Question about installing an aftermarket car deck.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 11:12 PM
TL ftw!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about installing an aftermarket car deck.

Okay since today I was a huge sale at bestbuy I decided to pickup an Insignia audio car deck. It plays CD-R's/Mp3's/Wma's and I got it for $49.99 along with a pair of Dual 6.5 speakers. I was wondering if this will fit the TL? Anyone have pictures of an aftermarket deck on their TL? I want to see how it looks after being installed. Oh yeah should I get the Dual 6.5 speakers installed or what? If yes, should I remove the bose speakers in the front sides?
Old 11-26-2005, 12:18 AM
Agean Blue Bishes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we have a AUDIO VIDEO SECTION for a reson

you neeed metra kit and wiring harness.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:36 AM
The penguins are crazy

well we have a bose sound system in our cars stock, which means its running at a different ohm load than your new deck will. also it means factory amplifiers and such which need to be bypassed usually. you'll definetely need a dash kit, a wiring harness, and a sven4 (if dealing with periphial) i believe... been working since 6:30 this morning, so i could be off by a little.... but yeah the 6.5's will fit in the door. hope that sounds good for you.....
Old 11-26-2005, 12:53 AM
TL ftw!

Originally Posted by GQ_22
well we have a bose sound system in our cars stock, which means its running at a different ohm load than your new deck will. also it means factory amplifiers and such which need to be bypassed usually. you'll definetely need a dash kit, a wiring harness, and a sven4 (if dealing with periphial) i believe... been working since 6:30 this morning, so i could be off by a little.... but yeah the 6.5's will fit in the door. hope that sounds good for you.....

Yeah thanks alot man but Im still kind of lost. What is a dash kit? And do you think bestbuy would have that? So is it a good idea if I put the Insignia car audio deck on the TL along with the pair of 6.5's or will it sound like shit without the aftermarket subs?
Old 11-26-2005, 02:38 AM
The penguins are crazy

Originally Posted by KamikazeTL
Yeah thanks alot man but Im still kind of lost. What is a dash kit? And do you think bestbuy would have that? So is it a good idea if I put the Insignia car audio deck on the TL along with the pair of 6.5's or will it sound like shit without the aftermarket subs?
I view insignia and dual's as more of an off brand. Basically you'll get what you pay for. A dash kit is a plastic trim piece that will go around the new aftermarket radio to make it fit into the dash, and help it match, since you'll be taking out the factory double din tape/cd piece. Best buy has them, prob gonna charge you 15-20 bucks. The harness they'll charge you 15-20 bucks, makes wiring the deck in way easier.

I personally wouldnt put a dual or insignia product into my vehicle. There are better products out there, that will sound much better. If you want something basic and cheap however they'll produce sound. Remember though, you will need extra electronic pieces to get around the stock bose system.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:54 AM
6th Gear

I hate to bash on you when I'm a noob, but whatever.

I cannot believe that you would contemplate putting such garbage in your car. In all reality your factory bose system will probably outperform it. You paid how much for your car? And you pony up enough cash to get a REAL stereo. You ain't drivin a honda civic son.

For starters, what is it you want? You mentioned subs and if that's the case you don't need an aftermarket deck. Get these things and have them professionaly installed. I'm even in a good mood so I'll spell it out for you -

1. 2 Channel line output converter with remote turn-on
2. 2 Channel amp with a bass knob
3. A well built box, none of that pressboard shit.
4. Sufficient Wiring and rca's (I reccomend at least 4 gauge).
5. Professional install
6. Professional install
7. Professional install

Oh and your buddies don't count as pro's

Oh and forgot to add, start looking at real brands. Diamond audio, boston acoustics, and kenwood excelon are a great starting point.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:17 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by got_no_sol
I hate to bash on you when I'm a noob, but whatever.

I cannot believe that you would contemplate putting such garbage in your car. In all reality your factory bose system will probably outperform it. You paid how much for your car? And you pony up enough cash to get a REAL stereo. You ain't drivin a honda civic son.

For starters, what is it you want? You mentioned subs and if that's the case you don't need an aftermarket deck. Get these things and have them professionaly installed. I'm even in a good mood so I'll spell it out for you -

1. 2 Channel line output converter with remote turn-on
2. 2 Channel amp with a bass knob
3. A well built box, none of that pressboard shit.
4. Sufficient Wiring and rca's (I reccomend at least 4 gauge).
5. Professional install
6. Professional install
7. Professional install

Oh and your buddies don't count as pro's

Oh and forgot to add, start looking at real brands. Diamond audio, boston acoustics, and kenwood excelon are a great starting point.
WORD, WORD AND WORD.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:08 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree do not put that shit deck in your car or those speakers. the stock sound system is much best than those brands. If you don't have a lot of money and want a good system get an Alpine CDA series CD player, Kenwood Excelon 6 1/2's and a 4 channel amp to power them again I would go with Kenwood Excelon for best bang for the buck. You can score Kenwood Excelon gear on ebay for very cheap. I got a pair of 6 1/2" for about 60.00 shipped and 4x6's for 55 shipped, they have been in my wifes corrolla for over 2years being amped the whole time and being abused the whole time and still sound great.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:12 PM
TL ftw!

Originally Posted by sbuswell
I agree do not put that shit deck in your car or those speakers. the stock sound system is much best than those brands. If you don't have a lot of money and want a good system get an Alpine CDA series CD player, Kenwood Excelon 6 1/2's and a 4 channel amp to power them again I would go with Kenwood Excelon for best bang for the buck. You can score Kenwood Excelon gear on ebay for very cheap. I got a pair of 6 1/2" for about 60.00 shipped and 4x6's for 55 shipped, they have been in my wifes corrolla for over 2years being amped the whole time and being abused the whole time and still sound great.

How about if I get a refund for the deck and buy an IPOD NANO for the TL? How would the IPOD NANO sound in the Bose system? Oh yeah any ideas to where I could hook up the Ipod? I don't want it to be just hanging around
Old 11-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Id just opt for a better Aftermarket HU, then from there see if you need different speakers.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:02 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Id just opt for a better Aftermarket HU, then from there see if you need different speakers.
Have you heard of bose?
Old 11-26-2005, 11:04 PM
6th Gear

Oh and forgot to add.

How about if I get a refund for the deck and buy an IPOD NANO for the TL? How would the IPOD NANO sound in the Bose system? Oh yeah any ideas to where I could hook up the Ipod? I don't want it to be just hanging around
The only easy way is fm mod. All other ways (read: good ways) require money, which you don't seem to have much of
Old 11-27-2005, 12:28 AM
TL ftw!

Oh and forgot to add.

The only easy way is fm mod. All other ways (read: good ways) require money, which you don't seem to have much of

Yes thats true I am low on money right now
Old 11-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Toronto, ONTARIO

i paid $4500 for my whole system sounds great looks great!!

list:
alpine iva-d310 (7" tv/dvd)
2x 12" Rockford Fosgate T1 POWER (T112D4)
Rockford Fosgate POWER AMP (forgot the model)
Clarion Amp (APA450)
Alpine TYPE S SPEAKERS 5-1/4" SPS-130A (FRONT / BACK)
CUSTOM MADE LARGER BOX

PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION for EVERYTHING.. EXPENSIVE
Old 11-27-2005, 12:40 AM
Toronto, ONTARIO

check it out... i cant even turn up my volume or sub all the way... its WAY too strong

volume level 14/30 sub level 9/15
thats the highest i can go.. it overpowers my car!

and the sub knobs.. about half way

if i were to turn it up all the way all the subs and volume... i think my car will just break apart LOL
Old 11-27-2005, 02:11 AM
The penguins are crazy

bose systems are almost always an all or nothing system, unless you use special electronics pieces to get around this, but even then you're still not getting the best sound quality possible. BEST scenario for our cars is to rip the entire set up from the car, start over with new deck, speakers, amps, and sub(s). tight budget is a dangerous thing when doing this.

if you just want an ipod there are some fairly spendy pieces that hook into the factory system and allow you slight control from your deck, but i just use a tape adapter on mine for now. better than fm modulating, cause those sound like crap.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:26 AM
Acura drove me away too..

Received 107 Likes on 66 Posts
Okay since today I was a huge sale at bestbuy I decided to pickup an Insignia audio car deck. It plays CD-R's/Mp3's/Wma's and I got it for $49.99 along with a pair of Dual 6.5 speakers. I was wondering if this will fit the TL? Anyone have pictures of an aftermarket deck on their TL? I want to see how it looks after being installed. Oh yeah should I get the Dual 6.5 speakers installed or what? If yes, should I remove the bose speakers in the front sides?
Do yourself a favor and take that back....now!!!
There was a reason that radio was selling for 49.99 w/ free speakers. Put that money towards a 1/2 way decent radio.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Advanced

Kamikaze, everyone here is right... in my case, I got a V6 Accord new and put on rims/$3k Cdn stereo and it amazes me even after 4yrs of having it. Moral of the story, if you have a nice machine, the TL then get a nice system at least as good, if not better than the stock one otherwise you are wasting your money! Take that $49 cheapo system back and spend it on a date with your girlfriend or take an inter-state trip on a tank of gas lol for that money.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Have you heard of bose?
You calling me a :noob:

Yes ive heard of BLOZ, removing the HU and bypassing the BLOZ EQ will make teh system sound better, Plus with the stuff he was talking about installing, The BLOZ would sound better.

By the way, with 5 posts you dont get the right to call anyone a :noob: :noob:
Old 11-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Have you heard of bose?
You calling me a

Yes ive heard of BLOZ, removing the HU and bypassing the BLOZ EQ will make teh system sound better, Plus with the stuff he was talking about installing, The BLOZ would sound better.

By the way, with 5 posts you dont get the right to call anyone a
Old 11-27-2005, 09:19 PM
TL ftw!

Originally Posted by 05v6solara
Kamikaze, everyone here is right... in my case, I got a V6 Accord new and put on rims/$3k Cdn stereo and it amazes me even after 4yrs of having it. Moral of the story, if you have a nice machine, the TL then get a nice system at least as good, if not better than the stock one otherwise you are wasting your money! Take that $49 cheapo system back and spend it on a date with your girlfriend or take an inter-state trip on a tank of gas lol for that money.

lol just took it back earlier.. I saw some nice pioneer deck for $149 and if I buy it, its going to be free installation but I buy the harness and metra kit which I don't have a problem. If I buy the Pioneer deck should I buy speakers with it or the Bose speakers will blend with the Pioneer deck? Any suggestions because I don't know anything about sound system so please help me you guys, thanks.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
go to the Audio/Video section under the "off topic" area - you will find out everything you need to know. and the stock bose door speakers are 4 ohm and the stock "sub" is 1 ohm
Old 11-28-2005, 12:11 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You calling me a

By the way, with 5 posts you dont get the right to call anyone a

Ha, mistook your age for your post count

And if you notice, I already pointed out that the bose he has would be better than the shit he was buying.

Kamikaze, a 149$ deck just ain't good enough for a tl. Is it physically in your power to save money?

Oh and btw, stop shopping at best buy for car stereo's.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:35 AM
TL ftw!

Ha, mistook your age for your post count

And if you notice, I already pointed out that the bose he has would be better than the shit he was buying.

Kamikaze, a 149$ deck just ain't good enough for a tl. Is it physically in your power to save money?

Oh and btw, stop shopping at best buy for car stereo's.

So whats good enough for a "TL" then?
Old 11-28-2005, 02:55 AM
The penguins are crazy

depends on what you want, i love the kenwood kdcx689, cause of the flip around face. eclipse decks are excellent for clarity. upper alpines are nice too. expect 280-350 for a decent deck. pioneer speakers suck btw. dirty sounding. really depends on budget. you set up a budget and i/we'll tell you what you can get.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator

So whats good enough for a "TL" then?
Honestly just about any thing. But i would look for something that has like a built in eq, while not necessary, if your keeping the stock speakers it does help when adjusting the sound.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Cruisin'

ok kamikaze
stop shopping at best buy, come to circuit city j/p (i work there)

dual sucks, and that other brand is whack as wellhere what i did.

in my case the original radio had to go because it wouldn't play burnt cd's.
so i got rid of that and bought the D1. (pioneer) the bypass was a cake and i mounted a 1/2 din dvd player in the glove box.
I had to custom cut a dash kit out of abs plastic, not hard just time consuming.

The bose speakers in the car SUCK. they are plain paper cone. Just pull them out, you'll see.
i put 6 1/2 inch speakers, infinity components, with separate tweeters, and regular infinity coaxial in the back, 6 1/2 as well.
those speakers are powered by a 4 channel infinity 7541 a.

i built a custom box with 2 mtx 5500, pushed by a mono infinity 1211, vented shooting through the factory 9" subwoofer hole.
retail price of my system with all the parts labor and wiring runs about i'd say $4k
but working at circuit city pays off. I actually got everything directly from the manufactor for about $1300

and believe me it sounds AWESOME.

So take my advice stick to ur factory setup and save some money. It'll just look extremely funny stepping in a tl, with leather seats, woodgrain and then seeing a cheap noNAME brand HU with the sound of cheap speakers.
just save ur money and stick to factory for now