Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prototype Racing headers Dyno

Interesting.

http://www.prototyperacing.com/dyno.htm
Old 07-30-2002, 01:54 AM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Start at 4300 RPM? WTF? They should've showed the dyno from 2000 or 2500 RPM and on. I bet they lost a whole bunch of power down low. 6 into 1 headers are usually more for high end power, but it was weird how it was all in the midrange.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone explain why they didnt start from 0?

The numbers here are the data obtained after the shift into 3rd gear, and up to the redline.

What happens off the line?
Old 07-30-2002, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

I don't know about this dyno. The same topic is over at acl.com and everyone over there is a little skeptical too. Here are my problems with it....

1) why start at 4300 RPM??

2) Why do the mods on an already modified car? I want to see the gains from stock if I only add headers.... we can figure out the rest.

Ok... so I only have 2 big ones. I'm going to agree with AcuraTL and say that they probably lost power down low compared to the Comptech's. I don't know.. I had a good feeling about these originally, but now I'm very suspicious about them. It appears as if they're hiding too much. Hopefully a business/marketing person will chime in over there and explain to them why a bigger graph on a stock car is necessary. I don't know about you, but the part in that link about starting the graph at 4300RPM "b/c that's where most normal driving occurs" sounds like total BS to me. I know I'm not usually at 5k RPMs for too long......
Old 07-30-2002, 02:42 PM
Banned

ooofa

There are too many reasons not to get excited about these headers. One, price is too high.... I've been seeing the Comptech headers (the superior product) going for $900 recently. Also, did you guys take a look at the picture of those headers? Look at all the welds (scary), then take a look at your Comptechs(nice). The gains that they are showing aren't even that much. Compound that with the preferential treatment the dealer gives me because I have Comptechs, and you can be assured, I won't be swapping any time soon.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Sounds real fishy. Has there been any talk about these being C.A.R.B. legal?
Old 07-30-2002, 10:52 PM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by AcuraTL
Start at 4300 RPM? WTF? They should've showed the dyno from 2000 or 2500 RPM and on. I bet they lost a whole bunch of power down low. 6 into 1 headers are usually more for high end power, but it was weird how it was all in the midrange.
Most dyno's I have seen start at around 3k - 3.5k, After first gear when WOT your car never falls under 4k, so to me it seems like a good dyno. but headers usually only give you most of the power at high end, this headers show very good gains on the lower end, weird, but possible. The negative numbers on the high end are against the comptech, meaning they are still producing high numbers from stock, but not as good as comptechs.

In other words these headers seem to give you around 10-14hp on the 4.3k to 6.4k RPM band, which is the were the power is needed. Not like the comptech were it only gives you power at 5.8 RPM +
Old 07-31-2002, 12:39 AM
Instructor

Bitium has the right idea . . . I said the same thing at acura-cl.com . . . I'm just gonna copy and paste what i put there

On the Prototype Racing website, they explain why the dyno started at 4300 rpm. It's because when the car was dyno'd the car shifted from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. The data started at 4300 rpm because thats where 3rd gear began at right after the shift. If any of you guys know how the dyno works . . . you have to set the datalogger to the gear that you want to dyno. Since 3rd gear on the accord is the closest gear to a 1:1 ratio (direct drive) it'll give you the most accurate power figures. The data in first and 2nd gear are invalid because they'll falsely give you higher torque figures since the gear ratio is a lot lower ratio than 3rd gear. Also the shifts show up as blips on the dyno chart. If you ever had a car dyno'd you'll know what i mean

BTW, the car dyno'd was chosen because that was the only car that volunteered that had CT headers so that direct comparison could be made between the 2 headers. Anyways, the typical order of mods start from simple bolt ons and go from there, usually increasing to more serious mods that usually cost more. For example, people usually do the simple intake aftermarket upgrade first, then exhaust, then headers. People in the market for headers usually have the easier & cheaper bolts-ons first. It just makes sense.

Prototype Racing is not trying hide anything, they were even ready to scrap the entire project if it didn't produce worthwhile gains. The equal length design on the headers did what it was meant to, to produce better low to mid range torque. This makes the car more streetable and produce extra power where you spend most of your time driving. I mean how often do you drive around town at 6000 rpm.
Old 07-31-2002, 02:52 AM
Burning Brakes

yah, but they just need to learn a few business ideas...like speedy time to market for one.
Old 07-31-2002, 06:37 AM
...and then there was One

Originally posted by GIMMICK
This makes the car more streetable and produce extra power where you spend most of your time driving. I mean how often do you drive around town at 6000 rpm.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:04 AM
Banned

Comptech's dyno of their own headers starts at 2750RPM. Apples to apples.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:25 AM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by Brian
Comptech's dyno of their own headers starts at 2750RPM. Apples to apples.
Not like they do anything from 2750 RPM to 5250 RPM

I would like to see how this headers perform on a type S.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Hmm I want mid range and low end gains. Maybe I should get these before I install my Comptechs. When are they due for production?
Old 07-31-2002, 09:16 PM
Intermediate

Just a note, the spike at the end of the dyno run and the "downspike" at the beginning of the pull are gear change transients and should be tossed out of your graph comparisons.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Not only is equal length a great benefit in header design but being that these are also a "long" tube header, I was (and is) very anxious to see it's gains and eventual availability. Long tube headers are a big factor in making more HP/TQ then "shorty" headers like the Comptechs headers, esp. in the low & mid range.

But the other issue is quality. Comptechs are a proven quality piece while I have never heard of Prototype Racing (they seem to do some work on some cool little Lotus' but my lack of hearing any word of mouth about them, I am a bit skeptical of it's quality and workmanship on these. Yet, I am still very interested in these headers....(especially for a Type-S) but I'll want more info about it's quality, as well as the warranty and customer support they will provide.

I like the design, I just hope they are quality piece which "bolts on" correctly and lasts. I'd hate to be installing these and have a hard time getting them to align & fit.

We'll just have to wait a little more I guess Hopefully it comes out soon.
Old 08-01-2002, 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by Bitium

Not like they do anything from 2750 RPM to 5250 RPM
All the more reason that Prototype should start the dyno graph lower. I mean.. if they make more power down low compared to Comptech, then this is a huge selling point they're missing out on. Comptech is willing to show the graph from 2750, even when there's not much gain, so Prototype should jump on this opportunity to show them up.

If I saw that graph from say 2.5k and they were 3-5HP ahead of the Comptech, with the rest of the graph still applying as is.... it would paint a much better better picture and do nothing but help Prototype. With that it mind it makes even less sense why they start the graph so high......
Old 08-01-2002, 12:52 PM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by juniorbean

All the more reason that Prototype should start the dyno graph lower. I mean.. if they make more power down low compared to Comptech, then this is a huge selling point they're missing out on. Comptech is willing to show the graph from 2750, even when there's not much gain, so Prototype should jump on this opportunity to show them up.

If I saw that graph from say 2.5k and they were 3-5HP ahead of the Comptech, with the rest of the graph still applying as is.... it would paint a much better better picture and do nothing but help Prototype. With that it mind it makes even less sense why they start the graph so high......
I was thinking the same thing, if he is getting such good gains at low end, he should be starting the dyno at 2.5k rpms.

I want to see a dyno, from stock(type S) to prototype headers, they need to do that.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:40 PM
Burning Brakes

i'll volunteer my car for that! i jus have a drop in filter for my engine mods.