Purchasing my first acura!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purchasing my first acura!

There is a 2000 acura 3.2tl for sale with 116K for 5500 and don't know whether to buy it or not? Is there too many miles on this vehicle? Will it last for another 100K? I am really confused. Is there anyone here that can give me some advice. I would be really greatful. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:44 PM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
see if the 105k service has been done, and if the transmission has got the oil jet put on it by the dealer
Old 05-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Instructor

i got my 03 with 111k for around that
Old 05-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaReaLi5T18
There is a 2000 acura 3.2tl for sale with 116K for 5500 and don't know whether to buy it or not? Is there too many miles on this vehicle? Will it last for another 100K? I am really confused. Is there anyone here that can give me some advice. I would be really greatful. Thank you!
All of the second generation TLs have significant transmission reliability issues. Some TL owners have replaced the transmission multiple times before reaching 100,000 miles.

Spend some time reading the Tranny Failure Thread before you buy:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-problems-fixes-117/tranny-failure-thread-566833/

A 2000 TL will not be covered by Acura's extended warranty on the transmission. An out-of-warranty transmission repair can cost $3,000 to $4,000.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Is this a private party or dealer sale?

Odds are it hasnt had the 105k miles service for that price-
that service is $1000+ and some other maitenance is probably behind too- brake fluid flush, ps fluid flush etc ~$500
That can lead to a lot of problems in brake parts or steering rack

Or it could be a well loved and cared for car that just a great price
Is it salvage-rebuilt title?

Call acura 1-800-382-2238x5 give them the VIN of the car
Ask for a `pre-buy history check`- was the trans ever replaced- was the recall to install the trans oil jet done? That doesnt fix the real trans problem but plays into if this is a good buy
Where has the car lived etc-

If you still like it, pay another shop 50 bucks to check everything over/under and see if its worth getting or needs 3 grand in repairs

The trans failure is a major issue- buy an extended waranty plan that covers trans replacement
selling the car with the miles where it needs the big service??
why are they selling? and for that price?

The miles are fine for the engine and rest of the car- its the issues described to you already that matter the most

If you have a tight budget consider- the TL needs Premium 91 octane gas and things like spark plugs are 50 bucks a set, brakes 300-500
something to consider if you are young and wanting a fun reliable low cost car
Maybe look at Honda's- the trans are better and run on 87 octane
Old 05-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

IMHO stay away from any car with 100k on the dash. Unless you plan on continuously putting money into it to keep in good shape its hardly worth it. Not to mention, when you're ready to get rid of it, it will be worthless. If you wind up having to drop on another 5 (or potentially much more) to keep the damn thing running during its life, its hardly worth it.

For that kind of money I'd look for something more "economical", even a Focus will probably wind up costing you a lot less in the long run.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 AM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by thisisnotdave
For that kind of money I'd look for something more "economical", even a Focus will probably wind up costing you a lot less in the long run.
WTF?

who wants to drive a focus?

i'd take an old TL over a newer focus all day
Old 05-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
but we are talking about a first car for a younger member- a TL with 115 may not be the best buying decision for practical reasons of $$ in ongoing maitenance and potential initial repeairs

Not every car with over 100 is crap- the TL will easily go 200-300,000 miles
IF you takle care of it- which means spending money now and then
Old 05-13-2009, 11:50 AM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
but we are talking about a first car for a younger member- a TL with 115 may not be the best buying decision for practical reasons of $$ in ongoing maitenance and potential initial repeairs

Not every car with over 100 is crap- the TL will easily go 200-300,000 miles
IF you take care of it- which means spending money now and then
which is why this is all circumstantial and depending on the condition and upkeep of the car in question. i'd almost be willing to bet that a well maintained TL with 100k will last Longer then a new focus if kept in regular maintainence
Old 05-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
WTF?

who wants to drive a focus?

i'd take an old TL over a newer focus all day
I bet you'd rather drive this focus instead of a TL

All im saying is that for a 17 year old, a focus with low mileage is a smarter choice. Not the more desirable one.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:50 PM
is out, so the

My TL-S was and still is my first car. Personally, even though I really love the car, it's too much car for a young driver like myself. If you haven't already found out, the TL is very stable at high speeds. This is not good because its very easy to speed without noticing. Even though the car may be priced low, sometimes low price doesn't balance maintence cost.

The TL is a reliable car, but it isn't cheap to own. 93+ Octane, brakes, tune-ups, 100,000 mile service, all these things are expensive.

If you can afford it, the TL also makes a good first car in a way.

-It looks good.
-Gets relatively good gas mileage.
-Very safe with Front and Side Airbags.
-Perfect size. Not too big, but not compact.
-Comes with alot of standard equipment.
-Did I mention it looks good?
-With maintence will last well over 100,000 miles.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:54 PM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by thisisnotdave
I bet you'd rather drive this focus instead of a TL

All im saying is that for a 17 year old, a focus with low mileage is a smarter choice. Not the more desirable one.
haha bet that thing still runs 15's

and lime green FTL lol

more desireable choice - TL
smarter choice - honda civic

priced the same and BETTER gas mileage and longevity is... well we all know how long those things run.

i was just pokin fun b/c of out of all the cheaper 4 cylinder cars, you picked a ford..
Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

No posted 1/4 mile times yet but the 0 - 62 is 5.9 which should work out the low 14's possibly high 13's. Its a 300hp / 335tq blown 5cyl (probably of volvo decent) going through a 6spd to a quaiffe active LSD. Im not trying to sell you on the car, but it definitely makes Focuses (Foci?) look damn good. Too bad the US will never see it.

Civis are a smart choice, but you'll definitely get a much newer Focus for the same $$$$$
Old 05-14-2009, 05:34 AM
極品インスパイア32V

Red face

I agree with thisisnotdave
If you are on budget...obviously if you are still a high school kid and powered by yourself, it's better to choose a newer economy car.
I am not saying that 99 TL is not a good choice but the 100k maintenance and premium gas are pretty expensive in the long run.
Although right now I am still driving my 02TL (bought it back in 01 when I was a high school kid)....
Old 05-14-2009, 12:40 PM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

Originally Posted by Allen-
My TL-S was and still is my first car. Personally, even though I really love the car, it's too much car for a young driver like myself. If you haven't already found out, the TL is very stable at high speeds. This is not good because its very easy to speed without noticing. Even though the car may be priced low, sometimes low price doesn't balance maintence cost.

The TL is a reliable car, but it isn't cheap to own. 93+ Octane, brakes, tune-ups, 100,000 mile service, all these things are expensive.

If you can afford it, the TL also makes a good first car in a way.

-It looks good.
-Gets relatively good gas mileage.
-Very safe with Front and Side Airbags.
-Perfect size. Not too big, but not compact.
-Comes with alot of standard equipment.
-Did I mention it looks good?
-With maintence will last well over 100,000 miles.
I sorta dont agree with it being an expensive car to maintain. Imo if you do most the normal stuff your self it really doesnt add up to be much. Putting 93 instead of 87 isnt a big difference. Depends on how stable you are with your income and expensives. I would say if you dont make enough to pay for your stuff, stay away. Once college starts if you decide to go, those books are gonna b a b$*%ch to buy.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:26 PM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by harminder247
I sorta dont agree with it being an expensive car to maintain. Imo if you do most the normal stuff your self it really doesnt add up to be much. Putting 93 instead of 87 isnt a big difference. Depends on how stable you are with your income and expensives. I would say if you dont make enough to pay for your stuff, stay away. Once college starts if you decide to go, those books are gonna b a b$*%ch to buy.
x2 ^^

i think i've spent a total of 300 bucks on my car in maintainence.. and thats only b/c the previous owner didnt change the motor mounts.

the rest of the money into it was because i chose to. not because the car needed it
Old 05-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
x2 ^^

i think i've spent a total of 300 bucks on my car in maintainence.. and thats only b/c the previous owner didnt change the motor mounts.

the rest of the money into it was because i chose to. not because the car needed it
That's great.

And I've had a similar experience with my 1999 TL.

But all it takes is one non-warranty covered transmission failure to drive TL ownership costs through the roof.

And there's little in terms of preventative maintenance that will keep a TL transmission from failing. And they don't need to be abused in order to fail.

I'm not suggesting that the OP avoid buying a TL. It's just that transmission reliabilty is a real issue and it's best to be aware of that before buying.

I researched second generation TLs extensively before buying and I was really surprised how bad the transmission problem was. I figured it was an Acura and it should be incredibly reliable.

One of the big reasons I bought my particular TL is that the previous owner had just installed a new transmission and it came with a two year warranty.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:08 PM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by Bob_F
That's great.

But all it takes is one non-warranty covered transmission failure to drive TL ownership costs through the roof.

And there's little in terms of preventative maintenance that will keep a TL transmission from failing. And they don't need to be abused in order to fail.

I'm not suggesting that the OP avoid buying a TL. It's just that transmission reliabilty is a real issue and it's best to be aware of that before buying.

I researched second generation TLs extensively before buying and I was really surprised how bad the transmission problem was. I figured it was an Acura and it should be incredibly reliable.

One of the big reasons I bought my particular TL is that the previous owner had just installed a new transmission and it came with a two year warranty.
it sucks that some of us actually bought the car with a bad bloodline of trannies in our knowledge "me".

i just know that if mine ever conks out on me, i'll be having a 6th gear shortly after. b/c by the time mine starts to die "tranny or engine" my car will be nearly worthless and i might as well keep it as another project car.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

dont do it....especially after learning about this site...the mod bugs will bite u in the ass and u wont stop modding....lol....if u got the money then go ahead and buy it but like mentioned above keep in mind the maintenance it will need if it wasnt done yet....this is yet the BEST vehicle i have bought
Old 05-14-2009, 05:57 PM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

Originally Posted by Bob_F
That's great.

I agree with you but any car can have a tranny go out. My dads 02 4runner, always changed oil on time using mobil one every 4k miles but the engine went out at 87k. I do agree that theres a more chance the tranny will go out on the tl but i dont think it should be something to scare you away. Ive had my car for a long time now and truthfully still love it. I use to take it to LA which is a good 5-6 hour drive without ever thinking what if it breaks down. It was a very very reliable car. Not bashing any one just expressing how i feel. Its like saying dont buy a house with a stove becuase they cause fires.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Another TL Lover

did anybody notice that this guy only has one post? which is the begging of this thread, stop wasting your time hes not even reading this
Old 05-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Type-SuperFast
did anybody notice that this guy only has one post? which is the begging of this thread, stop wasting your time hes not even reading this

give the kid a break - he's probably on facebook talking to hot chicks

I just bought an '02 TL-X (w/navi) with 130k miles. Its been serviced and I paid $6k this past week.

Love it!! (but I have to add sirius soon!)
Old 05-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

Originally Posted by goMO
give the kid a break - he's probably on facebook talking to hot chicks

I just bought an '02 TL-X (w/navi) with 130k miles. Its been serviced and I paid $6k this past week.

Love it!! (but I have to add sirius soon!)
Well if thats the case then hes definitely going to want a TL. Nobody's getting any pussy putting around in a Focus... And honestly if you're dump money into anything it should at least help get your laid right? TL FTW!
Old 05-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Pro

Damn I drive a TL Type S and I still don't get any pussy.

Ehhhh...I guess he bought a different car.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Porkchop Sandwiches!

You're not hitting VTEC often enough.