I love the sound outside the car... but HATE the droning sound inside. Fake Tips are fine for me.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:46 PM
Banned

You guys are nuts...the Comptech Exhaust is SOOOO quiet, I mean like barely louder than stock. If the droning inside the car bothers you why not Dynamat or Cascade your car? Dampen out the sound.

Austin519
Old 01-20-2002, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Austin519
You guys are nuts...the Comptech Exhaust is SOOOO quiet, I mean like barely louder than stock. If the droning inside the car bothers you why not Dynamat or Cascade your car? Dampen out the sound.

Austin519

If I dynamat my trunk, ya think that would help alot? I just want it to be a little less noise than i have now.

Plus my subs are rattling somthing under the car from the rear.. its weird. I cant find the rattle, would dynamat fix that too?
Old 01-20-2002, 09:25 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by Crzy Acura

If I dynamat my trunk, ya think that would help alot? I just want it to be a little less noise than i have now.

Plus my subs are rattling somthing under the car from the rear.. its weird. I cant find the rattle, would dynamat fix that too?
If you just dynamat the trunk, it is not going to help much. You are going to have to dynamat the whole floorpan inside the cabin, as well as all the doors and trunk if you want to hear the exhaust noise less.

As for your rattling in the back, have you checked your license plate frame?
Old 01-20-2002, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by AcuraTL

As for your rattling in the back, have you checked your license plate frame?
its not the frame... i already put weather stripping on the frame itself, and it doesnt rattle anymore...

the rattle is coming from UNDER the car, like near the exhaust.. its weird, i cant find anything loose or moving. Im thinking it may be the spare tire???? I dunno but i will try to take out the spare and put in a blanket there and see if that helps.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:06 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Eureka! Good News! The Quiet Tip Insert that I bought from Comptech was professionally installed yesterday, and it is VERY QUIET; it also looks nice.

So the sometimes annoying sound around 2000 rpm
disappeared. The sound level decreased substantially.

Total cost to get rid of the problem: $40.00. Being able to drive within having to worry about it: PRICELESS.

Comptech Quiet Tip Insert: VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Old 01-20-2002, 10:25 PM
Banned

modesto

Does it sound like stock now? Or can you still hear it a little?
Old 01-21-2002, 02:17 AM
Banned

AcuraTL:
"If you just dynamat the trunk, it is not going to help much. You are going to have to dynamat the whole floorpan inside the cabin, as well as all the doors and trunk if you want to hear the exhaust noise less. "

It's not going to help stop the noise from the exhaust? I totally disagree. Think of the sound being emitted from the exhaust...think of how it enters your cabin. If you dynamat the floor of the trunk, as well as the rear wall, you should have a pretty good sound level decrease. Dynamatting the doors won't do anything (again, think about the sound waves).

Austin519
Old 01-21-2002, 08:48 AM
Drifting

I've been thinking of getting a Comptech Exhaust for my car and would like to hear how it sounds. There are no cars in my area that have it so if you guys know where I can hear a sound clip please let me know the address.
Thanks
Old 01-21-2002, 10:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ya, comptech exhaust is quiet...compared to what...sitting in the front row at a formula 1 race?

Quiet isn't the word I would use... what does that make the stock exhaust...silent?

Took a ride at the last meet with a guy to listen to the comptech's and they may be slightly quieter than my 5.0 stang with flowmaster headers and exhuast.

Don't mind the sound outside, but don't want it inside....and I wanted the comptech's too...

Post some pics and a sound clip with your inserts.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

Cool

I think that the posts concerning the quiet tips insert have left the impression (specially for those who are considering the Comptech Exhaust) that the Comptech Exhaust is loud. It is not.

I prefer the sound of the Comptech over the stock except at low rpm. For me the quiet tips make the sound more pleasant at any speed.

Maybe I have become too sensitive to sounds. So it is a matter of taste and sensitivity.

Therefore, if you are planning to buy Comptech, go for it! You will be happy.

As soon as I am able to take some pictures of the inserts, I will post them.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:07 PM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by Austin519
AcuraTL:
"If you just dynamat the trunk, it is not going to help much. You are going to have to dynamat the whole floorpan inside the cabin, as well as all the doors and trunk if you want to hear the exhaust noise less. "

It's not going to help stop the noise from the exhaust? I totally disagree. Think of the sound being emitted from the exhaust...think of how it enters your cabin. If you dynamat the floor of the trunk, as well as the rear wall, you should have a pretty good sound level decrease. Dynamatting the doors won't do anything (again, think about the sound waves).

Austin519
I put the super dynamat all over my trunk and trunk lid, it does not help lower the exhaust noise. What annoys most people is the droning sound, which is almost a resonant sound. In order to get rid of that, you would need to dynamat the interior floor pan, as well as the doors. When you do that, it will absorb most of the droning noise, as well as road noise. One down side is that dynamat is expensive and you will have to tear out your whole interior to install them.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:00 PM
Banned

AcuraTL:
I see...well it should have dampened it some...as for resonating sounds...it's possible that the exhaust is setting up a resonance effect with the car...although I haven't checked the resonance frequencies of various parts of the car...even so the dynamat should have helped that a good bit. Also, you don't have to use dynamat...there are much less expensive and as good of quality things out there, such as Cascade...

Austin519
Old 01-21-2002, 11:03 PM
Racer

Originally posted by JetJock
I've been thinking of getting a Comptech Exhaust for my car and would like to hear how it sounds. There are no cars in my area that have it so if you guys know where I can hear a sound clip please let me know the address.
Thanks
Check out the FAQ's on this site. It is FAQ #14. There are 2 sound clips.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:29 AM
Type SSS

"it's only somewhat loud and annoying at low rpms cruising on the highway"

AGREED
Old 10-06-2002, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Q, Would a quiet tip insert cut down on the air flow and defeat the pourpose of the exaust. I just want the exaust because I might end up with OBX header sometime soon and it does not make sense to increase the header size without doing the same for the back preasure. I do not like the rice sound and want the exaust to be un noticable to the ear. Any opinions?

By the way I know this thread is ancient but I did not want to start a new one. Gotta love the search button!
Old 10-06-2002, 08:28 PM
Drifting

JPTLS,
i just installed my CT's yest and i think they sound so nice... not to loud but not to quiet and looks perfect on the car.... my friends even thought he sound was sweet.

Get 1!
Old 10-06-2002, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by JPTLS21
By the way I know this thread is ancient but I did not want to start a new one. Gotta love the search button!
Old 10-06-2002, 10:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by modesto
I think that the posts concerning the quiet tips insert have left the impression (specially for those who are considering the Comptech Exhaust) that the Comptech Exhaust is loud. It is not.

I prefer the sound of the Comptech over the stock except at low rpm. For me the quiet tips make the sound more pleasant at any speed.

Maybe I have become too sensitive to sounds. So it is a matter of taste and sensitivity.

Therefore, if you are planning to buy Comptech, go for it! You will be happy.

As soon as I am able to take some pictures of the inserts, I will post them.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by franka624

I had the Comptech mufflers installed at Park Ave. 15 minutes into my ride home I called the service manager and told him I wanted them off! The sound from outside the car is not loud at all, it actually sounds good, but inside the car there is an unbearable drone between 1500 and 2500 rpm, just where you do most of your driving. After speaking to friends I agreed to try the quiet tip inserts, so I ordered them. But when I found out that you lose any hp increase when you install the tips, I decided to go back to stock. Ifthe mufflers did not cost $800 installed, I would have used the tips and kept the mufflers, because they do look good and they are well made. So after I had my stock mufflers put back on I bought a pair of tips for $50 and had them welded on at Midas for $20. To be honest the tips look better than the stock or the Comptech mufflers. And if anyone is looking for a pair of quiet inserts, let me know.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

oh let me tell you that the comptechs are quiet but, realize this. when you drive the car for long periods of time like for an hour straight in like 90 degree weather, then the comptechs will groan and make quite a bit of low rumble that could get loud fo some people. so unless you do alot of driving in hot weather then the exhuast is very very quiet. other than that it makes is share of noise.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by franka624
I had the Comptech mufflers installed at Park Ave. 15 minutes into my ride home I called the service manager and told him I wanted them off! The sound from outside the car is not loud at all, it actually sounds good, but inside the car there is an unbearable drone between 1500 and 2500 rpm, just where you do most of your driving. After speaking to friends I agreed to try the quiet tip inserts, so I ordered them. But when I found out that you lose any hp increase when you install the tips, I decided to go back to stock. Ifthe mufflers did not cost $800 installed, I would have used the tips and kept the mufflers, because they do look good and they are well made. So after I had my stock mufflers put back on I bought a pair of tips for $50 and had them welded on at Midas for $20. To be honest the tips look better than the stock or the Comptech mufflers. And if anyone is looking for a pair of quiet inserts, let me know.
This is a very funny post... and I'll tell you why.

1) Any exhaust you add to your car makes noise both inside and outside the car....nothing you can do about that.

2) The quiet tips will do the job.. so that was smart to order them. However, the fact that you put your stocks on b/c you lost HP by inserting the tips is hilarious. The reason that it is is b/c the Comptech exhausts only give you 1-2HP MAX... inserting the tips may cost you .5hp or less. If you liked the exhaust... you should have kept them. Anything is better looking then those awful cans.

3) Both this site and JC Whitney sell tips which fit our cars perfectly.... and do not require welding, so it would cost you less then $70.

4) $800 installed Holy crap man.. that's a lot. The exhausts can be had for around $575 shipped. Installation should take 30 min. in your driveway.....

Anyway.. sorry to single you out... but there are a lot of posts like yours, so I just used it as an example.

I have the Comptechs... had them for about a year now.. and i love them. I do 95% highway driving when the RPMS are in the 2k range and the drone does not bother me at all. I do not think it's anywhere near as loud as people complain...however, I realize that that complaint is subjective, and will differ from person to person.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally posted by juniorbean

This is a very funny post... and I'll tell you why.

1) Any exhaust you add to your car makes noise both inside and outside the car....nothing you can do about that.

2) The quiet tips will do the job.. so that was smart to order them. However, the fact that you put your stocks on b/c you lost HP by inserting the tips is hilarious. The reason that it is is b/c the Comptech exhausts only give you 1-2HP MAX... inserting the tips may cost you .5hp or less. If you liked the exhaust... you should have kept them. Anything is better looking then those awful cans.

3) Both this site and JC Whitney sell tips which fit our cars perfectly.... and do not require welding, so it would cost you less then $70.

4) $800 installed Holy crap man.. that's a lot. The exhausts can be had for around $575 shipped. Installation should take 30 min. in your driveway.....

Anyway.. sorry to single you out... but there are a lot of posts like yours, so I just used it as an example.

I have the Comptechs... had them for about a year now.. and i love them. I do 95% highway driving when the RPMS are in the 2k range and the drone does not bother me at all. I do not think it's anywhere near as loud as people complain...however, I realize that that complaint is subjective, and will differ from person to person.
\

I AGREE!!!! I EVEN REMOVED ONE OF MY RESONATORS JUST TO GET A LITTLE MORE SOUND