Question for you car techies

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2000, 09:36 PM

Question Question for you car techies

Umm... please bare with me, as I am not too good with cars and I didn't quite get a complete understanding of this problem I am having in a previous post.

My transmission won't shift in 1. It shifts into P, R, D4, D3, 2, but not 1. I have noticed also that at times it's very jerky. In automatic mode, when I floor it, sometimes it won't lock on a gear and the engine will rev past the redline, to avoid this I have to take my foot off the gas, and let the engine grab a gear and then floor it again. In sport-shift mode, when decelarting and going from 4-3, or 3-2, sometimes there is no noticeable decelartion in the car as a result of strictly applying the downshift, other times it works fine. I also don't get much acceleration on highway when going from 2-3 to 3-4. Occasionally it's very slow getting up from 70KM/HOUR to say 110KM/HOUR.

Can anyone give me any advice or help!! much appreciated.

Oh and one more question, my car is a 99TL with 7800KM on it, would I need a new transmission? and if so, can Acura try to screw me by giving me a rebuilt one (I heard they aren't that reliable, and could decrease resale value of car)? How can I make sure I don't get screwed in this case?
Old 11-26-2000, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, bummer. Could be a lot of things, possibly just a clogged transmission filter or perhaps a faulty torque converter.

Maybe even a bad computer controller for the tranny. Acura will not necessarily owe you a new tranny even if it's bad; consider that if they fix it then you will be the owner of a rebuilt transmission - your own! This is not necessarily a bad thing. heck, with the logic that you deserve a brand-new tranny, why not go all the way and demand a new car? (I'm being a smart ass here)

Seriously - take it in and have them take a look. I bet it's a minor problem, good luck and keep us posted.

I don't suppose you've put non-Acura fluid in there, did you? That would be bad...

------------------
'01 pearlescent white
-Wing, tint, cop-finder
'88 White RX-7 Convertible
-Permanent tinitus courtesy of Rockford-Fosgate
Old 11-27-2000, 12:00 AM

Hi,

I haven't touched the fluid or anything.
As for repairing a transmission, my understanding is that it is a very difficult process and requires a top notch mechanic, I am not keen on letting a mechanic that has problems doing wheel alignments on my car, try his hands on repairing my transmission. Oh well, I will get it checked out tomorrow, hopefully it is something very simple and easy to fix. The Acura dealerships I have gone to can barely handle those kind of problems.