Purple Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purple Headlights?

I had my TL for a month and I noticed that when I turn on the headlights its a really bright blue beam it gives off... but then after a minute the blue fades to a purple... do I need to replace the bulbs? Or is that with all TL's?
Old 03-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Resident Troll.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the bulbs are probably on their way out. Might be a good time to upgrade to a set of 6000k's
Old 03-02-2005, 03:55 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackTL1999
I had my TL for a month and I noticed that when I turn on the headlights its a really bright blue beam it gives off... but then after a minute the blue fades to a purple... do I need to replace the bulbs? Or is that with all TL's?
Time to replace bubba. I suggest replacing both at the same time, as it is hard to match the color that the bulbs give off
Old 03-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Intermediate

How much is it to replace it? And where do I go to replace the bulbs?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:50 PM
1999 Acura 3.2 TL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh, no wonder my passenger side headlight is purple and the driver`s side isn`t. Lol, my driver`s side bulb was replaced with a brand new HID Bulb after I got into an accident. Shiba, I have to change it, where can I buy new HID Bulbs?
Old 03-02-2005, 07:28 PM
アキュラ 力

How much is it to replace it? And where do I go to replace the bulbs?
Try to PM Akinaboy, he might be able to hook you up.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:37 PM
6th Gear

Right on

yeah i would try akinaboy too... i got my 5k bulbs from him and they rock....you can probably find him selling on ebay already.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:43 PM
アキュラ 力

Ok here is the deal. A couple months ago, on of the bulbs on my '03 TL-s started going dim. I took it to the dealer and was told that unfortunately, bulbs are not covered under warranty. Now, since HID system is high voltage, it is suggested that you have an Acura technician replace the bulbs since it involves disconnecting the battery and what have you. I assume that the labor rates are pretty standard in Acura but my dealership charges $96 per hour. Initially I went in and asked to have the faulty bulb replaced. 1 hr later they come back and tell me that the bulb had been replaced but they wanted me to take a look at it. Upon examining the bulbs we noticed that the newer bulb gave off a bluer hue compared to the old bulb. The service adviser explained to me that Honda/Acura switched manufacturers for their bulbs and that there was a 50/50 chance of them installing a "matching" bulb. Hence I decided to have them replace the other working bulb to ensure that the colors matched. If not I would have one pinkish bulb and one bluish bulb and that would look horrible. Total damage, approximately $100 for labor, and $300 ($150 x 2) for the bulbs, ouch! I'm sure you can save some money searching for a DIY on bulb replacement and you can get the bulbs from someone here or through e-bay
Old 03-02-2005, 07:54 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

mine get replaced everytime theyre STOLEN!!!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JPTL-S
Ok here is the deal. A couple months ago, on of the bulbs on my '03 TL-s started going dim. I took it to the dealer and was told that unfortunately, bulbs are not covered under warranty. Now, since HID system is high voltage, it is suggested that you have an Acura technician replace the bulbs since it involves disconnecting the battery and what have you. I assume that the labor rates are pretty standard in Acura but my dealership charges $96 per hour. Initially I went in and asked to have the faulty bulb replaced. 1 hr later they come back and tell me that the bulb had been replaced but they wanted me to take a look at it. Upon examining the bulbs we noticed that the newer bulb gave off a bluer hue compared to the old bulb. The service adviser explained to me that Honda/Acura switched manufacturers for their bulbs and that there was a 50/50 chance of them installing a "matching" bulb. Hence I decided to have them replace the other working bulb to ensure that the colors matched. If not I would have one pinkish bulb and one bluish bulb and that would look horrible. Total damage, approximately $100 for labor, and $300 ($150 x 2) for the bulbs, ouch! I'm sure you can save some money searching for a DIY on bulb replacement and you can get the bulbs from someone here or through e-bay
ya you need to have the dealer do it...just like they "have" to replace our in cabin air filter that takes 10 minutes to replace on your own...you could have easily saved your $100 by doing it yourself - you said it, all you have to do is unhook the battery (what you should do when you do any electrical work on your car anyway), and put the new bulbs in. Im sure they sat and looked at your car for 50 minutes before they put your bulbs in and charged you for an hour...fu&*ing stealerships!!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 10:01 PM
My "P" SpAnKs YouR "S"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-03-2005, 06:18 AM
USMC Butterbars

Originally Posted by ou sig
ya you need to have the dealer do it...just like they "have" to replace our in cabin air filter that takes 10 minutes to replace on your own...you could have easily saved your $100 by doing it yourself - you said it, all you have to do is unhook the battery (what you should do when you do any electrical work on your car anyway), and put the new bulbs in. Im sure they sat and looked at your car for 50 minutes before they put your bulbs in and charged you for an hour...fu&*ing stealerships!!!!

Just make sure you have latex gloves on when handling the bulbs. The oil on your fingers can cause the bulbs to break when they ignite.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Banned

Please refer to this thread for more info or use the search feature to find more info on HID upgrades.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=6000k
Old 03-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
not a hard thing to replace. takes 20 minutes to switch out the bulb once you have the right tools. for the bulbs, you should be able to find a pair of 6000k's for around 160-180 for both. it'll look freakin great once its done!
Old 03-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Racer

FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!! !! BlackTL jinxed me...LOL!!!! I'm driving home tonight and all the sudden my right HID turns purple.....

AAAAARRRGGGHHHH, I just spent $1000 at the stealership last month.

Should I replace myself? Sounds like its a lot cheaper. I have never replaced HID's before but I am mechanically inclined. Is it hard? Is there a DIY somewhere?

And what is a good set of bulbs to use?

Sorry for venting, just tired of doling out the funds.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Banned

yea or you could upgrade to 10k
Old 03-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by Elementz
FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!! !! BlackTL jinxed me...LOL!!!! I'm driving home tonight and all the sudden my right HID turns purple.....

Should I replace myself? Sounds like its a lot cheaper. I have never replaced HID's before but I am mechanically inclined. Is it hard? Is there a DIY somewhere?

mechanically inclined = DIY, Ive never done it, but Im sure its pretty obvious if you just look at it.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Racer

mechanically inclined = DIY, Ive never done it, but Im sure its pretty obvious if you just look at it.
Yeah, well like I said I HAVE NEVER DONE HID's and I don't particularly feel like electricuting myself or fucking something up.

Thnks for not being any help at all.....
Old 03-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Intermediate

Oh hell no... I didnt jinx no one lol... I just realized that when I have my lights on more then a hour it turns purple... but other then that the car is pretty much blue most of the time...
Old 03-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Future JDM Whore

its very very easy once u have the tools like someone said up above....i dont think there is a DIY about it but ill try to help......

**First you cant do the job without a T-20 tamper proof torx bit.....the one with the little hole in the center it can be found at PepBoys, AutoZone or almost any auto store**

1). When you pop the hood and look behind the headlight you will see a black "box" type thing held by the torx bit....the box is labeled lock and unlock if you look in the picture i tried to marked "x" on the spot where the box would be located.

2). Once you unscrew the cover....pay close attention.....you have to unplug the light before you twist the cover to unlock.....once you have unplugged the power plug you can now turn the cover to unlock and CAREFULLY remove it BUT you CANNOT take it off all of the way so just sit it to the side out of the way.

3). Now this part gets tricky so bare with me i wish i had the pics to show you but lets try.......once you take the cover off the back part of the socket which holds the bulb will be exposed..DONT TURN IT OR PULL ON IT.....if you look closely you will see another screw holdin a pin....DONT worry that screw does not have to be removed, just stick your finger under the bulb socket and you will feel the pin, push back and the pin should pop off and you should now be able to remove the bulb.

4). Once you remove the bulb DO NOT touch it with your hands i recommend that you use some sort of latex gloves or something because if you touch the bulb with your hand it will damage the bulb and you just wasted $160....now you will twist the bulb to towards the way it says unlock, remove the bulb and place the other one back in and lock it.

5). Now this is complicated because i have no pic to show you and its gonna be kinda hard explaining....when you put the bulb back in the is the little extra silver thing thats almost hanging off the bulb but its connected at the top, that part faces down when you put the bulb back in...also when you put the bulb back in, on the socket there will be two hole type patterns on the socket..those go to the top and the pin fits back in the slot. (sorry i dont have the pics man)

6). Once the bulb is in place plug the power back in to test the bulbs....now make sure your beam patterns are aligned if they are then you put the bulb back in correctly if not then you have to fix the bulb....you will hear a humming noise but dont worry that is because the HID is heating up and the cover isnt on to prevent you from hearing the noise....if everything is working fine just put the cover back on lock it and screw the cover back in place and your done with one side.

sorry about the pics man i hope that at least helped you out a little i tried to get it to u ASAP but hey if anyone else has the pics or can add onto my "DIY" be my guest.....good luck and i hope i helped
Old 03-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Boomer SOONER

Yeah, well like I said I HAVE NEVER DONE HID's and I don't particularly feel like electricuting myself or fucking something up.

Thnks for not being any help at all.....
wow, someone is a dickhead for no reason...I was just saying, you said you are a DIYer so maybe if you looked at it you could figgure it out - thats what I do, I didnt want you to go to a stealership and pay them way too much money for something you could do.

You obviously need the battery to be hooked up to be shocked...so unhook that and with a ballast, it will discharge on its own after you cut the power.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:57 AM
Racer

wow, someone is a dickhead for no reason...I was just saying, you said you are a DIYer so maybe if you looked at it you could figgure it out - thats what I do, I didnt want you to go to a stealership and pay them way too much money for something you could do.

You obviously need the battery to be hooked up to be shocked...so unhook that and with a ballast, it will discharge on its own after you cut the power.
Sorry bro. I was having a real bad day yesterday.....

I got to work this morning and looked at my lights and it is bad. My right light is REAL purple. Man, this thing went bad fast.

So Phillips 6000's or Xetronic 6000's are the way to go then?

Anyone know a quality site where I can get 'em?