Quarter mile times for a stock TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 12:33 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Quarter mile times for a stock TL-S

I'm new to the Board and i would like to know what my car does on the quarter mile! I've got a 2002 3.2 TL type-s. I know that the 0-60 is 6.6 secs. i just would liek to know that the stock quarter mile is tks !!

Wesley
Old 07-25-2001, 03:01 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
Motor Trend says 14.7 seconds
Car and Driver says 14.8 seconds
AutoWorld Magazine says 14.8 seconds
Old 07-25-2001, 04:54 PM
Acura TL-S

running at the track says its in the 15's
Old 07-25-2001, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by ZodiakTL
running at the track says its in the 15's
The car is capable of 14 second ET's in stock trim. Actual performance at your local track is dependant upon weather, track conditions, track elevation, and driver skill.

My car ran consistent 14.60's in stock trim. That was in outstanding weather conditions at a sea level track. The best time I've posted with minor modifications is 14.22 (at the same track).
Old 07-25-2001, 09:24 PM
Racer

What track is this?

MR.T
Old 07-25-2001, 09:45 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by SSMAN66

The car is capable of 14 second ET's in stock trim. Actual performance at your local track is dependant upon weather, track conditions, track elevation, and driver skill.

My car ran consistent 14.60's in stock trim. That was in outstanding weather conditions at a sea level track. The best time I've posted with minor modifications is 14.22 (at the same track).
Nice runs!

What were your reaction times, what RPM did you launch at, and what shifting method did you use? SS, Manual, ??

RUF
Old 07-25-2001, 11:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I'll be dipping into the mid-13's this week w/ my "minor" mods (i.e. crazy glue, peanut butter, and a coat hanger).

(Oh, and I don't work for Honda like SS-Dude)
Old 07-26-2001, 01:01 AM
Instructor

Mr. T - All of my track time in the TL has been at Carlsbad Raceway. They're open for "test & tune" every Saturday from 1pm - 6pm.

Ruf87 - I did extensive track testing of SS vs. auto (D5) and found no difference. There is also no difference between VSA on or off. I either lost time to wheel hop with VSA off, or the power was limited by VSA on. My reaction times were .504 - .520. I was launching the car at 2500 rpm.

PeterUbers - Where I work has nothing to do with the performance of my car. My modifications are based on simple hot rodding techniques that enthusiasts have been doing since the birth of the automobile. My definition of "minor modifications" means simple tuning and a few bolt-on parts.
Old 07-26-2001, 08:58 AM
Intermediate

High 13's and low 14's?

I find that hard to believe. Do "bolt-ons" include slicks?
Old 07-26-2001, 09:17 AM
Instructor

I believe. Having a Honda employee on board is wonderful. SS, what mods do you have?
Old 07-26-2001, 09:37 AM
Acura TL-S

...have been doing since the birth of the automobile. My definition of "minor modifications" means simple tuning and a few bolt-on parts.
SSMAN66,

is it just me, or were u having the same issues on the CL forum where people just wouldnt believe u?

i keep hearing the same things in terms of weather/sea level/whatnot conditions... i dunno.. maybe Englishtown has some issues with their timers, or maybe its just a "slow" track, but what i ran is what i ran, and the S4 ran very similiar times. i'll try again when its not as humid and hot as it was. but really, those are the times i got, and they are real. but i keep asking for someone else to post slips of some of the times they got, and noone seems to be able to do that

but, on the bright side, i raced an LS400 yesterday off a light, and i kept about half a car ahead of him till about 70, then he had to merge behind me, so i dunno... my car is fast enough to take out most other cars on the street that i come across, regardless of the 1/4 times.
Old 07-26-2001, 11:58 AM
Intermediate

If you can post actual slips, then I am a believer. No offense, but I could say I pulled off a 13.8 1/4 mile and more than half the people on this site would think it was true.
Old 07-26-2001, 12:14 PM
Pro

Question Huh??

...Actual performance at your local track is dependant upon weather, track conditions, track elevation, and driver skill.
What driver's skill is involved in punching the accelerator on an auto-equipped car? The skill of torque braking?

I don't mean to probe around but I too drive an auto and there's no skill in mashing the accelerator other than shifting the tranny manually (and there's no skill in that!).
Old 07-26-2001, 12:31 PM
Acura TL-S

Re: Huh??

Originally posted by LegendCpeGS

What driver's skill is involved in punching the accelerator on an auto-equipped car? The skill of torque braking?

I don't mean to probe around but I too drive an auto and there's no skill in mashing the accelerator other than shifting the tranny manually (and there's no skill in that!).
driving an auto to its fastest times requires skills believe it or not. mashing the pedal on a fwd car does not automatically give u the fastest times. especially on a fwd car as powerful as the TL-S. u need to know how much it will slip, u can play around with brake torquing, and u need to know when to shift, cuz shifting at redline is not the best thing to do depending on ur power curve. will these things make u faster? apparently they can make u over a second faster, cuz magazines post mid to high 14's, while i got mid 15's. this was also the case with several other people who went with me to the track with their autos. so yes, it takes skills to drive an auto. when ur talking about getting top times on a drag strip, every little bit helps.
Old 07-26-2001, 01:33 PM
Instructor

chestertls - I'm not terribly concerned with what you invest faith in. At the current performance level there is no need to run the car on slicks. Slicks would improve 60' times, but they would hinder performance at the other end of the track due to rolling resistance. Last week I saw a Mustang run deep into the 9's on BFG drag radials, so nothing is impossible.

Webologist - Here is my list of modifications:

1. Cold Air Induction - I designed and built my own CAI. I spent a lot of time testing different tube diameters, tube lengths, degree of bends, and configurations. The AEM unit flows well, but sacrifices some velocity (and the fit is poor). Increased velocity equals more torque, but usually comes at the expense of flow volume (cfm). I found a good balance that works well for my combination. The entire unit is insulated with a ceramic coating, and then I wrapped it with insulation tape.

2. AEM power pulleys - These don't yield a tremendous difference, every little bit helps (and they look good!).

3. Throttle body modifications - I machined the throttle body to enlarge the diameter and fabricated a custom throttle plate. I milled the throttle shaft and installed the plate with "flush" button head screws. The intake manifold opening was also port-matched to the throttle body.

4. VTEC switch - I manually activate vtec by supplying direct power to the solenoid. In stock trim the engine falls out of vtec between gears.

My base line ET's (14.60's) were run without any modifications. The car was "as delivered" from the dealer.

After the above mod's, I make a few changes for the track:

1. I remove the accessory drive belts (no alternator, power steering, or a/c).

2. I run on NSX wheels (17x8). The wheels are much lighter than stock Type-S wheels.

3. I run on BFG GForce R1 racing tires (245/40/17). These tires utilize a very soft racing compound, and are delivered with only 3/32" tread depth. Traction is very good, and the shorter tire increases the effective gear ratio.

ZodiakTL - Again, I'm not concerned with what anyone believes. I spend quite a bit of time on the CL and TL forums sharing the results of my own trial and error. If you want help duplicating my results, I'm always here to help. For those who don't believe, I don't care

As for your own results at the track, there are so many variables. What is the altitude at your track? I can run low 14's at Carlsbad Raceway (sea level), but at Los Angeles County Raceway I'm in the low 15's (3500' elevation).

Air quality also varies greatly from day to day. ET's will be affected by atmospheric pressure, temperature, and humidity. Ask the staff at your track what the altitude correction factor is when you pick up your time slips. The altitude correction for the track I mentioned above (LACR) varies from 2500 - 5500 feet.

Driver experience is a major factor. I can't tell you how many racers I see that don't launch until the green light is lit. A perfect reaction time on a sportsman tree is .500. Launch when the 2nd amber is lit....don't wait for the green.

Keep a log of everything! For each run record atmospheric pressure, temperature, humidity, launch rpm, shift points, and tire pressure (it will increase as the tires heat up).
Old 07-26-2001, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

SSMAN thanks for the informative post. I hope you continue to post and share knowledge and experiences despite the cynicism that makes it way into the threads from time to time.
Old 07-26-2001, 02:51 PM
Acura TL-S

Thumbs up

...ll you how many racers I see that don't launch until the green light is lit. A perfect reaction time on a sportsman tree is .500. Launch when the 2nd amber is lit....don't wait for the green.

Keep a log of everything! For each run record atmospheric pressure, temperature, humidity, launch rpm, shift points, and tire pressure (it will increase as the tires heat up).
ssman,

the only reason i mentioned cl forum is cuz u seemed to get pretty upset and i think i remember seeing u say u were leaving. dont take things here personally. some believe, some dont (just like me with 1/4 time claims ) as far as altitude for my track, according to GPS its 36ft from sea level. this is pretty much NJ shore, so its not too far from the water. but i'll keep trying, and hopefully i'll see some better results.

also, the preparations u seem to put into taking the car to the track seem like they require quite a bit of time. i dont think most people would go as far as taking off belts and changing to differnt tires, as i believe most people here have this car as the primary vehicle. but more power to u, make a real dragster out of the TL
Old 07-26-2001, 03:25 PM
Instructor

ZodiakTL - My issue with the CL forum had nothing to do with cynics. It was the assault launched by one member who was suffering from a case of mistaken identity. It was the onslaught of threatening and obnoxious emails that I took personally. That member has since apologized to me directly, and publicly in the CL forum.

It takes less than 2 minutes to remove both belts, and I can swap the wheels in about 10 minutes. My TL is a daily driver, and it's far from being a "dragster". I have a dedicated race car, and it isn't an import
Old 07-26-2001, 05:20 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ZodiakTL - My issue with the CL forum had nothing to do with cynics. It was the assault launched by one member who was suffering from a case of mistaken identity. It was the onslaught of threatening and obnoxious emails that I took personally. That member has since apologized to me directly, and publicly in the CL forum.

It takes less than 2 minutes to remove both belts, and I can swap the wheels in about 10 minutes. My TL is a daily driver, and it's far from being a "dragster". I have a dedicated race car, and it isn't an import
So what is it???

Man, I believe you. You have explain a lot of things, that help a lot of people.....Thanks.. If you were in south florida, I would have you work on my TL any time.
Old 07-26-2001, 05:27 PM
Lead Footed

Re: Huh??

Originally posted by LegendCpeGS

Wrong 'O Dude.

Sure anyone can mash the gas and let the gears shift themselves or even do it manually. That's not where the skill differential is a factor. It's in the timing of those factors and that does make a difference. Anyone that's actually spent time a the drag strip know this first hand.

If that weren't the case then one could say that anyone who can steer a car can be an Indy or NASCAR driver.

RUF
Old 07-26-2001, 05:45 PM
Lead Footed

SSMAN66 -

You are right on in your post.

As an ex-hot rodder and part time drag racer I built my own engines and worked hard on coming up with the optimum combination. Guys could not believe that with a stock block 327 and stock double hump heads, expect for the 1.96 exhaust valves, hydraulic cam and a 750 Holly w/ vacuum operated secondaries I could turn 7800RPM in 1 and 2 gear with a TH350. I ran that engine like that for 4 years before refreshing it. As you know 7800RPM is very high for a V8.

Too bad you are so far away. I'd enjoy running to the strip with you and learning some of your mods.

BTW - I too tire of the naysayers whenever I post something. I guess it's the world we live in. I say let them whine. As with you, I know what I did. .

RUF
Old 07-26-2001, 11:12 PM
Safety Car

Jeez folks, if you can't take the criticism, get outta the proverbial kitchen! Everyone on this board is a superstar race driver, let's just call it at that, we're all superstar race drivers. No one seems to want to admit otherwise.

Hey, power to you if ya ran low 14's in yer TL-S at sea-level, with lighter rims, softer, grippier, shorter tires, and the homegrown mods you mentioned.

Peace, we're all friends here.
Old 07-26-2001, 11:23 PM
Safety Car

Hmm...

Where is 1SICKLEX w/ his two cents about how TL-S's can't get into the low 14's w/ mods because of the catalytic converter?

What a clown.
Old 07-26-2001, 11:30 PM
Lead Footed

Originally posted by PeterUbers
Jeez folks, if you can't take the criticism, get outta the proverbial kitchen! Everyone on this board is a superstar race driver, let's just call it at that, we're all superstar race drivers. No one seems to want to admit otherwise.

Hey, power to you if ya ran low 14's in yer TL-S at sea-level, with lighter rims, softer, grippier, shorter tires, and the homegrown mods you mentioned.

Peace, we're all friends here.
Nice, post.

And since were all friends we don't jump some post and call the guy a liar right? I have no problems with people questioning a post, but to attack it is not a friendly thing to do.

So I agree. Let's have fun and enjoy the posts. We can all learn something and share some experiences.

BTW - in order to be a superstar race driver you need to be running in the mid 14s.

Regards,
RUF
Old 07-27-2001, 09:45 AM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by Ruf87

Nice, post.

And since were all friends we don't jump some post and call the guy a liar right? I have no problems with people questioning a post, but to attack it is not a friendly thing to do.

So I agree. Let's have fun and enjoy the posts. We can all learn something and share some experiences.

BTW - in order to be a superstar race driver you need to be running in the mid 14s.

Regards,
RUF
can one of u guys accompany me to the track and push me with a big block that u built so i can get into low 14's? :p j/k

i'm going to the track next week with my CAI and hopefully cooler weather, and with luck i'll be able to hit those 14's.
Old 07-27-2001, 03:03 PM
Drifting

SSMAN,

How many mm bigger did yo make the TB? This is something I was thinking of doing. Can you help me out with this? I do know that the CL-S/TL-S gets a bigger TB from the factory. I have access to a machine shop, so any help would be appreciated. How did you make the custom plate for the tb? Any pictures? I would like to see pics of your intake, and TB. Do you mind taking some pics for us? Have you considered doing the 3.5l upgrade on your car? Is this somethign you have planned in the future?

Thanks,

Spiro
Old 07-27-2001, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Spiroh - I'll check the exact dimension with a micrometer this weekend. When I have the boot off I'll take some digital pictures.

The overall increase in diameter wasn't a lot (maybe +3mm). I mainly wanted to clean up the manufacturing irregularities. The biggest area of flow improvement came from milling the throttle shaft and using button head screws to attach it. In stock form the shaft is round, so it impedes flow.

I drilled the housing and installed bronze bushings to ensure smooth throttle operation. I machined a billet steel throttle shaft. I milled the center portion flat (3/32" thick), and put a slight radius on the edges. The new plate was machined from 1/16" brass (it is slightly thinner after milling to ensure flat surfaces).

I've considered machining a new throttle body from billet aluminum stock, but I'm not sure if I want to invest that much time and effort into this. Since I picked up my TL-S my other projects have been suffering from serious neglect
Old 07-29-2001, 02:35 PM
Lead Footed

cut -
The overall increase in diameter wasn't a lot (maybe +3mm). I mainly wanted to clean up the manufacturing irregularities. The biggest area of flow improvement came from milling the throttle shaft and using button head screws to attach it. In stock form the shaft is round, so it impedes flow.
You are way too much.

BTW - this sounds a lot like what I used to do with my V8, porting and matching the heads, exhaust and intake. Not polishing necessarily as that could hurt some applications.

Boy I wish I had access to some of those toys. But if I did, I'd have to tap into my kids education fund and that would upset some people.

RUF
Old 08-01-2001, 04:43 PM

Driver experience is a major factor. I can't tell you how many racers I see that don't launch until the green light is lit. A perfect reaction time on a sportsman tree is .500. Launch when the 2nd amber is lit....don't wait for the green.
Having a bad r/t is not going to effect your 1/4 mile time, at least not at any track i've ever been to....
Old 08-01-2001, 08:16 PM
Racer

Sup SSman,

I went to carlsband like 2 weeks ago and didn't have good times. I hate the dirt road The track is so getto compared to Pomona but no more Pomona . But a track is a track. I was wondering if you can help make my ride a little faster I always appreciate ppls help. Are you going to the track any time soon? I'll run you

Mr.T
Old 08-02-2001, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Mr. T - I don't know what is worse at Carlsbad, the dirt road entrance, the dirt lower level pit area, or the potholes on the return road It won't be an issue for much longer. The property has been sold, and the track will become a mall in not so distant future.

I'm more than happy to help with your car. This month is very busy for me, so I won't have a chance to head back to the track with the TL until the end of September. I'll let you know when I'm going
Old 08-02-2001, 04:59 PM
Cruisin'

top speed

anyone got sites or referrence to top speed?

doc
Old 08-03-2001, 01:19 AM
Racer

Talking

Any time man. I pretty much have alot of time on me

Mr.T
Old 08-03-2001, 10:32 AM
Acura TL-S

Re: top speed

Originally posted by DocDave
anyone got sites or referrence to top speed?

doc
top speed on what? if its tl-s, its 147mph, been there and hit the speed limiter.
Old 08-05-2001, 12:12 AM

Quote {1. Cold Air Induction - I designed and built my own CAI. I spent a lot of time testing different tube diameters, tube lengths, degree of bends, and configurations. The AEM unit flows well, but sacrifices some velocity (and the fit is poor). Increased velocity equals more torque, but usually comes at the expense of flow volume (cfm). I found a good balance that works well for my combination. The entire unit is insulated with a ceramic coating, and then I wrapped it with insulation tape.

2. AEM power pulleys - These don't yield a tremendous difference, every little bit helps (and they look good!).

3. Throttle body modifications - I machined the throttle body to enlarge the diameter and fabricated a custom throttle plate. I milled the throttle shaft and installed the plate with "flush" button head screws. The intake manifold opening was also port-matched to the throttle body. }

Wow and I havent seen you at carlsbad ever, used to run a 67 mustang K-code down their all the time. Latly a turbo 2001 bug, I would be really interested in you Cold air intake system, I for one whould like to see it if possible, I have been desigining a cold air system for my 914 latly as well as windage trays that don't effect the cooling of the motor or fuel system. Unfortunatly I don't really have much experience with import tuning, always worked on big block motors where all you have to do is just cram as much air down as possible.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

While at.......

Battle of the Import here in Denver I ran 1/4 in 15.7. That's with hight elevation!
Old 08-06-2001, 07:16 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4. VTEC switch - I manually activate vtec by supplying direct power to the solenoid. In stock trim the engine falls out of vtec between gears.

[/B]
VTEC switch?? How does that work?? Does it keep the vtec on? How did you hook it up. Oh how do you integrate the alpine monitor to the Bose system. Do you have the Apexi V-AFC??