Questions on DIY timing belt job

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on DIY timing belt job

Hi guys,

I posted previously on motioneffects DIY timing belt thread, but I had a few more questions.

1. Does the waterpump come with gasget and do I need to apply a bead of silcone to it befor placed on engine?

2. How (where do you find it) do I use the battery tie down to relieve tension on the timing belt, I thought the timing belt adjuster/tensioner would?

3. I understand to allign your cam timing marks with the cover plate, but if you could just mark the cams with paint (w/o lining up the cam timing marks) when you pull off the cover, couldn't you just pull of the belt w/o lining up anything? RISKY if it moves!

Thanks guys, I will let you know how it comes out.

Jason
Old 01-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
1.The water pump does come with a new gasket. RTV is not necessary.

2.When you have the timing belt cover off, you will see the adjuster. Coming from the back of the engine, you will see a tab with a thread hole next to the adjuster. Screw the battery tie down into the threaded tab and that should relieve the tension.

3. It wouldn't make sense not to line up all the timing marks. Its just a few rotation and all the marks are lined up. I mark the cams and crank "just in case" if something does happen.

The timing belt change is easy, the hardest part is getting to all the bolts for the timing belt cover.

Good Luck!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Advanced

2. Remove the 2 10mm black bolts holding the tensioner to the engine block, and this will relieve tension on the belt. Then put the tensioner in a vise and compress the piston back into its hole. You will see a tinny little hole in the piston and the tensioner body- slide a pin in there to hold the piston in place. Then when you are ready and the new belt is lined up, after bolting the tensioner to the block- remove the pin.

Make sure there is no excess oil inside the tensioner housing, if there is then the tensioner is shot and you need a new one.

3. What I like to do is mark the marks with a sharpee marker and then when I have the belt on the CAM sprockets- I zip tie it to the sprockets. Then I put the belt on the crank and make sure that all slack is on the timing belt tensioner roller side. Pop that pin out of the tensioner and you are done. Cut the zip ties off the cam pulleys and rotate the engine around to make sure its timmed right.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Owner www.2ndgen.info

Can we get a torque list on the bolts involved in doing the change?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Advanced

Hi guys thanks for the GREAT follow up info.

A few more questions, I am going to flush ps and coolant fluid as well, a couple of questions.

1. How do I tension the PS belt, and how much tension? I worry that I might cause some pump damage if I over tension, could I mark on the top of the long bolt (assuming that is the tensioner)and tighten up to the mark?

2. How much fluid to buy? Is honda (I have a 05 pilot and bought a container of 50/50 antifreeze, 1 gallon of blue in color liquid) ok to use, or do I need acura only?

3. PS fluid, how many quarts? Honda ok as well to use?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
pretty sure all standard honda fluids are ok to use in acura's. i've been sold trans, coolant, and P/S from Acura dealers marked Honda.